News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Doomtown (A Deadlands RPG/Interest Check)

Started by Ciosa, February 23, 2013, 04:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kokaine

This seems fun (and possibly playable) so I'm gonna say I'm interested.

I know nothing about Deadlands however and am still a noob when it comes to system games >.>
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Kuroneko

Quote from: Mithlomwen on February 24, 2013, 09:39:33 AM
LOVE him!  I have a couple of his CDs.  It's amazingly beautiful, and so relaxing. 

I used to use his CD's in my massage clinic when Iw as still practicing for just that reason.  Have you every heard Coyote Oldman?  They're a two person group of flutes and sometimes pan pipes, and also lovely.

Coyote Oldman Tear Of The Moon
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

AndyZ

Quote from: Kokaine on February 24, 2013, 09:45:03 AM
I know nothing about Deadlands however and am still a noob when it comes to system games >.>

For my oversimplification of Deadlands, I'd explain that it's the Wild West with various supernatural elements, usually horror-based.  Some of the public stuff is that they found a sort of super-coal called Ghost Rock which has resulted in a large number of technological innovations, adding the occasional steampunk device to the historical setting.  Ghost Rock is more valuable than gold and there's a lot of prospectors for it.

Anything you can imagine in a Wild West concept should work very well, though.

*edited for spoiler purposes
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Ciosa

Andy, can you please edit the above to remove anything which can be considered a spoiler?  I.e, most of the second paragraph?

QuoteWhat do I need to play?
There are no required resources.  Information will be posted to the wiki.  Knowledge of the game world is not required.  Note that, there are elements of the overarching story which are spoilers – if you are familiar with the world of Deadlands, please do not post 'spoiler' information here.
That's going to include anything and everything not directly attributable to ghostrock.

Ciosa

Quote from: Mithlomwen on February 24, 2013, 09:39:33 AM

Okay so, what are the particulars about creating a character?

Quote from: Kokaine on February 24, 2013, 09:45:03 AM
This seems fun (and possibly playable) so I'm gonna say I'm interested.

A character creation system is still being hammered out at this time.  Focus mostly on concept, and I'll be working on providing an in depth background of the world for people to reference.  The major point of consideration is that the Civil War is still ongoing.  While it's not being fought with the same intensity it was in the early sixties, there is still a USA and a CSA - this has left most of the West as open territory, and also allowed for the development of two Native American nations.  Utah and Lost Angels (a correlative for Los Angelos) have both declared themselves independent, as well.  (More on these later)

AndyZ

Apologies: I was offline when the request went out.  Mith, thanks for getting it for me.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Muse

Ooh! 

Do you still have room?  This game has interested me for some time.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Ciosa

Yes, we do!  I'm still hard at work on setup, but this is going to be a 'more the merrier' game.  :)

Niferbelle

I think I'm going to wait for a little more background before I throw together a character concept. I'd bee happy to play an NPC or two as well.

Muse

I'm not sure who or what I'd like to play.  Huckstres and mad scientists are both very interesting concepts too me.  I'd like to see at least the gender and preference spread before I settle on something. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Phaia

1876 is cool as well since you have all the classic guns out by the Colt Peacemaker Frontier Six-Shooter  [1873] was out. Also the Winchester Model 1873, which actaully used the same rounds. So only one type of bullet needed to be carryied

I like the Winchester Model 1866 also nick named the 'Yellow Boy' For its gleaming bronze finish and had a heavier round... never caught on with the US though

Then we have all sorts of fun stuff Dynamite was created in 1867 so we have that as well

Never underestimate what a well placed stick of dynamite can do!!

Anyway I am looking forward to this

Phaia

Ciosa

Quote from: Niferbelle on February 24, 2013, 04:12:30 PM
I think I'm going to wait for a little more background before I throw together a character concept. I'd bee happy to play an NPC or two as well.

More information's available in the history section, and I've coded out some bare-bones character creation stuff - but there's a lot more that I'll need to do. 

Tomorrow I'm hoping to finish up the Sioux Union, the Coyote Confederation, the Republic of Deseret, and the City of Lost Angels. 

Please note - those of you eager to build characters, I still haven't posted a comprehensive character sheet.  I don't intend to for a bit, yet, as I still have quite a bit of work to do yet on the wiki.  I'm more than happy to answer questions here or by PM, though.

Pumpkin Seeds

Proud Geek

I am new to the idea of a group game but you had me at Western themed. :D If you are still looking for people to join in I will give it a go as long as there is patience since this is a somewhat new concept for me. :)

Ciosa

Quote from: Proud Geek on February 25, 2013, 04:51:38 PM
I am new to the idea of a group game but you had me at Western themed. :D If you are still looking for people to join in I will give it a go as long as there is patience since this is a somewhat new concept for me. :)
Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 25, 2013, 05:45:28 AM
:: peeks:: Woohoo for the Western!

Welcome aboard!  I'm going to do my utmost to make the game accessible to players unfamiliar with Deadlands.  I'm working on backgroudn information on the wiki, now, as well as a streamlined character creation system.  Glad to have everyone aboard!

xPeachyPuff

I absolutely love the idea and thought that has gone into this roleplay and express extreme interest. I have an idea for a character already; I'm feeling quite inspired. However, I'm also quite worried as I've never, ever, joined a roleplay like this....Ever...and am feeling a little intimidated. But still, I wanted to express my interest and not chicken out > < Hope you don't mind.

Thanks,
-xSRx

Ciosa

Quote from: xSnorkleRainbow on February 25, 2013, 07:38:57 PM
I absolutely love the idea and thought that has gone into this roleplay and express extreme interest. I have an idea for a character already; I'm feeling quite inspired. However, I'm also quite worried as I've never, ever, joined a roleplay like this....Ever...and am feeling a little intimidated. But still, I wanted to express my interest and not chicken out > < Hope you don't mind.

Thanks,
-xSRx

Don't be intimidated at all.  :)  I've mostly finished up the history section - just a few more details on the rails I need to throw in - and then flesh out the character creation as well. 

As far as character creation, I don't want anyone intimidated by the numbers,  I'm happy to help as much as people need, and answer any questions.  So thanks for being brave!

xPeachyPuff

Quote from: Ciosa on February 25, 2013, 07:44:33 PM
Don't be intimidated at all.  :)  I've mostly finished up the history section - just a few more details on the rails I need to throw in - and then flesh out the character creation as well. 

As far as character creation, I don't want anyone intimidated by the numbers,  I'm happy to help as much as people need, and answer any questions.  So thanks for being brave!

Thank you for being so welcoming xD I've taken a quick look at the Wiki you've created, though I need to read everything properly at some point, but I've never been in a roleplay that has all the trait points and stuff like that, so that is what makes me a little nervous. But like I said, if you're all OK to accommodate someone like that then I'd love to learn and I'm sure I'll pick it up quickly (:

-xSRx

Ciosa

Anyone who's really uncomfortable with the points system can simply work off a concept, and I'll do my best to make a character that matches the concept closely.  So don't worry about the traits; more than anything I'm looking for good, interesting characters that will make Gomorra all the more intriguing.

xPeachyPuff

Quote from: Ciosa on February 25, 2013, 08:01:59 PM
Anyone who's really uncomfortable with the points system can simply work off a concept, and I'll do my best to make a character that matches the concept closely.  So don't worry about the traits; more than anything I'm looking for good, interesting characters that will make Gomorra all the more intriguing.

Awesome, thank you very much (: I look forwards to seeing more then!

-xSRx

Pumpkin Seeds

Phaia

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 25, 2013, 08:26:08 PM
:: bounces and does kung fu::

**does her indiana jones impression and shots the kung fu bouncer**

:o ;D

Phaia

Wulfspire

If you are still looking for people I would love to join this game. You said more the merrier, so hopefully that stands!

I've little experience with Deadlands Classic, but I've GM'd multiple Reloaded games for my table-top group (including The Flood and Last Sons), which makes me very familiar with the world. I'll post no spoilers though, don't worry, I abhor them! It's more fun to watch the reactions of those new to the setting as they learn the various truths from "behind the screen" than to ruin it. 

Looking through character creation, I did not see Texas Ranger or Agent available, not sure if that is a Classic thing, a choice you've made, or just haven't made it into the Law Man edge text. If you are allowing them, I'd love to play a "one riot, one ranger" Texas Ranger. :) Otherwise, I'm leaning towards a Doubting Thomas gunfighter/gambler, looking to earn the title of fastest draw in the west!

Phaia

Hey Ciosa would you be adverse to someone playing a Brother/sister team

Had an idea for the sister being maybe a huskter and the brother a blessed and both being hunters

HMmmm

So many possibilities

Phaia

Ciosa

Quote from: Wannabe on February 25, 2013, 09:06:07 PM
If you are still looking for people I would love to join this game. You said more the merrier, so hopefully that stands!

I've little experience with Deadlands Classic, but I've GM'd multiple Reloaded games for my table-top group (including The Flood and Last Sons), which makes me very familiar with the world. I'll post no spoilers though, don't worry, I abhor them! It's more fun to watch the reactions of those new to the setting as they learn the various truths from "behind the screen" than to ruin it. 

Looking through character creation, I did not see Texas Ranger or Agent available, not sure if that is a Classic thing, a choice you've made, or just haven't made it into the Law Man edge text. If you are allowing them, I'd love to play a "one riot, one ranger" Texas Ranger. :) Otherwise, I'm leaning towards a Doubting Thomas gunfighter/gambler, looking to earn the title of fastest draw in the west!

Please don't open this if you've never played Deadlands before.
Re: Both Texas Rangers and Pinkertons, I'm not wanting to include them simply because they can come to represent a faction unto themselves - and given one of the key elements I'm looking to have in the game is the conflict of different factions, there's an upper limit where I felt what they added wasn't interesting, politically speaking.  (I love both the Rangers and the Agency, so this wasn't a lack of personal interest in them.)  The game's going to have a system of politics and economics running in the background, and in many ways I want that to be the focus of the game.  (But played out in very interesting, personal ways, not as a dry abstraction) I want characters to have a hook and a reason to be in Gomorra - a personal investment of some kind.  Characters with obligations that could and should take them away from the city felt like a step in the wrong direction.  Hunting things that go 'bump' is not the focus of the game, it's going to be a side-activity; also having characters that do so professionally standing around removes some of the horror of the game.  Whenever I've run Deadlands tabletop, I've never let players start in either organization; first I feel like it cheapens them a bit if its not earned, and second the horror element loses so much luster if there's someone standing around going 'Let me look that up in the monsterpedia...'

Phaia... stop saying 'monsters' in this thread.  :P  It's a spoiler!