Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize?

Started by Elayne, October 09, 2009, 02:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Odin on October 12, 2009, 12:44:15 PM
If you think this award is a big accomplishment how about this. America looks ten times better than it has in previous years. When you talk to foreigners about your country you can actually not have to hear them ridicule your head of state with you unable to make any retort. He's bridged gaps with Europe and the Muslim world and he's started picking us back up out of the dumps we were in. If you think those aren't accomplishments then I don't know what to tell you.
I don't particularly care what foreigners think of my country because:

Europe makes us look like choir boys.
Most American wars are spent cleaning up someone else's mess. (I.E. WWI, WW2, Vietnam formerly known as French Indochina.)

Everyone hates big brother as far as I'm concerned, and don't get me wrong, I like Europe and the rest of the world for the most part but I don't think people with a more violent history have the right to ridicule a country over nine or so wars. Most of the lasting very short amounts of time, and very rarely America's fault. Just a little historical perspective.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Zorak

One could make an argument, that however ill conceived or timed, Iraq is also "cleaning up someone else's mess". 

Cythieus

Quote from: ramster on October 12, 2009, 05:44:47 PM
Not being hated as much as your predecessor shouldn't be enough to qualify for the prize though. It's far too early in the man's presidency to say he's done much to further peace in the world. He took five months just to decide which puppy to get his daughters!

Where did I say anything about not being hated...I said he repaired things.

Vekseid

Quote from: Inkidu on October 12, 2009, 07:01:54 PM

Most American wars are spent cleaning up someone else's mess. (I.E. WWI, WW2, Vietnam formerly known as French Indochina.)

Everyone hates big brother as far as I'm concerned, and don't get me wrong, I like Europe and the rest of the world for the most part but I don't think people with a more violent history have the right to ridicule a country over nine or so wars. Most of the lasting very short amounts of time, and very rarely America's fault. Just a little historical perspective.

...what wars has Norway started since America was founded?

The Overlord

Quote from: ramster on October 12, 2009, 12:37:06 PM
What does it say about a leader whose biggest achievement is winning the Peace Prize, and not much else? Bloody hell, he's made me agree with Rush Limbaugh for the first time ever.

At least he hasn't had a chance to win it by killing as many people as Kissinger though.

You mean as opposed to his predecessor? Who started one war, fumbled two, allowed by far the worst act of terrorism on US soil on his watch, eroded civil rights, and committed acts that, were they done by the ‘rogue nations’ on their list, would have been termed treasonous.

At least Obama has been, the conservative right be damned for mewling otherwise, taking the right track. We’ll see how things look in the second half of his term, none of the things on his plate are overnight fixes. Not even close.

Zorak

Quote from: The Overlord on October 13, 2009, 01:42:26 AM
We’ll see how things look in the second half of his term, none of the things on his plate are overnight fixes. Not even close.

YES.

And yet, for all those people who seem to say they hate him, or he's doing a terrible job, please read the above quote... you have to give things a chance before you can make a determination.  JMHO.  Otherwise it's just conjecture and assumption ... and you know what happens when you... "A S S U M E"  ;)

Inkidu

Quote from: Vekseid on October 12, 2009, 11:29:46 PM
...what wars has Norway started since America was founded?
Fine if Norway wants to ridicule us go for it, but I haven't heard anything.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Vekseid

Quote from: Inkidu on October 13, 2009, 08:08:17 AM
Fine if Norway wants to ridicule us go for it, but I haven't heard anything.

Except for the topic of this thread? O_o

OldSchoolGamer

I think it's pretty safe to say that Obama's Nobel was more a political statement than a recognition of Obama's accomplishments to date...because the list of said accomplishments, excepting becoming the first U.S. President of African descent, is rather thin and unimpressive (at least when measured against what other recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize can claim). 

However, I WILL say Obama's foreign policy is a refreshing change of pace from the "cowboy" brand of diplomacy Bush practiced.  He's treating the rest of the world like it actually matters...and at least one part of that world returned the favor big-time.  Oh, the conservatives are making a big deal of this--like Obama was out there actively vying for the prize--but quite frankly I'm not seeing what the American Right is bringing to the table, other than "don't do what Obama says."  (He tried to bring the Olympics to America, and look at the heat he got for actually getting off his duff to try and make that happen...)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on October 13, 2009, 07:40:17 PM
  (He tried to bring the Olympics to America, and look at the heat he got for actually getting off his duff to try and make that happen...)

I'm sorry that was a bit over the top for the president to do.. now the First Lady.. it's the sort of thing that would be expected of her. The president has a bunch of things that should have been addressed like..oh.. health care, the budget, ah.. the issues in the gulf. Affairs of State.

Cythieus

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 13, 2009, 10:41:34 PM
I'm sorry that was a bit over the top for the president to do.. now the First Lady.. it's the sort of thing that would be expected of her. The president has a bunch of things that should have been addressed like..oh.. health care, the budget, ah.. the issues in the gulf. Affairs of State.

Remember it was his home town up for the bid and he's not the first president to do that. I mean seriously, most of the complaining you're hearing is stuff that other presidents do and it gets ignored. People are being far too critical.

Kate

I just want to say ... that peace prize deserving or not... come to think of it  I think Obama deserves all adoration he gets.

Usually the world wants some scandal (his "connections" to extreme mulslim "terrorists" made me think ...oh you HAVE to be joking...

... but seriously I frankly don't think there any super scandal that is true of him when he is in office - heaps of small ones - sure... but major ones like ones previously - unlikely.

I think he has the means and drive (and support) to do things properly and doesn't really have time to chase Marilyn Munroes doing so (No need to with a first lady like that !)

Inviting Hilary Clinton into the position she has was one smart political move, having a sprinkling of republicans as advisors another one (not sure if that is still the case - correct me if im wrong). Hey for those up to date with american politics ...

is Hillary happy doing what she is doing ?

Is it a position Americans on average think suits her ?

Chea

Quote from: Inkidu on October 12, 2009, 07:01:54 PM

What are you talking about? Neither in WW1 nor WW2 was the USA "cleaning up someone else's mess", in WW1 a German unterseeboot sunk the British cruiseship Lusitania which had Americans onboard, and in WW2 the Japanese Empire attacked Pearl Harbor! The Vietnam War on the other hand we no business going there, we weren't attacked.

Europe has been in the civilization business ( in the european sense of the term) centuries before the USA was thought of, The USA is a noob compared to the old world. The USA has only existed only 233 years while Europe and the Old World have been at it for millenia

Cythieus

If by civilized business you mean Imperialism and hollowing out nearby countries for resources and slaves, then that's not much to brag about. Much Europes existence was spent in the Dark Ages too.

It's really hard to down on other countries and groups for what they're doing without looking back to the past. The US might be a very young country, but its accomplished a lot in its time here.

Jude

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 13, 2009, 10:41:34 PM
He wasn't just trying to bring the Olympics to Chicago, he was trying to bring them to the United States.

This point cannot be emphasized enough:  Chicago was the only place in the US under consideration.  It wasn't like he was trying to take it away from anywhere else in the US.  It was Chicago in the US or somewhere outside of the US.

Getting the Olympics here would help the economy too.

Oniya

Quote from: Kate on October 14, 2009, 03:23:04 AM
I think he has the means and drive (and support) to do things properly and doesn't really have time to chase Marilyn Munroes doing so (No need to with a first lady like that !)

Although Jackie wasn't anything to pooh-pooh either.  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sasha

Normally I never interact in political or religious conversations ...but to be quite honest this thread struck a nerve in me. I am a republican for the most part is how I have been voting in my later years it seems. Started out a democrat when i was younger the libertarian ideals were much more appealing I think. Either way , I do try and judge each candidate that is running on their platform and what they can bring to the table along with ...can they actually do it .

Obama brought a lot of good ideas to the table ..I think he had alot of  sound commitments and a good deal of ambition and empowerment behind him. He did motivate many to just actually VOTE ...and has taken what we call a minority "the race card " and given a significance to the American dream. Even a black man can succeed and become the president of the United States. That is saying alot ...especially since i live in a rural area and there is not a black skinned human within 50 miles of me in any direction.

I don't agree on many of his policies ..however he is the president and I do try and support him and pray for him. I wouldn't want the job. I age fast enough just trying to get through figuring out how to put food on my table and keep my nose above the rising cost of everything.

Has he earned the Nobel Peace prize ...no not in my book. Even he admitted in his own speech that he had not done anything to deserve it . Though turning down what 1.4 million kind of hard to do even for one that fires CEO's of the Auto Industry , rebukes obnoxious commission payments out to those that work for financial institutes and set up Czars over industries that only report to him, forgetting about the media that is curtailed when they catch him in a falsehood.

Giving out an award for what you hope to accomplish .. inspire to accomplish ....and may be capable of doing ...is rather idiotic. Though I did find Huckabee ..in his joke session amusing . I mean to quote him as best I can ..."So even if your a slacker at work .....not an issue go ask your boss for a raise based on what you actually might be able to do if you ever decided to live up to the potential you have in you, hell you might be able to show up for work on time , stay over , work through a few breaks ...outdo the quota for the week. It is possible you grow out of being lazy and doing what gets you by so your not fired and get to that paycheek at the end of the week. I am sure everyone will increase their earnings on this merit alone . "

Smiles ...I have vented , still sitting here watching now to see how many of those promises he talked about will actually take place and sincerely looking forward to these peace movements about to bud into existence from his encouragement. God only knows I feel safer knowing its just around the corner .

Enjoy your day ..it is what you make it.

Sasha

Zorak

Quote from: Sashina the Soul Eater on October 28, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
  Though turning down what 1.4 million kind of hard to do even for one that fires CEO's of the Auto Industry , rebukes obnoxious commission payments out to those that work for financial institutes and set up Czars over industries that only report to him, forgetting about the media that is curtailed when they catch him in a falsehood.

Sasha,

I actually thought you had a well formed, unbiased reply until I saw this :(    You should note that the entire 1.4 million was immediately given to charity, not placed in his pockets.  So, whether one deserves it or not, the opportunity to take 1.4 million and give it to those in need seems silly NOT to do.  Those little digs really take away from what's otherwise a well thought out response. 

Everyone needs to remember - this is not a contest that our president "entered".  It's not anything he lobbied for, or asked for.  What happened was completely outside his control.  Those who don't believe he deserved it are being inappropriate by pointing their finger at him, or using it to make a political point.

Where your issue should be (if you disagree) is with the Nobel commission, and nowhere else.  There isn't anyone who could argue that our President handled the situation with anything less than the grace the office demanded.  Love him or hate him, this is not his issue.

And as an aside - anyone who believes the media is "curtailed" hasn't been watching FOX News ;) 

Morven

I must confess that all I thought of when I heard of it was that he'd won the "Thank goodness George W. Bush is gone!" award.
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences

Zorak

Quote from: Morven on October 28, 2009, 04:36:42 PM
I must confess that all I thought of when I heard of it was that he'd won the "Thank goodness George W. Bush is gone!" award.

You're not the only one :)   SNL had a great skit with Obama doing a speech where he said something like "All I've really done is 'not be George W. Bush', and I haven't been George W. Bush for only about 9 and 1/2 months! "

Rhapsody

The Commission doesn't always give out the prize as a reward for something groundbreaking.  Sometimes, they give it out when they think that the current trend of behaviour has been interrupted enough to warrant reinforcement and encouragement.  Obama's not the first guy who's Nobel win has been questioned, and as long as that prize is being handed out, he won't be the last.

For instance: Henry Kissinger won the award in '73 for his work towards ending US involvement in Vietnam and correct policy errors there.  Not bad, probably deserving.  But the fact that he was implicated as being a driving force behind not only the escalation of America's war policy when it came to Vietnam AS WELL AS selling out democracy and civil rights in foreign countries in order to support right-wing dictators in order to further the Cold War probably should have disqualified him from the prize to begin with.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Dirge on October 28, 2009, 04:51:37 PM
The Commission doesn't always give out the prize as a reward for something groundbreaking.  Sometimes, they give it out when they think that the current trend of behaviour has been interrupted enough to warrant reinforcement and encouragement.  Obama's not the first guy who's Nobel win has been questioned, and as long as that prize is being handed out, he won't be the last.

For instance: Henry Kissinger won the award in '73 for his work towards ending US involvement in Vietnam and correct policy errors there.  Not bad, probably deserving.  But the fact that he was implicated as being a driving force behind not only the escalation of America's war policy when it came to Vietnam AS WELL AS selling out democracy and civil rights in foreign countries in order to support right-wing dictators in order to further the Cold War probably should have disqualified him from the prize to begin with.

True but also look at who does the selection of the recipient of the peace prize. Politicians from the Norwegian Parliment.. so they have an agenda like any other politician.

Zorak

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 28, 2009, 05:04:28 PM
True but also look at who does the selection of the recipient of the peace prize. Politicians from the Norwegian Parliament.. so they have an agenda like any other politician.

Yeah but... but... they're Norwegians... I mean, I spend a LOT of time in Minnesota, and I have to be honest, I've never seen a bigger collection of "warm-fuzzy-do-good-soft-kitten-loving-golden-rule-following-family-minded" people in my entire life !

* Z brings up his shields, ready for a barrage of Norwegian-sourced anti-stereotype lectures, and hopes that any Norwegians who happen to be reading realize that he's meant what he's said in the very nicest way and was only trying to inject a little levity into an otherwise serious discussion... *

Oniya

Quote from: Zorak on October 28, 2009, 05:16:16 PM
Yeah but... but... they're Norwegians... I mean, I spend a LOT of time in Minnesota, and I have to be honest, I've never seen a bigger collection of "warm-fuzzy-do-good-soft-kitten-loving-golden-rule-following-family-minded" people in my entire life !

Then how do you explain lutefisk?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Morven

Quote from: Oni on October 28, 2009, 05:21:28 PM
Then how do you explain lutefisk?

Originally, hard times.  More recently, tradition.  Possibly, a sick sado-masochistic urge.
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences