Of Earth, Water, Fire and Air (FULL)

Started by bubby, September 12, 2012, 04:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Valentine

Minor question: This seems to have some fantasy elements to it, so I am curios if this is more 'human' flavoring(as I see lots of those sorts) or are you taking on fictional races as well? I'm just curios what type of overall 'world' this is for this game. >.>

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

bubby

Quote from: RipTide on September 14, 2012, 07:27:43 PM
I'll try to have a character sheet up soon! Sorry for the delay.

No major hurry darlin', it'll be a bot before this game begins in earnest.

Quote from: Drake Valentine on September 14, 2012, 11:19:01 PM
Minor question: This seems to have some fantasy elements to it, so I am curios if this is more 'human' flavoring(as I see lots of those sorts) or are you taking on fictional races as well? I'm just curios what type of overall 'world' this is for this game. >.>

What race were you thinking?

The main reason I have everyone as human is due to the fact that fictional races mostly always hold inherent magic, and the only magic in this game is control of the Elements. And the Queen has killed everyone who's had an inkling. Making everyone 'human' just makes it less of an issue with any others holding magic.

Starlequin

Name: Roman Cooper (AKA Roman Caldera)

Physical Description:

Affiliation/Title: Rebel/Disgraced Noble/Gambler

History: Roman Caldera had an easier childhood than most. He was born into a family of nobility whose allegiance to the Queen was unquestioned, and for much of his young life he had no idea of what went on in the villages outside his sheltered world. And honestly, he wouldn't have given much of a damn if he had. Roman has always been a bit selfish, and he's more than once put his own well-being and the honor of his family name ahead of the good of others. But just because a man is raised to be heartless doesn't mean he won't find some sliver of good in himself on his own.

One day while accompanying his father to inspect some of the family's holdings on the border of their territory, an incident with a small band of knights and a merchant's caravan showed Roman the sort of oppression that people suffered under the Queen's rule. Upon returning home, Roman packed a bag and snuck out of the manor during the night, forsook his family name and struck out on his own, intent on learning whether things were really so horrible throughout the whole of the queendom -- and whether he was capable of doing anything about it.

Now Roman Cooper, he's learned the answer to the first question. Things are indeed horrible everywhere, and the situation only grows worse by the day. The Queen bleeds the lands with her accursed magic, and bleeds the people with her reign of taxes and terror. Roman understands why his family has remained loyal to Saryana, but after what he's seen during his five years of travel, he no longer can. The time has come for him to find an answer to his second question, and sadly, that answer is beginning to look as desperate as the first...

In an effort to keep himself as close as possible to the affluent standard of living to which he's accustomed, Roman has taken up gambling, usually in card or dice games, as a sort of hobby/profession. He's proven to be surpisingly good at it, often winning large sums of money from merchants or fellow nobles too stupid to hold onto their coin. However, the thrill of the game does have a tendency to override Roman's common sense, and he's developed a rather powerful addiction to the sport. As a result, Roman almost never turns down a wager, no matter the stakes: money...time...his life...

Strengths: Thanks to his wealthy upbringing, Roman learned horsemanship, archery and bladeplay from an early age, and thanks to his abrasively aristocratic personality and initial lack of understanding of the graces and manners of the 'common' people, he's been forced to gain a lot of practical experience in those fields, as well. He fights with a pair of long bladed daggers and keeps several small throwing knives hidden in various pockets. Realizing the stakes of a battle are usually life and death, he almost never fights fair and cheats at every opportunity.

Weaknesses: Despite living among 'the little people' for several years, Roman still thinks very much like a noble, and he has a habit of turning his nose up at things he considers distasteful or gauche. This has caused him a lot of trouble in both making and keeping friends and contacts, and it's cost him a great deal in money and effort to smoothe over all the feathers he's ruffled. As well, his proclivity for wagering and losing more than he can afford has gotten him in trouble more than once.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Wajin

Just a quick question, on what technological level are we? I have an idea for a rebel/rebellious gunsmith/tinkerer 
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Drake Valentine

Quote from: bubby on September 15, 2012, 01:50:54 AM

What race were you thinking?

The main reason I have everyone as human is due to the fact that fictional races mostly always hold inherent magic, and the only magic in this game is control of the Elements. And the Queen has killed everyone who's had an inkling. Making everyone 'human' just makes it less of an issue with any others holding magic.

......Orc. >.>`

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

bubby

Quote from: A Japanese Dane on September 15, 2012, 06:33:45 AM
Just a quick question, on what technological level are we? I have an idea for a rebel/rebellious gunsmith/tinkerer

I appreciate the enthusiasm but we're at completely medieval. No guns or tech at all.

Quote from: Drake Valentine on September 15, 2012, 07:50:37 AM
......Orc. >.>`

Aahhh. Though I am very keen on having you in my story Drake, because I've seen your writing and I thoroughly enjoy it, Orc is too much. Although... I might have an idea... I'll PM you with it!

Wajin

Inventor then? Alchemist like, experimenting with stuff, like the alchemists of Europe in the medieval times, maybe supplying the rebels with various projects of his.
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

bubby

Hhhmmm... that might work actually. As long as it's kept totally medieval, I think that would be a nifty addition to the Rebel force. Go ahead and PM me a char sheet when you can, and I'll let you know what I think!

Wajin

Name: Eadric Van Vilmoor
Physical Description:
Affiliation Rebel
Title: Mad Man, Inventor, the mad Alchemist.
History: Eadric Van Vilmoor was born to the eccentric nobleman Wilfred Van Vilmoor. An only child Eadric was spoiled immensely by his father, at an early age his interest in all things relating to the way the world worked was evident, therefore his father bought all the tomes and scrolls he could find, letting his son have the best of the best teachers. As a hobby during his youth he took up archery prefering it . In his father's library Eadric uncovered scrolls and books from before the queens reign, books with knowledge long forgotten, notes from people studying how to harness nature through science, even a few by old "mages". At the age of 20 Eadric was brought into the royal university as an alchemist to try and help the army develop weapons. His research led to several breakthroughs in the way stone could be used to build walls, he had found that by mixing tar and gravel you could get the stones to stick together with greater strength. But all the years of seclusion, deep in research had deteriorated his mind, and he was found carrying out heinous experiments on guards that would mysteriously disappear from the castle, testing the effects of acids on human skin, and discovering what happened when you introduced various herbs to the blood. As he fled the capital Eadric was taken in by the rebels and given a steady supply of prisoners to test his inventions on.
Strengths: Master scientist, genius beyond the scope of most. Happy to any that brings him new knowledge, or new things to study, skilled archer.
Weaknesses: Barking mad, weak social skills, completely unpredictable.

bubby

This is rounding out wonderfully guys!

Later tonight or tomorrow I'll put up a list of who is who and such. With people school/work schedules I know many are very busy, but I'm shooting to begin this game by next weekend at the latest, if not a bit sooner.

I'll use the interim time to gather more Hunters and Rebels... hopefully!

Wajin

Looking forward to playing the mad guy in the bunch :D

Starlequin

I'm suddenly picturing Roman down in Eadric's lab, rolling dice and wagering for a portion of his 'research funds' against service time as a guinea pig...

Wajin

I wouldn't wanna do that if I were you :P not with the things I'm planning on him making for his own personal little arsenal

Starlequin

You clearly do not appreciate the depths of Roman's addiction...to winning... '>.>  Besides, I'm not talking about actually lethal weapons, more like prototypes still in beta that, like, turn his skin blue, or grow tentacles on his gibblies for a few hours... :P

bubby

Wajin

Suddenly I get the sentence "I don't know what'll do to a human.. but it turned my dear cat Percival's liver blue... and made his blood honey sweet.." in my mind

Starlequin

*gulp!* "I, uh...I don't suppose you'd consider a best of three, Doctor? ...No, I rather doubted as much. Still, I'll thank you to refrain from holding any such *shudders* taste tests with my personal fluids, if you'd be so kind..."

RipTide

Name: Anarr

Physical Description: Fair-haired and blue-eyed, Anarr has an almost regal appearance, though any possibility of noble blood is next to impossible. She's thin and tall, her muscles toned and firm. Her lips are a pale pink and her complexion deeply tanned from years spent out in the sun.

Affiliation/Title: Rebel/Water elemental

History: Anarr never had a home. No hearth to curl up to when nights got cold and her dreams frightened her. Despite this, she was always surrounded by family. They just never stayed in one place for very long. Anarr was raised by a nomadic tribe, and by no one person in particular. She has no single mother or father, and does not even know who it was that gave birth to her, but such questions need not be asked. She had all she ever needed with the stars above her, the roots and branches of the trees cradling her to sleep every night, and the constant friendship and companionship of her tribe. It was all quickly taken away from her, however, within but a few moments.

One night, Anarr awoke to the shouts and screams of her tribe and the roar of the flames, the groaning and creaking of the trees as they were licked to ashes by flames. There was no telling how it started, but there were more than enough people who disliked them enough to try and exterminate them with a forest fire. It was burning with rage before she even realized it and survival seemed bleak. Her skin gleamed with sweat from the heat as she dodged burning branches, but the flames quickly rose up all around her, moments away from consuming her sweet flesh.

And that's all she can remember. It was completely black, her memory, of the moments that followed, but that next morning, she awoke, lying in a puddle, surrounded by a perfect circle of green, lush, grass, when everything else around her was charred and black. She had survived the fire, and had never known how, until the day she had almost died.

Life had been hard on her own. She travelled where she could, often imposing on families that were kind enough to at least offer her a meal during the winter when hunting was difficult. One particular day, however, in the summer months, Anarr had been traveling for days and no source of water could be found. There was a terrible drought that year, and Anarr collapsed. Her mouth felt full of sand, her muscles were aching with each slight movement, and she thought she would die of dehydration within moments as she laid upon the crisp, sun-fried grass. But all at once, the sky turned a ghastly gray, and for the first time in months, it rained. It was all she could do to push herself onto her back, opening her mouth to collect water. It was the second time she had been saved, and slowly, Anarr came to the realization of what it all meant.

Strengths: Despite her lack of education, Anarr has a quick mind. She knows what it takes to survive, including hunting, identifying edible flora, how to make shelter, fire, and how to navigate by the stars. It's what she's been doing for the entirety of her life. She is also very skilled with a bow and arrow.

Weaknesses: Unfortunately, while she is good with a long-range weapon, Anarr does not fair well at hand-to-hand combat, though she can manage if she must, at least to not get killed. Not only this, but she has quite the conscience and has a hard time keeping her heart from interfering with her decisions. Also, she has a fear of fire.

Posting Rate = 1-2 posts/story/week

What Does a Siren Crave? === What Does a Siren Prefer?

bubby

GM UPDATE
The Cast So Far

Elementals/Rebels

EARTH: Sam Mcknight (Played by Wolfy)

AIR: Nouvie (Played by Lady Lunarius)

WATER: Anarr (Played by RipTide)

FIRE: 'Bird' (Played by Cyrano)

Rebel Force
Ahltair Maesson *Tentative Leader*(Played by Veluux)
Roman Cooper/Caldera (Played by Starlequin)
Eadric Van Vilmoor (Played by A Japanese Dane)

Novan Te 'litha *Ex-Hunter seeking to join the Rebels* (Played by Featherfall)

Queens Hunters
Roslyn 'Phoenix' Kindle (Played by Veluux)
Elspeth (Played by Sussurus)
Hyperion (Played by TheRaven)
Raven 'Rae' Ironholt (Played by Sussurus)
*waiting on char sheet* (Played by Drake Valentine)

Looking good so far! I'm going to keep the search going for a few days though, because I'd like to round out the Rebel Force with a couple females, and maybe a couple more Hunters as well, perhaps one who's having inner issues with being a killer, plus I'd like the numbers of good vs evil to coincide a bit more.

Wajin

bubby

Well if you know anyone you write with who might be interested let them know I'm looking darlin'!

Featherfall

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name: Novan Te'litha

Physical Description:
In Hunter Gear

On the run:

Affiliation/Title: Ex-Hunter/Aspiring Rebel

History: Novan was just another in a long list of those who have been swayed by the charisma of the queen; just another loyal minion who volunteered for the Hunters. Yet Novan soon proved to be unique among them; his talent with a sword was often compared to a bird in flight, or a fish swimming; a natural master of it who diligently practiced with almost his every waking breath. To say he was the best swordsman among the Hunters was a gross understatement. The Queen herself took a liking to his ability and often called upon him to spar with her, citing that he was the only one who could let her stretch her muscles against a living opponent. They were not serious bouts; he would be appalled at the thought of drawing the blood of his god-queen, and she would have pulverized him anyway, if not with swordskill alone than certainly with her incomparable powers. Though their interactions were close, Novan would not dare call himself the queen’s friend; he would rather be seen as her most dependable warrior, and she agreed. Many called him ‘The Queen’s Blade’, and he relished in that title.

What he did not relish in, however, was the killing.

At first he thought about it the same way any of the Queen’s devoted fanatics thought of it; these were rebels, traitors, filthy heathens who dared touch sacred powers that were the queen’s and the queen’s alone. But, brigands and armed bandits became fathers who claimed they never wanted to light a fire; disgruntled nobles and their conscript armies became mothers who swore that the neighbors who claimed she made water move were lying harpies.

It wasn’t until both mothers and fathers became corpses trying to protect children not old enough to leave their parents’ fields that Novan stopped seeing his Queen as the monster she was, rather than the god she claimed to be. Instead of killing the children, he slew his own Huntsmen, and hid the children in various homes of the village. When he reported back to the queen, he made some cacophony story up that sounded quite plausible, and had the queen nodding her head.

She continued to nod when she tossed him the head of the village elder who had agreed to his plan.

To this day Novan did not know which of them attacked first. He did know that for the first time in his life, his skills, body, and mind were put to a test that they never had been before. He would later muse if what he felt then was what others felt when they faced him; that all his training, all his talent, was worthless in the presence of one of the truly ‘chosen’.

He was forced to leap from a window, covered with wounds, and flee for his life. Now he was one of the pursued and hunted, and on a merry chase he led those who tried to find him, hiding to lick his wounds when could, fending off the sharks who smelled his blood when he couldn’t. Through it all, he cursed his own stupidity and foolishness, both for allowing himself to be used in a madwoman’s quest to hold all power, and for believing, even for a second, that skill alone could ever overcome magic. It was during one lull in what seemed like a never-ending loop of hiding, fighting, and self-pity that he found it; his saving grace, his redemption.

It was an old manual, ancient and barely holding itself together. What little inside Novan could read clearly identified it as a training book for Air users. While the manual was all but useless to him, from its pages he was able to decipher a new sword technique, something that might even the scale against a magic user; the ability to cut through the air itself, forcing air pressure along a straight path that could slice through almost anything.

By itself, it wasn’t enough. But it was a start. And soon there was talk of the former Hunter, who could face the queen and live,  was on the march again…

Strengths: Quite possibly the greatest swordsman of the modern era, or any era. Like any Hunter worth his salt, he is also quite skilled at tracking, investigation, and infiltration.

Weaknesses: Specialized to the point of insanity. Give him a sword or a sword like weapon, and he is a fighting genius. Ask him to fight with only his fists or even another un-sword like weapon, and he is average at best, incompetent at worst. He’s single-minded mission of redemption also makes him deaf to almost anyone else, seeing anyone as a burden that would get in the way regardless of their abilities.

bubby

Seriously gang, we need some female Rebels...it's becoming a sausage fest!  ::)

I of course love it...  >:) ... sexeh mrowr... but our poor Air and Water Elementals will have a hard time, and we need girls for Earth and Fire!

Sussurus

Are you looking specifically for Rebels with Air & Water affinities? Might be helpful to know what level of power / what kind of abilities these characters can have...

Starlequin

Quote... but our poor Air and Water Elementals will have a hard time...

I see what you did there... >:)