Post issues

Started by Nico, August 20, 2013, 12:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nico

It came to my attention that several people can log on and see the new Forum, but they cannot post. They can see everything, even move around the forum, just not post.

This is the message they receive:

"Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message. "

Thesunmaid

I had the same thing happen I had to reset my host files which was a slight pain in the ass. Thats a link that will show you step by step how to do it if that helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Vekseid

Make sure the advice in the top right is followed.

It's possible that not everyone's DNS is really updated yet, it might take a day or two to get back to normal : /

Editing your hosts file is a permanent solution but it's important to remember in the event that we move again.

Pretty in Pink

Another solution (that I'm using, futzing with my HOSTS file didn't work) is if there's a browser you DIDN'T have, then just install it and run to E through there.  Was using Chrome, but for now I'm using Firefox, and it's working just fine.
[FLOATLEFT][/FLOATLEFT]O.O ~{=}~ Ideas ~{=}~ A&A[FLOATRIGHT][/FLOATRIGHT]

I've taken the Oath of the Drake for Group RP

Andol

I am not really sure I understand much of the advice that is given on how to edit the host file. I am finding it confusing :(

Aislinn

Woohoo! I'm in....finally.

I was the one that prodded Nicholas this direction as Oreo and I were both having issues posting...and we suspected a great many others are as well. We could navigate the site using the new IP but posting wasn't happening so we couldn't ask for help. I had a white banner at the top of my screen that said "This is the IP. You will have an easier time clicking this to go to the URL"...but when I did that, it took me back to that page that was up while the server was down with the updates.

However....I just tried clicking that banner again and it had me log back in and now everything is fine.

;D
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Oreo

Is it going to let me post this time?

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Nico

Oreo

Okay, for those having difficulties, it just took time. I finally got back on after three tries of the white bar link at the top of the page. Don't know what it says anymore...'cause it's GONE. ;D

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

ReijiTabibito

Everything is going fritzy with all this new move.  First it worked for five minutes.  Then it sent me back to the troll page.  Then I cleared the DNS cache and it worked, then it sent me back to the troll.  Then I had to work some arcane mix of the recommended Windows FixIt tool, clearing the cookies and clearing the DNS cache, and now I'm back on, but half the things on the page are wonky.  This after I did pretty much every piece of advice on this thread (including installing Chrome)...and now I'm sitting here paranoid that I'm gonna see that idiot troll again.

Oreo

PS: Thank you so much for the Herculean effort you put in today Veks. Much love and hugs for you.

Thesunmaid

Ok...so spiffying up my host did not work...so what I had to do was release and renew my IP adress. I am hoping it sticks this time.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

ReijiTabibito

Test myself...part of me is wondering if this issue only occurs after I make multiple posts...

Blitzy

*Tests.*

---Edit---

Woot! It worked. :D
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Rogue

Btw... THANKS NIC! I was trying to get on and couldn't at all. (Mind you the advice didn't work for me but everything's fine now so no big)

Ariel

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on August 20, 2013, 09:14:22 AM
Btw... THANKS NIC! I was trying to get on and couldn't at all. (Mind you the advice didn't work for me but everything's fine now so no big)

Same here. XD
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

The Dark Raven

Mine worked, then didn't.  Did all the FixIt, release dns yadda yadda, and it worked for 5 minutes, then down again,  Went to bed.  Next morning it works fine.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Nico

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on August 20, 2013, 09:14:22 AM
No problem. It's the least I can do!

Dovel

I was having the same problem. I logged in this morning fine but after making a few posts I could not get back in. It kept timing me out.

After an email to BeMi I was able to edit my Host files and now I am able to get back on.

I used the instructions listed here.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-hosts-file/

It was easy to change (At least I hope I did it right). The only thing is make sure you open Notepad first, as Admin, before you edit anything or you will not be able to save it.
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

The Lioness

I can access through my phone, but not through my chrome book. I have flushed everything and restarted, but can't seem to post anything. Does this mean I will have to play the waiting game?
♥ Poems ♥ Story Ideas ( Updated 3/20/24) ♥ Ons/Offs ♥ F-List♥ A/A (Updated 1/23/2024)♥ Art ♥ My Kingdom ♥

♥Posts owed: 1/1 ♥ Posts completed: 0/1 ♥ Pending: 0 ♥
♥Status: Open ♥

Rogue

That's what I had to do, even after flushing my DNS and running the fix it file given by microsoft. *Shrugs*

Aislinn

Hello again! I received an email from Dovel saying that he's unable to post again. Same issue as before. Clicks on the white banner and goes to the troll.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated!
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Rogue

Okay, so I'm running E through anonymouse.org and it's working whereas, on the same cpu and browser it doesn't and I'm getting troll face again. :/

Edit: Just as a warning for those who follow this, anonymouse started having ads... :( and it just pops up in random places... But it still allows access.

Dovel

Alright once again I am back. ~laughs~

We shall see for how long this time.

I changed my Host, Flushed the DNS, cleared my cookie and cache. None of that allowed me to reconnected.

I unplugged my router for a bit for it to reset and now I am back on. I am not sure what worked or if I will stay connected but here I am for the moment.
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay