A Long Night Out: A Dresdenverse Character Proposal (Closed)

Started by Sephora, July 18, 2014, 02:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

She's not really an alcoholic, but she did used to binge a lot, and it's kinda easy to end up drinking more when you're too drunk to know how drunk you are.

Quote from: Sephora on July 21, 2014, 04:48:03 PM
Yup, clearly I mean that you must write two hundred sentences per post.  Any less and you bring shame upon yourself and your ancestors. 

It's just about giving and taking.  If I write five long paragraphs about the army of were-tigers that have besieged Seattle and you respond with nothing but, " She grabs her gun and starts shooting."  Then not only do I feel like I've put in a lot of work for nothing, but you've given me barely anything to work with for my next post.  Does that make sense? 

I've actually had games where people had a hard, set limit and would start poking me when I didn't follow it.  Often I would just end up repeating myself for things I'd explained not three posts ago in order to fill that void.

Dialogue can be the worst for this, where Jim Butcher writes dialogue out rapidly from one character to another with minimal description, but forum conversations either devolve into splitting topics or large amounts of prose and exposition.

Then again, authors are also capable of having characters interrupt each other and pick up on body language even if it isn't explicitly stated.

Mostly I just request a notice if I upset folks in that regard because I want to be open to such notices.  When I wrote up the ideas for all the character connections, I was a bit concerned that folks might see it as pushing myself on others or such, but this seems to be a pretty decent group.

Regarding locations, I believe Ms. Swan has a beauty salon which might work well as a well-frequented spot with so many female characters.  I'm not sure the church would come up a lot in actual IC, but Charity would want to bring people there if a big emergency kicked in.

In my experience, having big but out of the way places like "The Nevernever" can work well as its own thread as well.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

ElvenKitten

Just noticed one of the writing prompts I used is gone.  :-\

Added more to back-story and some stuff on the man who adopted her.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=209175.msg10278122#msg10278122

AndyZ

Quote from: ElvenKitten on July 20, 2014, 07:18:17 PM
  Well something different though maybe Charity had seen Alexis fight at some point as Witchbane (deliberately cheesy) and sort of figured it out from there.

ElvenKitten, may I request some details on this idea?  Maybe I'm just being slow at the moment.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Sephora

Quote from: Mister Grimm on July 21, 2014, 05:21:35 PM
. Just know that he probably isn't on the best terms with any of them haha.

Oh really?  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA--ahem- I mean oh, that's interesting.

Also, if he is known for doing whatever job is needed; is he known for having some kind of code of honor? Like, gunna have to get your child tears elsewhere? Or is he more chaotic: I can get a kid to cry for the right price. 

AndyZ: I'll add the Beauty Salon as well as the Church; those are both good ideas and I will consider adding the nevernever.  Thanks!  :)  Also, your character connection suggestions got you a star and a cookie.  Creativity and suggestions are always encouraged in this game! 

Elven: I know, I had a brainwave and liked the third concept so much I decided to replace it.  :P Consider yourself special and deserving of your own personal writing prompt. 

Mister Grimm

I'm pretty sure he has some code of honor when kids are involved, but generally as long as it doesn't end with him getting his head cut off - ie, breaking the seven laws of magic - then he'll probably do it if the paycheck is nice enough lol.
I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

Sephora

Elvin: I am going to need to limit a bit at what your character is skilled at.  Being a trained wizard who is skilled at magic and creating spellwrought items AND hand to hand combat AND bow and arrow AND firearms is just too much.  That is a lot of training for anyone, let alone a 26 year old wizard.  Think you can adjust a bit? 

Other note, I still need some information on Alexis's sister.  You said you wanted her to be semi-regular, but did you intend on playing her? Or would you want her to be gm-controlled? 

Other other note: You don't have it in her biography, but did you have any thoughts about who DID kill Alexis's mentor? Or her parents?

AndyZ

I know ^_^ I already pinned the cookie to my shirt and ate the gold star.  It tasted kinda metallic, though...

If you need a suggestion for a White Court hangout, one of the places I came up with for my novel (which admittedly has nothing to do with any Dresden stuff) is called the Second Circle after Dante's Inferno, and would be easy enough to throw a description together for.  Most of the PCs would probably know to stay far away from the place, though, making it a poor thread location.

Sephora

Well, currently we have no white court vampire characters, but I will accept your Second Circle Night Club. 

It might be useful in episode 2, if our lovely little game thrives to the point where we get an episode 2.  ^_^ -crosses fingers-

ElvenKitten

Quote from: AndyZ on July 21, 2014, 05:51:32 PM
I know ^_^ I already pinned the cookie to my shirt and ate the gold star.  It tasted kinda metallic, though...

If you need a suggestion for a White Court hangout, one of the places I came up with for my novel (which admittedly has nothing to do with any Dresden stuff) is called the Second Circle after Dante's Inferno, and would be easy enough to throw a description together for.  Most of the PCs would probably know to stay far away from the place, though, making it a poor thread location.
Could be the club that Alexis was in during the little prompt story

Made changes to the abilities, thought I changed it before actually. Still working on the Kate thing and I'd like to control most of what she does (have some fun subplot ideas) As for the deaths of the parents and mentor I mostly had that as GM fuel  ;D

Sephora

Elvin:  I don't see any change.  I still see her skilled at all of those things.  Or is it just her lack of training in evocation and thaumatogy that's changed?  If that's the case, can I suggest that it was her parents who were magical and had just been starting to teach her stuff, and her adoptive mentor was the one who trained her in all things physical?  It might explain why she's better at the physical than the magical.
I like your way of connecting the dots.   Way to relate something that's happened in your writing prompt to what we are talking about for the game. :)  Look who just earned herself a cookie!

Thank you for the delicious delicious gm fuel.  It will be used accordingly.  O:).... >:)

ElvenKitten

Quote from: Sephora on July 21, 2014, 06:21:51 PM
Elvin:  I don't see any change.  I still see her skilled at all of those things.  Or is it just her lack of training in evocation and thaumatogy that's changed?  If that's the case, can I suggest that it was her parents who were magical and had just been starting to teach her stuff, and her adoptive mentor was the one who trained her in all things physical?  It might explain why she's better at the physical than the magical.
I like your way of connecting the dots.   Way to relate something that's happened in your writing prompt to what we are talking about for the game. :)  Look who just earned herself a cookie!

Thank you for the delicious delicious gm fuel.  It will be used accordingly.  O:).... >:)
Well a lot of the Archery stuff can be translated to the mental focus for magic will cut down on hand to hand stuff, may make the archery a hobby from before her talent manifested.

Sephora

Sorry if I appear to be badgering, I just feel the need to be careful with Wizards.  :P Butcher showed favoritism with em, and I need to be careful about how powerful I let any character start off at.   I'll stop being concerned if you take out the hand to hand stuff.  ^_^

ElvenKitten

Quote from: Sephora on July 21, 2014, 06:33:42 PM
Sorry if I appear to be badgering, I just feel the need to be careful with Wizards.  :P Butcher showed favoritism with em, and I need to be careful about how powerful I let any character start off at.   I'll stop being concerned if you take out the hand to hand stuff.  ^_^
Can we say she can throw a punch at least?  :P

Sephora

Mister Grimm

Just out of curiosity, which section will this group game be going into? Light exotic small groups?
Do you know who I am?

Sephora

I wanted to raise that to the group as a whole.  I know some groups like to put games in the extreme section just so that every option is available, but I wanted to hear some input.  From the looks of the characters, I'm thinking this should be a light game, but I think everyone should have a say. 

AndyZ

No real preference from me.  I'm good with Light, I can see Bondage happening, and though Charity won't be the one doing any raping or such, it could easily happen to her.

Does it count as NC if your character is unable to consent, such as if you've been mesmerized by a White Court Vampire?

Red Stella

As far as where to put the game, my thought in a category that gives us plenty if leeway.  It's not like we have to do everything in the description list, but we wouldn't have to worry too much about crossing a line. 

ElvenKitten

I'd say Bondage gives us a bit more freedom which I understand is a bit of a contradiction.

Sephora

AndyZ: That is a very good question.  I think mesmerization is pretty Noncon-y, so if people want there to be White Court Vamps showing up in this game, then it's going to have to go in the noncon section.

Otherwise I can agree, bondage works best. 

Edit:  We can just keep it in bondage, and then just have whatever vampires show up NOT use mesmerize to sleep with anyone's characters. 

Mister Grimm

Quote from: AndyZ on July 21, 2014, 06:52:37 PM

Does it count as NC if your character is unable to consent, such as if you've been mesmerized by a White Court Vampire?

yeah, since white court vampires enthrall their victims and unable to consent is pretty much the definition LOL. Bondage is fine by me, even though Jacob is probably pretty vanilla, though if a White Court Vampire is ever introduced there is always the possibility of having the thread(s) moved.
Do you know who I am?

AndyZ

Swan

Sephora

Swan: I need some information about your character.  A character's true name, and the name that they can be conjured with, is their identity.  It is who they know themselves as.  Your biography tells a different story about your character's true name...can you fill me in a bit on what you had planned? 

Swan

Quote from: Sephora on July 21, 2014, 07:55:28 PM
Swan: I need some information about your character.  A character's true name, and the name that they can be conjured with, is their identity.  It is who they know themselves as.  Your biography tells a different story about your character's true name...can you fill me in a bit on what you had planned? 

Well, I am completely unaware of this world everyone is talking about, so I went about creating Elyse (what her parents named her) in a different way. Not knowing there is a world of wizards or vampires, she is introduced to it by her gift. That being said, she is in the early stages of realizing there's a complete other world than the one she was born into. She's becoming "awakened", if you will.

I hope that clarifies some stuff? Maybe it can be used as a twist?