[Interest Check] Valhalla Fallen

Started by MiraMirror, November 17, 2014, 01:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 20, 2014, 10:50:32 PM
Is everyone a former Jarl or connected to one? I feel like downgrading Dawn into a basic soldier just to feel unique!
Aelfwine is just a mercenary turned wanderer.  ;D
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Caehlim

Saga has no significant connections to any Jarldom and isn't an heir to anywhere. He's more likely to claim to be the son of Braggi then he is to claim to be the son of a Jarl.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Verasaille

Hilde is clanless at the moment so it does not matter. So when are we getting an IC and a place to meet etc?

I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

MiraMirror

Well, I hadn't actually expected this to get so much attention in this period of time. I was planning on making a proper recruitment thread to organize this all into one neat opening post, but I think I have enough people to run it with now...

So I'll see if I can make an IC tomorrow or Saturday, merkay?
On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

Verasaille

Looking forward to it! This will be my first group rp. I am glad to be accepted into this wondrous group. Let's hope we all have fun with it!
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

MiraMirror

The OOC is now up in the Light Human Small Groups section, if this amazing cast would do me the honor of checking in.

Verasaille

Would you like me to copy paste my sign up or just note I am delighted to be there?

MiraMirror

I would humbly request that you paste your sheet in the OOC for organization.

Viper

*places interest flag in and contemplates for a bit*

selfexiled

I saw this post yesterday and it had my interest however RL got in the way I do hope I'm not to late.
Originality is fast becoming obsolete, to make a trully unique world all your own is the mark of a great writer, artist, thinker.

Uhm ONs/Offs link
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=134455.msg5990414#msg5990414

Absences:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180093.0

MiraMirror

Technically, the game's started, but if my players are okay with more people, you're welcome to make characters.

Angie

Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

TheHangedOne

A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

selfexiled

Currently working a CS hears hopin it all goes well *crosses fingers*
Originality is fast becoming obsolete, to make a trully unique world all your own is the mark of a great writer, artist, thinker.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

selfexiled

Name: Durien Morlin

Personality: Quiet, reserved, a thinker. Though completely opposite of his current profession. Listens to both sides of the conflict and takes to the one that life experience has taught him is best. Social drinker that puts many 'daily drinkers' to shame, he tends to open up more after a few pints. But he seems to have multiple personalities for on occasion he turns from caring, laughing, and well normal; to a cold, unfeeling stone of emotion.

Appearance: Not a stand out guy by any means, his deep auburn hair is just barely long enough to pull into a ponytail. For being 30yrs old he still can barely grow a beard often left with a thin mustache and a bit more than a south patch on his chin. But his eyes, emerald blue with a gold ring around the pupil hold a strong gaze if ever there was one. At just under six feet and more lithe than stout he doesn't cut the greatest shadow in the light either, but every bit is muscle taut and ready to spring. Without a shirt one can see his torso, front and back, covered in decorative runic tattoos.

Race: Human
Picture:

History: Durien was born into a simple family. With no claim even to the land they worked, but they were happy. Still Durien was found by wanderlust and eventually left home to wander the world. He came across an old druid of sorts whom it seemed was a pariah among his own for his declarations of future events. Durien though, young in the wasy of teh world believed him and being of a completely kind heart still offered to help him in his cause. This led to several years of tuteliage under the old man. Leading to his current skill as a fighter and the many tattoos covering his body.
The old druid was older than he appeared and passed on to the other plain near 8yrs ago now. In these past years Durien found odd jobs and a sell-sword, a bouncer and currently a miner. Oddly enough his time with the druid did make him sensitive to what little 'magic' the world had and knew something was wrong when Asgard fell but didn't know what. Amongst the mass of purely decorative runes covering him there were five that actually meant anything. But whether or not there was ever any real power to them Durien couldn't say.
But the runes of Nauthiz, Thurisaz, Algiz, Uruz, and Tyr were placed about his body to enhance him in combat. Nauthiz is meant for endurance and survival while Thurisaz and Algiz are meant for defense and shielding against evil. Uruz is meant to enhance strength and speed. While Tyr is meant as homage to the war god himself.

Combat: Competent in most all weapons Durien breaks the common mold and uses a weighted staff most often but will quickly drop it and use his bare hands if the space for a staff is not available. Hence why his gloves have a iron strip across the knuckles (which he added himself.)

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

selfexiled

GRRRRRR I never get pictures to work. its the main character from the vikings mini-series from the history channel.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Verasaille

Hilde has no objections. More the merrier!

Angie

You can PM me the image link and I can make an imgur mirror of it that will work.

MiraMirror

Oy, oy...runic tattoos do seem to be popular in this group. Did you plan on them having magical effects?

selfexiled

Given that magic was all but removed an age ago and the one being that held it in place is out of commission. I'll lean towards no, until such a time as you feel the need to re-introduce magic to the world on a whole.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Angie

Quote from: selfexiled on November 22, 2014, 07:21:52 PM
Given that magic was all but removed an age ago and the one being that held it in place is out of commission. I'll lean towards no, until such a time as you feel the need to re-introduce magic to the world on a whole.

A few of us have some magical abilities, but I plan on Dawn always being non-magical, if only because I love the Badass Normal trope.

Verasaille

This might seem off topic, but bear with me. The runes themselves might not have magic in them. But if a person "believes" they do, then the effect is much the same. Psychologically, Hilde believes the runes she has on her enhance her abilities. The fact she believes it makes it so. She is not necessarily using magic, but her ability to fire her bow accurately and the agility and strength she gets from what she "believes" to be the runes are magic to her.

In a way the Magic the Gods gave them are more powerful because the Gods will them to be so. If they cease to make the Magic work, the mortals will not notice unless they are actually using something incredibly obvious like a fireball or a lightning bolt. If you are saying in this rp that the MAGIC is not there or only in very limited forms, then none of us should be able to use it. Or do so at a VERY reduced rate. That only makes it fair.

That is my opinion. But it is up to TOS to set the rules on what we can and cannot do. I will abide by what he says.

MiraMirror

What I established is that magic is taboo, not gone.  It's a forbidden art, and due to the events described previously (The Fall of the Kingdoms), almost all of the knowledge detailing its use and the dangers of using it (Aether's toxic nature) were erased.  Not only is it rare to see someone using it, but some would consider it heretical, to boot.  This gives leeway for characters to use magic, but my point in making it limited was so that I didn't see everyone immediately go "I'm gonna play a magically-inclined character".  That was also what I meant when I mentioned the runic tattoos, considering 3(?) characters are using them.  I didn't want two characters to be too similar, or it'd feel like two clones working together, that's all.

People who make these runes and imbue them with magic aren't just people you can find anywhere. You'd have to delve into dark places, know people, or get phenomenally lucky to find them, and even then, it'd cost you.  You're not going to see many people walking around with them.  To reiterate, knowledge of magic is not commonplace, not in the slightest.  What's more, nobody really knows about Odin's fall yet, but considering those posts have been made in-character already, I'm just going to roll with it.

Verasaille

ok so I am still trying to figure out how to work this. I did not create Hilde with the runes to make them magic in the sense that she can cast anything. I agree that the magic of a wizard or some demi god or whatever would be far beyond what she knows.

So how should we be treating the runic tattoos? Just to clarify. If the one who did the tattoos on her was a sage of some kind and imbued the runes with magic then is she inadvertently using them? That is, it is actually affecting her abilities but she is not consciously using them. Does that make sense?

I mean that she does not flaunt it or say to anyone, I am a magic user. Since they are visible on her face and hands, she cannot hide them without using face coverings or gloves. (Which I can do if necessary)

Sorry to be asking so many questions, just trying to make sure I am ding things right.

MiraMirror

The way I see them working is rather simple, actually. They'd appear just as normal tattoos for 90% of the time, so you don't have to worry about people going "By Odin's beard, burn the heretic!"  However, when she called upon their active effects, they'd pulse/glow/show some sign of being used.  I'll leave that up to you, as per the rule of cool/imagination. For more passive effects, it might not be an obvious trigger, but the stronger the effect, the more obvious the pulse/glow/what have you, and the more potent the after-effects (exhaustion and the like).