Bored? Why not some board games? (tabletop discussions)

Started by Rustic, July 24, 2018, 08:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rustic

Bored? Why not some board games?
(tabletop discussions)

So I noticed we have forums to play board games and card games, but I haven't seen any threads or forums to discuss board games. If I'm wrong, let me know, and feel free to close or move this thread.

Here we can discuss anything pertaining to the world of board games, card games, party games or even war games if you so wish.

Come on in, even if you're new to board games! ESPECIALLY if you're new to board games! (i.e. we want to indoctrinate you, muahahaw  >:))

Feel free to ask for recommendations, or discuss new games, or whatever else you want to talk about.

I'll start:

What are your top 3 board games?

Mine are currently:

Firefly: the board game
Gravwell
Takenoko

(I also love Flash Point, Jamaica, Takenoko and Pandemic: Iberia (pandemic: legacy I'm not sold on just yet - currently playing it))

Sain

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective for sure. It's kinda almost like RPeing, and will certainly get all the brains in the room into a knot ;D

Other top 2 hmm... I suppose Uno and Munchkin. Sadly have not played so many of different variety.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

solkar

My top 3:

1. Chess. I used to be quite good at it.
2. Mega Civilization. On a good day, it takes a mere 15 hours to finish it.
3. Axis and Allies Global 1940. Takes so long that I never finished it, but it's quite the event.

Envious

My favorite game right now is hive. Really easy to pick up, fast to go through a round, and no bluffing required. I dislike games that require bluffing.

Naiah

Quote from: Shale on July 24, 2018, 08:58:43 AM

Mine are currently:

Firefly: the board game
I think I love you.
Firefly is my all time number 1 favourite, so awesome to see someone else with good taste! <3 <3

Rustic

Quote from: Sain on July 24, 2018, 10:33:59 AM
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective for sure. It's kinda almost like RPeing, and will certainly get all the brains in the room into a knot ;D

Sherlock looks awesome. Shut up and sit down, they're board game reviewers, and they did a review of the game and they said it's amazing. A friend got it so I'm excited to try it. Does it take long?

Quote from: HairyHeretic on July 24, 2018, 02:39:07 PM
Betrayal at Baldur's Gate is quite fun.

Heard of it, but never played it. What do you do in the game?

Quote from: solkar on July 24, 2018, 03:25:34 PM
My top 3:

1. Chess. I used to be quite good at it.
2. Mega Civilization. On a good day, it takes a mere 15 hours to finish it.
3. Axis and Allies Global 1940. Takes so long that I never finished it, but it's quite the event.

Ah a big strategy player I see! Never heard of mega civilization, but that runtime sounds crazy. Not the longest board game out there, but still. :D

Do you play twilight imperium?

Quote from: Envious on July 24, 2018, 03:58:45 PM
My favorite game right now is hive. Really easy to pick up, fast to go through a round, and no bluffing required. I dislike games that require bluffing.

Nice! I like hive too. If you like hive maybe you should check out Onitama. It's a 7.6 on boardgamegeek. It's also a favorite of mine.

I also dislike social deduction games (I. E. Bluffing games). I'm bad at bluffing, lol. What games have you tried of it that you don't like?

Quote from: Naiah on July 24, 2018, 07:12:51 PM
I think I love you.
Firefly is my all time number 1 favourite, so awesome to see someone else with good taste! <3 <3

Ohh, well then I may love you too! ;)

Mind you I haven't played any of the expansions yet. Played the base game a few times, then bought all the expansions (except the two that extend the board because my table is too small for now). Now I want to get a game with the expansions going. Particularly I'm excited about the pirates and bounties expansion.

Do you have all the expansions? Also how do you handle table space?  :D

Naiah

Of course I have them all! :D

The only time I play without the expansions is when I run tournaments for it at Viking-con, in Denmark. Otherwise we always play with expansions and we have the roll out board, wouldnt be without it <3 But because of the table footprint we do not get to break it out that often anymore as we also dont really have the room *sobs*

We did find that it helps to have businesscard racks to put the cards in, saves a LOT of space. Oh btw, the newest expansion wit the new misbehaves? Woah Nelly, they are brutal!

Rustic

Quote from: Naiah on July 25, 2018, 07:21:25 AM
Of course I have them all! :D

The only time I play without the expansions is when I run tournaments for it at Viking-con, in Denmark. Otherwise we always play with expansions and we have the roll out board, wouldnt be without it <3 But because of the table footprint we do not get to break it out that often anymore as we also dont really have the room *sobs*

We did find that it helps to have businesscard racks to put the cards in, saves a LOT of space. Oh btw, the newest expansion wit the new misbehaves? Woah Nelly, they are brutal!

Yeah that placemat looks awesome. I'll definitely want to eventually get it. I'm planning on buying some business card holders as well, just not sure exactly how many "slots" I need yet.

My table may be able to hold all of it, if I put most or all of the cards on some TV dinner tables next to the table. The problem is also the damn ship boards. They're big, plus you put cards underneath and above them. I don't think they needed to design them so big. Plus with the contacts that you place on top. Though I printed out and I'm putting together some "contact tokens" so we don't need to hold onto the contact cards to know who we're solid with. It'll help with some space.

It makes me wonder why they printed those big money add ons... it just doesn't seem to make sense to use up more space when this thing takes up so much space already.

I've seen some crazy designs for holding all the cards though. Even a turning tower that's placed on top of the board (via some wide legs).

Haven't tried the new misbehaves yet. Why are they brutal?

Sain

Quote from: Shale on July 24, 2018, 09:43:37 PM
Sherlock looks awesome. Shut up and sit down, they're board game reviewers, and they did a review of the game and they said it's amazing. A friend got it so I'm excited to try it. Does it take long?

Yes, very long. You'll need multiple many hour sessions to play this ;D
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

TotesRider

Sadly I dont have alot of peeps to play board games on the regular but I got a good number at the ready.

DropMix, Cards Against Humanity, Exploding Cats to name a few.

Though if I had to name a couple faves they would be

Battle Wizards: A game where you build spells using cards. Has a pretty fun Adult Swim style humor. Always good for some belly laughs.

Exceed Fighting System: Basically a fighting game in card form (and if you know me at all then you know I AM ABOUT THAT LIFE).

Boss Monster: basically players compete to build a dungeon to lure and kill heroes.

Naiah

Quote from: Shale on July 25, 2018, 08:44:09 AM
Yeah that placemat looks awesome. I'll definitely want to eventually get it. I'm planning on buying some business card holders as well, just not sure exactly how many "slots" I need yet.

My table may be able to hold all of it, if I put most or all of the cards on some TV dinner tables next to the table. The problem is also the damn ship boards. They're big, plus you put cards underneath and above them. I don't think they needed to design them so big. Plus with the contacts that you place on top. Though I printed out and I'm putting together some "contact tokens" so we don't need to hold onto the contact cards to know who we're solid with. It'll help with some space.

It makes me wonder why they printed those big money add ons... it just doesn't seem to make sense to use up more space when this thing takes up so much space already.

I've seen some crazy designs for holding all the cards though. Even a turning tower that's placed on top of the board (via some wide legs).

Haven't tried the new misbehaves yet. Why are they brutal?

We use a businesscard rack that has room for 8 and have 4 of those, fits everything from all expansions. I do not get the big money either, find them stupid and don't use them.

They are brutal as they are really hard to do and with big penalties when you fail :D

Rustic

Quote from: Sain on July 25, 2018, 12:36:21 PM
Yes, very long. You'll need multiple many hour sessions to play this ;D

Ha, oh boy. I was hoping to try it with a friend of mine, but he suffers from analysis paralysis, so I don't think it's best I play with him. :D

Quote from: TotesRider on July 25, 2018, 01:31:24 PM
Sadly I dont have alot of peeps to play board games on the regular but I got a good number at the ready.

DropMix, Cards Against Humanity, Exploding Cats to name a few.

Though if I had to name a couple faves they would be

Battle Wizards: A game where you build spells using cards. Has a pretty fun Adult Swim style humor. Always good for some belly laughs.

Exceed Fighting System: Basically a fighting game in card form (and if you know me at all then you know I AM ABOUT THAT LIFE).

Boss Monster: basically players compete to build a dungeon to lure and kill heroes.

Nice! I used to like cards against humanity. It's what got me into more modern board games (well sort of). Not a fan of it anymore, but it's certainly fun.

Those I've all heard of, cool choices! Boss monster I've been curious about.

Quote from: Naiah on July 25, 2018, 03:12:30 PM
We use a businesscard rack that has room for 8 and have 4 of those, fits everything from all expansions. I do not get the big money either, find them stupid and don't use them.

They are brutal as they are really hard to do and with big penalties when you fail :D

Hmm, okay, then maybe that's what I'll get. Love the game though. It's a perfect game for a lazy afternoon. Grab a beer (if there's room) and just sit back and play. Everyone I've played it with was always surprised by how good an engaging it was. Some friends of mine bought a copy for themselves too after playing it.

Have you tried the new firefly game? It's a skirmish game instead, and the rules are fiddly, but it's very fun!

Naiah

We got it, but I havent tried it, other half has and tbh it did not seem that engaging to me. I dunno, lacks depth to me, dunno, something meh about it. Do want to try it at some point, but am in no hurry to :P

Rustic

Yeah I could see why one might think it lacks depth. It does lack something. The games I had were fun though, edge of your seat. I imagined them fumbling up the job, and alerting all of the cowboys. I got angry at Wash for doing that. :D

But it's certainly no firefly.

Do you play any other games on a regular basis?

HairyHeretic

Heard of it, but never played it. What do you do in the game?

Are you familiar with Betrayal at House on the Hill? It's a variant of that.

Basically, you have a team of up to 6 adventures, each of whom has a couple of options on their cards for their character. You're moving through a section of the city of Baldur's Gate (streets, buildings and catacombs), each new tile potentially having an encounter, an omen or some equipment (or a combination of the above).

Each time an omen is triggered, there is a chance the Haunt will occur. The more omens, the more likely things are to go horrible for everyone :) Once it does trigger, you compare the location and event on a chart, which gives one of 50 different results.

The character that triggered the event is most likely now a monster, and has a particular set of victory conditions. The remaining players have their own set of victory conditions too.

Ones I've played so far:
PC becomes wererat, in control of horde of lesser wererats. Wererats win by killing / turning civilians. PCs win by getting them off the board at an exit point.
PC is taken over by mind flayer and attempts to wipe out the rest of the PCs. PCs win by killing it.
PC possessed by demon, wins by killing other players. PCs win by finding talisman and completing ritual in certain location to banish demon.

Every game is random, so there's great replay value in it. I recommend giving it a try if you get the chance.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Naiah

Quote from: Shale on July 25, 2018, 05:51:36 PM
Yeah I could see why one might think it lacks depth. It does lack something. The games I had were fun though, edge of your seat. I imagined them fumbling up the job, and alerting all of the cowboys. I got angry at Wash for doing that. :D

But it's certainly no firefly.

Do you play any other games on a regular basis?

I do also like Battlestar Galactica, Spartacus, Rum and Bones 2, Dark Souls and I am really looking forward to Village Attacks coming out. Tried that at the UKGE this year and it was really fun :D I liked the dice allocation mechanic.

Imogen

My current favorites are Robo Rally, Citadels and Phase 10.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Envious

Quote from: Shale on July 24, 2018, 09:43:37 PMI also dislike social deduction games (I. E. Bluffing games). I'm bad at bluffing, lol. What games have you tried of it that you don't like?

All of them! Even if it's only a minor aspect, I'm no good at secrets. Games like poker are the worst. Luckily, I can get out of that, but I can never squirm out of games like Saboteur or BANG!.

Aiden

I have a few games I like.

Top favorites

Seven Wonders
Keyflower
Imperial Settlers

Current played favorites
Roll for the Galaxy
Clank!
Pandemic Legacy

Honorable mention
Seafall
Agricola
Viticulture

Tsenta

Not too social RL so not many opportunities to play board games, used to be really into an online game called BGO/Boardgameonline a few years back though.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Love And Submission

I've tried to learn Chess  on and off for five years but I can't wrap my head around it. The problem is making tactical decisions within a ruleset that seems arbitrary to me.  I can't understand moving in a way that is a disadvantageous  to my pieces even though the laws of the game call for it.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Amelita

My top 3 are Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Settlers of Catan (most fun with cities and knights, and seafarers expansions), and Carcassonne!

I also love agricola, seven wonders and seven wondeds duel, keyflower, codenames, cards against humanity, and more xD

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

solkar

Quote from: Shale on July 24, 2018, 09:43:37 PMAh a big strategy player I see! Never heard of mega civilization, but that runtime sounds crazy. Not the longest board game out there, but still. :D
It's the classic Civilization game from the eighties, expanded to max 18 players and with a map from Spain to India. As for it's duration.... ah, 't is nothing compared to:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4815/campaign-north-africa

"Playing time with 10 players is listed at 1200 hours."

Do you play twilight imperium?
No but I may have a look at it, thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure I'll find people to play anything like that with, though.