Kobold Game set up and full, thanks!

Started by Quinz128, March 04, 2016, 05:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinz128

As it states, just wanna play a kobold character. I have several ideas and will fit it into the campaign as it goes, so if youre just seeking players for a PF or D&D 3-3.5-4-5 campaign I can jump in, whether it's already begun or not. If you have a game that just went through a kobold snarl and want to snag me as a replacement for an NPC idea, or just toss some plot point I'd bring up, sure. Traditional or non-traditional Kobolds are fine, just wanna play one!

So, open to Pathfinder, D&D 3, 3.5, 4, 5, Mutants and Masterminds or Capes, Cowls and Villains Foul. The latter two are just because out of the systems I know I could be one in such and be a 'secret' society of kobolds underground or just a time-displaced kind of character in such a game.

ragarth

I love playing kobolds. :-)

I wouldn't mind finding a pathfinder group that I can play a kobold in as well. I tend to specialize in playing wizards these days.

In the last couple games I've played the GM gives some boon in race point cost to bring the kobold up to equal footing with all the tall meat sacks. Usually from greater weakness (+2 dex -4 str, -2 con,) to standard (+2 dex, +2 int, -2 str) ability scores. This brings them up to being 8RP creatures, which is close to human at 9RP.

If we can get four people to play kobolds, and one GM, we can have an all kobold party. :D Crazy hats for everyone!

Quinz128

Well! Keep me posted if you see anything, then and I'll do the same. Doesn't have to be a kobold-party, but I just want to play one, myself. There was an idea I had a long time ago about a modern-style game where underground nuclear testing hit a larger hidden kobold Snarl and caused mass devastation. Eventually, this had the remaining kobolds to go on a quest for VENGEANCE! And have to deal with mutated/insane koboldic radiation-zombies, modern human personnel, etc. I thought it a cool idea, but never got a group for it IRL.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Oddly, there are a few of us around here who like playing kobolds, so the possibility of a kobold party is not that far-fetched. The trick is getting them all to rally...

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Quinz128

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 04, 2016, 03:49:51 AM
Oddly, there are a few of us around here who like playing kobolds, so the possibility of a kobold party is not that far-fetched. The trick is getting them all to rally...

The irony... Or least I'd take that as irony.

Chulanowa

I keep trying to figure out how to re-fit assorted Pathfinder modules and AP's to kobold-themed ones... Sadly, still learning how to run the game, so, not real confident in my ability to alter things just yet...

Quinz128

Quote from: Chulanowa on April 04, 2016, 10:30:01 PM
I keep trying to figure out how to re-fit assorted Pathfinder modules and AP's to kobold-themed ones... Sadly, still learning how to run the game, so, not real confident in my ability to alter things just yet...

Why would you need to refit things? I mean, if we're talking about kobolds as players there's not much difficulty in giving them a reason why to hunt down things. Depends on how traditional you want them to be, but generally it can be 'FOR THE TRIBE!' or "AN OTHER REASON SOMEONE WANTS TO ADVENTURE!" xD

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Heya Chula (one of the other kobold players I mentioned ;D).

I am 99% sure there were some Pathfinder modules that were set up for tribal goblins. It might not be hard (or it might, I don't know, haven't played them) to swap some narrative elements around to make it appropriate for a kobold snarl.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

It might not be the worst idea to rephrase the title of the post as "Four kobolds seeking Gamemaster," as that might grab the eye of someone who wasn't interested in the possibly solo sounding title of "I just want to play a kobold." Just putting it out there as an idea!

Additionally, anyone have any other ideas for possible scenarios involving 4(+) kobolds? The post-apoc atomic kobolds sounds like a hoot, frankly, but I have no idea how that'd work as far as finding a system to run with it. (BTW, system-wise I'm familiar with PF, 3.0, and 3.5. Didn't enjoy 4 and sold it. Can't afford to pick up 5.)

Some quick thoughts off the top of my head:

Coming of Age - 4+ kobolds are given a quest to prove their worth to the tribe/stop them cluttering up the cave. Shenanigans ensue. Possibly even leading to surprise and consternation if they succeed and return in glory when they really weren't supposed to.

Kobolds take Manhattan - 4+ kobolds in the big city. Thieves guild doesn't accept kobolds? Fine, we'll form our own! The halflings may disagree...

The Milk Run - Any human peasant will tell you that kobolds steal babies. This is racist stereotyping, obviously. But anyway...The real headache starts when they have to take care of them. It's no use contemplating why the boss's daughter wanted a halfling baby, that's already a done deal and nothing to do with you. Stealing a cow and getting it down through the dungeon to the kobold warren seemed like a good idea at first. To somebody. Which is why you were given the job. Hey, are they trying to get rid of you again?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Quinz128

Sure I can switch it over. I'd run as GM with other folks, since I could get my use of Kobold-isms, but I don't feel I have the time or energy to GM. But I'll change the title.

Also The Post-Apoc thing would use the D&D 3.0/3.5 rules, chances or just go with PF and tweak D20 Modern a bit to fit it for the futuristic stuff. Or just go Capes, Cowls, Villains Fowls for an open system.

Foxfyr

I would be up for running a game full of kobold misadventures.  Was there a mood you were looking for specifically?  On one hand, I can modify the more lighthearted adventure path "We Be Goblins!" to fit a kobold theme.  Alternatively, I could run a slightly modified more serious (and long running) "Way of the Wicked" adventure path.  Or if neither of those pique your interest, I could try to homebrew some sort of piratey themed misadventure.   :-)

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 12, 2016, 03:36:54 PM
I would be up for running a game full of kobold misadventures.  Was there a mood you were looking for specifically?  On one hand, I can modify the more lighthearted adventure path "We Be Goblins!" to fit a kobold theme.  Alternatively, I could run a slightly modified more serious (and long running) "Way of the Wicked" adventure path.  Or if neither of those pique your interest, I could try to homebrew some sort of piratey themed misadventure.   :-)

I have to say, those all look entertaining...But the pirate one particularly sounds comically fun. The again, practically any kobold brigandry sounds fun. "Stand and deliver or we'll cut yer kneecaps off!"

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ragarth

Whew! I step back from this for a bit to handle some RL shenanigans and it took off!

Keep in mind that kobolds don't care about a few losses, so pushing a zany and ridiculous idea with a high mortality risk is no big deal. Kobolds that survive are either lucky or good.

To that end, operating out of a snarl and getting the 'eh, you probably won't come back' job works.

Trapmaster Klik: "We need more piranhas for the fish tank traps. YOU FOUR! GET ME PIRANHAS!"

My current kobold character in a more standard group is on a quest for the cannon of teleportation. You climb in it and it teleports you wherever its pointing.

My vote is for pathfinder. It's free and I know the system pretty well. I also vote that we do slow or normal XP progression. What would everyone like in terms of format, play by post, roll 20 + skype, what? My current game is fast xp progression and meets once every 2-3 weeks.. it's horrible.

Also, what class would you consider playing? I really enjoy being a wizard. I also hear kobolds make mean crit fishers.

Chulanowa

I'm in! Pretty much anything, really... but I've had the notion of a Kobold take on the kingmaker AP... Not so much interested in WotW's "death death devil devil evil evil" angles. But really? Anything I can play a stupid reckless iquana o' doom works for me -Scurries off to guoh's art-

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: ragarth on April 13, 2016, 10:01:28 PM
My vote is for pathfinder. It's free and I know the system pretty well. I also vote that we do slow or normal XP progression. What would everyone like in terms of format, play by post, roll 20 + skype, what? My current game is fast xp progression and meets once every 2-3 weeks.. it's horrible.

Pathfinder is free?!

I'm good with normal XP progression...Slow XP progression on a PbP game is equivalent to "No" XP progression.

My scheduling is all over the place, so anything 'cept PbP is hard for me to deal with. I'd prefer PbP and 3-4+ posts/week minimum (preferably more but we all know 1/day isn't always doable...bad days happen).

I am currently playing a Kobold alchemyst in Carrion Crown, here. I'm up for practically any class, though, so if other people have specific things they really want to play I'm happy to bat cleanup.

(*And there's another alchemyst kobold starting point...The one who always has to do bat cleanup to collect guano to grind down for the explosive traps!)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ragarth

Count me in as well. :-) I'm not sure how well We Be goblins will convert for kobolds. It dives pretty deep into goblin culture, which is very different from pathfinder kobold culture.

Kobold pirates sounds like a barrel full of amusement. Would we be operating out of an island warren with 1+ ships, or would we be just a galley of kobolds?

Hmm... kobold pirate siege wizard. That sounds despicable. It definitely gives reason to use those rarely touched magic siege weapon spells.

So... if I'm a kobold wizard and I have a goose familiar, is it going to be big enough for her to ride and is it's name going to be Madam Matador? :-)

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 14, 2016, 01:48:20 AM
Pathfinder is free?!

I'm good with normal XP progression...Slow XP progression on a PbP game is equivalent to "No" XP progression.

My scheduling is all over the place, so anything 'cept PbP is hard for me to deal with. I'd prefer PbP and 3-4+ posts/week minimum (preferably more but we all know 1/day isn't always doable...bad days happen).

I am currently playing a Kobold alchemyst in Carrion Crown, here. I'm up for practically any class, though, so if other people have specific things they really want to play I'm happy to bat cleanup.

(*And there's another alchemyst kobold starting point...The one who always has to do bat cleanup to collect guano to grind down for the explosive traps!)

I've never done a full-on d20 pbp game. I actually have very little pbp experience at all.

My primary concern with PbP is that I may grow bored with it and fail to maintain. Perhaps PbP with the occasional session irregularly scheduled chat session on roll20? Then we'll just post the chat transcript to elliquiy.

Metro Mech

If you're going to start something up with Kobolds then you better count on my interest being quite peaked. Would there be a bit of room for an old dog like me? Lost in the fanasty of dungeon crawlimg to fame and fortune?
Currently looking for a RP? Why not give my Thread a little look see, see if you can't find something you like?
A/A <- check here if I haven't replied in some time
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
Behold my O/O

Quinz128

Chiming in real quick: I'd prefer a Play-by-Post as well, since I rarely get time to do an actual game every week or so and I think 3-5 posts a week per person would be reasonable for those that want to be active. If it would require some kind of active session, I'm not sure how well I could maintain that, might have to be Friday Evenings for me as that is my usually only freetime, other than the sporatic "OH I got an hour, I'll catch up on my RP-posts' I end up getting each day, but even then I don't know when those usually are, why I refuse to do IMs.

In admission, I do kind of like the pirate idea, as it is unique and it could be an island snarl where they have excursions to raid or even just a sea-bound group of kobolds that are more nomadic. Would keep them kobolds, but have them have a unique culture to other kobolds. Maybe even have conflict with some. Landbound ones.

And I agree with Pathfinder as the Rules. I'm most familiar with it, but if we want to get quite out there, there's always Capes, Cowls and Villains Fowl's system which is basically, 'make shit up and go wild, within these loose rules of powers/abilities'.

Foxfyr

Looks like everybody is feeling the pirate life, so we'll go with that campaign theme.  In that case, here is the small corner of the worldspace that your kobold tribe inhabits:

The Qanescir Clan (or Shining Clan in the common tongue) of kobolds has long since claimed their territory along a small peninsula covered in an overgrown jungle all the way to the water's edge.  The natural formation has let itself well to defending your territory, allowing your kind to flourish within their borders.  Expanding your borders beyond the bottleneck, on the other hand, has proven a much more difficult matter as the monsters residing deeper into the jungle seem to have an affinity for the taste of kobold. 

One such crusade to carve a deeper swath of territory ended in a massacre; of the several dozen mighty warriors sent into the jungle, only a handful were able to return home despite their severe wounds.  They did not do so empty-handed; a glowing, pure-white crystal.  For generations following the recovery of the lucky stone, the sea has been so abundant with food that there was no longer a need to push deeper into the jungle to provide for the clan.  Instead, they took to the waters for fishing, both from the shore as well as on crude rafts for more plentiful hauls.  The stone had brought such fortune to the clan that it had changed its namesake to Qanescir, in homage to the shining stone that has since been enshrined at the center of your village.

One day, the greatest threat your kind had ever faced stumbled upon your shores.  A massive ship anchored along your shores and creatures with skin of thick leather and metal invaded your village.  The warriors battled better than a hundred such beasts charged into your territory as they seemed to head directly towards the shrine for the lucky stone.  In the end, they had underestimated the might of your army as well as the clever traps that had been set in place around your stone.  All the invaders who had stepped foot on your land had been slain and the dozen bodies were set aside to be feasted upon that night.  Not before a raiding party was gathered to sneak aboard their vessel to take it for themselves at nightfall.  With that, tales your clan’s victory over a thousand giants coated in metal was well under way to becoming a thing of tribal legend.

The loot attained by your tribe that day was incalculable.  Weapons made of metal rather than stone, the softest fabrics you have ever felt, piles of paper with all sorts of beautiful scribbles and drawings upon them, and the most amazing fishing raft you have ever seen in your lives.  Most importantly, however, was another shining crystal that was very similar to the one enshrined within your tribe as well as a device that point in their direction.  The next several months, the clan chief and shaman dedicated their attention to the newfound crystal, the locator, and the scribbles while the most important clansmen explored the vessel, learning how it and everything aboard it worked.

A day finally came where the chief called forth his most elite clansmen to deliver news that could change everything…

Character Creation Outline

Pathfinder (anything in the SRD aside from psionics and 3rd party stuff)
Races: Kobold  (+2 (any one stat) -2 str, -2 con) and everybody gets the shoulder-to-shoulder trait for free
Starting Level: 4
Hit Points: Max first die, ¾ (round up) for the following 3 levels.
Starting Wealth: 6,000gp
20 Point Buy
2 Traits from different categories

Name:
Class:
Alignment:
Character Concept:  This adventure needs CHARACTERS. Not just a combination of statistics and abilities, but characters who will come to life during the story we are about to tell. With that in mind, think about the character you want to build. Remember, we are going to be pirates! Likewise, 2/3rds of this adventure will probably take place at sea. Think about the character class you are playing and how they will interact with this environment. Your character concept should be the first thing you write down, "I am a (best adjective to describe your character) kobold who (your character’s goal.) For example: “I am a brave hobbit who wants to destroy the Ring but really hates leaving home.”
Appearance:
Personality:
Brief Bio:

Note: Skills
Profession: Sailor will be very useful in this campaign. Social skills (as well as somebody who can speak common) will also be very helpful, at the start of the campaign as will the climb and swim skills. We will be allowing professions and crafting during this campaign, so don’t ignore those skills as well. Finally, knowledge skills will also play a large part in unraveling the story as we go.

Metro Mech

I just got word of something... Sorry guys I am going to have to drop out.
Currently looking for a RP? Why not give my Thread a little look see, see if you can't find something you like?
A/A <- check here if I haven't replied in some time
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
Behold my O/O

ragarth

Reading the outline, we might end up with kobolds that have *bonuses* to strength! Scary

CarnivalOfTheGoat

The pirate tribal background sounds awesome!

The only thing I'm a tiny bit hesitant about is:
Quote from: Foxfyr on April 14, 2016, 10:58:06 AMRaces: Kobold  (Choose an ability modifier template from any of the core races instead of the standard kobold.)

Why? Because for me, the whole "underestimated weaklings who gang up, level up, and become tiny terrors" is a big part of koboldry. And at level 4, they are already becoming pretty tough! This is particularly the case if you allow the alternate racial traits for PC kobolds as "exceptional" members of the tribe.

I'll understand if I'm voted down on this, or if you have ulterior reasons for wanting differently-templated PCs, and it won't make me reluctant to play (I'll just ask to allow my character to have the standard kobold racial ability modifiers), but I'd ask you to consider it. PF kobold PCs aren't "weak" (okay, they do take a strength hit but they have plenty of other useful benefits to make up for it...Paired swarm fighters are terrifying)...PF kobold PCs are entirely able to hold their own in a party.

Actually, if I was going to 'tweak' a party of kobolds for survivability. I'd probably just make the 'shoulder to shoulder' ability a standard...It rarely gets chosen by single kobolds in parties of tallthings for obvious reasons. :)

EDIT: As Ragarth notes, Kobolds with Strength bonuses are a bit scary. :) While "normal" kobolds aren't going to start out with an 18 strength, your typical fighter can't start out at level one with a 1d4(+1d6(energy)) bite attack. ;)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Foxfyr

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 14, 2016, 12:23:57 PM
Why? Because for me, the whole "underestimated weaklings who gang up, level up, and become tiny terrors" is a big part of koboldry. And at level 4, they are already becoming pretty tough! This is particularly the case if you allow the alternate racial traits for PC kobolds as "exceptional" members of the tribe.

I'll understand if I'm voted down on this, or if you have ulterior reasons for wanting differently-templated PCs, and it won't make me reluctant to play (I'll just ask to allow my character to have the standard kobold racial ability modifiers), but I'd ask you to consider it. PF kobold PCs aren't "weak" (okay, they do take a strength hit but they have plenty of other useful benefits to make up for it...Paired swarm fighters are terrifying)...PF kobold PCs are entirely able to hold their own in a party.

Actually, if I was going to 'tweak' a party of kobolds for survivability. I'd probably just make the 'shoulder to shoulder' ability a standard...It rarely gets chosen by single kobolds in parties of tallthings for obvious reasons. :)

EDIT: As Ragarth notes, Kobolds with Strength bonuses are a bit scary. :) While "normal" kobolds aren't going to start out with an 18 strength, your typical fighter can't start out at level one with a 1d4(+1d6(energy)) bite attack. ;)

True enough, I suppose I was just looking at the -4 str and -2 con as concerning since I don't know how swarmy you can get in a party of 4.  That and I noticed a comment above suggesting the greater weakness be brought up to the standard template.  Still, I see your point, particularly about the strength thing.

How about we amend it to be (+2 dex -2 str, -2 con,) and everybody gets the shoulder-to-shoulder trait for free?  That should tilt the 5RP to something a bit more in the ballpark of the other races.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 14, 2016, 01:23:37 PM
True enough, I suppose I was just looking at the -4 str and -2 con as concerning since I don't know how swarmy you can get in a party of 4.  That and I noticed a comment above suggesting the greater weakness be brought up to the standard template.  Still, I see your point, particularly about the strength thing.

How about we amend it to be (+2 dex -2 str, -2 con,) and everybody gets the shoulder-to-shoulder trait for free?  That should tilt the 5RP to something a bit more in the ballpark of the other races.

If it works for everybody else, that sounds awesome to me. I don't want to be the one "dragging folks down" if they're gleefully considering the possibility of playing a dwarf-statted kobold or something. ;D

Also, was browsing through possible character classes that I haven't tried yet with a kobold and ohmygod the Mouser Swashbuckler Archetype! Ye-e-es...That's a definite possibility. Making a virtue out of always being underfoot...

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ragarth

I'm game to try that system, just keep in mind that spellcasters will take a hit since we won't be able to pull that +2 to int/cha/Wis.

I'd be okay with -4str -2con +2dex and a floating +2 to apply to any stat except Dex (to avoid a +4). This would give us a little more mechanical flexibility. I'm on my cell so I can't check, but this is probably worth 4 RP.

Foxfyr

Since everybody is locked in to the same race, I will make room for attribute flexibility by making the racial modifier (+2 (any one stat) -2 str, -2 con,) and everybody gets the shoulder-to-shoulder trait for free.  This way you can focus more on a mental trait or help out your physical ones.

ragarth

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 14, 2016, 03:08:09 PM
Since everybody is locked in to the same race, I will make room for attribute flexibility by making the racial modifier (+2 (any one stat) -2 str, -2 con,) and everybody gets the shoulder-to-shoulder trait for free.  This way you can focus more on a mental trait or help out your physical ones.

Alright, and is shoulder to shoulder in addition to or replacing crafty?

Foxfyr

ragarth

Chulanowa

Sounds fine to me. I'd kinda prefer the feeble stats, but you know, maybe jungle life makes kobolds swole.

ragarth

Quote from: Chulanowa on April 14, 2016, 08:48:36 PM
Sounds fine to me. I'd kinda prefer the feeble stats, but you know, maybe jungle life makes kobolds swole.

Mosquito stew makes us stronger... by killing off the weak.

I'm fine with the weaker stats or the one Foxfyr currently has us on. My main concern was being able to build a caster on par with a rogue or crit fisher. Aside from casters, the core kobold stat block plays well for what kobolds generally are.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Good to see other folks who're okay with the weaker stats being a big part of "koboldness," although I do think the flexible option offered by Foxfyr does open up some class options which wouldn't be there for "stock" PF kobolds.

Think I'll go ahead and get to work on a Swashbuckler (Mouser), then, unless someone else was really hoping to do so?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ragarth

So this is what we've got thus far:

Foxfyr:
ALL HAIL KING TORG!

ragarth:
Transmuter Wizard (Enhancement)

CarnivalOfTheGoat:
Mouser and Party Toothy Maw (Face)

Quinz128:
Either Snare Setter, Trapper Ranger, or Savage Warrior Fighter

Chulanowa:
Unknown

Luna:
Oracle.. Flamin! Maybe another Toothy Maw?

Muse:
Unknown!

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: ragarth on April 15, 2016, 06:18:58 AM
Anyone want to be the toothy maw (ie, face) of the party? For any who are new, the face of the party is the one that does all the talking. They take diplomacy at a minimum, and potentially other stats such as bluff or intdimidate that help us talk out of problems, negotiate, etc.

Wasn't really intending to, and don't need to if someone else wants to...But Swablickers have to have a pretty high CHA stat, so it wouldn't be hard to get some results out of a few points in Dip/Bluff/Intimidate, if no-one else steps up who wants the role.

But do you want the crazy lunatic drama-lizard-with-a-sword cutting all the deals for you?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Quinz128

I was figuring either a Snare-Setter (Rogue Archetype in Kobolds of Galerion) or the Trapper (Ranger Archetype in Complete Magic). Since we already have an arcane spellcaster anyways. Not sure on which I want most, yet, but that will be able to fill the skillmonkey role as well as give me the more traditional kobold role (Trapmaker!) I'd like.

Also: In regards to the stats, It didn't ever bother me because I like two things specifically about the kobolds: They are small and move at base 30 speed, which I love. And they are lizard-peoples, which just adds on to how cool they are with the lore. So the stats never bothered me and never seemed to need adjustment. In any case, as I see it, just because there is an all-kobold group, no need to make them lss weak because of that. Just forces players to play smarter. xD

Also Sorry for the delay, had been sick the last few days and haven't felt up to going to E for a bit due to headache. Should be fine, now.

Also: Is this a roll or point buy for stats? Or do we have the 'Average Cascading' stats? You know 18-16-14-12-10-8?

Foxfyr

Quote from: Quinz128 on April 15, 2016, 11:32:48 AM
Also: Is this a roll or point buy for stats? Or do we have the 'Average Cascading' stats? You know 18-16-14-12-10-8?

20 point buy.  See here for other character building info: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245372.msg12240830#msg12240830

Chulanowa

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 15, 2016, 09:39:29 AM
Wasn't really intending to, and don't need to if someone else wants to...But Swablickers have to have a pretty high CHA stat, so it wouldn't be hard to get some results out of a few points in Dip/Bluff/Intimidate, if no-one else steps up who wants the role.

But do you want the crazy lunatic drama-lizard-with-a-sword cutting all the deals for you?

Please don't lick the swab. You don't know where it's been!

I'll get down to coming up with a lizard badass after I do my errands today.

Foxfyr

Also, as a note, there will be more than just the four of you on the ship.  Plenty of NPC kobolds to join you on your adventure as well as doing the mundane work on sailing the ship.  Conveniently enough, should any of you die during the adventure, I'm sure you will find another on the ship willing and capable enough to step up to elite status.  ;D

Quinz128

I was figuring that and quite like the idea. So I'll make... a few characters, just in case. In fact I'll make a Trapper and Snare Setter Sheet and let the group choose which is preferred. I'll see how my points will go based on my stats and see if I can make a decent skill monkey... If not may be able to make a taskmaster of some kind too!

I'm just excited to play a kobold as I have been wanting to for a bit, so am happy to fill differing roles needed for the group.

ragarth

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 15, 2016, 09:39:29 AM

No worse than the crazy lunatic drama-lizard-with-acid-splash

Quinz128

Let's be fair. As kobolds, we'd probably not get much face-time, other than intimidating people. Or crying when things go horribly horribly wrong.

Also: I just checked the cost of points in the point buy for stats and holy crap... 18s will basically not exist in first-buy. I'm used to the rolling or cascading, so this will seem rather low-powered to me, so you know. xD

Anyways, on to make my characters.

ragarth

Quote from: Quinz128 on April 15, 2016, 05:23:08 PM
Let's be fair. As kobolds, we'd probably not get much face-time, other than intimidating people. Or crying when things go horribly horribly wrong.

Also: I just checked the cost of points in the point buy for stats and holy crap... 18s will basically not exist in first-buy. I'm used to the rolling or cascading, so this will seem rather low-powered to me, so you know. xD

Anyways, on to make my characters.

Nope, you pay for the flexibility. And you'd be surprised how useful a good diplomacy skill is for tiny critters.

Besides, that bluff skill will be super useful if I make the swash buckler look like a human kid crying in their cargo hold.

In games that move quicker than pbp, I really enjoy using the diplomacy skill. It's a huge hoot.

ragarth

I've found my familiar. <3

I think this also means our homeland has dinosaurs.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/pterosaur/pterosaur-rhamphorhynchus

... which also means somebold somewhere has tried riding a t.rex.

Teo Torriatte

*peeks in* Would you guys have room for a fifth player? My first instinct would be to play a fire-aspected sorceress who is trying very hard to embrace her inner dragoness(and/or just likes to watch things burn). But I could also offer some kind of cleric since it seems that you guys don't have one.

Foxfyr

I'd be fine with a 5th if you want to join.

Quinz128

First of Three Concepts done. I'll roll with whichever the group chooses or whichever needs to fit. This one would NOT be the face, at all... Drained Charisma a bit to make him a bit of a Savant.

Kirrok the Trapsavant
Class: Snare Setter Rogue
Concept: An savant-like apprentice of trapping
Appearance: Dusty Red scales and pure white eyes other than the pupils dotted in the center, Kirrok seems slightly more hearty than other kobolds. His frame is still weak-looking and wiry, with thin arms and thin legs, though his tail seems a bit thicker than average. His snout seems to have particularly spiny scales, that curl a bit upwards and seems to continue this pattern until they feather out at his forehead in a curious crest. His fingers also seem particularly long, which gives him a bit of a clumsy look. His eyes are set close, as well, causing a bit of a focused look to his gaze.
Personality: A bit loud and rude, it seems like Kirrok never seemed to have gotten beyond the initial selfishness he had upon his hatching. A bit aloof, the trapsmith seems to focus his time in silence, besides the chattering of a mentor, which he bounces between, to enhance his smithing. His skills with traps soon came so that he could set things up in unprecedented times as well as figuring new ways to produce things, making him a bit arrogant in his field as well as a bit louder, overall, despite his general weakness in direct confrontation. But he does think that direct confrontation is a fool's last mistake anyways.
Brief Bio: Kirrok is not originally from this tribe. He, instead, came from another in the mountains that had been routed. He traveled to find new ones and skipped from one tribe to the other, learning a bit more in each before trading his skillfully made traps and leaving with the new bit of knowledge. He eventually found the shipbound tribe, curious of the methods they did and seeing if he could learn a bit more from the smiths here, as well as lend his talents.

Character Sheet Link: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=783327

Will soon be adding the other two choices of Ryzzyl the Sea-Setter a Trapper-Ranger and Dyrtek the Manslayer a Titan Mauler Barbarian

Teo Torriatte

Name: Ss'kala Firedancer
Class: Oracle 4 (Flame, Branded)
Alignment: N-E
Concept: An opportunistic kobold who wants to see her clan rise in prominence, as well as her own status rise within the clan.

Personality: She has a quiet confidence, very graceful in the way she carries herself both physically and socially. She is as ambitious as any of her kind, but is not adverse to taking the long view or to sacrificing short term benefits for long term gains. She is willing to manipulate others to accomplish her goals, but also realizes the importance of pulling her own weight, and even more the importance of others knowing she can do so.

Bio: Ever since she was barely older than a hatchling, Ss'kala had the sense that she was touched by destiny. It wasn't until she was old enough to mate that her destiny partially revealed itself. Some foolish cousin of hers had started a fire near a whole clutch of eggs, her own included. She rushed into the flames to save her eggs, saving as many as she could. Miraculously she wasn't burned to a crisp, but she came out with a sunburst symbol branded on her forehead, and a newly discovered affinity with fire. The fire burning within her has led to a whole new set of abilities and a usefulness to the clan that she could only have previously dreamed of.

STR 8
DEX 14
CON 8
INT 14
WIS 12
CHA 18

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 ranks
Heal 4 ranks
Knowledge(planes) 4 ranks
Profession(sailor) 4 ranks
Sense Motive 4 ranks
(Diplomacy or Craft jewelry) 4 ranks

More stats coming later. She can take diplomacy if someone else doesn't want to. Otherwise she will learn to make jewelry.

Muse

*pounce!* 

Am I too late?  IS there still room? 

What would it help to have? 

(Maybe an alchemist or gunslinger?) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

OOh, pirates!  :) 

I see no gunslingers.  (All good.) 

And we have an oracle. 

I could play a ranger: a guy with a crossbow and a dire weasle or flying dinosaur dinosaur mount. 

Or I could play an alchemist, a mad scientist girl? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ragarth

WOuld anyone be interested in a teamwork feat? Stealth Synergy.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Heya, Quinz?

Hope you don't mind a tiny bit of input on your 'bold. Elliquiy's got a "minimum character age" in any game in which any adult shenanigans might possibly occur...It's 16. Maybe do a (technically adult human age) "in kobold years" or whatever, like Luna did?

Not saying there's GOING to be adult shenanigans, but...This is Elliquiy. XD

Muse, that's an awesome feat...I think my character may be a tiny bit too feat-starved to go for it, though.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Foxfyr

I think they have a caveat allocating for age equivalence for non-normal aging races.

ragarth

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 16, 2016, 10:47:36 AM
Muse ragarth, that's an awesome feat...I think my character may be a tiny bit too feat-starved to go for it, though.

Ah, but if everyone got it. We'd be stealth gods. What's a kobold good for? Slinking into crevaces they don't belong. ~.n

Quinz128

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 16, 2016, 10:47:36 AM
Heya, Quinz?

Hope you don't mind a tiny bit of input on your 'bold. Elliquiy's got a "minimum character age" in any game in which any adult shenanigans might possibly occur...It's 16. Maybe do a (technically adult human age) "in kobold years" or whatever, like Luna did?

Not saying there's GOING to be adult shenanigans, but...This is Elliquiy. XD

Muse, that's an awesome feat...I think my character may be a tiny bit too feat-starved to go for it, though.

I thought they had age-equivelancy, because 30 is the usual peak for kobolds, and they even are considered adult before even reaching 10, if I remember right. But yeah I'll put 'in kobold years' if it makes it safer.

And I do like me some teamwork feats, but always have to worry about things. And hell, if we all end up biting it as individuals, let's be OP stupid and make a group of Swarm Fighters (Kobold Variant on Fighter)

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 16, 2016, 11:00:17 AM
I think they have a caveat allocating for age equivalence for non-normal aging races.

Quote from: Quinz128 on April 16, 2016, 01:07:45 PM
I thought they had age-equivelancy, because 30 is the usual peak for kobolds, and they even are considered adult before even reaching 10, if I remember right. But yeah I'll put 'in kobold years' if it makes it safer.

Yeah, equivalency is allowed, but saying it in print "in kobold years" or whatever makes it safer so that no mod who isn't familiar with kobold lifespans gets worried and jumps in, you know? I'm certainly not trying to make or borrow trouble, just trying to help prevent possible future misunderstanding. :)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Chulanowa

Quote from: Quinz128 on April 15, 2016, 09:36:19 PM
First of Three Concepts done. I'll roll with whichever the group chooses or whichever needs to fit. This one would NOT be the face, at all... Drained Charisma a bit to make him a bit of a Savant.

Kirrok the Trapsavant
Appearance: Dusty Red scales and pure white eyes other than the pupils dotted in the center, Kirrok seems slightly more hearty than other kobolds. His frame is still weak-looking and wiry, with thin arms and thin legs, though his tail seems a bit thicker than average. His snout seems to have particularly spiny scales, that curl a bit upwards and seems to continue this pattern until they feather out at his forehead in a curious crest. His fingers also seem particularly long, which gives him a bit of a clumsy look. His eyes are set close, as well, causing a bit of a focused look to his gaze.
Personality: A bit loud and rude, it seems like Kirrok never seemed to have gotten beyond the initial selfishness he had upon his hatching. A bit aloof, the trapsmith seems to focus his time in silence, besides the chattering of a mentor, which he bounces between, to enhance his smithing. His skills with traps soon came so that he could set things up in unprecedented times as well as figuring new ways to produce things, making him a bit arrogant in his field as well as a bit louder, overall, despite his general weakness in direct confrontation. But he does think that direct confrontation is a fool's last mistake anyways.
Brief Bio: Kirrok is not originally from this tribe. He, instead, came from another in the mountains that had been routed. He traveled to find new ones and skipped from one tribe to the other, learning a bit more in each before trading his skillfully made traps and leaving with the new bit of knowledge. He eventually found the shipbound tribe, curious of the methods they did and seeing if he could learn a bit more from the smiths here, as well as lend his talents.

Will soon be adding the other two choices of Ryzzyl the Sea-Setter a Trapper-Ranger and Dyrtek the Manslayer a Titan Mauler Barbarian

Oh, thank you baby raptor jesus, i'm not stuck with the rogue!

ragarth

Blarg. I'm having writer's block something fierce on this character. I have an idea for a concept but the words. The WORDS. They fail me. :-(

ragarth

Quote from: Chulanowa on April 16, 2016, 03:57:11 PM
Oh, thank you baby raptor jesus, i'm not stuck with the rogue!

SO what would you like to be? A raptor wrangler? :-)

Muse

^_^;; 

Was hoping to find out if there was space for me or not before I started working on a character. 

ragarth

Quote from: Muse on April 16, 2016, 06:11:32 PM
^_^;; 

Was hoping to find out if there was space for me or not before I started working on a character.

I'm not really sure. Right now we're at 5 players. I've never done a system game via pbp so I don't know how many it is before the game gets bogged down, nor do I know what our GM is comfortable handling.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: ragarth on April 16, 2016, 06:19:13 PM
I'm not really sure. Right now we're at 5 players. I've never done a system game via pbp so I don't know how many it is before the game gets bogged down, nor do I know what our GM is comfortable handling.

Six isn't out of the question at all for PbP IF the GM is okay with it. It's really up to the GM, when all is said and done. :)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ragarth

Question for you, Great KING TORG!

If we have the ability to make something, can we make it at creation cost or do we still have to buy it?

CarnivalOfTheGoat

I just wanted to throw out a thing...Possible optional equipment items from a 3rd party PF Supplement called (DRUM ROLL) "Races Revised: The Kobold Kings" by Super Genius Games. As you might expect, these are all kobold-specific racial items (not unlike the "Tail Terror" weapons).

I'd like your opinion on whether or not some or all of these are okay, Foxfyr? (The Propitious Pouch is the item I'm most interested in.)

Buckler, Tail
Buckler, Tail
A tail buckler acts like a normal buckler, but is carefully balanced and constructed to be strapped to the tail of a tailed creature. The tail cannot be used for any other purpose while wearing a tail buckler, and if any other equipment is strapped to the tail the AC bonus of the buckler is lost.
Buckler, Tail; 50 gp; 2 lbs.(1)
Carny's Observation: I think this would probably require either the Prehensile Tail Trait or the Tail Terror Feat to be useful?

Pouch, Tail
Pouch, Tail
A tail pouch is typically made of soft leather, with a wide belt with a tough cloth or sharkskin interior. It straps snugly to the tail of a kobold or similar creature. Because the tail can be brought up to the wearer’s hands easily, an item can be removed from
a tail pouch carefully (a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity) or quickly (a move action that provokes normally). It typically holds 1 lb. or 80 cubic inches (4 inches x 4 inches x 5 inches).
Pouch, Tail (empty); 2 gp; 1/8 lb.(1)
(1)When made for Small characters. When made for Medium creatures this item weighs four times more,
and can carry four times more material.

Propitious Pouch
Propitious Pouch
Aura: moderate conjuration; CL: 6th
Slot: —; Price: 500 gp; Weight: 1 lb.
Description
This pouch is made of soft but sturdy leather, fastened by a single bone button. The pouch appears large enough to hold about a quart of material. In fact it is very similar to the side pouches on a handy haversack, and can actually hold material of as much as 2 cubic feet in volume or 20 pounds in weight. Additionally, when the wearer reaches into it for a specific item, that item is always on top. Thus, no digging around and fumbling is ever necessary to find what the pouch contains. Retrieving any specific item from a propitious pouch is a move action, but it does not provoke the attacks of opportunity that retrieving a stored item usually does.
A propitious pouch can also be used as a tail pouch (see above). In this case, retrieving a single specific item from it is a swift action.
Construction Requirements
Craft Wondrous Item, secret page;
Cost: 250 gp
Carny's Observation: It's basically 1/5 of a Handy Haversack for 1/5 of the cost of a Handy Haversack. This is a thing because even a Handy Haversack (and definitely a Bag of Holding) are actually pretty heavy items for a Kobold.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Idle addendum:

It's worth noting, since Tiamat is missing in most Pathfinder references on Deities, that she does exist in some of the Pathfinder core books.

Apsu (the first good dragon) is the draconic form taken by the fresh water, which was one of two things that existed at the beginning of the universe.

Tiamat (not the first evil dragon, but certainly their queen) is the draconic form taken by the salt water...And what're we most likely to be sailing on, hm?

There are no traits for followers of her religion, no rules for her priests, but I think that if most scaly good things worship Apsu, it makes more sense for more Lawful scaly bad things to worship the big T than to worship Dahak.

Thoughts? Opinions? Declarations of fealty?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Quinz128

Just as a note, fiddling around I have figured modifications on the characters I was making. One is still a Trapper-Ranger, the other I changed from a Titan Mauler to a Savage Fighter with a Dragon-Wrought theme, though Dragon-Wrought is a D&D thing, so won't be commenting on that. Could be quite fun and may want to go that route. Will basically fill for these Martial classes though - Rogue, Ranger or Fighter for sure.

Also that is interesting as I haven't ever seen this mention of Apsu and Tiamat in PF. All my Dragon-God knowledge if from D&D with Io being the original maker, along with Aasternian being my favored. Admittedly, I haven't gotten much into PF's theology. But it is an interesting and entertaining thing to go off of.

Foxfyr

For the buckler, I will require tail terror in order for it to be usable as a typical buckler. Without the feat, it can only be used when going total defense.

For the storage items, I will require prehensile tail for it to be able to be used in combat as stated. Otherwise they will be full round actions that provoke.

As for the dragon deities, I'll give you room to fill in whatever blanks are missing from the pathfinder pantheon.

Foxfyr

Oh, and I am willing to give 6 people a shot. Just know that with that many players, there will be no official posting order and that if we are waiting for more than a day or two for a single person to post, they are subject to being skipped for the sake of maintaining momentum.

That disclaimer stated, it'll be great to have you aboard Muse. :)

Quinz128

Hey, just to note. The more I'm working on the new character, the more I want to play it. Basically a Blue Dragon Wrought Kobold who will focus on being, like, a mini dragon. Will go the Dragon-Style, have Dragon-Feats and Tail Terror in due time so it will be able to breath electricity, natural weapon with the best manufactured weapons as well as give a deafening roar to damage enemies, as well as drape herself in scale-armor to mimic the dragons. She'll be so awesome! (Will change to a male if there is some discrepancy in gender. XD) I also specifically made her a 'face' due to the traits she has. (She has Bluff, Diplomacy AND intimidate as class skills and has points in them)

Here are the three different slots. Preference for play going in a descending order, decided to edit this one than make a new one, since it'd be seen either way!

Gynnezz the Black
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Class: Savage Warrior Fighter
Concept: Warrior Seeking to be as dragonlike as her birthright allows
Appearance:Scales of pure black, eyes of molten red and musculature that seems rare amongst kobolds as her wings. Hardy and strong for a kobold, her frame shows it, with trained muscles and a maw of teeth that cause to give her a rather unsettling visage, even amongst some kobolds. Despite this, her form is not wholey unattractive, perhaps due to the way she carries herself with confidence befitting of one born with such an appearance.
Personality: Gynnezz is rather soft-spoke, despite her look. However on the battlefield that changes where she attempts to be vicious and as ferocious as she believes the dragons she emulates are. Though if one were to ask her, despite the lack of having actually met a dragon, she gathered various stories and interests in the creatures, though which ones are true and fictitious is up for debate. She dreams to meet an actual dragon and gain a blessing for the work she does in imitating them.
Brief Bio: Praised from her birth, Gynnezz has a bit of pride in her look and an awe that came with how people spoke of her being closer to the dragonkind they spawn from than others. She was raised with a sense of duty to the tribe and to work as a protector for them since her birth as she was a natural choice of guardian. This tempered her arrogance as she knew she needed to do what she could to protect those useful and worthy to help the tribe, though also was wise enough to know those that had to be culled shouldn't be saved. She grew up with an intense sense of belonging because of her role, and has a bit of a complex in keeping the security of the tribe whether with words or combat.

Character Sheet Link: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=783329

Kirrok the Trapsavant

Kirrok Image

Ryzzyl the Trapper

Class: Trapper Ranger
Concept: Trapper and Weasel Trainer that holds old grudges
Appearance: Dull brown scales with a tinge of green are what surrounds this kobold giving him quite a earth-tone to his body. His form is less spindly than the average kobold with golden eyes that seem to pop out further due to the tone of his scales. He has a set of spines down the back of his had that are barely noticable and of a brown color.
Personality: Playful with an affinity for small furry creatures, Ryzzyl enjoys the time spent training animals than with others of his race due to a suspicious nature that borders on paranoia. He works on traps for the tribe, but generally keeps to himself despite being able to be friendly when needed.
Brief Bio: Stories of the kobolds under the earth and their competitions was kind of what got Ryzzyl involved in traps to begin with. The idea of tunnels and squeezed areas were fascinating and he wanted to expand a bit on that, seeing if it would be possible to help his tribe in that way. After a bit of an issue with another trapmaker which resulted in an uneasy nature between the trapmakers and Ryzzyl, he was charged with something else, taking care of the weasels that they had kept aboard as hunting companions, pets and food if worse-came-to-worse.

Character Sheet Link: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=783328
Ryzzyl Image

ragarth

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 17, 2016, 04:10:05 AM
For the buckler, I will require tail terror in order for it to be usable as a typical buckler. Without the feat, it can only be used when going total defense.

For the storage items, I will require prehensile tail for it to be able to be used in combat as stated. Otherwise they will be full round actions that provoke.

As for the dragon deities, I'll give you room to fill in whatever blanks are missing from the pathfinder pantheon.

Quote from: ragarth on April 16, 2016, 07:18:53 PM
Question for you, Great KING TORG!

If we have the ability to make something, can we make it at creation cost or do we still have to buy it?

Foxfyr, so if I can make something, do I pay creation or purchase cost?

Foxfyr

@Quinz - 2*str in that situation makes sense to me.

@ragarth - pay the average between them so you gain some of the benefit  but not overly so.

ragarth

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 17, 2016, 12:17:28 PM
@ragarth - pay the average between them so you gain some of the benefit  but not overly so.

Rightio. There are two magic items I came up with that I wanted to run by you.

The first is goggles of painless peering. Previously these were CL1 goggles that give my eyes the effect of penumbra. They're 1000gp purchase cost items. An addition to this that I thought of for this game is to allow the use of read magic 3 times a day, this makes the cost 1540gp.

The second is a convenience item: The bag of useless junk.
It's a CL3 item that allows you to pull up to 30gp of mundane objects from it as a full round action. The bag can have its 30gp value renewed by putting an amount of stuff back into it.
So let's say you have a fresh bag of useless junk and pull some rope out of it. Rope is 5gp, so now you can pull 25gp out of the bag. That rope ends up getting burned to ash and destroyed. You can drop 5gp in objects back in the bag and renew the bag to it's 30gp value. The GM has the freedom to refuse any items being pulled from the bag.

The bag doesn't make the items from nothing. Rather, it pulls the items from the place that all left socks go when you lose them.

It's basically a convenience item that helps me avoid having huge inventory lists like '1 bell, 1 fishhook, twine...'

These are custom magic items that I've used in a few games now. Given that they're custom, they are, of course, subject to GM veto.

------------------------

One more question about purchasing items. I'm taking craft wondrous items because it's just an awesome feat. By RAW, even if the caster level of an item is above the character (ie, handy haversack is CL9), the rules state you can still make it. This means even at 4th level, by raw I can theoretically make a handy haversack or pearl of power.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Item-Creation
Though the listed Caster Level for a pearl of power is 17th, that caster level is not part of the Requirements listing for that item. Therefore, the only caster level requirement for a pearl of power is the character has to be able to cast spells of the desired level. However, it makes sense that the minimum caster level of the pearl is the minimum caster level necessary to cast spells of that level--it would be strange for a 2nd-level pearl to be CL 1st. For example, a 3rd-level wizard with Craft Wondrous Item can create a 1st-level pearl, with a minimum caster level of 1. He can set the caster level to whatever he wants (assuming he can meet the crafting DC), though the pearl's caster level has no effect on its powers (other than its ability to resist dispel magic). If he wants to make a 2nd-level pearl, the caster level has to be at least 3, as wizards can't cast 2nd-level spells until they reach character level 3. He can even try to make a 3rd-level pearl, though the minimum caster level is 5, and he adds +5 to the DC because he doesn't meet the "able to cast 3rd-level spells" requirement.

I found that being able to buy off the caster level of an item leads to a little bit of power bloat, so I asked the GM in a current game I play to house rule that you cannot make a magic item with a caster level higher than your own. I've found that this house rule feels too restrictive because there are some items that are essential that are locked out from me making for forever (pearl of power 1, for instance, is CL18).

Neither option, RAW or the house rule I offered in my current game, is very good. But I know of no better alternatives. So what's your opinion on whether my character can make higher CL items such as a handy haversack or a pearl of power?

To give an idea, some items that are above my caster level that I'm considering making:
2000 handy haversack CL9
4000 headband of vast intelligence +2 CL8
250 traveler's any-tool CL9
750 snapleaf CL5
850 dust of dryness CL11
1000 pearl of power 1

Foxfyr

Those custom items look good to me, so I'll allow both.

As for crafting items above your caster level, I have a proposition that gives you the opportunity to do so, but with increased risk. For each CL the item requires above yours increases the risk of things going awry. In addition to your craft check to make the item in this instance, I will do some rolling behind the scenes regardless of whether you pass the check (though the better your check, the better the outcome will be for you.) Either way, 'crafting beyond your capability' will always run the risk of the item being glitchy, (literally) blowing up in your face, or being a cursed item. So those items are within your reach, but you need to really consider if the need for it is worth the risk.

ragarth

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 17, 2016, 02:34:41 PM
Those custom items look good to me, so I'll allow both.

As for crafting items above your caster level, I have a proposition that gives you the opportunity to do so, but with increased risk. For each CL the item requires above yours increases the risk of things going awry. In addition to your craft check to make the item in this instance, I will do some rolling behind the scenes regardless of whether you pass the check (though the better your check, the better the outcome will be for you.) Either way, 'crafting beyond your capability' will always run the risk of the item being glitchy, (literally) blowing up in your face, or being a cursed item. So those items are within your reach, but you need to really consider if the need for it is worth the risk.

Sounds good to me. Now on that front, if the item's CL is equal or lower than my CL, is there no risk at all? And will I be allowed to know the risk chances? IE less than item CL - my CL on a d100?

Foxfyr

Right, as long as the item CL is at or below yours, the risk of crafting follows the RAW.

As for the risk chances, that will remain a mystery apart from a brief description like 'slight risk', 'moderate risk', 'significant risk', and 'hahaha, good luck'. I feel that helps to keep things interesting.  ;)

ragarth

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 17, 2016, 03:01:13 PM
Right, as long as the item CL is at or below yours, the risk of crafting follows the RAW.

As for the risk chances, that will remain a mystery apart from a brief description like 'slight risk', 'moderate risk', 'significant risk', and 'hahaha, good luck'. I feel that helps to keep things interesting.  ;)

Sounds like fun!

Now, buying extra spells for my spell book. Do I pay scroll cost or copy cost at character creation?

Foxfyr

Chulanowa

So, I'm eyeballing a gunslinger (not 100% yet, anotherp art of me wants to try an occult class or somethign weird), so it demands asking - what's the technology level of the game?

Foxfyr

Early flintlock weaponry is rare and almost exclusively used by pirates due to the risk and unreliability that comes with misfires.

ragarth

Wooo! Writer's block overcome!

Image:

Name: Tilde (tilsin'rayair)
Class: Transmutation Wizard (Enhancement)
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Character Concept: Curious and opportunistic kobold researcher who became a pirate as a chance to learn more from the metal invaders.

Appearance: Tilde is a scrawny little kobold whose crimson scales shimmer with a slight iridescence. It's clear she takes care polishing her charcoal horns, giving them a manicured shine akin to obsidian and using them to bias the lithe little lizard's aquamarine blue eyes. A set of sturdy brown explorer's robes snug tightly to her sensitive scales while an implement laden bandoleer runs from shoulder to hip, acting as a strap for her leather satchel. The little kobold's leather belt also sees storage use, holding her belt pouch, dagger and scroll box while her feet are wrapped in sturdy leather foot wraps.

Personality: Her curiosity will be this kobolds down fall--She's been known to tail curl at the opportunity to explore new territory and experience new things. She's excitable and given to exuberance bordering on thoughtlessness, though when crunch comes she prefers to go into a situation with a well thought out plan than to rush head long into a situation. She's very conscientious of her appearance, keeping her horns polished and scales supple, even if her time while not doing fieldwork is most often spent in the lab.

Brief Bio: Tilde is a crimson kobold of the Qanescir warren. She was just a young hatchling when the metal monsters invaded, but stories of her tribe's guile and superiority tickled her curiosity and stoked a fire for adventure in her belly... as well as a taste for human flesh. That obsession carried Tilde through her formative years; dedication (and a few hapless hatchery peers) helping her foment a talent for transmutation that garnered her an apprenticeship as one of the researchers studying the artifacts the metal invaders left. Upon completion of the great ships that would take the Qanescir tribe to the open seas, Tilde jumped at the first chance to join a mission and set sail to find new artifacts, new knowledge, and new food. Tilde is a researcher by profession, taking pride in using her mind to serve the warren.

Clearly I'm taking profession: science or something like that.

Trait-wise I'm torn between taking the really great looking Transmuter, or possibly pragmatic activator. I've never really had much of a use for UMD, but it fits with her profession. I don't have the skill points to spare on it though *and* its not a class skill. D:

Chulanowa

Also, in case anyone wants, here's a tublr blog packed with kobolds: http://a-kobold-irl.tumblr.com

Including our mascot!

ragarth

Hee, we don't have a kobold crit-fisher yet. Those things are evil.

Sad that profession skills are wisdom. It doesn't make sense  that a science profession uses wisdom instead of intelligence. D:

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: ragarth on April 17, 2016, 09:51:55 PM

Sad that profession skills are wisdom. It doesn't make sense  that a science profession uses wisdom instead of intelligence. D:

Kobold swashbuckler. That's pretty much what it is, yes. Complete with crit-fishing tackle once you get to level 5.

I should have her up tonight or early tomorrow.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Quinz128

Quote from: ragarth on April 17, 2016, 09:51:55 PM

Profession is the ability to use knowledge for applications in ways to profit. Just having scientific knowledge would be knowledge skills. Physics would fall under engineering. Biology under nature, etc.

ragarth

Quote from: Quinz128 on April 18, 2016, 04:43:28 AM
Profession is the ability to use knowledge for applications in ways to profit. Just having scientific knowledge would be knowledge skills. Physics would fall under engineering. Biology under nature, etc.

That's not how I read the skill.

QuoteProfession skill represents an aptitude in a vocation requiring a broader range of less specific knowledge.

In this case, the profession skill represents aptitude in using the tools of the trade and skill in thinking out that type of problem. Being a researcher is more than knowing rote facts or the ability to dig up rote facts. It's a system of thinking.

Knowledge skills don't give the ability to use a microscope. Profession: SCIENCE! does.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

I'm sort of waffling on whether to go Mouser or vanilla Swashbuckler at this point, and a lot of it has to do with party composition.

If there are 2+ other melee-types, Mouser is exceedingly effective. If there aren't, vanilla will contribute more both in abilities and damage. At this point, I'm not sure what Muse and Chula are playing...Or Quinz, who has submitted three different sheets. Makes it hard to think in terms of party composition.

Muse asked about firearms, and got told that they are "almost exclusively used by pirates." The kobolds have salvaged a ship, but I'm not entirely sure if that's okaying Muse for a Gunslinger or not, which is what the focus of Muse's question was, because the initial campaign post said "Pathfinder (anything in the SRD aside from psionics, firearms, and 3rd party stuff)."

I'm not trying to give Muse a hard time here, the answer seemed vague to me and I am trying to sort out whether I need to make a more DPS-y Mouser Swasher or a potentially tanky (and oddly, more reliable DPS) vanilla Swasher.

To put it on the plate: Mouser sacrifices the always-useful Parry & Riposte auto-attack ability which can be used against as many attacking enemies as she has AoOs for a situational (we won't always be fighting medium+ sized creatures) nasty set of disads applied to a single target + automatic flanking bonus for everyone adjacent. It also sacrifices a practically always-on damage bonus for a potential mid-combat pickpocketing trick (not so enthusiastic, but could potentially be handy against casters). Sure, at 7th level the Mouser gains a swift-action dirty trick, but this is a 4th level game!

IN OTHER NEWS:
Ss'Kala Firedancer now has a not-identical twin sister, K'Shala Stormdancer. And yes, they get along like fire and water (K'Shala manifests signs of blue dragon heritage)... Both hatched from the same over-large egg (egg-twinning does happen in reptiles and birds...Most of the time you get two dead chicks, some of the time you get one strong chick that destroys the other...But you do occasionally get two chicks). Where Ss'Kala is the epitome of the kobold who looks out for her own, K'Shala is probably the most conniving reptile anyone knows, always ready to wheedle an easy ride for some later favor and a vicious trickster when it comes to a fight. There's a fair bit of sibling rivalry and occasional bickering, but when the chips are down no-one can remember a time that they didn't come to each other's aid.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ragarth

CarnivalOfTheGoat,
I'm having some challenges with Tilde as well. In total I have 13 points sunk into knowledge skills. I'm also trying to decide on picking up a drawback so I can buff Performance: Exotic Dancing.

FoxFyr:
Given my character's profession of researcher. What's your opinion, should I take UMD or does that seem like a spurious connection to you? I basically never take UMD so it'd be pretty much all character flaire for me.

And also on skills. Would profession:Sailor be a reasonable sub for climb checks on ship riggings and rope, but not on other surfaces?

ALso to note: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/goblin-pirate

Yesssssss.. if only that weren't a dirty goblin thing.

Foxfyr

Ah, right. That character build information was recycled from another game I ran a while back. Since then, I've had some experience with firearm classes and am comfortable enough to include them. So yes, a gunslinger is fine.

It wouldn't hurt to put one rank in UMD, I'm sure there will be occasion where it can come in handy. As for profession:sailor, yes, it can be used in lieu of climbing and acrobatics skills when it comes to maneuvering and staying balanced with ship related stuff.

ragarth

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 18, 2016, 07:44:48 PM
Ah, right. That character build information was recycled from another game I ran a while back. Since then, I've had some experience with firearm classes and am comfortable enough to include them. So yes, a gunslinger is fine.

It wouldn't hurt to put one rank in UMD, I'm sure there will be occasion where it can come in handy. As for profession:sailor, yes, it can be used in lieu of climbing and acrobatics skills when it comes to maneuvering and staying balanced with ship related stuff.

Hmm. It feels like I'm spreading my skills a little thin, I need to trim some fat from my skills. I've already decided I'll need to shore up climbing and swimming with magic. Assuming you allow drawbacks, this is what I'm looking at right now (subject to change):

Traits:
[drawback] Cruelty: Penalties for not executing the helpless and dying. (This just sounded too fun not to take)
[magic]  pragmatic activator: Intelligence for UMD
[racial] Smoke Resistant: Can see through non-magic smoke, +5 fort saves vs smoke
[social] Savant: +2 performance: Exotic dancing and its a class skill

skills (8, 32pts):
0 profession: Sailor (headband)
4 profession: SCIENCE!
4 performance: Exotic Dancing*
2 use magic device
1 perception*
4 stealth
4 spellcraft
4 kn:arcana
9 1pt in every other knowledge

feats:
craft wondrous items
kobold confidence

Quinz128

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 18, 2016, 05:05:37 PM
[...]
Or Quinz, who has submitted three different sheets. Makes it hard to think in terms of party composition.
[...]

I have the three I'd want to play in decending preference. Just wanted to let you know. I'll fill the 1) Frontline Combatant/Face, 2) Skillmonkey/Stealthy-punk or 3)Skillmonkey/Ranged combatant depending on what needs to be done and what people would prefer. I'm always good at filling. My preference is just playing a kobold, also, why I made this thread. So I'm fine with changing WHICH kobold I play.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Quinz128 on April 18, 2016, 09:03:07 PM
I have the three I'd want to play in decending preference. Just wanted to let you know. I'll fill the 1) Frontline Combatant/Face, 2) Skillmonkey/Stealthy-punk or 3)Skillmonkey/Ranged combatant depending on what needs to be done and what people would prefer. I'm always good at filling. My preference is just playing a kobold, also, why I made this thread. So I'm fine with crhanging WHICH kobold I play.

If you need to free up skill points, my character is very high charisma and I'd already focused traits to improve her social skills... particularly useful because swashbucklers use intimidate and taunts in combat.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Quinz128

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 18, 2016, 09:21:11 PM
If you need to free up skill points, my character is very high charisma and I'd already focused traits to improve her social skills... particularly useful because swashbucklers use intimidate and taunts in combat.

Not necessary. Thanks to how PF handles class skills I feel comfortable spreading some. Not to mention favored class bonus choices help. I feel Gynnezz's concept is fine. Ryzzyl may be spread thin a bit, but Kirrok has so many skill points it doesn't matter for him.

Also: Question for our Illustrious GM. I noticed on my sheets I just rounded up for the HPs that had a half-point. Should I have rounded up or rounded down? (Example, Gynnezz is 38 because I did 10+8+8+8+4(Con/Lvl) because (3/4*10=7.5) should it have been 7 or 8 for levels 2, 3 and 4?

TheGlyphstone

I'm very disappointed to learn this thread is not a recruiting request for Kobolds Ate My Babies. :'(

Chulanowa

I had an idea for a diatryma-riding kobold ranger. But that won't work so much on a boat. Then I thought, hey Shaman... well, we have a Wizard and oracle, oof. Crazy idea: Donk the Fauxbold (lizardman) Barbarian... don't think that would work.

Quinz128

Quote from: Chulanowa on April 19, 2016, 12:31:08 AM
I had an idea for a diatryma-riding kobold ranger. But that won't work so much on a boat. Then I thought, hey Shaman... well, we have a Wizard and oracle, oof. Crazy idea: Donk the Fauxbold (lizardman) Barbarian... don't think that would work.

Why not just make a proper Kobold Barbarian? I was considering that for Gynnezz, at first, before getting a concrete idea for her. Barbarian Kobolds can be terrifying dervishes of death.

Also: A note to all, Corrected some numbers on my sheets and added equipment for Ryzzyl. He also has his trusty Animal Companion Kiksyl the Giant Weasel set to go and armored up. And once she grows to medium, so going to be a mount for him. xD

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 18, 2016, 11:39:23 PM
I'm very disappointed to learn this thread is not a recruiting request for Kobolds Ate My Babies. :'(

That's an awesome game.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Muse

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 17, 2016, 04:14:08 AM
That disclaimer stated, it'll be great to have you aboard Muse. :)

HIp hip huzzah!  :)  Thank you. 

Well, I had no idea anyone had adressed my question about gunslingers...  ^_^;;  I had allready moved on to being torn between an alchemist and a ranger...  But I could be a kobold musket master...  Oh the decisions... 

ragarth

Hmm. My opposition schools were abjuration and enchantment, but now that I decided to take exotic dancing I'm tempted to swap enchantment for evocation. But evocation has some decent long range anti-ship spells. Oh the decisions!

I could go universalist and take a heady power cut, but gain another feat. I dunno if it's worth it though. D:

Foxfyr

Quote from: Quinz128 on April 18, 2016, 11:25:59 PM
Also: Question for our Illustrious GM. I noticed on my sheets I just rounded up for the HPs that had a half-point. Should I have rounded up or rounded down? (Example, Gynnezz is 38 because I did 10+8+8+8+4(Con/Lvl) because (3/4*10=7.5) should it have been 7 or 8 for levels 2, 3 and 4?

Hit Points: Max first die, ¾ (round up) for the following 3 levels.

Quote from: Muse on April 19, 2016, 07:37:33 AM
Well, I had no idea anyone had adressed my question about gunslingers...  ^_^;;  I had allready moved on to being torn between an alchemist and a ranger...  But I could be a kobold musket master...  Oh the decisions...

Gunslinger is fine for this campaign.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Did we settle on whether we were doing Medium or Fast experience (IMHO Fast works better in a PbP setting, unless you never want to see anyone level up)?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Foxfyr

ragarth

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 19, 2016, 08:19:01 PM
We will be going on the fast xp track.

I thought we were doing medium. :-(
As I said on the first page, my experience with fast is that you don't get time to explore a level.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: ragarth on April 19, 2016, 08:32:32 PM
I thought we were doing medium. :-(
As I said on the first page, my experience with fast is that you don't get time to explore a level.

Is your experience with Fast on a forum game?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ragarth

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 19, 2016, 09:26:40 PM
Is your experience with Fast on a forum game?

No, but experience isn't measured over time, it's measured over number of encounters. Whether on a forum or in person, the number of encounters from levels 4 to 5 is still the same. Fast xp means fewer encounters, less time to explore a level, as opposed to normal xp.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: ragarth on April 19, 2016, 09:45:43 PM
No, but experience isn't measured over time, it's measured over number of encounters. Whether on a forum or in person, the number of encounters from levels 4 to 5 is still the same. Fast xp means fewer encounters, less time to explore a level, as opposed to normal xp.

Generally, in a face-to-face game, it doesn't take a year-plus to get through that many encounters. On a forum game, on the other hand...

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Quinz128

I, personally, prefer fast. You don't need to 'experience' the levels as much, IMO, and the power-spikes are more fun for me. Like I have all of my characters planned up to around level 10, and am bouncing with excitement about using the skills they will get later on, because I'm just like that with systems.

Muse

I'll PM you my work in progress, Fox. 

Ragarth, while I known exaclty where you're comign from, I definatly agree iwth Carney and Quinzz on this one.  ^_^;;

Chulanowa

Hell, I would advocate just abandoning experience in PbP, and instead level up by the milestone method. This isn't 3.5, item crafting and spells don't use experience points as a resource anymore, so no real reason to keep that system going.

On another note? I FINALLY have free time to devote today. So I should have a lizardbutt going shortly

ragarth

Quote from: Chulanowa on April 20, 2016, 12:37:29 PM
Hell, I would advocate just abandoning experience in PbP, and instead level up by the milestone method. This isn't 3.5, item crafting and spells don't use experience points as a resource anymore, so no real reason to keep that system going.

On another note? I FINALLY have free time to devote today. So I should have a lizardbutt going shortly

I approve of this. Free me from the shackles of XP! End the tyranny of leveling expectations and show me the kraken!

Quinz128

Quote from: Chulanowa on April 20, 2016, 12:37:29 PM

I'd be fine with this, especially since I have been playing Feng Shui lately and it uses milestones for leveling >.>

ragarth

Tilde is basically done now. She gets a +10 to exotic dancing. :-)

I have a myth-weavers sheet filled out for her (sans spells), but I think I'll put her familiar, equipment, and spells on a google spreadsheet instead.

Fauxfyr, a few questions for you:

What are the game requirements for a character sheet (aside from the elliquiy pasty requested earlier)?

Can we go with Chulanowa's suggestion of abandoning XP altogether and leveling by milestone instead?

Who's gonna name our ship? Can I vote for Scaled Kraken?

Quinz128

Quote from: ragarth on April 20, 2016, 10:22:50 PM

Scaled Kraken? How disrespectful! Clearly we need to have something strong and powerful like the dragonblood through our veins! Like: Ripsnarl! For we shall be the Ripsnarl tribe! YIP!

Also: I can agree with the milestone thing, as stated before. xD

ragarth

Quote from: Quinz128 on April 20, 2016, 11:56:16 PM
Scaled Kraken? How disrespectful! Clearly we need to have something strong and powerful like the dragonblood through our veins! Like: Ripsnarl! For we shall be the Ripsnarl tribe! YIP!

Also: I can agree with the milestone thing, as stated before. xD

Scaled Kraken has multiple meanings. I thought it was funny. :-)

Foxfyr

Quote from: ragarth on April 20, 2016, 10:22:50 PM
What are the game requirements for a character sheet (aside from the elliquiy pasty requested earlier)?

Can we go with Chulanowa's suggestion of abandoning XP altogether and leveling by milestone instead?

1) A myth-weavers character sheet that has all your stats and whatnot for the system aspect of the game on top of the fluff sheet posted earlier.

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Class:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Alignment:[/b]
[b]Character Concept:[/b]  [i]This adventure needs CHARACTERS. Not just a combination of statistics and abilities, but characters who will come to life during the story we are about to tell. With that in mind, think about the character you want to build. Remember, we are going to be pirates! Likewise, 2/3rds of this adventure will probably take place at sea. Think about the character class you are playing and how they will interact with this environment. Your character concept should be the first thing you write down, "I am a (best adjective to describe your character) kobold who (your character’s goal.) For example: “I am a brave hobbit who wants to destroy the Ring but really hates leaving home.”[/i]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Brief Bio:[/b]

2) Milestone leveling system works fine for me.

3) The ship was previously named, Wormwood, which one of the more literate kobolds of the tribe has since switched it to the Wyrmwood.  However, if you were wanting it to be something else, you would have plenty of time to paint over the existing lettering.

Muse

I love that ship's name personaly. 

I'm going capign for the weekend starting in the wee hours of this ocmign morning. 

ragarth

SO what kind of ship do we have? Is it a galley? are we using ballista and catapults or do we have cannons?

Edit: Alright, Tilde's done. Do you want me to IM you the links and such?

Foxfyr

The Wyrmwood

Sailing Ship
Colossal ship
Squares 3 (30 ft. by 100 ft.) Cost 10,000 gp

DEFENSE
AC 2; Hardness 5
hp 1,620 (sails 360)
Base Save +6

OFFENSE

Maximum Speed 90 ft. (wind); Acceleration 30 ft.
CMB +8; CMD 18
Ramming Damage 8d8

STATISTICS
Propulsion wind or current
Sailing Check Profession (sailor)
Control Device steering wheel
Means of Propulsion 90 squares of sails (three masts)
Crew 20
Decks 3
Cargo/Passengers 150 tons/120 passengers

At this point, the ship isn't outfitted with siege weapons.

Feel free to post your character in this thread.

Foxfyr

Muse

*Tipity types at concept* 

Do kobolds hatch from eggs? 

ragarth

Quote from: Muse on April 26, 2016, 10:45:19 AM
*Tipity types at concept* 

Do kobolds hatch from eggs?

Yep. And if I remember my kobolds of golarion, they're raised communally in hatcheries by brood mothers, not family units.

Kobolds are very communist.