News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Moments of Badassery in Rp's, RPG's, and other such things

Started by Ironwolf85, April 07, 2011, 01:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwolf85

this is place for awesome moments of badassery, amazing kills, fights, epic conflicts.
anything from any games. of course the more creative the better, table top RPG's especally. no "aww you shoulda seen me on Halo last night I was like..." okay.

here are a one of mine:

Playing the new game dungeons, in witch you play the Dungeon lord, aka, like evil manager of a dungeon where you lure adventurers in, treat them to a good time, then drain them dry of life energy when they are happy, and kill them.
WOOOT it's good to be the boss... except...

Ragnar the Magnificent, level 20 Barbarian Paladin... I must've made someone's hit list... or it was a game glitch or somthing...
unlike the other heroes this badass kicks in my dungeon door big gold and white armor, charges down the stairs, and begins a rampage that, if it was visible under the evil helmet, would have made my Dungeon Lord's jaw drop.
This guy stomps ALL the giant insects on the first level, completely ignores all the treasure, magic tomes, and cool weapons, plants his axe in the face of one of my goblin workers who was trying to dig a tunnel, then bashes the minotaur's face in with a shield when he goes to get rid of this annoyance. when he encounters the golem guardians he rips one's magical heart out and sends the other one flying through the air with a lightning bolt, by this time I'm getting off by throne to deal with this jackass persionally.
I block his path with a horde of minions with myself at the head... the hero faces his doom... instead he makes a sharp right and heads down the passage, I realize where he's going... to my dungeon.
he literally runs over the skeletons stationed there and opens the cells.
suddenly I have twenty lesser heroes are now charging down on me with him at the head... there was blood everywhere, monsters and heroes dead all across the hallway. including my dungeon lord...
i respawn just in time to be standing in his way when he reaches the dungeon heart... the giant glowing ruby at the center of the dungeon... history repeats itself.
As he and the remaining heroes attack the heart, the monsters charge forth to stop them, igniting another bloodbath as seven heroes hold off the horde with spells and sword, including a nasty fireball affect that I saw even when zoomed out.
finally they crack the heart, and the dungeon comes collapsing down, evil has been destroyed.
my dungeon lord respawned and got the hell out of there while they second wave crashed down onto the heroes slinking back into the neitherworld from whence he came.

The image of the dungeon lord at some bar in the neitherworld passed out drunk tho goblins talking at the bar, "didn't he used to be a big shot?" "yeah" "what happened..." there is a moment of silence "paladin..." and they burst out laughing.

I'll post more later
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Callie Del Noire

This one was half the group half the character..

I was in A-School in Memphis, I had just finished my Radar Theory segment and just done five advancement books with four guys in hopes we'd be allowed to take the advancement exam (we were eligible but the chain was waffling, we got told no.

So my buddy goes.. "We need to do some DnD."
"I'd like to play a wild mage" (Me)
"No.. you can make anything else but not a wild mage"

The dice rolls came out and I made up Burgin Fiveboars. Chaotic Good 2nd Edition dual class Fighter/Thief.

Burgin was evil and underhanded in a fight.. specced to be sneaker and tweaker. He had rope use, dual weapons and an attitude. He was a cigar smoking, eel and grease sandwich-eating nightmare. First bad guy boss type we face, Burgin sneaks in ahead of the group.

Boss makes his speech, half way through the monologue a rope falls from the trees, Burgin drops from the branches and hops on the guys horse. Hangs him in front of his entire crew.

A bit late (about 5 levels or so) the group gets scattered over this MASSIVE underground forest (Teleport trap). The druid finds a magically bound dragon and releases it. Burgin meanwhile gets dropped into the middle of a nest of goblins. Twenty minutes of running battle, three poisoned shaman, and six healing potions (which belong to the priest.. but were 'borrowed') later, Burgin is sitting on the sole surving member of the tribe who 'offered' to be his guide. (IE.. 'I'll show you how to leave if you stop twisting that there knife in my thigh..')

A little bit later, Burgin is led to the entrance the forest by said goblin, who is sent to 'check for traps' (ie.. Burgin kicked him down the stairs) and sees a HORDE of forest denizens running down in the forest's edge and a massive cloud being raised by the dragon's rampage in the forest.

Seeing all this.. Burgin walks down to the now battered broken and out cold goblin and sits on the ledge beside him. He looks down at the choas below, lights a cigar, smokes as he unwraps his sandwich and after pause takes a bite (spicing it with cigar ash) and returns to watching the chaos thoughtfully. After a moment he looks down to the senseless goblin and says...

"Did you tell them I was coming?"

Gameplay stops for an HOUR. No one can look at me without cracking up.

After the dragon was killed, Burgin loaded up his share on his mule (called 'You old Bastard') with his share, declared he was 'retired' bad mouthed the paladin and rode off. He found a nice tavern, a pair of halfing wives and was happily committing bigamy.

The running gag was that the Paladin was nastier on paper.. (could do a HELL of lot more damage in an upright fight.. but the dice didn't run for him) but as the cleric said 'Burgin has killed more folk than cancer.' 

Burgin asked for.. AND got a belt of hill giant strength to come out of retirement and help out. (which is something you don't want a street fighting  fighter/thief of halfling size to have) Several would be tavern robbers were beaten to death with a pewter flagon.

Major Major

Okay, here's one I did  years ago, based around Star Wars. The plot was that a Sith Lord and his cronies had found Earth during WWII, and were buddy-buddy with the Nazi High Command. Meantime a group of Jedi had joined forces with a Platoon of British soldiers, and their CO, Captain Morrison, had turned out to be Force Sensitive.

We were in the final battle sequence, set above Earth on the Sith Lord's ship. Morrison is the last man standing against the Sith Lord. He's tired, badly injured, barely managing to stay on his feet and concious. The Sith Lord's gloating and doing the Palpatine routine, when Morrison manages to scoop up a Luger that a German officer had dropped early in the fight, and gunned down the Sith Lord like Han Solo killing Greedo.

Hemingway

My experience with tabletop RPGs is sadly extremely limited, but I do have a Warhammer 40k story I believe would qualify.

A story of how a small unit ( 6, I believe ) of Dark Elder Incubi - elite close combat units with giant swords - butchered most of the enemy ( also Dark Eldar ) army single-handedly. The first thing they did was take on a unit of ten or so Wyches - less elite but still decent close combat units - and butchered them down to the last man. Once my enemy realized the way was open to the point I needed to capture, he turned literally all his remaining units on the Incubi. Twenty Kabalite warriors - regular long-range infantry - and an APC with a giant cannon all fired on my unit, and literally not a single of them died. After casually shrugging off that volley, they charged right across the field, into the building where one unit of Kabalite Warriors were hiding, and ... well, butchered all of them as well.

At this point, the enemy might still have won, because the Incubi can't capture points, and so all he had to do was use his APC and remaining warriors to kill my remaining warriors, and he would've won. Killing my warriors, as it turns, was harder than it might have seemed. My warriors had taken a few casualties, so statistically, they shouldn't have stood much of a chance against an APC loaded with warriors, but they did have a heavy weapon with them. When the enemy APC tried to run them down, the warrior with the heavy weapon faced down the oncoming vehicle ( Death or Glory! ), and ... blasted it to hell. The crew were killed in short order.

It wasn't some epic, large-scale fight, but ... man, I felt pretty satisfied about it.

Sabby

Damn, was expecting this to be a big Mass Effect wank fest.

Callie Del Noire

Jeramiahh

Sadly, not mine, but ones I found a while back. One a game of Vampire/d20 modern, and one a more classic D&D game.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/5940037/images/1253492648325.jpg

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9844/legendary20epic20failur.jpg
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Jeramiahh on April 07, 2011, 09:56:39 PM
Sadly, not mine, but ones I found a while back. One a game of Vampire/d20 modern, and one a more classic D&D game.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/5940037/images/1253492648325.jpg

http://s94913612.onlinehome.us/legendary%20epic%20failure.jpg

First one nice..2nd one.. got chuck norris denying me.

The vampire game sounds like something I'd have done to a GM who let the payer run over him.

Jeramiahh

Second one reuploaded to Imageshack, should work now.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Jeramiahh on April 07, 2011, 10:07:40 PM
Second one reuploaded to Imageshack, should work now.

Bwhahahahahahhaahahhahahahahahahahahahha... A 1 die roll that is sooooo bad it pierces the time/space continuum and comes out on the 'good lord that is a cool crit' success side. D

Ironwolf85

I got another one!
Jacques De Mortae, my only successful ravenloft character.
for those who don't know ravenloft is a dark, gothic, fantasy world, where evil is always lurking just under the surface, and the heroes are always fighting an uphill battle.
for Jacques... he thrived on the abuse and fighting.
I found that the "Anthromorphic Light Warhorse" from savage species made an excellent technical fighter and wanted to try it, really he and his high fantasy counterpart Aubert are what got me on the furry thing.
Jac's got an outsider rating of 5 meaning your average peasent dislikes him because he's wierd.

his first adventure the group was ambushed by a noble turned druid who lured them in with the fake "damsel in distress" rotune, turned out adventures are hard up for work in Dementlau, the peasents are too poor to pay you for helping, the nobles are rich enough to have small armies of mercs, and all the ruins are long picked clean. so we took the job, Jac never even asked for payment.
she got us seperated like idiots, and her plant monsters started picking us off, Jac faced down a swarm of twigblights, wound up hiding in a room and baracading the door.
Eventually it ended with him surrounded, leaping out a window, and escaping into the woods.
but Jacques, being the good guy, came back for his fellow adventurers with saber in one hand, molitov in the other.
He burned the plants down, butchered the twigblights, and torched the evil demon plant in the basement. mostly by outsmarting enemies, and forcing them to fight on his terms.
during the fight one of the party members ran off, and was cursed by the "dark powers of ravenloft" for abandoning his friends, eventually became a reoccuring villian.

After surviving that, Jac developed quickly into an experienced monster hunter, even if people saw him as wierd.
Jac was this tall white furred anthro warhorse, his blonde hair pulled back into a pony tail, leather vest, chaimail, armed with buckler and saber, looking back he began to remind me a bit of geralt from the witcher series.
His best badass moment was going toe to toe with an ogre ghoul, he'd been exploring a catacomb looking for clues to high way robbers, when ghouls swarmed him. he turned into a tornado of death, bashing one with his buckler slicing another's head off, it was only a two person hallway, so he turned it into a meat grinder.
when they found the abandoned wagons this huge Ogre ghoul, imagine a purple orge with long talons, a face closer to a mangy lion that a humanoid, and a massive green tounge, and two beedy red eyes, charged them.
He killed the wizard in one hit, bit the cleric's head off, and mule kicked jacques down into the ruined caravans.
when he leaped down, jac used a wooden plank as a spear driving it into the creature's eye, when it lashed out he started stabbing at it, harassing it and trying to stay out of the way.
then tripped it thanks to his improved trip feat, then drove his sword into it's other eye.
it slaped him across the ditch, where he got a wooden shard in his ribs, breaking one or two.of them.
the creature charged, relying on the scent of blood, jacques took his attack of oppertounity to trip it yet again, he'd lost his sword when he was hit, instead he grabbed a iron ingot (somthing the bandits didn't care about) and began beating the monster to death, screaming the entire time.
he killed it... he killed the damn ogre.
covered in ichor, blood, and worse, he dragged himself out of the ditch (finding his sword on the way up)
he dragged the ogre with him, and threw it's corpse into the dirt.
by now the actual bandits had arrived to see this bloody scene.
jac looked at them snarled and said "MOVE!"
the peasent bandits armed with pitchforls and stolen weapons just stepped aside.
that was the end of the game though... Jac never got an epolouge so I still use him in Rp's sometimes
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Oniya

One of my tabletop GMs ran a D&D campaign (2ed homebrew) with a Native American slant to it.  Character classes were Warrior (Fighter), Scout (Ranger/Thief), and Shaman (Cleric/Magic-User).  Damage was on a d6 system, with a d20 'To Hit' and Lucky Shot rules (natural 20 did full damage plus a re-roll.  Any 6 rolled when determining damage was added in and re-rolled.  This was to make people actually stop and think when confronted with a heavy crossbow, instead of saying 'I can soak 18 points').  I ran a Scout with a sling (1d6 damage).

Our first 'adventure' was the buffalo hunt that would give us our 'adult names'.  Those of us that weren't Warriors were supposed to provide support as the Warriors went to take down a buffalo.

So, we're riding after this buffalo, and the Scouts are sort of harassing it so that the Warriors can go for the kill.  One of the Warriors (Mr. Oniya's character) actually gets trampled (gaining the name of 'Lies on Ground and Makes No Noise').  I wind up and sling a stone at it.

Nat 20.  So I've got 6 points of damage and get to re-roll for more.  Another 6.  Then another, and another.... and eventually, a 5.  By that time, I had amassed enough damage with that one stone that the GM looked at me, shook his head and said:

'The stone goes into the buffalo's ear, and out the other one, carrying the brain with it.  The animal takes a few more steps from pure momentum, not realizing that it's already dead.'  And thus, I got the name 'Strikes like Serpent's Shadow'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ironwolf85

Lies on ground... makes no noise....
nice...
let me see...
my other equine character Aubert, an intelectual cleric, once called on the power of his deity pelor to aid him, one of the hourse rules of the game was you rolled a d20 + your chrisma mod + or - any situation modifiers (deities are more likely to help if your in trouble, or have done somthing cool in their name.) and get a result.
the female cleric of Miseline, godess of the wayward, rolled a 4 and got a nice breeze for the ship
while negoating in a forgien city Aubert rolled a 20... he got archons and angels coming down and convincing not just the leaders, but the entire city (which had no gods) to join our side against the Magisters, and converted the entire population to his faith in one fell swoop....

HairyHeretic

I've never had quite that many exploding dice, but a friend of mine did in a Shadowrun game. The run had gone horribly wrong, and the team were legging it. They run outside, and run into a response squad trundling along in an APC. They haven't got the heavy firepower to fight this, but the sniper on overwatch takes the shot anyway. He rolled that many successes, the GM ruled the shot had gone in through a vision port, and ricocheted around enough that the entire squad inside were turned into mush.

The PCs, naturally enough, then stole the APC and made off in it.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Ironwolf85

wow...
i am running cyberpunk and my players are just showing ofrf badassery week after week.
let's see... one PC was killed because he stuffed his jacket full of C6 explosive... and the guy they kidnapped had a self distruct implant just in case...
so pop...bang... BOOOOM
there goes part of lower manhatten.
another moment was the full body borg (the only party member to survive the explosion... barely) was blasted off the roof of a building, survived the fall, and crushed the corprate soldiers holding the rest of her team at gunpoint

Avis habilis

An alt-post-Civil War hack of Spirit of the Century. We're battling an undead Confederate soldier. We've freed a small group of slaves from the neo-Reb capitol building in Atlanta. For some reason hauling him into the air with our phlogiston-powered airship & dropping him again sounded like a good idea, so up he goes with a hook buried in his back. All of us good guys in the cabin are going to open up on him with our guns. He wins initiative. Gets an Epic result on his Guns roll. This lets him wipe out every extra we've got with us. So, bang!bang!bang!bang!bang! the slaves' eighteen hours of freedom come to a sudden end as dangling from a hook & spinning in midair he puts a bullet through each of their hearts.

Hey, you didn't say it had to be badassery on the heroes' part.

ReijiTabibito

I had a moment...well, okay, technically the whole party had a moment in this one two-part session of Shadowrun 3e we had back when I was in HS...lemme see if I can find it.  I know I've typed it up somewhere.  Warning.  It is long.

EDIT:  Here it is!  Note - familiarity with Shadowrun 3rd edition will help comprehension.

Okay, another story, this one an SR 3rd ed story from back during my last year in high school.  This is part awesome, part funny, and every player in the game had one, the other, or both (though only one did that).  Our team consisted of 5 runners, whose names (all but mine) evade me and my friends at this moment, but whose character concepts and who they were played by, fortunately, do not.

1: The Dwarf Street Sam, our group combat heavy and sometime Rigger, played by the GM's girlfriend.
2: The Elf Tech Wizard, who was our primary decker and go-to guy for electronics, played by my best friend since forever.
3: The Human Face/Infiltrator, our guy who opened doors, played by a guy everyone met around the same time.  The FNG, if you will.
4: The Elf Combat Medic, part Street Doc, part Bounty Hunter, all Badass, played by a longtime friend of the GM.
And 5: The Human Fire Elementalist, the sole magic user of the group, and therefore magical firepower, played by me.

Our campaign lasted the whole of our collective senior year in HS, plus a month of the summer before, and the whole summer after.

Much was done in that campaign, but a single run stood out in the minds of the GM and the Elf Combat Medic's player, who I've stayed in contact with over the years (my best friend, too, but he wasn't around when we were talking about this), and talked to when I was designing my Sorcerer for this current campaign.

Also note: within this story, certain things will have footnotes attached to them.  This is because these are small stories of their own, which are relevant but optional to the main overall story.

Anyway, run went like this.  We were supposed to go into one of the three main facilities set up by the Aneki Corporation1 in Seattle, get all the way up to the 40th floor (out of 60), have our Elf Decker hack into the Aneki computer network, grab the files we need, and get all the way up to the top floor for extraction by helicopter2, which garnered the Human F/I his moments of funny. 

During the Legwork portion of the sessions3, our Elves (the Bounty Hunter Doc was our backup) discovered that there was essentially no way for us to avoid tripping the alarm on this one.  Even if we played it perfect all the way up to grabbing the data, doing anything with that data would trigger the alarm4.  To make things worse, if the alarm was tripped, it locked all the elevators from moving anywhere within five floors of the 40th, where the data was kept.

The plan drawn up by the Decker, the Doc, and myself (acknowledged as the three brains in the group) was simple.  We would divide into three 'groups' for this part. 

Group 1 was the F/I.  His job was to get the team inside, help hijack the express elevator, and once Group 2 was at the 40th floor, send the express elevator to the bottom, and then sabotage as many of the other elevators as he could.  Once the alarm was tripped, he would descend to the 30th floor, join Group 3, and ride the express all the way to the top5 to clear out the roof for extraction.

Group 2 were the two Elves and the Dwarf.  They were the team that would go to the 40th floor, and grab the paydata.  Once Group 1 had the elevator, they would ride it to the 40th, sneak to the computer, grab the data, and run like hell to the roof.  For when they did the actual running, Doc was in front, Decker in the middle, Dwarf in back - to best protect the Decker and put the heavy guns at the rear, where pursuit would be coming.

Group 3 was me.  I would wait inside the building, near the express elevator, until the alarm went off.  When it did, I would jump into the express, and ride it to the 30th, pick up the F/I, and then ride it to the roof, where we would sabotage the express.  And by 'sabotage,' I mean 'blow it up with a Force 5 Powerbolt spell.'  Once that was done, I was to help clear out the roof for extraction.

It was highly risky, for three reasons. 

1: We'd never divided up the team like this before.

2: At the 40th floor, Group 2 was going to split - have the Dwarf cover the stairs, and have Doc and the Decker head for the core.  The Doc was a Bounty Hunter, but he was definitely second-stringer to the Dwarf in terms of combat ability.  Maybe even third6, compared to Dwarf and F/I.

3: Me.  I was the FNG when it came to Shadowrun, and up to now, I'd always had someone at my back when the actual run happened.  Plus, I was critical after the alarm was tripped.  If I didn't do my job prior to getting to the roof, the corp security goons could ride the express and set up a barricade for the Dwarf and the Elves who had to take the stairs.

Getting tired yet?  Too bad!  Still more story!   

Okay.  So, the team gears up, and heads for the location of the Aneki building in question.  We get there, and find out snag 1 that Johnson forgot to tell us: apparently a platoon of Aneki Dragoons (their equivalent of Ares Firewatch teams) had decided to hang out in the building for the night7, to check on security.

F/I manages to get in with a mid-level keycard that he lifted from an Aneki employee during the Legwork phase, and gets us in through the backdoor.  The four of them climb aboard the express, ride it to the 40th, and then send it back down to me, who's hiding in the bathroom about half the hallway down, and making wretching sounds like no tomorrow.

F/I splits off from the main group, and goes about the business of trying to find a way to sabotage the elevators so that the main strike team doesn't have to deal with huge groups of security goons rushing after them.  He manages to find a junction box, and after about half a dozen Electronics tests with his toolkit, determines that none of the wires in the box belong to the express elevator...so he cuts them all with a pair of wire cutters, and shuts off two of the non-express elevators (total of 5).  It's about at this point that the alarm went off, so he headed over to the expressed, knocked on the box, and came in through the top door.

The main strike force gets off at the 40th, and heads for the computer core.  All goes according to plan, and they reach the core without incident.  Decker jacks in to grab the data...cue Decker's moment of funny8.  The ICE guarding the data rolls disastrously - no successes, and half the pool are 1s.  Balance this against the decker, who rolls no ones, and gains successes on all but two dice, with three of those successes being 6s.  At first, GM just chalks it up to a bad roll, but when it happens again...he just says 'fuck it' and says the security system is temporarily offline due to being updated at this time.  Decker grabs the data, and he and Doc are already in sight of the Dwarf and the stairway before security comes back on and triggers the alarm.

Once the alarm goes off, I spring into action, and head for the express elevator.  I make a success on my Stealth test, and between everyone running everywhere, and the Dragoons being in non-official streetwear, no one stops me as I make my way to the elevator, and ride it up to 30th, where I'm joined by F/I.  We ride it to the top, and take out the pair of guards at the roof helipad with no problem, holding the chopper for our escape.

Down below, the Decker, Doc, & Dwarf run into a light security barricade set up by the three corporate goons on the floor, led by one of the Dragoons.  Cue the Dwarf blowing up the whole barricade, and incapping the four goons with a single IPE AP grenade from his shotgun's underbarrel grenade launcher, in his moment of awesome.  Group proceeds, no longer hindered, to the roof, where everyone climbs onboard and takes off to get outta here.

Enter snag number two that Johnson forgot to tell us about, stage left.  The Aneki chopper that's on patrol, an Ares Dragon (cargo copter), that's been modified with miniguns to act as a gunship9.

The Dwarf is busy flying, no one else has anything bigger than a handgun, and the chopper is slightly faster than our ride...meaning A: to escape, it has to go down, and B: it's all up to the Mage.  Cue another moment of awesome.  I channel my Powerbolt (the only spell I have that will work against this thing), I spend all my Karma for that session to get two more dice, I rip through the Force 4 Fire Elemental that I had summoned to help me learn new spells in one shot to aid my attack, and I spend half my Spell Pool dice.  A total of 18 dice being rolled against target number 7 (meaning that I have to roll at least one six to get there).  Cue five dice being sixes, and earning a total of 5 successes on the attack10.  The chopper rolls seven dice against a target number of five.  Nada.  No successes, and since I could choose the amount of damage, I oneshot the attack helicopter, sending it crashing into the top of the building by blowing up the rotor

Cue the F/I cracking a joke (related to his moments of funny), and the whole gang laughing as we escaped.

...but, wait a minute, you say.  That can't be the end, the Doc didn't get anything.

And I would tell you that you are right, grasshopper.  The story is not over.

We get back to the cars, and make our way back to the group safehouse.  Suspicious over the helicopter, we decide to do a little more digging before we go meet Johnson to hand over the data.  We find out that the chopper being in the area on that night is part of a regular pattern - something Johnson should have known.  Dwarf, F/I, and Decker go to the meeting while Doc and I follow up.

Turns out Johnson had never planned on us surviving - four of the Aneki Dragoons were actually another team of shadowrunners he hired to grab the data in the chaos.  He'd planned on us being the diversion, and biting it when the attack chopper showed up.  Now he has to pay us both, and he's not happy...cue appearance of two of the 'Dragoons.'  Cue Doc's moment of awesome and funny, in which he kicks in the door, quick-draws his heavy pistol, and does a headshot on the guy, Mal Reynolds-style. 

Face does his thing, and as the Johnson tries to escape, says that the guy who blew up the chopper is waiting outside...and he's not happy.  Cue Johnson handing over the money, having learned his lesson about trying to doublecross.

End of story.

Okay.  Onto footnotes!

1: Aneki was the recurring bad guy that we fought against throughout the campaign.  The name Aneki came up because at the time I joined, the Shadowrun SNES game was the only exposure I had to the world, and Aneki was the name of the evil corporation in it.  A long running gag over the course of the whole campaign ensued in which people made reference to the game, and/or my inexperience with it.

2: F/I's moments of funny was over the whole course of the adventure, in which he made as many Ahnold "Ged du da choppaaaa" jokes as he could, culminating in when I blew up the attack helicopter, and he said, in almost perfect Ahnold, "Dey ain't gonna ged du dat choppa."  The whole group laughed for a good minute or two after that.

3: While the run went pretty smoothly, we did an insane amount of Legwork to get prepped for this one, since the job description given by Johnson made it sound hard.  As a result, this whole adventure took two sessions to play.

4: Even just accessing the data would cause an alarm, which could only be turned off by the master security key.  The GM told us when the whole thing was over that he wanted to have us not be able to ghost through the whole thing, and actually have to deal with security and a running firefight.

5: The express elevator could be ridden all the way to the top because it only stopped at every 10th floor, and the restriction was only for elevators going near the 40th floor.  Again, the GM had wanted a way to get security personnel from the bottom to the top very quickly, so we'd have to fight them to make our escape.  He never planned on us using it ourselves, and then depriving everyone of it.

6: I was never included in that ranking, especially after that particular adventure, because I had magic, and everyone else was mundane.

7: Not Johnson's fault, actually.  He had no idea that the Dragoons were going to be heading to that building until shortly before the raid.  He had planned on the second team impersonating other Aneki security interests to get into the building, but when he found out about the Dragoons, he changed plans.

8: This could have been awesome, but it was considered funny because the GM's explanation of the security software being off while it updated itself caused laughs from the whole table.  Including the Decker.

9:  Was Johnson's fault.  For obvious reasons.

10:  What was more, I had 8 dice to roll on the Resist Drain test, with a target number of 3.  I managed to blow up a Chopper, and get no Drain doing it.

Callie Del Noire

I have a few SR and Cyberpunk stories too.

Shadowrun (1st/2nd edtion game) we had just finished making the crossover to 2nd editon and the two phys ads in the game were still crying at the loss of an 'equitable' balance. We went from being the fastest dudes in the room (and seeing a troll matching a elf street sam in reaction time is scary) to about middle of the pack. We (my brother played a Troll Phys Ad who like shotguns/BIG clubs/Car Axles, and I played a Elf Adept with a serious Samurai fixation. Swords and only a light pistol.)

The standing rule for the whole time had been you got 6's and kept rolling till they ran out. Ronin (my character) came in and faced down a bunch of gangers, the boss of whom was  a well armored thug we'd had a long standing beef with. He'd started off by being a client who stiffed us, then sold us out to the Universal Brotherhood, blown up the Troll's main hideout (he wasn't happy to see said troll come out and throw a small car at him), ratted us out when he could, would show up (or send) folks to make trouble.

Ronin looked around the room. No one was within reach (Over the campaign he'd killed like 30 members of the gang with a blade or his hands..as a result... they ALL used guns when they saw him..typically while running away.) He looks at the Gang boss, still covered in the blood of his girl friend that the hit team had gotten instead of him.

"You die. no matter what else happens in the next two minutes.. I promise." Whips out his light pistol and shots him (figured that he'd use his something like 8 dice to shoot him enough to spook him before introducing the room to his next action.. a flash bang.).

8 6s'.. followed by 8 more.. followed serveral more. There were three 40s, a 50 and a 70-something success on the roll when it was all said and done. Up to this point the multiple successes on the die roll had bitten us more than the bad guys. This was the first time we had to actually sit down and TALLY the successes on a target of like 5. The GM winced as it came up to what he called the 'Joo Woo-esque shot' Ronin made. Basically Ronin popped him in the left eye and between the armor of his helmet and implants the bullet rattled around and turned his brain to gruel. That was when the rest of the team made their move (they were outside.. 2 Magicians.. 1 shaman with a Level 5 greater Urban spirit and an Level 7 fire elemental courtesy of the combat biker mage) and the snipers (the other 4 guys who were the 'muscle' opened fire.

One round later there was literally three men standing. Ronin, the boss and his right hand man. Ronin lowered the gun, the boss flopped the ground and the 'new boss' looked around as four sets of laser sights settled on him.

The gang pretty much fell apart after that, as the Troll Adept made it a point that anyone claiming the name and/or colors would have 'accidents'.

Cyberpunk.

The group had been playing a vareity of characters for a long time. We had two philosophies in our approach to cybeware. The 'I could drown in a kiddie pool' and 'less is better'. The GMs were a round robin group of us. We'd swap off. The heavily cybered guys tended to lay low during the 'contact' phase (C-Swat showing up when you get angry over the suits screwing you tends to make them wary.)

We'd run into a conspiracy to kill one of the guys who had done us good over the campaign. He was a suit, we knew he looked on us as 'assets' but he'd never burned us and paid fair. The guy's rivals down the block weren't nice people and weren't 'discrete' in how they handled folks. (Dropping an assault team on the trauma clinic we were protecting the suit in to get him and his boss.. by way of hosing down the entire trauma ward. It was written off as a 'terrorist attack'.)

He, the good suit, let the 'less is better' guys in. That was me, the decker (who had discovered remotes and was 'looking around with a trio on the outside of the building) and the Fixer (who was in his best corp chic. My solo had her 'subtle but dangerous load out.' Heavy Pistol, a trio of pistol launched grenades and two clips of 'specialty rounds' in addition to three clips of normal ammo. The fixer had a taser, and a few 'goodies' and the decker was the remotes and his deck while the rest of the guys were two blocks away in a parking facility with his other remotes and the gear.

Basically the bad guy had decided to 'introduce' us to his 'pet' psycho. Our first encounter with a full conversion borg.  The damn thing JUMPED off an adjacent building and landed several floors below us as the building went into lock down. The decker couldn't get us a route down, the AV landing port was something like fifty floors up (stairs as no elevators in either building was working. I called the guys.. they couldn't get in, C-Swat had sealed off the building access. I told them to load up the drone and had the decker bring it in.

Then came the scariest 20 minutes of running and gunning my character had done. First encounter with the borg..she hit him with a Hi-Ex grenade and a full clip of her paint rounds.. then spent most of the rest of the fight hiding, using things against him like getting him to drop. The only reason she survived at all was her first Hi-ex mangled a leg and it couldn't run her down like a truck.

Second Hi-Ex was a lucky shot to the stairwell floor he was walking up. That bought me the time to lure him onto the sky way where the Fixer and Decker had been working hard the whole time. (And his remotes). The decker had brought in his remote  from the other team and gotten enough C-4 to wire the skyway (the other remotes were helpful in placing it) My solo kept the borg occupied. By the time they were ready, she was down to one Hi-Ex, two clips and all the specialty rounds were gone. She had been set on fire (losing her armored jacket), wounded so badly on the left arm that it looked like she was going to lose it. And had NO luck points left. (GM let us spend our Luck as points to modify things)

She managed to get the borg onto the skyway before taking a hit to the chest that put her out of the fight as she came out the other side. The borg stopped as the fixer stepped out and spoke.

"Sorry, employee's only." He said then blew the floor out from under the borg. It dropped 30 STORIES and LIVED. Till the second series of blasts dropped most of the skyway on it.

Of course by this time the other guys were busy tracking down the 'black hat' that sicced the damn thing on us (and our contact) and introduced him to the front end of a 'borrowed' AV-4 at full throttle. Took out his office, and the ones around it.

Oniya

I'm not sure if this is badassery or not - possibly asshattery on the part of the GM, but an amusing tale nonetheless.

This involves one of our other GMs, who had a tendency of running dungeons that seemed to be created using all of the random tables that TSR ever put out.  No sense of dungeon ecology, fire elementals one room over from remorhazes - typically a mess.  Still, it was usually a source of much humor as we actively tried to mess with the GM's head.  (This was the dungeon where we adopted a pet piercer and named it Spike.)  Mr. Oniya had entered the dungeon late - I forget if he'd had to work late, or if he'd had a character death that required a new one to be rolled up.  He finished the character and announced that he would be found 'in the next room, leaning against the wall'. 

The GM gave him a strained smile, and as we turned the corner, we found a roughly halfling-sized mass of greenish ooze, slowly enveloping the remains of a pipe.  Turns out that the GM had predetermined the monster for that room to be green slime.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ironwolf85

that was kinda mean actually... but interisting had a DM like that once

Silverfyre

As I have been table topping for damned near two decades, I have a lot of stories to share but I'll just tell the first one that comes to mind.

The party was in a perfectly smooth tunnel.  It had been cut through the stone by some sort of acid spraying tunneling monster long ago and painted bright white with red by the evil clerics that now lived inside the fortress this tunnel was part of.  The party was fleeing the fortress after destroying much of the temple that lay within but they heard some of the cultists coming from the front of the tunnel, returning from some hunting.  The DM specifically told us that there was nowhere to really hide, being a perfectly smoothed tunnel, but the Barbarian, who was named after his player, declared he was going to hide anyways and ambush them.  Of course, he rolled a natural 20 and ends up hiding by sliding up against the wall and pretending to be some sort of wall carving.

Callie Del Noire

Damn.. did he hold a branch in front of himself and say 'Move along citizens, I am merely a bush!'

TheGlyphstone

Sneaky stories are great.

System is D&D3.5 - party consists of a Dwarf, a halfling, a gnome, a short human, and myself, a Goliath. For the uninitated, Goliaths are a mountain-dwelling humanoid race that are almost half-giants - the shortest of them is 7 feet tall, mine was 7'6".

We were currently under contract to an unscrupulous merchant baron, hired to destabilize one of his rivals by sneaking into the rival's private shipping/docking compound and causing havoc. We decide to start by coring one of his boats, but halfway down the crate-strewn dock, we encounter a sudden and unexpected patrol of night security coming the other way. Cue Hide checks from the entire party. Two natural 1's from the gnome and halfling, a 5 from the dwarf, and a 2 from the human. I roll a 17. It is immediately concluded that while the rest of the party stood frozen like deer in headlights, my hulking brute grabbed the nearest and biggest crate (which was empty), punched out the bottom, and pulled a Solid Snake.

Ironwolf85

I got few others this time from playing GURPS.
you have to remember in GURPS the characters are MUCH more falible, and any approach is equally valid.
Practice Match: (fake tourniment to help us learn the system)
Brother Magnus VS Kikki
Magnus was my first earnest attempt at a GURPS warrior, a large warrior in platemail with a mace and shield, he also had the skills to back them up, being a master of the mace, imagine a seven foot tall powerful knight, only his eyes and head visible over his neck guard.
Kikki was a martial artist, though smaller and faster she was built with the same point value as magnus, many of her points going into acrobatics, dodge, and cool kung fu moves. with the exception of this specialization and high skills, she was near baseline human, with a few extra points of intelligence to get her skills up.
Round 1:
Magnus swings kikki dodges, kikki attempts a flip kick, and is blocked by magnus's shield
Round 2:
Magnus swings kikki dodges, kikki uses stunning fist, it bounces off his armor she hurts her hand
Round three:
Magnus swings kikki dodges, kikki kicks him between the legs he remembered to buy a cup she hurts her foot.
Round four:
Magnus fents kikki dodges... kikki "wait, What?" jumps back,
Magnus runs up, spends a fatuge point and swings, kikki's defence is lowered by his fent, he connects, kikki attemtps to deflect the blow with her kung-fu deflection skill, and is unable to beat him...
BAM... kikki's arm is crushed beyond repair and she loses 7 of her 10 hp, fails HT roll, passes out.
Magnus wins... Brutality!
it swould have been more badass but their barbarian NPC in the prior round who couldn't harm magnus kept rolling crit-successes, he earned the name "Twinkle toes" befored the two ran out of time.

and of course in the actual game Magnus pummeled an ungodly horror from another demention to death with his mace, was crippled, and later was caught up in a ravenloft conspericy that got him killed.

Phantasmatical

My first Dark Heresy game, I decided I wanted to jump in with both feet and play a psyker. I went with the biomancer specialty for the fun of it. As the GM was walking me through character creation, I rolled for stats, rolled for destiny (or whatever that table with quotes and nifty little bonuses is), etc etc. All told, I ended up getting close to 70 in my willpower score. After finishing up purchasing everything (including making my character, Havelock, mind-cleansed) my willpower score was 76 - 150% higher than the next lowest score in the entire party.

Havelock was paired with Comrade Commissar Benedictus, who was the only one who knew the phrase that had been programmed into him to make him kill himself. Benedictus decided to give Havelock his freedom more or less, and let him do what he wanted to when the group wasn't busy. So, Havelock ended up essentially developing new powers other than those listed in the book.

Of course, this research involved quite a lot of rolling to avoid psychic phenomenon. I passed all of them just fine - except one, right as the rest of the group was returning from their respective side-missions. This one summoned a high-powered horror, which immediately attacked. Completely alone, Havelock stood his own against it for four rounds, hurling bio-lightning while regenerating the damage it was doing to his measly 13 hit points (no armor). Commissar Benedictus, thinking Havelock had become a daemonhost, charges upstairs with chain-sword drawn, cuts down the door, and sees Havelock battling the horror. He arrives just in time for the horror to roll almost max damage, using its flame to burn the psyker almost beyond recognition, then pick him up and hurl him out the window. Havelock's broken body landed on the flat roof not far outside. But thanks to burning a fate point, he stayed alive.

Benedictus was then fighting the horror alone. None of the others wanted to intervene because they didn't trust Havelock at all, and were going to just let the folks from the nearby Imp Guard garrison come in and blow him to bits. So Benedictus is fighting a Warp Horror with nothing but a chain-sword and his faith in the Emperor - when Havelock rises up beyond the horror, floating in midair, suspended by the sheer amount of psychic force he's generating. He spent all but one of his points of Constitution to turn it all into extra dice for pure psychic power. Using all this, he opens a portal into the Warp and hauls the Horror into it, sealing the portal behind it. At that point, he collapses. He burns his second and last fate point to transfer his consciousness into the body of a rat that had been inhabiting the building, and lived on Commissar Benedictus' shoulder for several months, preventing the severely-depressed Commissar from recklessly getting himself killed every time he ran into combat.

Later on, he figured out how to switch bodies, although it killed the body he left behind when he did this. He eventually determined that if he really wanted to, he could possess someone and use them as a vessel for raw warp energy, using their constitution to pull warp energies forward instead of using his own - though every time he did this it lowered his willpower due to the sheer strain of it. He also had to switch bodies regularly, or else the body he was inhabiting would die from the stress of being possessed for so long. It died anyway of course, but if he was in the body when it died he would die as well. We eventually also determined that it was, in fact, possible for him to possess a space marine. Needless to say, when the epic tier book came out, Havelock became quite the powerhouse.

That's probably the most epic character I've ever played, just in terms of sheer power. One GM wouldn't let me play him in a campaign because he said that the Emperor would have had his brain harvested and pulled the knowledge of the body-switching process out of it for His own use. Since then, every time someone from that original group runs a one-shot or mini-campaign, we hear stories about this incredibly powerful psyker and the Commissar he still defers to.