News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Interest Check, AD&D 2nd Ed.

Started by Blinkin, February 18, 2015, 08:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

I would like at least 4, but will go with as many as 6.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Miroque

So after Schnookums, we are semi-good to go...? For long time, "I have good feeling about this" (said no JEDI EVER!)

Blinkin

Yes, although I want to give the other two a chance to submit something, if they are interested. I'll put a cut-off for Saturday morning. After that, we'll move on to the AD&D characters.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Muse

Name: Jacey Talia “J.T.” Kirk

Sexual Orientation: Bisexual

Major/Minor: Creative Writing/Humanities

Distinguishing Features/Marks: Waves of silky golden brown hair, kiss me lips, sweet brown eyes, and a hard but curvy body make J.T. look  more like a cosplay model than a normal gamer when she goes out of her way to look sharp.  She was once mistaken for one at a con, and has been blushing about it ever since. 

Background and personality: J.T.’s parents were divorced--messily--while she was still in the womb, but she was raised by her father David from the age of 3.  David suffered from bouts of depression but he was serious about staying medicated.  He was gentle hearted and responsible and loved his daughter very much.  Having a child to care for proved to be very good for him and he cared for her as best as he could. 
   Having a dependent upped David’s welfare check.  He supplemented that meager income by writing and self-publishing pen and paper role playing games and fantasy novels.  As J.T. grew more self reliant, they took martial arts together.  As badly as he struggled to make it otherwise, J.T. took as much care of David as he took of her, but he still gave J.T. a pleasant childhood environment.  J.T. got along very well with her father--most of the time.  His keen interest in her life gave her a personal tutor to help with her studies and someone to take martial arts with.  She joined his table top RPG group when she was old enough, and they vegged out with video games together. 
   When J.T. found herself chafing under the constant attention from an authority figure, she would take her skateboard and her cellular phone down to the park.  Most of her friends her own age were skaters.  (A few stoners included.  She didn't smoke, but she didn't rat them out either, so they got along.)  Her father’s smothering did affect her relationships with boys--and girls--quite a bit though.  So far she’s not had more than a few kisses with the boys who've interested her.  Until recently she had a girlfriend and innocently explored a bit further with her. 
   J.T. has now graduated and been accepted into Cal Tech.  Concern for leaving her father alone has made her decide to delay college a year.  She worked hard this summer as a cashier at Gamestop--a pretty face and bright smile can do a lot to get you a hotly contested job. 
Noteworthy Skills: Academically rounded, bilingual (English and Spanish), martial arts, skater. 

Things J.T. Likes to do. 
   Cooking: Growing up J.T. Had to cook anything more complicated than a sandwich most days.  She got very good at it, though she's been dubious about this aptitude since she discovered she inherited it from her mother. 
   Creative writing: J.T. began with fan fiction and character histories, and started working on original stories at 13. 
   Critical Thinking and Philosophy: When J.T. reads  a story or watches a movies, she immerses herself in it, but afterward likes to talk about it in fashions her English professors approve of.  Her ideals occasionally motivate her to speak out on politics or become involved in philanthropy.  She's starting to become jaded about politics, but still keeps informed and votes. 
   Dogs
   Martial Arts
   Prime time anime
   Skateboarding: Her favorite hobby and the number one thing she does when she's not doing stuff with her dad. 
   Spending time with her father.  (They have a lot in common.) 
   Video Games

Fears, phobias, and things disliked.
   Though she has little awareness of the woman, J.T. is vaguely resentful of her mother.  She's inclined to say that she's not happy with how Shana treated her father, but deep inside she knows that David is over her and it's really about her own insecurities. 
   J. T. has an allergy to poultry. 
   J. T. fears junebugs and cicadas.  Curiously, bugs that can actually hurt her don't bother her once she's identified them.  She doesn't remember the source of this phobia. 
   If J.T.'s nightmares are to be believed, her two biggest fears are public nudity and tooth loss. 

Will be playing:
   Aileeana Kennelwise, Silverstar of Selune. 
   Aileeana's father—Tamsen--was Master of the Hounds for Count Raoden Elan.  When Aileeana left to join the priesthood, her father gave her a puppy, whom is now a grown and well trained war dog and among her fastest friends, “My magnificent hound, Thadius Tate.” 
   Aileeana spent three years—from age 14 to 17—studying in a remote monastery as a Silvertar of Selune.  Since then, she and Thadius Tate have traveled the world, opposing the forces of darkness and despair and protecting those who work honestly at night.  Aileeana fights with a Moon's Hand Mace, a targe, and a sling, along with the magic that Selune grants her.  She focused somewhat on her martial training early on.  (If the game allows, she may have dual classed form 2-3 levels of fighter into Silverstar.) 

What, out side of self-defense, might push the character to take a life?
   Having studied martial arts from a young age, J.T. takes violence very seriously.  She knows  how fragile a human being can be, how to harm and how to subdue.  JT has had a few occasions too hold a bully or outraged classmate on the ground with in an arm lock 'til the school authorities arrived to take things in hand—both in her own defense and that of others. 
   As a gamer, J.T. has given thought to what is worth fighting for.  She has read Freud's social philosophies and agrees with the general principle that in the jungle life is brutal, ugly and quick.  In order to gain the benefits of civilized society, certain inclinations—such as vigilante justice and revenge—must be sacrificed. 
   That doesn't change the fact that she doesn't like to see innocents suffer.  In the schoolyard, J.T. Fought with her fists and her skills to put and end to petty cruelty.  In the jungle, she may well find that she's more than willing to fight with her sword to protect against the same. 

How does the character deal with stress and/or anxiety?
   J.T.'s best way of dealing with a bad day is to go for a long skate.  She finds comfort in the sound of concrete beneath her wheels.   She finds clarity—and a vent for pent up adrenaline—in lip tricks, slides, and grinds. 
   After a while of this, she likes to snuggle up in bed with a few plushies and a good fantasy novel. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skateboarding_trick

Does the character have a religious belief system? How strong/weak is that faith?
   J. T. is spiritually inclusive and nominally Episcopalian.  While going to church as a child didn't do much for her—God is on the night wind and in the human imagination, not in hymns and prayers—she had found attending the Episcopal student ministry to be an enlightening and spiritual experience.  She gets to socialize with intelligent and creative people, sci fi, philosophy, religion, and football.  She finds it both academically uplifting and a way to make God's presence felt in her own life. 
   J. T. is especially appreciative of the Book of Common Prayer for New Zeland. 

How deeply has the character gotten into the personality/life of their RPG character?
   Being a pen and paper gamer first and foremost, she’s put a lot of thought into her character.  She has several pictures of her character, some done by her father, others commissioned from professional and semi-professional artists. 

Is there anything that the character places particular importance in? (This can be an object, a code, a  interest, etc.)
   J.T's most precious belongings include an autographed copy of the RPG books her father wrote: High Valor and Hearts and Souls.  She also has an old shirt of his she sleeps in, and a raggedy old plush dog. 
   Other precious possessions include her back belt and the skateboard she bought for herself after high school by working at Game Stop, and a 2nd place trophy from a skating exhibition. 
   J.T. Loves dogs, especially big dogs. 

Name one thing that the character will not abide. 
   Bullies, book burning, and prejudice. 

Name one thing that the character fears beyond all others.
   Long term loss of her physical or mental facilities. (AKA, becoming paralyzed or brain damaged.) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Miroque

@Muse: Hope you roll high enough for Dual-classing. Its not an simple feat in 2ed..

Muse

*nods and smiles* 

I'm quite aware of that.  :)  I hope I can manage it, but it would require 15= strength, 17+ constitution and wisdom.  So I don't really expect to pull it off.  ^_^;; 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Green Goo Theory

Heeyyyy...  Could I get some help with ideas?  I'm coming up short.  I chose the bard because of its thematically opposite of the college student persona and would force them to step out.  Its kind of their schtick unless it is a stealth built bard.  Any ideas on how to keep the theme and maybe reduce spellcasting?  I am unsure on race yet so multiclassing and dualclassing suggestions are accepted. 
Coming soon...

Miroque

Bard Kit: Blade (nonspellcaster) more of an silent assassin type. If memory serves.

Muse

Blades cast spells, same as every other bard.  They tend to use Invisiblity, Knock, and sound bubble to make up for the lack fo open locks, move silently, and hide in shadows. 

They're knife jugglers and sword swallowers and sword dancers.  :)  They also are known for being assassins--either as 'blades for hire', or more vigilante justice.  But they can be just performers/adventurers.   

Their special bad abilities include 2 weapon fighting, blind fighting, and using dramatic weapon displays to intimidate or boost morale.   

Green Goo Theory

Now that you're getting into it I think I've already played a Blade before.  I remember it was a pretty well balanced character and let me keep up very well; even when I was several levels behind the party.  I don't remember exactly how or if the other players were just weaker.  But I had fun. 
Coming soon...

Blinkin

Well... it's Saturday evening and the cut-off is in effect.

The good news, nothing that I would object to in any serious way....

The bad news, only 3 college students. As things are planned, I'm not sure that 3 is enough to do this with. What I've seen is a drow bladesinger, a cleric and a bard. Did I miss something?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

yesiroleplay

Muse pointed me this way.  I'm thinking about what to play.

Also, this concept reminds me a lot of a book I read back in the 80's - "The Sleeping Dragon", which was part of the "Guardians of the Flame" series.

Blinkin

The story has some basis in Rosenberg's series, but only as the nugget of the story concept. Very different things will be happening and any resemblance beyond the basic concept is purely accidental. I've read the books as well. Loved Walter's Laws. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

schnookums

I'm so sorry...between celebrating my 40th birthday and getting a second interview for a job I've really wanted, Real Life has kept me completely swamped. If you'll allow me, I'll do an application tonight. (I understand that I am late though and wouldn't take offense if you said no)

Blinkin

I'm a big softy as I just celebrated my 47th birthday and it was... well, it was my  47th birthday so I can't say much about it beyond my annual birthday blues seems to finally be over... so let me have it when you get it. I'll extend the offer to anyone else who still wants in, but we'll not be waiting much longer on this phase.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Chulanowa

If you guys are still pinched for characters, I could try to come up with something... but it's been about 20 years since I played 2nd edition (oh god it's been 20 years since I played 2nd edition!) but... I think that's a weighty if... and... I'd uhm, need a systems refresher.  :-[

Blinkin

Considering that it's been nearly 20 years since the release of 3.0.... I don't think too many of us actually went back to 2nd ed.... I never really went on to 3.0 and didn't play 3.5 until around 2005 or so and had a bad experience with it so didn't touch it again until I came to E.

So...
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

I'm happy to offer help with the system to anyone who asks.   :)

Chulanowa

I have found... resources  ;D

But goddamn the old books were ugly. I've seen prettier manuals for korean juicers.

Also, I notice our group so far is missing one vital component found in every college group, and every AD&D table. The 20th-level Stoner.  ;D

Green Goo Theory

Am I the youngest player here...?  I feel like a kid around you all so far sitting at 27 years old
Coming soon...

Chulanowa

Shoulda seen my freakout when I realized that Magic; the Gathering is older than most of the people I work with  :o

Blinkin

Egads! I have dice older than you kiddo! ;)

Sad, but true. I bought my first set of dice, a nicely marbled blue-white way, way, way back in 1986... I still have them someplace, along with my Possibility Shard D20; the luckiest die I've ever had! Ah, another great game killed before it had a chance... *sighs*
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Green Goo Theory

Yeah...I'm used to it, honestly.  Maybe not the youngest but definitely having much older guys hanging around for gaming.  Oh well. 
Coming soon...

KirbysFolly

I spotted this game a few days ago, and I am interested, but I hadn't applied for a couple reasons.

First, I'm not familiar with AD&D. I could get the books and take a look, but I'm definitely not an expert.

Second, I'm moving (sometime this week, it looks like, probably in a couple days) and I don't know how long it might take to get the internet set up at my new place. So I may end up stuck with just my phone, or taking the laptop with me to classes and using the school wifi on campus. If that happens, it probably won't be for more than a week though, since I wasn't planning on getting Comcast. :P

If those concerns aren't likely to cause a problem, and it's not too late, I can try and get a student submitted, probably sometime tomorrow.

schnookums

Name:
Samuel Kassman

Sexual Orientation:
Heterosexual

Major/Minor:
Engineering

Distinguishing Features/Marks:
With black hair and blue eyes, Sam presents a fairly handsome image by most modern standards. He's a fairly large guy compared to your average college student. Well built, he clearly works out to keep in shape, although his circumstances have lead to a severe change in that routine. Sam is currently wheelchair-bound, with an injury having left him paralyzed from the waist down. He's been in the chair long enough to have grown adept in getting around in it.

Background:
Sam would have been the least likely person to find himself playing a fantasy role-playing game 3 years ago. Even if he had been inclined to do so he wouldn't have had the time, with both his studies....and football. Sam was an up and coming football star for the school and all that entailed. He might have not been the stereotypical jock, but he didn't exactly have much interest in 'nerd' stuff. Tragically he was severely injured during his first year of school, breaking his back and leaving him paralyzed from the waist down. This was a pretty crushing thing, especially for someone who enjoyed both the game as well as the fame that had come from it. Sam ended up in a pretty bad place after that...he had started to focus on his studies, to "prove" that he could still do something with his life, but he was secretly convinced he was worthless now. He sunk into a pretty bad depression and became basically a shut-in, only doing the basics like class and the like. His old friends had drifted away by this point, and he probably would have been stuck like this if someone from the game hadn't have reached out to him. Just little things, small acts of kindness to try and bring Sam out of his shell at first. Maybe it was just the right timing, but Sam responded to this, allowing himself to thaw a little bit. Even then he was uncertain when the invite to the game came, but Sam found himself not wanting to give up this new friendship, so he reluctantly agreed. His character idea was actually him being obnoxious at first ("Oh, if I'm going to play this game, I'm playing a GIRL! How about that!") but he ended up finding himself enjoying the game a lot more than he would have expected.  He still is a bit behind everyone on rules and the like, but he plays the game seriously enough and remembers what he has been taught already.

Personality:
Sam is...better these days. He had been very bitter about his injury for a while, and had become nearly a recluse before one of his friends basically dragged him out of that. He can still sometimes be less than fun to be around when he gets depressed or moody., but he generally is pleasant if a little awkward. Before the accident he had been a bit of a macho jerk, but that facade went away afterwards. He also lost a lot of confidence in the bargain.

Noteworthy Skills:
Prior to the accident Sam had been a fantastic football player, likely to be a pro-caliber player. Now that he's actually started doing it it turns out he's a fantastic researcher as well, with a very good memory for things.

Likes/Hobbies:
Sam still follows sports quite a bit, having a nearly encyclopaedic  knowledge of them, although his interest is a bit love/hate now that he can't play. He's found himself reading a lot more, pretty much accepting whatever his friends suggest since his lack of reading

Fears, phobias, and things disliked.
Loss of autonomy is a big fear for Sam. He strongly dislikes being patronized, especially since he feels he gets it from both ends (Being seen as physically AND mentally lacking). He's also a bit claustrophobic as well.

Will be playing:
Sam will be playing a human female druid. Originally conceived as a joke (basically a D&D hippy) as Sam started taking things more seriously so did the character evolve into something serious, with Sam actually researching historical druids to try and play the character more realistically.

What, out side of self-defense, might push the character to take a life?
Sam might take a life to protect friends or family, but even then he would probably hesitate first. He would be far more likely to throw himself in front of a bullet then be the one pulling the trigger though.

How does the character deal with stress and/or anxiety?
Poorly. In general though Sam does physical stuff to deal with stress, especially lifting weights (which is a bit dangerous since he often will do it without bringing a partner for safety.

Does the character have a religious belief system? How strong/weak is that faith?
Sam was raised baptist and before the injury was fairly observant. These days he barely acknowledges religious observations, although he wouldn't go so far as to call himself an atheist.

How deeply has the character gotten into the personality/life of their RPG character?
Quite deeply at this point in the game. Sam tries to add what he's researched to his character, like the details of rituals the druids used, the language and symbols and what they all meant.

Is there anything that the character places particular importance in? (This can be an object, a code, a  interest, etc.)
Being self reliant. Sam does everything in his power to need help as little as possible 

Name one thing that the character will not abide.
Those who take advantage of others weaknesses

Name one thing that the character fears beyond all others.
Being a prisoner in his own body