[Interest Check] Plot-based RP (Anyone? Please?)

Started by Sarasham, June 20, 2011, 11:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasham

So I want to do a type of roleplay that I haven’t seen here on Elliquy before.
I want to do a roleplay that’s based on plot; one where boot-knocking is wholly secondary to character development and plot pacing. There could be sex, but there could also be gore and other "adult" concepts, all of which center on a plot.
I have never seen this kind of roleplay before, but my partner and I were hoping to get this off the ground here.
We have a general plot outline, it involves demons, secret organizations, fighting those demons and being a mythical badass in a modern world.
The setting would be an AU earth, similar everything to the real world, only y’know, demons.
I know this is light on details, but I’m mostly looking to see if there are people who are interested in an adult plot-based RP.

TheHangedOne

Their's quite a few plot based rps, you know, though the mix is like 70-30, with these taking the lower number.  :-) I am interested. What few details you've given have definitely caught my interest.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Sarasham

I have no doubt they exist, I've just sadly never seen them before. ^__^

TheHangedOne

;D They are rare gems, and sadly, they tend to fizzle out rather quickly.  I'm hoping this (Whatever it ends up being) will fare better.
Check out my poet tree!

Wolf Heart

I'm not normally interested in demons... but I must say, the notion of mythical badassery and plot has sparked my curiosity.

who149

I'd be intrested in this. I will admit that I did join in for the sex stuff, but I got bored of that aspect. Anyway, Funny thing is that regardless of how sexual my games were supposed to be, All of them have been mostly sex free.

I think It should be an option rather then a story point. Anyway I would love to do this.
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

Sarasham

Alright, looks like we've got some interest, which makes me endlessly happy.  ;D
I'm gonna give a bit more information, though the plot is still in a bit of a working phase. Names and exact details are subject to change. We have a solid starting point and some places we'd like to get to, but things are still flexible.
So, demons are called Rakshasa, because that word is awesome.
There are two groups who hunt demons, Tilean and Disciples. Tilean are ancient people who hunt the demons and gain strength from their blood. Tilean live in sequestered communities, called Families and are distrustful of outsiders. Tileans once possessed many strong powers, which they used to hunt demons. These days however, the Tilean's powers are lesser, weakened for unknown reasons.
The Disciples are more like the Tilean than they'd like to admit, they follow the doctrine of the Vatican and do not feed on the blood of demons. Their powers too, are waning.
There are some humans who can see demons, though they lack the powers to fight them.

who149

Hm. Sounds interesting. What about the Disciples?
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

Seer

Quote from: who149 on June 21, 2011, 01:46:53 AM
What about the Disciples?
What about them?

Also, Seer has arrived Sham. He even brought his disgustingly low post count with him.

Sarasham

Quote from: Seer on June 21, 2011, 01:57:10 AM
What about them?

Also, Seer has arrived Sham. He even brought his disgustingly low post count with him.
"Sham"? I hate you a bit. Also, like my post-count is much better.

The Disciples are basically the rival group to the Tilean. They follow Vatican orders and live lives similar to priests.

Seer

Quote from: Sarasham on June 21, 2011, 02:01:11 AM
The Disciples are basically the rival group to the Tilean. They follow Vatican orders and live lives similar to priests.

That's a bit of an understatement. You forget the part where they'll kidnap any Tilean they run across so they can brainwash them into working for the Disciples? Or the part where if that fails they kill them?

Question Mark

One of my most oft-quoted phrases on this site is, "Plot dictates sex.  Sex should never dictate the plot."  In other words, I stay at E for the stories and the writing.  And hey, if there are some fun times along the way, all the better.

So ya, I'm in, and I'm totally a Tilean.

Seer

Sham, I love how you totally neglect to mention that I'm your partner in crime. Anyways I guess I'll give you guys the basic plotline that has been worked on for the two factions.

The Tilean are going to be involved in trying to stop an organization within their own people who are trying to make it so that rakshasa appear more often.

The Disciples will be dealing with corruption within their own ranks while also trying to stop this group from enabling the rakshasa.

And yes, there is a reason behind this third groups activities and no it's not because herpderp evul.

Sarasham

I kinda figured they'd know by the fact that you called me by the shittiest nickname possible.

Anyhow, this is awesome. We're getting a lot of interest, and a lot of dudes. I am okay with this, but if you boys have any ladies who might be interested, feel free to call them up here. Seer isn't used to being one of many dudes.

So, as for opening scene, we're going to be in Vegas, where a serial killer arsonist is being unsuccessfully hunted down. The Tilean community (mostly online) suspects a rakshasa possesing a human is the cause. Some Tilean and Disciples are gathering in and around the city to investigate. *Cue a song by The Who*

I'm out for the night, back tomorrow. ^__^

Question Mark

Oooh, I'm liking the intrigue and subplots.

For the record, I knew you were the co-GM from the get-go Seer.  The way you and Sham bandied was too amiable and indicated prior acquaintance.

Some questions now.
- I'm assuming that these rakshasa are unknown to the world at large, the Tileans and the Disciples covering their existence up?  Or are the rakshasa common knowledge?
- Can rakshasa manifest themselves physically, or are they only able to act through people?
- Tilean communities: are they isolated, self-sufficient communities living in small groups?  Or are they more along the lines of "*insert city name here* Group," with the Tileans scattered amongst the larger population, staying connected via internet, phone, etc.?
- Is this modern day, or "10 minutes into the future" kind of deal?
- How the hell do you fight a rakshasa?

TheHangedOne

Interested in playing as a Tilean as well. Eagerly looking forward to the answers to QM's questions.
Check out my poet tree!

Wolf Heart

Oooh, the tilean seem so popular... Feeling a bit conflicted about them, though... That blood consumption thing, ya know? And the disciples seem a bit too... mundane for my tastes. Still, perhaps a little Renegade, bad-copish badassery will liven them up. >3 Regardless, count me among the Disciples, if you will.

Anyway, my questions are a bit more geared towards technical aspects... such as how the Disciples and Tileans combat the demons, why their powers are distinct from the general populous, and, on a lesser note, whether or not the groups always refer to demons as Rakshasa (Raksha for singular? or Rakshasas for plural? Personally prefer the former, if that matters.)

E: Oops, noticed Question Mark already asked that one... How ironic. ^_^;

kitty cat

Seer

Yay questions.

- I'm assuming that these rakshasa are unknown to the world at large, the Tileans and the Disciples covering their existence up?  Or are the rakshasa common knowledge?
>Rakshasa by their very nature cause technology to stop working. So cameras stop working, tapes show nothing but static. Certain precautions have to be done in order to keep things working around them and even that's not a guarantee. So between them being next to impossible to capture on video/audio and the Tilean/Disciples being pretty good at their jobs the population at large are completely unaware of their existence.

- Can rakshasa manifest themselves physically, or are they only able to act through people?
>Yes they can come through but it's difficult and leaves them weak until they find some delicious man-flesh. You're more likely to run into a possessed human

- Tilean communities: are they isolated, self-sufficient communities living in small groups?  Or are they more along the lines of "*insert city name here* Group," with the Tileans scattered amongst the larger population, staying connected via internet, phone, etc.?
>There's a handful of completely isolated communities throughout the world but most of the Tilean live amongst the regular humans of the world, working day jobs and being normal people. They are human after all, they just have this natural ability to go out and kill these creatures that would put their fellow man in danger. I'll give more details on the Tilean Families in another post.

- Is this modern day, or "10 minutes into the future" kind of deal?
>Slightly Alternate Earth with some reasonable bending of current technological limitations (because, guys, we can PRINT ORGANS) there are no flying cars or teleporters. http://www.ted.com/talks/anthony_atala_printing_a_human_kidney.html

- How the hell do you fight a rakshasa?
> Tilean are humans who have the natural ability to absorb energy from dead rakshasa and use that against others they come across. Melee weapons are popular because the constant contact with the object allows the Tilean to keep the energy from dissipating. Firearms are also used although in that case each individual bullet must be imbued with the correct amount of energy and the process will have to eventually be done again since, like I mentioned earlier, the energy does dissipates. The material of the weapon also matters. A Tilean could conceivably attack a rakshasa with a piece of paper but it wont be as effective as, say, a metal baseball bat. Actually, it would probably be suicide to attack a rakshasa with a piece of paper. Don't do that.  Outside of using the stolen energies each individual Tilean also has an ability of their own. My Tilean has touch based telekinesis while Sham's is an empath. More details on the powers in another post.

>>teelder; you stab it until it stops moving

-...why their powers are distinct from the general populous, and, on a lesser note, whether or not the groups always refer to demons as Rakshasa
>The exact how and why of Tilean powers are lost to the ages. There are legends involving ancient communions with demons/gods, some claiming that Tilean powers are part of a natural balance required to keep the world turning. Generally the groups will call them by the name Rakshasa (Raksha is an acceptable derivation, though both words are like sheep). Other Families may have other names but most will call them rakshasa.

-I would be intrested in playing a woman who fights alone.  Her father trained her though she don't know who trained him.  He was killed sometime ago, and she doesn't know if anyone else is taking up the fight.
>Picking sides isn’t that important to the plot. It’s less of a them-against-us scenario. Your story sounds an awful lot like many last-of-the-line Tilean, but if her father was a Disciple that’s acceptable too. Disciples are primarily defined through their association with the Vatican and the surrounding organization, so it’s more likely she would be a Tilean.

-Could I be a rakshasa?
>>At this point in time we are not accepting rakshasa/half-rakshasa/etc. Later on in the plot, depending on the choices the RPers make, things could be different. Ser doesn't do linear plots, there are points where choices will be made that will change how it goes. Like a tree.

Answered provided by both Sham and I. She just doesn't feel like logging in to post.

kitty cat

Seer

Oh, and Tilean don't consume the blood. More of a sticking their fingers in the blood and draining the remaining energy from the rakshasa.

Wolf Heart

Heh, suppose that's a little better, but not by much. Ah, well, to each his own... I'll continue to stick with the Disciples at the present, regardless.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Seer on June 21, 2011, 06:38:29 PM
Oh, and Tilean don't consume the blood. More of a sticking their fingers in the blood and draining the remaining energy from the rakshasa.
:'( So I can't rip out a Rakshasa's heart and devour it to absorb its strength?

Just kiddin'. Loving this idea still.  :-)
Check out my poet tree!

Sarasham

Quote from: TheHangedMan on June 21, 2011, 08:09:11 PM
:'( So I can't rip out a Rakshasa's heart and devour it to absorb its strength?

Just kiddin'. Loving this idea still.  :-)
You COULD, you just might get some funny looks. Violence of that magnitude is actualy fairly standard for Tilean and Disciples, though eating rakshasa parts might be a little weird for some.

Sarasham

Okay guys, letting you know that Seer and I are NOT dead. We're both crazy busy with work right now, but we should be setting up the full-on RP tomorrow. Let us know now if you have any other questions, otherwise we'll just answer them as we go.
See you all tomorrow!