The Hunger Games - Recruitment(System)

Started by undisclosedtoyou, February 29, 2012, 02:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alysanthia

*Cracks up laughing.*

I love that dance, oh and the Carlton everyone loves to do the Carlton dance. 8D

KnowThySire

I find it funny that when my friend goes, "I can't wait to see the Hunger Games!" I find this thread. Is there still room for another?
There can only be one king.

Alysanthia

Yes! There is still room. :D

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on March 15, 2012, 01:12:57 PM
So these are the tribute positions still open:

District 1 - 1 Male Tribute spot open.
District 2 - 1 Male Tribute spot Open.
District 3 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 4 - No Tribute spots open.
District 5 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 6 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 7 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 8 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 9 - 1 Male, and 1 Female Tribute spots open.
District 10 - 1 Male Tribute spots open.
District 11 -  No Tribute spots open.
District 12 - 1 Female Tribute spots open.  The Male spot is tentatively taken.

KnowThySire

Woo! Unfortunately, I hated books growing up (The irony is amazing considering the fact that writing is my favorite hobby now.) so I never actually read the Hunger Games, but I'm going to go on a massive research spree while doing my character creation so that I'll be able to understand everything by the time the game starts.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: TheRomanticPerv on March 15, 2012, 07:28:39 PM
Woo! Unfortunately, I hated books growing up (The irony is amazing considering the fact that writing is my favorite hobby now.) so I never actually read the Hunger Games, but I'm going to go on a massive research spree while doing my character creation so that I'll be able to understand everything by the time the game starts.

Haha, you are definitely not the first guy who RP's on here, that doesn't like reading :)  If it helps, on the first page of this thread, you'll find the link to the games wiki, made by me.  And I definitely suggest looking up more info online.  We'd love to have you :D
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Flower

Niferbelle

I agree! I was really happy to see you pop up in my district  :D

TheRedFear

undisclosedtoyou

Hey Red, your character has been approved.  You can see his CS, here.  Oh, I do need a last name for your guy, just let me know what it is and I'll pop it into your CS.

And with that, our first tribute for District 12 is taken.

These are the tribute positions still open:

District 3 - 1 Male and 1 Female Tribute spot open.
District 5 - 1 Male and 1 Female Tribute spot open.
District 6 - 1 Male and 1 Female Tribute spot open.
District 7 - 1 Male and 1 Female Tribute spot open.
District 8 - 1 Male and 1 Female Tribute spot open.
District 9 - 1 Male and 1 Female Tribute spot open.
District 10 - 1 Male Tribute spot open.
District 12 - 1 Female Tribute spot open.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

TheRedFear

I was thinking he didn't have a last name. On the wiki many many(I dare say the overwhelming majority) of characters seemed to be mono-named. Cato, Thresh, Rue, and so on. Near as I could tell they were all one name chars. I assumed that was a norm in this setting.

If one is absolutely necessary....ummm...errrr...Tenaz. Valen Tenaz.

shadow2k

This sounds interesting.  I'm not too familiar with the Hunger Games but I'm interested anyway.  If I do join up, I'd be playing a female character.  Hopefully nobody minds that.
I've been described as "The trashy romance novelist variety of game designer."
My Characters:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=230746.0

Alysanthia

Quote from: TheRedFear on March 18, 2012, 10:11:51 PM
I was thinking he didn't have a last name. On the wiki many many(I dare say the overwhelming majority) of characters seemed to be mono-named. Cato, Thresh, Rue, and so on. Near as I could tell they were all one name chars. I assumed that was a norm in this setting.

If one is absolutely necessary....ummm...errrr...Tenaz. Valen Tenaz.

In the books you ever really learn a few of the character's last names. Katniss Everdeen, Peeta Mallark, Gale Hawthorne, Effie Trinket, and etc...

I was always curious about the other tribute's last names.

Quote from: shadow2k on March 18, 2012, 11:33:10 PM
This sounds interesting.  I'm not too familiar with the Hunger Games but I'm interested anyway.  If I do join up, I'd be playing a female character.  Hopefully nobody minds that.

Looks like there are seven female spots open still. :)

undisclosedtoyou

Yeah, it was always my view that a lot of the characters in the books didn't have their surnames mentioned, simply because there was neither the time or the necessity to give them.  Rue for example, had the time to give her last name, but to be honest the situations she and Katniss were in together, giving a last name just didn't seem like something that was all that important to give.  But the fact that some characters were given surnames means that they exist in that universe, so they shall be provided on the character sheet.  I'll add Tenaz to it in a jiffy.

I do agree with Aly though, I was always curious about the surnames to :)

Quote from: shadow2k on March 18, 2012, 11:33:10 PM

I can't speak for everyone, but it's more than okay with me Shadow; and that pretty much means that you're more than free to do so.  If you need help creating your character, feel free to contact me via PM, or ask any questions you may have here.  I do suggest looking through the game links provided in the first post of this thread, there you will find the games Elluiki page, and that character thread, where you can look through the already approved sheets to get an idea of what kind of characters are wanted.  Also, do feel free to look through the pages in this thread.  I know that most post's probably wont be too useful, but there are some good questions asked, and answered here.  As Aly said, there are a lot of female spots open, I'll quote it below so you can check out which Districts are free.

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on March 17, 2012, 11:33:23 PM
District 3 - 1 Male and 1 Female Tribute spot open.

O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

shadow2k

Name: Kenzie McCoy
Division: District 3

Height: 5'1"
Weight: 104 lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Dirty Blonde
Skin tone: Fair
Distinguishing Marks: Whip scars across her back.
Physical Description:
She is small, quick, and agile, but the first thing people tend to notice about her these days is her chest, which is a bit large in proportion to the rest of her - not to an extreme, but significant enough anyway.  She has a small frame and is quite slender, like her parents.  She is athletic, though not interested in conventional sports, at least not those allowed by law.  She has developed her athletic abilities through parkour, which she enjoys greatly, despite the fact that her parents (among others) have tried to put a stop to it.
Likes: Staying hidden, bright colors, technology, freedom, self-improvement, knowledge, guile
Dislikes: Foolishness, immaturity, bullies, oppression, dark colors, attention
Fears: Imprisonment, brain damage, public nudity, loss of control, excessive attention
Personality:
Her father is a programmer who has developed well-known software for The Capitol's computer systems, both government and civilian.  Her mother is a professor at one of the district's tech schools.  Kenzie has grown up in a world that doesn't understand her - at least that's how she sees it (pretty much like any sixteen year old).  With her, it's probably more true.  Society wants to keep her locked away, where she can't threaten the established regime, but all she wants to do is run free and explore the world.  She wants desperately to learn all that she can, to go where she pleases, and see everything.  Unfortunately, this desire conflicts with her need to avoid attention.  This need probably developed out of necessity, always getting punished for simply wanting to learn the things they didn't want her to learn.  She has learned to hide and avoid attention by wearing dark and color-less clothes, which she hates.  She wishes she could dress the way she wants - like they do in The Capitol, and she is jealous of them for it.  However, her "urban camouflage" has served her well when she is out running free in the world, evading the patrols, and exploring her reality.  Even when she is locked away in her room, she explores in a different way - absorbing knowledge through books and other sources, whatever she can get ahold of.  Some of these books she has found during her secret escapades across the walkways and rooftops of her District.  She is fairly certain that if anyone found out she had them, they'd take them away, and probably worse, so she has learned how to hide objects well.  She is a conflicted individual, but she has learned to derive strength from these conflicts, instead of letting them hold her back.

History:
For most of her life, Kenzie was too small and uninteresting to draw attention, but as she grew into a teenager, she strove to find a personal identity.  Not content to simply be a hybrid of her father and mother, she looked inward, trying to figure out who she was underneath her heritage.  She discovered a need for liberation and a quiet unyielding anger against the government that held her down.  Unlike her parents, she was not content to simply obey and service the state.  She saw a world that tempted her with knowledge and learning, and wanted to explore it, but it was always just beyond her reach.  So she learned to hide and sneak and escaped out into that world.  The first time she was caught by patrols and severely whipped, and this kept her in check for a while, tormented by nightmares of her experience, but she resolved to turn the fear of her nightmares into a strength, and looked into the dreams to find the subconscious clues left in her memory which she would use to outwit the patrols and run free again.  She never got caught again, knowing that it would mean death, but what she didn't know was that someone was aware of her escapades.  By the age of sixteen, she had proven remarkable on intelligence and knowledge tests, and had - unbeknownst to her - attracted the wrong kind of attention from someone deep inside the government.  Her name came up in the lottery, and everyone thought it was just bad luck.  The Peacekeepers said she represented the best aspects of her district: intelligence and determination.  But the things she'd seen - the conversations she'd overheard - she knew that this was their way to get rid of her.  She knew that she had gotten too close to something on her last adventure in the city.  She always saw interesting things when she explored the city.  She wondered what it might have been that they thought she saw, and she wondered why they chose this way to engineer her death.  Surely there were cheaper, quicker ways?

OOC: I'm taking some creative license here to establish that there is a mysterious entity (individual or organization) in the government which has essentially allowed her to break the law, making her think she was avoiding patrols.  Their motives are unknown.  Perhaps they are using her to study the psychology of potential rebels?  Perhaps the Games will allow them to see how rebels think when they are faced with life and death.  Or maybe it's more complex than that.  Maybe this organization actually wanted her to find something that could threaten the government.  Maybe they want her to win.  I'm purposely not deciding this right now, because it makes it more interesting.  I like to create characters with opportunities like this for the gamemaster to have some fun with the character too.
My Characters:

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: shadow2k on March 19, 2012, 01:48:12 AM
OOC: I'm taking some creative license here to establish that there is a mysterious entity (individual or organization) in the government which has essentially allowed her to break the law, making her think she was avoiding patrols.  Their motives are unknown.  Perhaps they are using her to study the psychology of potential rebels?  Perhaps the Games will allow them to see how rebels think when they are faced with life and death.  Or maybe it's more complex than that.  Maybe this organization actually wanted her to find something that could threaten the government.  Maybe they want her to win.  I'm purposely not deciding this right now, because it makes it more interesting.  I like to create characters with opportunities like this for the gamemaster to have some fun with the character too.

Okay, so your character has been approved.  But as for the rebel/capitol thing, I'm keeping these things in the background, and they wont be a big part of this game, at least until we get closer to the 74th Hunger Games(which is a goal of mine.)  But, if your character wins, I'll work something out with you about a possible outcome that involves the Capitol and it's sub division that watches over rebels.  But you all have to remember that things like going out of bounds isn't something that would gain the Capitols attention, these things are usually handled by the Peacekeepers; it's only major things, like inciting rebellion within your district that would get the Capitols attention.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

undisclosedtoyou

This is the new line-up of available Tribute positions.

District 3 - 1 Male Tribute spot open.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

shadow2k

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on March 21, 2012, 01:05:30 PM
Okay, so your character has been approved.  But as for the rebel/capitol thing, I'm keeping these things in the background, and they wont be a big part of this game, at least until we get closer to the 74th Hunger Games(which is a goal of mine.)  But, if your character wins, I'll work something out with you about a possible outcome that involves the Capitol and it's sub division that watches over rebels.  But you all have to remember that things like going out of bounds isn't something that would gain the Capitols attention, these things are usually handled by the Peacekeepers; it's only major things, like inciting rebellion within your district that would get the Capitols attention.

Got it.  When I create a character that has a good chance of dying, I try to set it up so that they are connected to things that will allow me to progress some kind of plot or storyline across multiple characters, so that's the idea here.
My Characters:

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: shadow2k on March 21, 2012, 04:20:01 PM
Got it.  When I create a character that has a good chance of dying, I try to set it up so that they are connected to things that will allow me to progress some kind of plot or storyline across multiple characters, so that's the idea here.

You're completely allowed to do this, but PM me about it first, because things like rebellions/Rebels/Capital/anything major or spook like, are things that go under plot, and might contrast with what I have planned for this game.  I'm not all 'grrr no plotting for you,' but PM me, and we can work something out.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

shadow2k

Ok, well right now I don't have any plans for this plot.  I usually don't.  I have a very emergent way of writing.  I'll set something up with no real ideas about where it will go, but I make sure there's stuff in the initial setup to go on.  I do this so that the GM and other players can jump in and have their own fun with my plot if they like.  I find that creates some really interesting and unpredictable storylines, especially when the GM has their own ideas about where the story should go - they can use what I've done as a kind of resource to build on their own stuff, or just ignore it, however they choose.  This is why I left alot of mysteries in Kenzie's history.  The idea is that what happens to other characters, and what you decide to do with the story, might find some use for those mysteries later on.  I don't really have any plan for it, I'll just build on what ever else happens.
My Characters:

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: shadow2k on March 21, 2012, 06:55:48 PM
Ok, well right now I don't have any plans for this plot.  I usually don't.  I have a very emergent way of writing.  I'll set something up with no real ideas about where it will go, but I make sure there's stuff in the initial setup to go on.  I do this so that the GM and other players can jump in and have their own fun with my plot if they like.  I find that creates some really interesting and unpredictable storylines, especially when the GM has their own ideas about where the story should go - they can use what I've done as a kind of resource to build on their own stuff, or just ignore it, however they choose.  This is why I left alot of mysteries in Kenzie's history.  The idea is that what happens to other characters, and what you decide to do with the story, might find some use for those mysteries later on.  I don't really have any plan for it, I'll just build on what ever else happens.

Oh, I get what your saying, but this is basically for everyone.  I don't really care if you all have your own side plots going on, but this game isn't entirely freeform, which is why there's a battle system worked out for this game.  So things like plot and anything to do with the Capitol are determined by me.  So if anyone has ideas concerning plots that could impact with what I'm planning, swing it my way first, and I'll tell you if it's okay or not.  For the most part, this game is pretty cut and dry, it's about a bunch of kids being thrown into the arena where they will fight until only one character is alive.  If we can get through this Hunger Game, than I'll start inserting things that will lead to more rebellious elements, and the Capitol will have a stronger influence in this game.  So the only reason I'm saying no to character subplots with the Capitol, is because they aren't going to be playing a role in the game; with the exception that it might color some of the characters thoughts.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

shadow2k

Ok, that sounds like a good idea.  I'm looking forward to seeing what happens!
My Characters:

KnowThySire

My lil brother just bought the book yesterday. Kind of tempted to read. xD

LimitlessNikkie

Totally should they are great book and a quick easy read.

KnowThySire

Don't mean to go off topic but... Holy shit, it's Nikkie!

As for the book, I might, but the movie does come out tomorrow... :P

undisclosedtoyou

If you start reading it now, you might be able to finish it before the movie is released, it's not the longest book out there:P
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's