Firefly: The Uncivil Wars - Now Recruiting [Freeform; NC: Sml Groups]

Started by AmberStarfire, February 04, 2016, 05:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmberStarfire

NOW RECRUITING!

Firefly: The Uncivil Wars is a new Firefly game that takes place after the Serenity movie. The game GM (storyteller) is Aiden, and co-GM is AmberStarfire.

The following roles are reserved:
Captain (Amber)
A Fighter/Mercenary (Aiden)

THE SHATTERING

"Lies, it was all lies. How long have they hid the truth from us. No more, it is time we demand answers..."
- Unamed Martyr (Before he was killed, the death was the last broadcast before the great network collapse.

Rebellion!

The Verse watched in horror as the events of Miranda came to light. An entire planet, more than that, an entire system had been systemically destroyed for what? Compliance? Test that were meant to turn people into empty drones instead they created the worst nightmares imaginable, the Reavers. The truth was finally out and with it, the people demanded more, what where they hiding! Protesting began, order turned into chaos as the alliance responded in force. Protest turned to violence, to terrorism, a declaration was made and the uncivil wars began.

No one was safe when the conflict began, the rich were prime targets. Private security became large business, the core worlds saw battles on their door step. The Alliance fleet all but useless as it continued to lick its wounds after the "Universe Battle". Political turmoil and civil unrest led to a declaration of martial law. All the worlds with alliance outpost were under siege as the cries of rebellion and freedom grew louder and stronger. Former brown coats took up the cause but a division became clear. The wealthiest families of the Georgia system backed the "browncoats" and led to the secession. 

The shattering, that was what many called it. It came after Miranda, but discord had been growing for a long time. Cracks had formed in the foundations of the Alliance and its illusions of civilization until the lies could no longer be overlooked. It tore the Alliance apart and rippled out like a stone dropping into calm waters. Nothing would be the same, ever again.

The Alliance splintered into factions with its core leadership forming the Allied Empire. The wealthy families of Georgia supported former Browncoat officers, who had long prepared to fight another day. They declared themselves the Confederacy and with their forces gathered and more ships arriving every day, they declared war on the Allied Empire and laid siege to many of the core worlds. On the rim, the Confederacy supports the rebellion against Allied Empire strongholds. One thing is clear, the Confederacy are not the Browncoats of the former war. They're more prepared and better equipped than the Browncoats were during the Unification War. Their goal: a better universe, a better leadership than the Alliance or its new Empire could ever offer.

The numerous factories and guilds unified to protect themselves when the Alliance failed to do so and became known as the House of Mao. These industrialists gained power through generation of wealth, opting to stay clear of any affiliation. Their ships and goods are sold to Allied Empire and Confederacy, as well as any buyer with enough credits. They have grown strong enough to take over their own planets and settlements, their work force ever growing by refugees and even slave labor, and people looking to get away from the wars.

The Allied Empire, while shattered, still has massive holdings and a powerful albeit a partly weakened army. It has lost land and control of the verse but they are not out of the fight. In fact, they are recovering and after "cutting the fat" by allowing former settlements to fall prey to Reavers, Mao, Confederates or the Cartels, they don't mask their intentions anymore. Those who do not accept their rule are imprisoned or become refugees. Compliance is mandatory.  Safety comes at a price, liberty.

The Cartels - Don't be fooled by their honey-coated words. Being taken in by the cartels means they own you. If you are lucky they will overlook you but never forget they will one day need a favor. The worlds they claim and hold are anything from paradises to crime-infested pits of drugs, prostitution and black market trading. Some people excel in this world, others fall victim. These worlds are not the place to play the hero. Heroes die at these settlements/worlds.

Where do you fall in to place?

It has been two years since the broadcast that started the wars. The global network that connected rim world outposts and communication have fallen. News is heavily-monitored and even censored, messages can take up to weeks to hear back from planets or different systems. Some planets grow isolated and prefer to stay that way, others send out distress signals that may never be heard. Some crews have taken to piracy, others to mercenary work, some to simple mail and transport delivery. If you have a ship you can easily find work, the question is, what side do you fall on?

THE FIVE FACTIONS

The Allied Empire
The Confederacy
The Cartels
The House of Mao
The Reavers

Players can be former Alliance, but not currently Allied Empire. They can be Confederacy, a member of a Cartel, a member of the House of Mao, and obviously not a Reaver.

Where is this game starting?
This game will be starting in the Blue Sun System. Formerly Reaver Space, the Reavers are still a threat but they have spread out to the verse. Many of these planets have been recolonized by the Allied Empire, Cartels, Mao and the Confederacy. It is a gold rush and cut off planets are being targeted for their holdings and resources. '

How are we starting?
You are all criminals for one reason or another. Were you caught smuggling, did you kill someone, a hacker? What did you do to be on board a prison ship on way to New Folsom, a prison colony on one of the moons in the Blue Sun system (Allied Empire control).

Besides any skills your character has, you are starting the same as everyone else. A prison jumpsuit and a pot to piss in.

LINKS AND WHERE TO GO FROM HERE

GM Planning Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=239002.0

If you have questions, please ask them in PM (CC'd) to Aiden and AmberStarfire or here on the recruitment thread where we'll answer them.

Character Sheet: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=239002.msg12005178#msg12005178

If you're interested in joining the game, please fill out a character sheet with your concept and PM it to Aiden and AmberStarfire.

We are recruiting multiple characters for each type of role and if you have an interest in command roles, please let us know as there may be additional ships or opportunities in the future. This means we may have more than one engineer, more than one fighter, more than one Companion or more than one medical character, among other types. I'll choose an XO for the ship when we reach an appropriate point in the game.

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

freeko

Crash

Based on the GM's I would guess story comes first with some smut if it makes sense for the characters, but that is just my guess.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

AmberStarfire

The story would come first, but if Aiden's got no argument, I'd suggest we create one or more threads for smut that run alongside the game. That way any sex scenes aren't going to overwhelm the game threads, but they can still happen.

Crash

Quote from: AmberStarfire on February 05, 2016, 12:34:18 PM
The story would come first, but if Aiden's got no argument, I'd suggest we create one or more threads for smut that run alongside the game. That way any sex scenes aren't going to overwhelm the game threads, but they can still happen.

Smut threads are what I usually do in my games as well.

Aiden

That is what we would do, side threads for all the smut scenes. People will have down time in between chapters and events, so what you do during that time is up to you. (As long as it remains on the ship IF we are traveling)

Yarnover

I'm interested in this game - is there any type of character you don't need? I now you're getting profiles sent your way so I don't want to make another "character type X" if you already have four of them.
O/Os ~ ~ A/As

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Yarnover on February 05, 2016, 06:38:20 PM
I'm interested in this game - is there any type of character you don't need? I now you're getting profiles sent your way so I don't want to make another "character type X" if you already have four of them.

Most role types are still available. The only role unavailable at this time is captain, as far as I'm aware. She trained as an engineer so if we don't fill an engineering role, I'll have her take over that side of things for the most part. If anyone's interested in engineering, I'll leave that aspect to them.

Comms may be covered, but Aiden and I are still discussing the characters so far.

Yarnover

Is the Cortex around at all anymore? Perhaps only in certain systems?
O/Os ~ ~ A/As

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Yarnover on February 05, 2016, 07:03:54 PM

I'm going to leave that question to Aiden to answer, since he's storytelling.

Mathim

Damn. The only character I have developed is one that would only fit in a scenario where they'd be a passenger on Mal's ship and the status quo is mostly the same as the series.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Aiden

Quote from: Yarnover on February 05, 2016, 07:03:54 PM

It is down for the most part but a skilled Hacker would be able to jump relays and get info. So to the common person it is gone, for a hacker, it can be a great source of potential.

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Mathim on February 05, 2016, 07:16:16 PM
Damn. The only character I have developed is one that would only fit in a scenario where they'd be a passenger on Mal's ship and the status quo is mostly the same as the series.

A different character is an option.

OT: I made a couple of changes to the character sheet, so combat and ship skills are now in the one category. Characters have 1 major and 2 minor skills of that type. I haven't limited personal skills in the same way but they're mainly there to show through a character's personality and give them other things to do that don't tie in directly with their shipboard role.

CurvyKitten

Totally interested, not going to lie I was watching the world building thread lol :p

AmberStarfire

Quote from: CurvyKitten on February 07, 2016, 01:47:10 PM
Totally interested, not going to lie I was watching the world building thread lol :p

Cool. :) It would be great to see you in the game.

CurvyKitten

Quote from: AmberStarfire on February 07, 2016, 01:48:50 PM
Cool. :) It would be great to see you in the game.

Woot :) I'm working on a pilot as we speak. probably wont have her handed in till tomorrow though. As I have to be up at 2:30 am again for work hehe. So its an early bed time for me!

Aiden

Quote from: Mathim on February 05, 2016, 07:16:16 PM

I considered placing it before the Miranda broadcast but I wanted to create a gold rush like setting with Blue Sun System and make it the new Space Wild West.

Crash

AmberStarfire

Aiden asked me to post an update on the current recruitment for the game.

So far we have:
A communications/electrical/martial arts person - approved
A hacking/technical/hand to hand person - awaiting feedback
A firearm/first aid/mechanical person - awaiting final approval

(as well as the reserved roles of captain (command/former engineer) and a fighter).

CurvyKitten

I just got home from work, but I will have my pilot coming your way soon hopefully! :)

AmberStarfire

Quote from: CurvyKitten on February 08, 2016, 10:45:12 AM
I just got home from work, but I will have my pilot coming your way soon hopefully! :)

Cool. That would be great. :)

AmberStarfire

This is the character sheet for the game (Aiden asked me to drop it in here for simplicity's sake).

Quote from: AmberStarfire on January 19, 2016, 08:13:48 PM
(Please put character image where Mal is. This game is freeform).

Character Sheet - Firefly: The Uncivil Wars

Character name (real name):

Pseudonym(s) (if any):

Role(s) on board:

Faction:

Criminal record (all characters will have one):

Bounty (Allied Empire):

Planet of origin:

Language(s) (must include English):

Height:

Eyes:

Hair:

Weight:

Ship and Combat Skills (Please limit these to one major and two minor skills):

Personal skills:

Background:

Goals and priorities:

Ons/Offs (also please link to the player's own):

Crash

While my character has some mechanical skills a ships mechanic would still be a good character concept.  Milly's mechanics are a minor skill and can hold things together in a pinch if necessary but a dedicated mechanic she is not.  Same goes for her first aid skill.

AmberStarfire

My character (Lindsay) built her prior ship from salvage, working in the junkyards on Beylix. However, if she's going to Captain this one, someone else will need to be the mechanic, either part or all of the time.