Fall of the Gods - interest check

Started by Gami, May 19, 2010, 07:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gami

Fall of the Gods [VAN] [VAN-E] [NC-H] [NC-E] - This story takes place in today's world. It tells an epic story of the people who have dedicated themselves to seeking out and killing gods. A story of love and hate, of forbidden romances between foes who would otherwise seek each others' deaths, and of friendship, honor and desires. It is a struggle of both soul and steel between humans, the gods of mythology, and the demigods who are caught between. Will you follow your companions, or your heart? Play as a human, a god, or a demigod. As a god you will be either one from Greek or Scandinavian mythology. As a demigod you'll simply be an original character, just like humans, and your character may or may not be aware of his or her lineage.

So, do we have any interested people? I'd like to stress that story and character development, interaction and character-centric plots are the focal point here. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to write them here or send me a PM! =)

PS: Thanks to Xaoc who helped me rewrite this and make my intentions clearer!

lacuna

I really like this idea, probably the only thing that would make me even more interested in it is being able to add Gods from other mythologies. I'm particularly interested in Hindu mythology and would be interested in playing a demi-god who stems from that mythology. I could pick one from greek or scandinavian though if absolutely necessary. :P

Let me know if there are any others interested.

Your heart is my pinata

O&OIdeas/Cravings One Shot

Major Major

Why do I want to bring Ah! My Goddess into this?

Gami

Quote from: lacuna on May 19, 2010, 06:12:45 PM
I really like this idea, probably the only thing that would make me even more interested in it is being able to add Gods from other mythologies.

I'm glad you like the idea! =) The reason why I settled on only Greek and Scandinavian mythology (as opposed to any mythology) is that I feel people are more familiar with the gods of these mythologies. I wanted to avoid having two or more gods who share the same role/powers, as well as avoiding gods who may be too abstract. But the main reason is that I wanted coherence and common ground between the gods other than the fact that they are gods. I included two mythologies simply for variety. I have no trouble removing either one or replacing it with any one other mythology. I'm flexible, I could just decide on a case-to-case basis.

I forgot to include it in my rewrite, but demigods are supposed to be original characters just like humans. Basing your character off a pre-existing demigod is fine. =)

Quote from: Major Major on May 19, 2010, 06:39:29 PM
Why do I want to bring Ah! My Goddess into this?

I have no idea.

Odin

Oh I see how it is, its cos I'm Norse isn't it? :P

I'm interested in playing a Demi-God.

Travaius

Hmmm I would be interested in this. A Thor like character that has to defend himself against humans? Intriguing...
Don't tempt the hammer of the Waagh. The Black Riva is in our blood, spill a drop and the rest of us will drown you in it, got it?

Ramael

This sounds a lot like Scion.

Also, a little like American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

I love the latter to death, so I'm interested. Only thing is, I reckon you're gonna get all demi gods and no humans/gods, so they might have to be NPCs.

Sounds cool though, and yeah, I'm gonna be one of those annoying people who maybe want a little more god variety-are you only going to include two pantheons? I would love there to be a few more. The Greek choice is a good one, Hindu also another great suggestion, I may also recommend Egyptian and Celtic pantheons? There's quite a large range there.

Thoughts?

Gami

What pantheons and the number of pantheons to include has been something I've wrestled with since the the conception of this idea. Today and yesterday I tried to get a crystal clear vision of how I wanted the RP to play, and where to put the focus. I realized that the issue with having only a few pantheons is not necessarily a restrictive one. Instead, the issue becomes that you validate certain pantheons while stating others to be false. Seeing as this takes place in the modern world where multi-culture is commonplace, I concluded that there should be some form of truth to each pantheon.

Long story short, I reckon all pantheons should be available, restricted to gods only.

Ramael, you're the only one with an inquiry at this time so I'll address you now: The roleplay would basically not work if people did not play humans or gods, so I might only allow a couple spots for demigods which become available after a certain quota of humans/gods have been filled. Demigods were never part of the original inception of the idea, I just thought they might add a little flavor. We'll see how I deal with that.

Well, we have a few interested now and I'm sure with a proper sign-up thread we'd garner more interested. I'll set it up sometime next week(end) I think, as I'll have more free time by then.

Ramael

You answered that pretty well, Gami, thanks.

In light of that, I could feasibly see me making a human character, a Humanist who sees death of Gods as the only way for mankind to progress as a race, and dedicates himself to it...religeously, steeping himself in hypocrisy at the same time.

What limitations would you put on the human players? They obviously can't be as powerful as Gods, but I wouldn't mind it if my guy was an Occultist, for example, with a set of limited pseudo-magical powers or tricks.

Crovonovin

I'd like to voice my own interest in this game, and would be willing to fill the role of a God.  I'm caught between the idea of playing a more arrogant deity that would see this Godhunt as the futile mewlings of a "lesser race", or one that is merely concerned with his or her own survival.  Perhaps a bit more delving into the chosen mythologies will help focus me a bit more.

An addendum, just something I want clarified.  Do you have a plan for reconciling the fact that there are two distinct Underworlds between Scandinavian and Greek mythology?  Hel and Hades, respectively.  Would both realms and their overseers exist simultaneously with each receiving a portion of souls from the dead (or otherwise fight over the rights for said souls), or would they rule as a pair due to the overlap in their duties?

Ramael

I would imagine an "underworld", if it came into play, would be Greek/Scandanavian/Christian specific depending on the beliefs of the individual who was there.

If we had two gods of the underworld from different pantheons, I'm sure there would be mutual recognition and acknowledgement of that fact. If there are multiple gods existing in this universe, then they no doubt share the underworld plane, maybe different aspects of it.

Although it would be interesting for some souls to be fought over by various gods. If there is a clash in duties (of whichever type of god) t'would be interesting to see how those gods resolved those problems.

One thing-where is the setting for this RP?

Gami

Quote from: Shihong on May 22, 2010, 04:12:15 PM
An addendum, just something I want clarified.  Do you have a plan for reconciling the fact that there are two distinct Underworlds between Scandinavian and Greek mythology?  Hel and Hades, respectively.  Would both realms and their overseers exist simultaneously with each receiving a portion of souls from the dead (or otherwise fight over the rights for said souls), or would they rule as a pair due to the overlap in their duties?

You just touched that very thing I mentioned earlier, about two or more gods essentially filling the same role, and the same can be said about identical locations, items and concepts. I admit that I've not decided how to handle that issue. A possibility is simply that each exist within different planes (as opposed to having three realms: heaven, hell and earth). I wouldn't use the word "rule" though: "govern" seems like a more appropriate word.

As Ramael mentions earlier, the relationship between the individual (and his soul) and a pantheon determines what god governs the aspects of his life. In the case of death, a faith in Greek pantheon meant that your underworld is governed by Hades.

Quote from: Ramael on May 22, 2010, 06:01:13 PM
Although it would be interesting for some souls to be fought over by various gods. If there is a clash in duties (of whichever type of god) t'would be interesting to see how those gods resolved those problems.

One thing-where is the setting for this RP?

For those who do not have faith in any one pantheon, the aspects of their lives and their fates are free-for-fall, fought over by gods who are interested in their souls. Essentially, one could say that gods feed on human faith and human souls. So if you live your live as a Bhakti hinduist who dedicated yourself to the moon goddess, your faith would empower her, even if your soul went elsewhere. One could also say that each pantheon works more or less as a team. There might be internal conflicts, but ultimately the prosperity of one is the prosperity of all. Consider it divine politics.

undisclosedtoyou

I am officially stating my interest in this game, it's been awhile since I've played on E, and this idea seems like a good one to get involved with.  I'm certainly contemplating playing Freya, with amnesia caused by an unsuccessful assassination attempt; which would be an interesting role to play.  But than again I can see having more fun with a less powerful character. 

I have a few questions, but only a few so it's not too bad.  Is it safe to assume that Gods walk and live among humans?  And if so, how integrated are they in human society?  Are they expected to dress and behave like humans to blend in?  How will you reconcile the obvious disadvantages human would have compared to the integral power Gods carry?  Will there be power limits to god characters?(I hope so).

"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's