News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Mars Colony - Still open to new players

Started by Chrystal, July 29, 2012, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

Not having played Mass Effect, I will take your word on that.

Anyway, I'm awaiting your charsheet eagerly!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Florence

Quote from: Chrystal on December 29, 2012, 06:16:16 PM
Not having played Mass Effect, I will take your word on that.

Anyway, I'm awaiting your charsheet eagerly!

Mass Effect 2: Joker lines.

That should give you an idea of the personality xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Chrystal

So cool!

I take it he's the pilot. I was trying to work out who the chick (?) standing behind him was...

That is a definite approved character right there, provided you capture the essence of him.

I have always had a soft spot for Wash, from Firefly...

Firefly Clip: This Land

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Florence

Oh, the chick's just the player character. Can be male or female, you customize how they look.

And xD I love Wash. And Mal. And Jayne. And... all of them.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Chrystal

"Hey, can I get a mirror here so I can actually see if someone is standing behind me?"

Gotta love that line.

Chrystal

I know I'm expecting a lot here, as people don't often join well established games, but I'm bumping this recruitment thread in the hopes of getting maybe a few more people?

We're planning an expedition from the underground base, out on to the Martian surface, possibly to Olympus Mons, or the Vales Marianas. Geologists, surveyors, or anyone desperately wanting to get out of the base, would be more than welcome on the trip.

The game is desperately short of scientific staff. For some reason, everyone wants to be military, when all they get to do is stand around and look pretty, and most of those players have dropped out!

Anyway, if you fancy bouncing around in a MSSS (Martian Surface Survival Suit), cook up a character and post it here.

LordMing

No worries, I will think about the construction thing.  I will just need to find a concept in my addled brain to put something together.
Klytus, I'm bored. What play thing can you offer me today? ~Emperor Ming

LordMing

Okay, a potential miner as well as construction capable person. 
player: LordMing

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Rita Munoz
Nationality: Venezuela
Sexuality: Transgender

Job: Mining
Specific skills: Worked as a roughneck on several off shore oil platforms. trained as a welder (Plasma/MIG/TIG). 

Height: 185cm
Weight: 86 kg

Eye Colour: Gray
Hair colour: Black

Distinguishing marks: Tribal Cross tattoo on back, "Straight Edge" tattooed on abdomen, two stars tattooed on lower abdomen, tribal dragon tattoo on left bicep, tribal band tattoo on right bicep

Likes: heavy metal music, action movies, romance movies, drinking
Dislikes: hangovers, judgemental people, communal showers, bats

Psych profile/personality: Rita Munoz is a hard working, loyal person with a tendency to answer insults with her fists.  She makes friends with anyone who can meet her on equal terms and seldom abandons them once they have been accepted.  While she is a good worker, she also tends to find a single person who she thinks of as her "Boss", whether that person is only a step above her or the president of a company, that is the only person she will accept orders from with little or no question.

History: Carlos Ramone Munoz worked from the day he turned 16 in the construction field, eventually getting a slot on an offshore oil rig where he learned about using heavy drilling equipment and how to weld nearly anything.  It was here that he also learned how to fight.  One of his fellow roughnecks was an American who was also gay. Once it was found out that Carlos sought to become a woman he trained Munoz in Krav Maga so that he could defend himself.  Using the funds from a few years of roughnecking he was finally able to put forth the funds to begin the process of becoming a woman, and has since taken the name of Rita Munoz, though she has not completed the surgical process as yet due to cultural blocks in her home country.
Rita campaigned hard to get onto the Mars Mission, and she made it into the cue, but only as a standby.  She was about to take another roughneck jon when she received the call that one of the miners had to drop out due to family emergencies and she was offered his slot.  Finally she had her chance, and she intended to make the most of it as she looked forward to all the opportunities that could now be opening up for her. 

Other info: Rita is trained in Krav Maga

Chrystal

Nice character, and I'm going to be really annoying and ask you to change two details:

1) The knife. This wouldn't be allowed. Anyone who was so insecure that they felt the need to carry a knife wouldn't make it onto the mission. There is no need for hir to defend hirself, because anyone who's psych profile revealed the least sign that they might attack another person would have been washed out. Even the military have been screened and although they are all veterans (hence capable of doing what is necessary if it comes to it), they are none of them cold-blooded killers.

2) There is no "earlier group". Three shuttle-loads of colonists came to Mars on the same ship. If you mean the previous manned mission, that my character, the Mission Commander, was part of, it happened way before Rita was old enough to know what homosexuality was! Shi can have come down on either the second or third shuttles - third might be best at this stage.

If you can please edit those two minor details, then I will happily approve the character.

There is just one thing: This is a LIGHT roleplay. While I have no objection to transgender characters in the context - especially given the beautifully detailed history you have provided, I would take it very seriously if shi seduced another character without first telling that character that shi still has male parts! While I'm sure it is your intention to be open and up-front (pardon the pun) about it, I have met people who are not!

bigdean777

I would like to play.  going  to do some reading then create a character.  are there any glaring holes that need to be filled?

LordMing

Quote from: Chrystal on January 21, 2013, 08:55:51 AM
Nice character, and I'm going to be really annoying and ask you to change two details:

1) The knife. This wouldn't be allowed. Anyone who was so insecure that they felt the need to carry a knife wouldn't make it onto the mission. There is no need for hir to defend hirself, because anyone who's psych profile revealed the least sign that they might attack another person would have been washed out. Even the military have been screened and although they are all veterans (hence capable of doing what is necessary if it comes to it), they are none of them cold-blooded killers.

2) There is no "earlier group". Three shuttle-loads of colonists came to Mars on the same ship. If you mean the previous manned mission, that my character, the Mission Commander, was part of, it happened way before Rita was old enough to know what homosexuality was! Shi can have come down on either the second or third shuttles - third might be best at this stage.

Editted the items, it was no problem.  The knife was a bit of an afterthought, and the shuttle thing was simple enough.  Let me know if this is cool now.
If you can please edit those two minor details, then I will happily approve the character.

There is just one thing: This is a LIGHT roleplay. While I have no objection to transgender characters in the context - especially given the beautifully detailed history you have provided, I would take it very seriously if shi seduced another character without first telling that character that shi still has male parts! While I'm sure it is your intention to be open and up-front (pardon the pun) about it, I have met people who are not!
I left her transgender.  I have a transgender friend, and I completely understand the concern, but I was hoping to let this stand.  If not then I can change her, no worries.

Chrystal

Quote from: LordMing on January 22, 2013, 09:57:08 AM
Editted the items, it was no problem.  The knife was a bit of an afterthought, and the shuttle thing was simple enough.  Let me know if this is cool now.

I left her transgender.  I have a transgender friend, and I completely understand the concern, but I was hoping to let this stand.  If not then I can change her, no worries.

Perfect. Character is approved. Pleas go say hi to the others in the OOC thread.

I would ask you to wait on posting IC until next week, please? The reason being that the game is on hold pending a time skip of around a week.

Quote from: bigdean777 on January 21, 2013, 06:16:56 PM
I would like to play.  going  to do some reading then create a character.  are there any glaring holes that need to be filled?

Hi Bigdean.

We could use a geologist, or any other scientist really. Miners/construction workers, cleaners...

To be honest, think up a job that would be useful to have in the colony. Everything except security and maintenance (both full).

Phaia

I am looking at this...not sure yet if i want to...no aliens to molest the females  :P still it looks good
I want to read the ic thread if you can link it and the ooc before i decide if thats good

I have an idea for a hydroponics /Animal geneticist loking to find a way to adapt grain to grow on the fridig land of mars [start of terraforming]

Phaia

bigdean777

Name:  Vladimir Gurkov  (Vlad)

Nationality:  Russian

Sexuality:  Straight

Job:  Miner

Skills: Heavy Machinery Operation and Repair

Height: 6'

Weight: 180 lbs

Eyes:  Blue

Hair: Shaved Head

Distinguishing Marks:  4" scar on his right thigh  Tattoo of Skull with glowing eyes on his right bicep

Likes:  Complex Machinery, Accomplishing what others have deemed impossible.

Dislikes:  People, quitters,

Psych Profile:  A bit of a loner.  More comfortable around his machines than other people.  Highly organized and goal oriented.  "Can't be done." is a phrase he never speaks.

History:  From Volgograd Russian.  South West of Moscow.  He was a miner on Earth before taking on this mission.  His father died of alcohol poisoning when he was 5 and he was raised by his mother.

He attended college to be an engineer but dropped out after only one year, feeling the things they were teaching him were useless.  He went to the mines and learned things first hand by doing.

He became known for his modifications and improvements of existing machines.

Other Info:  While he would prefer to work alone.  He has adjusted to a life of working as a team.  More of a hardware guy than a software guy.  But has passing knowledge of software to get him through.

Chrystal

Quote from: Phaia on January 22, 2013, 07:18:56 PM
I am looking at this...not sure yet if i want to...no aliens to molest the females  :P still it looks good
I want to read the ic thread if you can link it and the ooc before i decide if thats good

I have an idea for a hydroponics /Animal geneticist loking to find a way to adapt grain to grow on the fridig land of mars [start of terraforming]

Phaia

Hi Phia.

All threads are (or should be) linked in the opening post of this thread, at the bottom. Equally there are links to all the other threads in the OOC thread opening post. Please read the first five posts in the OOC carefully as they contain important background information, and then let me know if you're still interested?

Quote from: bigdean777 on January 22, 2013, 09:27:48 PM
Name:  Vladimir Gurkov  (Vlad)

Nice character. Do you have a picture? I'm afraid it's mandatory. (We have a blind player playing and his character has a picture!)

If you need help finding one, I am always happy to do so.

bigdean777

I will add a picture soon.  Posting from my phone last few days.  Back to my laptop soon.

Kythia

player: Kythia

Name: Nicola (Nikki) Ward
Nationality: UK
Sexuality: Straight (Bi if that would be more useful)

Job: Reporter
Specific skills: Talented if somewhat sensational writer.  Good people skills

Height: 160cm
Weight: 55kg

Distinguishing marks: None

Dislikes: Monkeys.  Wide spaces (agorophobic)

Nikki is the daughter of the renowned stage actress Elizabeth Healy by her fourth husband and was destined for RADA from birth.  She starred in a few movies but her career realistically ended when a deliberately leaked sex tape that was meant to raise her profile and catapult her in to the big league backfired by being a little too...graphic.  She lost some parts that contracts had been signed for and wasn't getting any new ones - her reputation made her wholly unsuitable for family films and, at the advice of her publicist, she turned anything none family friendly to give her reputation time to recover.

With nothing to do professionally and not wanting to do anything socially that could hurt the repair of her reputation she started writing a gossip columnist ("The Insider") about her contacts.  Her identity was a pretty open secret, but the gossip magazines she wrote for found it a useful fiction that she was an anonymous reporter.  But they made sure she was invited to the red carpet events and it kept her name alive without running the risk of screwing it up.

And so it was she was handy and on the scene when the hottest celebrity wedding of the year was attacked by Russian terrorists.  She got a book out of it, but more importantly a job with CNN.  A job she proved extremely good at to everyone, including her, surprise.

She quickly moved up the informal ranks of reporters and eventually became the logical choice to travel, on CNN's dollar, to cover the publicity for the manned missions to mars

Chrystal

Uh... I hate to do this, as I thought I'd pre-approved your character, Kythia, but, I just spotted something: Agoraphobic.

She has to have been very good at hiding that or she would have been washed out. Three years in Antarctica, remember? Nothing but snow in all directions for as far as the eye can see, and a huge blue dome overhead...

If that doesn't set off agoraphobia, nothing will! And Mars is worse, because the sky is pink!

Claustrophobia would be a much worse issue, of course, but this is something we need to think about, please?

Kythia

Apologies.  I had assumed we'd be inside in Antartica  - didn't realise we were just sat out on the snow  :P

Sorry, couldn't resist. 

No problemo.  It wasn't massively important anyway, just felt I should put something there.

Chrystal

Actually, no, seriously, you could make it into an interesting plot point.

Say it's only mild agoraphobia, and on the short walk from the aircraft to the antarctic base it didn't affect her.

The Antarctic base is made to simulate life on Mars, so mostly it's inside and without windows. But there would be trips outside, mostly in environment suits the same as on Mars. Maybe Nikki managed to keep her participation to a minimum, and when she did have to go, managed to contrive some excuse to stay in the vehicle... Looking down, within the helmet, would work too... Looking at the horizon would freak her out, but if she managed to avoid that...

So, first major surface expedition on Mars, she has to be along to record it, and when the aircraft touches down as far up Mount Olympus as it can get - the mountain extends beyond the planet's atmosphere - she looks up at the black star-filled sky and out at the slightly curved horizon and curls up in terror!

I know I would, but with me it's heights, not open spaces.

Kythia

I had a similar scene ever so vaguely in mind.  Mine was in an "observation deck" type room, yours works better.  I'm happy with that if you are.

Chrystal

There is an observation deck, if you look at the descriptions of the various parts of the base... And it has already been used for naughtiness... :D

Kythia

Yeah, I spotted it.  Was planning on going up once, having a freak out then not going up again.

Chrystal

Okay, so we are in agreement.

Character is approved.  YAAAY!!! :D

bigdean777

I added a pic to the original post.  Got to figure out how to shrink it.