Interest Check: Pulp Fu Adventures! [NA]

Started by MadPanda, May 22, 2008, 01:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

While I've got the music of John Williams echoing in my ears, would anyone out there be at all interested in a pulp-style light-system game?  I'm fond of Pulp Fu (Wushu with pulp elements) and also octaNe (Against the Reich) because of their easy start-up and pro-character creativity elements but would consider using Feng Shui instead.

Thrills!  Excitement!  Purple Prose!  Plus it's a chance to pound the snot out of the mookiest of mooks.

(No, I haven't seen the new movie yet, but they're running the old ones again and again, so...)
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Elohim

Jefepato

My job keeps draining my will to live, but it sounds like fun (though I vastly favor Feng Shui).

MadPanda

Feng Shui is do-able, although I'd have to work up a Pulp juncture...

In Memory of Bishrook

Rayve13

I love pulp/steampunk stuff, so I'd be interested. I've played Feng Shui before, so I'm more familiar with that system, but I'll learn another if it's a decent system/readily available.

MadPanda

I think Wushu Open:Reloaded is still available for free, and that's the core system (if I can call it that) for Pulp-Fu.

I DO know Wushu Open is available through the designer (bayn.org) under Games > Wushu > Freebies...Open:Reloaded added a few more explanations, but it seems to have vanished from its former home on the Wushu wiki.

http://bayn.org/wushu/wushu-open.html

Not much to learn, but it takes a bit of getting used to since it permits a lot of creative control to players  :)  And the dice are a bit funky.

(Wushu is the only game I know in which it is a good thing to let your character get hit...)

In Memory of Bishrook

Bishrook aka Fate sisters

I bought and downloaded the Pulp fu pdf (only $5) and I am interested, I like rules lite and have always wanted to play a 'pulpy' 1920's story game.
Steph
Weaver of threads
 Clotho who spins,Lachesis who weaves Atopos who cuts
We are the fate sisters, the Moerae, who apportion your destiny.
ons and offs
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=7310.0

Athem

I think I'd be interested. I like the pulp era, though I'm more a fan of 1930s/1940s pulp (Indiana Jones, The Saint, various 'mystery men') than 1920s pulp (Bulldog Drummond - ugh).

BTW, I recommend the new movie - the only bit I was a little disappointed by was the last 20 minutes or so, when the CGI was over-used (much of the film was shot without CGI, to retain the look of the original Raiders).

MadPanda

And here I thought this was a dead concept!   :)  I have yet to see the new movie, and as the Cub is unlikely to permit same for a few years, I'll have to wait to rent.  Yes, it's a pity.

Now I just need a title...

In Memory of Bishrook

So an indiana Jones set up?
What are we looking for?
What kinds of roles do we need?
Urban setting or remote location (Egypt, India and so forth)
Time period (1920's through 1940's)
Do we get to kill Nazi's? ;D
Steph
Weaver of threads
ons and offs

Oh Yes,
If you want to have this on my now defunct Super hero board so all the threads hang together (and no limits on the number of threads) jusat say so.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=136.0
Just set it up boss and I'll sticky it at the top of the board.
Steph
Weaver of threads
ons and offs

MadPanda

So an indiana Jones set up?  Something like that, yes.
What are we looking for?   Not sure yet but I was thinking of using the Old Friends narrative structure.
What kinds of roles do we need?  At the moment?  Anything goes!
Urban setting or remote location (Egypt, India and so forth) Yes.  It isn't a good pulp adventure if you don't go globe-hopping.
Time period (1920's through 1940's) I'm thinking early '30s for the most part.
Do we get to kill Nazi's?  YES.  Or at least Thule Society weinerheads if not actual swastika-armband wearing goobers.

And thank you for the kind offer of using the defunct game.  I have a busy weekend ahead of me, but I'll pull a rabbit out of my hat at earliest opportunity.

In fact, I'll post the one-sheet summary here (and there, too) when I get it done.

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Working summary here...

Setting Name: (workin' on it!)

Setting Description: Pulp-Fu!

Inspiration: Pulp-Fu!  And Chill!  And maybe even a touch of the Cthulhu Mythos, filtered through Esoterrorists.  The first and third Indiana Jones movies.  Both Mummy movies.

License to Kick Ass: the characters are part of a small secret society dedicated to the preservation of knowledge and keeping certain secrets out of the hands of those who might use them for EEEEEEEvil.

Chi Is: Guts!  Toughness!  Never Say Die Attitude!

Sample Character Concepts:  Indiana Jones, Marian Ravenwood, Lara Croft, Rick O'Connell, Evvie O'Connell, and maybe even Hellboy (if you bribe Mister GM)

Typical Tasks:  Raiding ancient temples for lost treasures and artifacts, defeating nefarious Thule Society scholars, general pulp fiction mayhem like car chases, bar fights, rooftop chases, bar fights.

Suitable Traits: see Pulp-fu.

Suitable Weaknesses: see Pulp-fu.

Mooks:  If this is pulp, there gotta be Nazis!  And we gots Nazis...or at least the Thule Society.  Not to mention hostile natives, criminals of all stripes, and the occasional pack o' zombies.

Nemeses:  Thule Society Scholar, Evil Priest, Crime Lord, Femme Fatale

Example Descriptions:

Brushing away the dust of centuries, Professor Plum reads the Mayan hieroglyphs, his lips moving slightly as he translates.  Then, with a gasp of alarm, he spins around and regards his companions with some alarm.

"I think perhaps we'd better get out of here," he says nervously.  "Lord Smoking Jaguar valued his privacy, it seems.  These list the traps that lie beond the threshold...the one we crossed to reach this point, yes?  And it's quite exhaustive."

From somewhere, a hidden mechanism rumbles to life.

"Ahh," Professor Plum pales.  "That would be the door slamming shut, trapping us in here..."

In Memory of Bishrook

Rayve13

Consider me still interested. I got the Wushu thing downloaded, and might even have time to read it this weekend (last week of school coming up next week, then exams, papers to grade tonight, will they never go away!). Would that be enough to let me build a character?

MadPanda

Definitely!  And should you want any help, either I or Bishrook can help (since she's got Pulp-Fu as well).

I can probably get a list of templates up at some point later, Cub permitting, along with suggested traits.

In Memory of Bishrook

Elohim

Hmm what sort of bribes might a GM need for a sexy "Hellgirl."  *Grins*

MadPanda

Make me an offer.  And, of course, stat her appropriately.  (I tried Hellbabe myself in the octaNe game that Lancis started...but, alas, had to drop due to RL issues.)

In Memory of Bishrook

Elohim

*Bounces*  I'm gonna kill some nazis! 

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

We've got a spunky tomboy archaeologist already, with a mystic of some sort and a Hellboy type in the works.

Plenty of room for more!  Come on down.

At this point, I'm tempted to just call this Pulp-Fu or Tales of the Bronze Gorilla or something equally silly just to have a title...

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Still waiting on the two in-development PCs so we can start.

In Memory of Bishrook