Tibet and the Olympic

Started by Sugarman (hal), March 16, 2008, 10:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mia

Quote from: Humble Scribe on April 06, 2008, 01:58:47 PM
Tibet was independent until it was conquered by the Mongols in the 13th century. It was unified with China by an act of force. If you think that that is ancient history, the Anglo-Irish problem dates back to about the same era...

Quote from: Sugarman (hal) on April 06, 2008, 02:03:31 PM
Elvi posted this link as reference

http://www.friends-of-tibet.org.nz/tibet.html

let me ask you... the America Indian claimed the lands they held sacred to them as given by the great spirit... but it mattered not by the people across the seas. They just pushed them aside and even disregard their belief systems. 

I see it similar in Tibet... their way of life and beliefs are being pushed aside by the Chinese who see only strategic value of Tibet, disregard centuries of tradition and religious belief.

I didn't say I thought it was right, we have done this to people and cultures all over the world and we are still seeing people suffering for it. I just have some problem to point out that this problem with Tibet would be of greater importance than other people's struggles. Every people's fight for freedom and democracy is equal importance and I'm sorry to say I don't think that giving Tibet self-ruling is the best thing for the area, not even the Dala Lama seems to think that.

I can take other parts of the world that also should be divided if we are to follow this line of thoughts… Brazil, USA, Mexico, Russia, Great Britain, France, Spain, Sweden, Australia, too many countries to count in Africa… and so on.

As for the boycott idea, I think the best thing would to go to China compete and celebrate OS as it should be celebrated BUT it is the politicians that are to take advantage of the situation and actually talk to China, isolate countries and people have never worked (see North Korea)… not really. Don’t know if South Africa is an exception to that rule though.
I would like to meet the woman that invented sex to see what she is working on now.

ON and OFF: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8615.0

Elvi

The demonstrations that we are seeing are by the people, not by the polititions....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7332942.stm
The above link shows what happened in London when the olympic torch was brought through.

The issue isn't really as to whether China should pull out of Tibet, the issue is that the Tibetan's are not allowed to follow their own traditions and most importantly religions.

Tibet, has never really been able to function as a stand alone country, at least not in 'modern' times.
However, it has never been forced to abandon it's religion and had it's leaders forced to leave the country and live in exile.

And no....Tibet's 50+ years of struggle is no more and no less important than any other, however, they do have the oppertunity to highlight their plight during the time that China is hosting the Olympics.

It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Caustic

Well, that settles it. 

I will not compete in the Olympics.
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

Sugarman (hal)

Quote from: Caustic on April 08, 2008, 12:10:47 AM
Well, that settles it. 

I will not compete in the Olympics.

Let's all boycott... no to going to China... wish it was that easy.
"And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make."

My On/Off's

Apple of Eris

Well I find the olympics boring so I don't watch anyway.
Can't afford to go to china so I won't.

I suppose I could stop buying chinese goods, as a way of boycott... oh right, can't do that either.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Hunter

Something similiar happened in France.  It had to (several times) be transported by bus rather than by runner.

Avi

And it's in San Francisco today. I'm worried things could get REALLY out of hand, because Americans (myself being one of them) are often more prone to violence and extreme tactics to get a message across.  They'll need a SWAT team just to get it across the Golden Gate Bridge...
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Sugarman (hal)

Yes it's ironic that the only America visit of the torch was to one of America's most liberal cities. I'm sure China had expected a grand open armed greeting by SF. What with the large population of Chinese in that city. Now it's a clash of people of Asians. One seeking to showcase the culture of their homeland and other trying to show the world of the brutality by that same culture.

rather interesting
"And in the end
The love you take

My On/Off's

Sugarman (hal)

Well no one saw the torch in San Francisco. It went by boat, bus and by foot, totally out of the route it was supposed to go. Then to the airport for the closing ceremony.... see ya later... The City basically hurried it away... no thanks, don't want the trouble.  lol... but it's fitting... no thanks the hell with the million Tibet people killed over the 50+ years of occupation by China.
"And in the end
The love you take

My On/Off's