Godless inspired series

Started by RedEve, November 24, 2017, 04:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

Would anyone be interested in a western game loosely inspired by "Godless", the new Netflix series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMUiRYoc76A

The aspect that I find intriguing about the show's setting is the idea of a town almost entirely devoid of adult men, due to a mining disaster that took almost all of the able-bodied men.
So the town is left with the women and just the men too young or too old to have been working in the silver mine.

This does not necessarily mean that I would totally ban male characters of course, but they would have to fit into the setting.

This is also a fertile setting for anyone looking to explore FF relationships in a western setting (the show has one lesbian couple but there is no reason why there couldn't be more of course).

CS template

[float=left][img]insert character image here[/img][/float]
[b][font=georgia][size=18pt]Insert character name here[/size][/font][/b]
[b]Age:[/b] 28
[b]Background:[/b] (I would like everyone to include both a bit about their role within the community before the mining disaster and after the mining disaster)
[b]Other:[/b]

Sample character

Missy La Croix
Background: One of the wealthiest citizens in La Belle prior to the mining disaster, Missy had started out as a prostitute at ‘Claudette’s’, the resident brothel. As a sought-after lady of leisure, she was able to charge a good fee for her services and due to richness of the silver mine, much of her pay came in ore. As such, she was able to buy a share of Claudette’s business by the time she was 22 and she was able to buy out Claudette entirely when she was just 26, upon the former Madam’s decision to go back East to try and repair her relationship with her estranged son. Now in charge of her own place, Missy redecorated ‘Claudette’s’ and with the mine yielding more and more riches, a lot of the money made by the miners went directly from their pockets to her coffers. Even though the mining disaster was not the personal tragedy it was for the countless women who lost relatives in the calamity, it was a professional catastrophe for her. In the space of a few disastrous minutes, she lost almost her entire clientele, leaving only the handful of men in La Belle who didn’t earn their wages down in the pit. The smart thing would have been to sell her place, take her earnings elsewhere and start over again, but by that point, La Belle had been her home for ten years and she found it hard to leave. The majority of her stable of girls has left for greener pastures though, which means she herself now occasionally entertains men again, though the customers are so few and far between that she primarily has been living off her substantial savings for the past two years.
Other: I’m open to existing relationships and even one or two brothel girls if anyone is interested in that role.

Topics

Character thread
OOC thread
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

RedEve

Captain Whitebread

Would a former cavalry doctor who lost a leg below the knee fit your premise or were you looking for an all female cast?
There are nights when the wolves are silent and it the moon that howls.

RedEve

Not at all.

In the series there are a handful of men left in the town, those that did not work in the mine, like the Sheriff, the Sheriff's deputy, the saloon keeper, the shopkeeper, the undertaker, ...

Nymphadora

Now I know I need to binge this series even more!

Gonna be watching but sadly may be too full up to play...
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Florence

I've been considering watching this, and I do like the idea. Too tired to give a solid full commitment right now, but I'll put myself down with tentative interest to see if I can come up with any decent character ideas. And maybe binge the show.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

AndyZ

I haven't watched the show, but I've been thinking about trying to play the Sheriff.  How closely will events of the show mirror the game; will it be necessary to watch the show to get into it?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

RedEve

Quote from: AndyZ on November 27, 2017, 12:43:03 PM
I haven't watched the show, but I've been thinking about trying to play the Sheriff.  How closely will events of the show mirror the game; will it be necessary to watch the show to get into it?

The aspect I most want to keep intact is that this is now a town of women, even if there are still a handful of men left.
e.g. in the show the wives of the former prominent citizens now more or less are in charge.

AndyZ

How long ago was the accident, by the way?

RedEve

Quote from: AndyZ on November 27, 2017, 02:46:53 PM
How long ago was the accident, by the way?

Within my game, I haven't really thought about it yet.
I think in the show it happens about a year prior to the events of the show.

AndyZ

Just curious if it's long enough for the wives to show that they know what they're doing.  Sounds like it will be ^_^

Captain Whitebread

In the old west, it would take about an hour for the wives to show they knew what they were doing.  They were tougher than the men.

RedEve

Quote from: Captain Whitebread on November 27, 2017, 03:44:43 PM
In the old west, it would take about an hour for the wives to show they knew what they were doing.  They were tougher than the men.

I think "The Homesman" is an interesting glimpse into what frontier life might have been like for the more unfortunate among the frontier women.

Nymphadora

The more I think about this, the more I am interested... Curse you Red!  ;)
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

RedEve

Quote from: Nymphadora on November 28, 2017, 08:32:33 AM
The more I think about this, the more I am interested... Curse you Red!  ;)

;D

Nymphadora

A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

Gateman

Quote from: Captain Whitebread on November 27, 2017, 03:44:43 PM

This seems pertinent to that line of thought
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMycRBIXTWk

That said, I'd be happy to play the undertaker or the barman, if they're free

Captain Whitebread

Are we sticking with canon characters?

I much prefer creating my own.

Also, much love to Adam Ruins Everything!

Gateman

I'm with you. I hate playing anything other than an OC. I tend to feel like I'm violating the intent of the creator otherwise

Captain Whitebread

Agreed.  There is one person on here who seems to have the ability to talk me into playing canon characters.  I try to pick ones that are close to my own personality, after doing a disastrous Bruce Wayne.

RedEve

Quote from: Captain Whitebread on November 28, 2017, 05:40:46 PM
Are we sticking with canon characters?

I much prefer creating my own.

Also, much love to Adam Ruins Everything!

No, I am only using the setting. The town doesn't even have to be La Belle.
I just thought the premise of a western frontier town almost entirely inhabited by women is a fertile starting point for a roleplay.

Nymphadora

Quote from: RedEve on November 29, 2017, 01:15:37 AM
No, I am only using the setting. The town doesn't even have to be La Belle.
I just thought the premise of a western frontier town almost entirely inhabited by women is a fertile starting point for a roleplay.

It really is a great starting point.
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

RedEve

I have added a CS template to the opening post. If you are interested in joining this game, please create a character sheet and send it to me via PM. Thanks.  :-)

Florence

I just binged the series the other night, and I loved it!

I'll see what I can come up with in regards to a character. I've got some ideas.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.