Very Interested in Running A White Wolf style game (Any Welcome)

Started by Krysia, July 29, 2011, 12:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallensaviour

setites are pretty goddamn evil...what with being one of the few groups activly trying to end the world

Ixy

Quote from: fallensaviour on July 30, 2011, 01:39:03 PM
yeay vissicitude as a desiese...in that case i might play a torrie antitrib who has contracted vissc :D
this is kinda what I meant earlier.

fallensaviour

OH DEAR GOD ITS A TORRIE IN HORRID FORM RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

Krysia

Quote from: Ixy on July 30, 2011, 04:11:28 PM
this is kinda what I meant earlier.

I wouldn't of allowed it anyway. Goes with that whole power gaming thing. :)

Starlequin

Seeing as this seems be drawing a lot of interest from WoD vets (and as a near-total newbie, I have no idea what the hell a lot of those references mean), I'm gonna go ahead and withdraw my interest. Hope your game goes well.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Ixy

Starlequin-- may I suggest that you don't give up on it just yet?  It's quite possible that you might enjoy it even more that way.  The game works great for those who know little about the setting, and all this chatter about rare clans and such is really not what the game will necessarily involve.  Part of the fun of the game is learning it from the inside... I remember my first GOOD larp, I knew almost nothing about the game, so I played an independent.  I knew that there was a power structure, and I knew the basic rules (don't make enemies, be polite, introduce myself to my high-ranking clan members and visit the prince).  I had the best damn time because I was making out in the bathroom with someone who, unknown to me, was a hunter in disguise and tried to kill me :D  My character barely survived, but when I told my clan they hauled me around and introduced me to the Sheriff, the Keeper of Elysium, the Seneschal, the Prince, and I got to see "vampire justice" done to the hunters.  It was amazingly fun and I learned it in-game, the way it was really intended.

fallensaviour

hmm...is there like a form one has to fill out to make out with ixy in a bathroom?

also, it makes for a better learning experience, especially with a fresh turned character

Krysia

My first experience with vtm was with a friend of mine who had me play a 13th gen. God my character (torrie whore) got creamed by the prince in the city. This is also where I learned power gaming and why it's so bad. They guy who taught me the game was playing a 3rd gen toreador at the time. I had no clue that it was a bad thing. I didn't know what it was and well that only clan founders could be 3rd gen. So in the end I came out with a better knowledge of the game by being power gamed. Also the reason why I don't like it, it took the fun out of the game cause his character couldn't be beaten.

Jin

My first experiences in white wolf were a lot like that. I think it's much more fun to play a character over a long period of time and build them up instead of start off at the top

Sabriel

This is going to sound totally wrong :P

But my first game I was introduced to was Werewolf, which is not unusual in itself but the group that I joined to play and learn with where doing a Black Dog Black Spiral Dancer game.  So I was introduced to Werewolf from the other side of the coin, now it was a very mature game (And no it was not at all about erotic things or orgies which some seam to think the wyrm is all about) and I think in a sense it was what made me see how storytelling could be done from any angle and that just because you can do things or introduce certain elements does not mean you should do them because the fit and make sense.  It was a very weird game but it was also one of the most memorable and enjoyable games I have done, I also don't like and never had much of the "Evil" obsessed character drive to me characters are characters and well I try go with what makes sense. Ive never thought that playing weird stuff or antagonist type characters was a great idea, a lot of things in white wolf I sort of look at and think those are not really meant for play or they are but only under specific conditions.   

I totally agree with what Krysia said about the whole balance of creatures, there is differences between things and some can cause problems. But then the games are designed more to be focused on one particular type at time not massive crossover games, each game has its own themes and stories and works well with certain elements better than others.  A good storyteller can easily work with those balances too, and they are not as of kilter as everyone would make out there often exaggerated.  You just have to use some common sense and be clever about things, vampires are not weak they live forever and can learn powers that are amazing and yet cause no real problem for them, where as Mages pay a price for there powers and can suffer for them and there also mortal and far more squishy than a vampire.  Werewolves are not a tough as everyone likes to think they are as well, they can be just as squishy as mortals even without the use of Silver.  It is all about roleplaying and storytelling in the end as well and well I don't know about other Storyteller's but personally when I ST a game I take care of balance issues and such and don't let them spoil the story, I certainly don't sit there flicking through books looking for the "badest" antagonist that could rip things to shreds or outclass them and then shoehorn the players into facing it without any chance :P  Life does not work like that, the best does not mean the best there are always possibilities and ways in which the meek may triumph over the mighty. I mean that is the whole point of the Masquerade, Veil etc to stop that hehe hello major game theme :P

If the games where called as some few people think of them or portray them I often think it would be more like such...

Vampire: The Evil Emo , Werewolf: The Furry Death Monkeys, Mage: The Abuse of systems, Demon: Actually I am an Angel and nice really, the time and torment spent in hell had no effect on me at all and I smell of cookies!, Hunter: Did we really need new rules for more of us, Changeling: Lets pretend it really is the World of Disney Yay, Wraith: Why does everyone always forget about me.     

But then without them really would not be as fun because we have nothing to laugh at or roll our eyes, one persons poison is another's medicine afterall ::)

Personally I always feel its never the game(s) its who you play it with everyone is looking for different things so its best to find those who think alike and like the same things. Hehe often with WOD there are several factions and ideas on those things lots of people view and see the games differently :-)

Senti

If I can put in my tuppence worth?  I have been playing WoD for years, (Goodness we still have the first ed soft back of Vampire and werewolf…and a bunch of others but that’s by the by.

As a RL group at the moment we play a lot of games including NWoD. However something comes through in our gaming it is that the majority of these supernatural creatures were once human. So they had jobs like being a binman … a postman…an office worker…a salesman…a bus driver or cab driver…a stay at home mum …a cleaner… Need I go on? Often I find folks want to play ‘cool’ characters, to be honest in my opinion it’s actually a lot of fun playing characters like this rather than starting out as ‘special’.

Still that’s my tuppence worth.

Think of a demon that was a school janitor that watched crap daytime TV, mixed with that was a call centre PC aid that gamed all night and peed in a bucket so not to miss anything, and the bus driver that was divorced and had no money as well as other issues. It was a really fun game in a very dark way.

As you see I think some normality works really well in WoD.

Sabriel

QuoteThink of a demon that was a school janitor  that watched crap daytime TV

That right there is like the perfect concept image of the type of person I pictured when I first read the books and theme :P Just the sort of person who might like have the gap/hole whatever to allow a demon to claw there way in and take over.

I think Hunter lends itself well to the types of characters your suggesting too Senti, I mean that generally seams to be the theme it suggests too, but nobody usually goes with that. I always wanted to play an Old lady hunter who was more of a social and caring character and provided for others and well tried to help out younger hunters in her own way, odd concept I know hehe had this idea of her running a sort of safe house and like being all nosy and watchful arranging like community meetings and such keeping tabs twitching curtains.

But well thats not really on topic is it. 

How many people are you generally looking for Krysia ?

And any idea where you would set the story ?

:-)

Krysia

Quote from: Sabriel on July 31, 2011, 06:08:40 AM
How many people are you generally looking for Krysia ?

And any idea where you would set the story ?

:-)

I generally want to run with about 5-6 people. I've done a 15 man game before but well it ends up being a fight for attentions. I don't want to exclude anyone in the game at all and I feel a smaller group tends to do better mechanically cause each person can then help or hinder the team. Doing big huge groups tends to be a mad dash for me to answer questions and not move game on. I feel big groups work best for dungeon crawls.

I was thinking about placing the game in Maryland. Or in New York some where. I know the 2 states pretty well and both have very good areas for both urban and rural settings.

RubySlippers

My two cents I have the basic rules for VtM, none for werewolf and access to the Sorceror rules which is not true magic so often have fun doing the static (tech sorceror) insert vampire clan combo when I can the Tremere that gasp actually can make those cool border of the science gadgets over blood magic. I did one that had magic resistance but since static sorcery is technology based and not really true magic got around that. Still the other Tremere looked on the character like a amateur and not a real mage but she did invent lots of cool things and understood science at the cutting edge.

So if I did this I want to have fun with some leeway in creation so I can think outside the box somewhat.

Altair1983

Well id love to play a werewolf game especially if fera are opened up for play. Though VTM will be cool and im game for cam, sabbat independent or anarch. Just I wont be evil if we play an independent based game and ill refrain from playing my favorite clan so we dont have to worry about it being a path sin to diablerize everyone who isnt in the clan/ on this path.

Sabriel

QuoteI was thinking about placing the game in Maryland. Or in New York some where. I know the 2 states pretty well and both have very good areas for both urban and rural settings.

Neat, I can't say I am really familiar with those places myself but thats not usually a problem sound like great places for setting too :)  I have been in games set in New York before, and I was err..well "involved" in a chat based in a city in the state of Maryland so I kinda am a bit familiar with that in some ways.  Hehe I barely know my own home town that well thougth so I doubt it would cause problems for me, unless I was intended to play some sort of tour guide or such  :P

5-6 people seams a good number too, I have worked with more myself also on chats but it does tend to work far better when you have a regular fixed group and number.

On the subject and mention of Fera I thought I better express my odd attitude and view on this, I love Fera but I am rather peculiar about getting involved in games (especially werewolf) if the have a too oddly mixed cast. Mostly this is due to the fact if you have like just a few Garou and some Fera there is likely not much of a pack and well some unusual elements about, It is a bit like deciding to do a Sabbat game and the 4 of the players decide that instead of playing Sabbat they want to play another thing it takes away that pack element which is well one thing that makes the Sabbat neat. If it makes sense then I can easily go with it but if Kitsune/Eastern Fera start turning up in America randomly, start hanging about with Garou I tend to wonder what the hell is going on. I am a girl who mostly likes to stick to the theme, I like to do pack based games or Fera based games and then indulge in those themes not really into the whole combine a hodgepodge mix of multiple themes and thing's other than if its an Eastern game where that is the sort of theme of the beast courts :P.  So while I might accept a pack of like mostly Bone Gnawers having a Ratkin friend who hangs about with them etc, I might not view others in the same way and well any mention of Rokea or Nagah as PC's is liable to make me loose total interest unless the whole game is centered around them rather than Garou. 

Senti

Krysia

Quote from: Sabriel on August 01, 2011, 06:37:28 AM
Neat, I can't say I am really familiar with those places myself but thats not usually a problem sound like great places for setting too :)  I have been in games set in New York before, and I was err..well "involved" in a chat based in a city in the state of Maryland so I kinda am a bit familiar with that in some ways.  Hehe I barely know my own home town that well thougth so I doubt it would cause problems for me, unless I was intended to play some sort of tour guide or such  :P

5-6 people seams a good number too, I have worked with more myself also on chats but it does tend to work far better when you have a regular fixed group and number.

On the subject and mention of Fera I thought I better express my odd attitude and view on this, I love Fera but I am rather peculiar about getting involved in games (especially werewolf) if the have a too oddly mixed cast. Mostly this is due to the fact if you have like just a few Garou and some Fera there is likely not much of a pack and well some unusual elements about, It is a bit like deciding to do a Sabbat game and the 4 of the players decide that instead of playing Sabbat they want to play another thing it takes away that pack element which is well one thing that makes the Sabbat neat. If it makes sense then I can easily go with it but if Kitsune/Eastern Fera start turning up in America randomly, start hanging about with Garou I tend to wonder what the hell is going on. I am a girl who mostly likes to stick to the theme, I like to do pack based games or Fera based games and then indulge in those themes not really into the whole combine a hodgepodge mix of multiple themes and thing's other than if its an Eastern game where that is the sort of theme of the beast courts :P.  So while I might accept a pack of like mostly Bone Gnawers having a Ratkin friend who hangs about with them etc, I might not view others in the same way and well any mention of Rokea or Nagah as PC's is liable to make me loose total interest unless the whole game is centered around them rather than Garou.

The only way I'd ever allow Fera in say a werewolf game is if I was doing something with the beast courts. They seem to be a bit more tolerant to them then the western garou. Sure they could have maybe a ratkin or a corax to go to as a "contact" but they wouldn't be members of the pack.

As far as the poll I have going up at the top of the thread it says so far people want a cub type werewolf game.

Sabriel

QuoteThe only way I'd ever allow Fera in say a werewolf game is if I was doing something with the beast courts. They seem to be a bit more tolerant to them then the western garou. Sure they could have maybe a ratkin or a corax to go to as a "contact" but they wouldn't be members of the pack.

Yeah that is my sort of view, it does tend to complicate things and its bit different from a game and a chat environment.  Hehe Ratkin and Corax are the easiest ones to do and they do make great contacts, I remember fondly a fellow PC "Official Sept" Corax in a story I was in once well at least that was what she called herself  the Garou obviously thought a bit differently :P

I do think a cub type game would be neat too, although I am pretty sure so far any other kind of game conceived through this will be neat also.

fallensaviour

Krysia

Quote from: fallensaviour on August 01, 2011, 10:53:09 PM
so since it looks like we're doing werewolf, how's this look

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/5695

A cub game would mean bare minimum for starting. You wouldn't have rank at all. That and I haven't even posted up character creation yet. If you're a ragabash and just changed your rage wouldn't be 4. You wouldn't have gifts and you sure as heck wouldn't have fang daggers to start with either.

fallensaviour

sorry, was made with base char gen rules...if we're going less than that...then ok

Sabriel

Are we decided on it being a cub game then ?

If so that is neat, if not well then I am probably still interested hehe

It sounds like you probably use the sort of guidelines for character creation that I would for such a thing, but I won't be making up a sheet until I know what you would like.  I will be pondering concept thougth and then seeing which may work and fit best with the story and group.

I do like the prospect of doing the whole rite of passage and of learning gifts and such for the first time, learning gifts is such a great potential for roleplaying often overlooked.  There is nothing quite so fun as trying to appease a spirit, quest for chiminage or even converse with it alone and learn a new trick.

Does anybody else have ideas of what auspices or such they would choose, it might be good idea to discuss among ourselves and figure out what we would have.  Would be neat to have the full range of auspices, I will probably try go for whatever seams to be missing if such is the case.

Krysia

I'm actually currently working on the creation rules for the game. I want to balance out the fact you won't have certain things like renown, gifts, certain backgrounds and well rage and gnosis also an issue at starters. I'm hoping to get them up and flowing with in the hour or so.

SomeGuy

If there's still enough room, I'd be interested in joining. Been a while since I've played oWoD though.