Are you ready for some football!?!?

Started by Caity, August 08, 2008, 08:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Furby

the ravens QB totally pulled a tom brady on that long drawn out pass play. I really like the ravens QB. I wonder if the giants will lose their next game.

Caity

It's the Jets' bye week, and I don't get the Packer game this week. Boo!

King_Furby

bears won again this week so i am happy about that. If chicago just lets orton play i think he could be one of the next great Qb's. he just needs time to get more experience.

LOL i gues Orton owns a pries however you spell the name of that hybrid car.

Caity

It's hard to be a Packers fan right now.  :P

Jineriq

I feel you Caity. It's hard to be a Vikings fan, too. At least your QB will be around for awhile and continue to get even better than he already is. Our choices at QB are just horrid.

MagicalPen

You Vikings would have done better to have picked up Chad Pennigton from Jets. At least he throws mostly completions. I'll take Peterson any day of the week though - need a feature back on my Jets to complement Favre.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Jineriq

But you've got Thomas Jones. Jones is no slouch, or at least, he wasn't when coupled with Cedric Benson. He's doing alright now though. Besides, once Faneca gets used to the offense that running game will really improve.

Peterson is all we have, besides a sometimes decent D-Line. He's the reason Vikings fans can hold their head up agian. You don't want to destroy all of our hopes and dreams, do you?

MagicalPen

Hopes and Dreams? Those died when Moss left the Vikings. Followed by Daunte (i think).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Jineriq

I was never a fan of either, to tell the truth. I'll take an aging Randall Cunningham over Culpepper anyday.

Speaking of Pennington, why is he now the cerebral quarterback we all knew he could be? What the last two years in New York that didn't happen in Miami? He should have been playing like this the whole time.

MagicalPen

Good question, honestly. The injuries didn't help, and since he got the boot, he has something to prove. Not to mention a pretty solid running game who have actually been able to produce. Of course, they haven't faced much stiff competition, and people just have to start stacking the box against he Dolphins (the whole 'i can only throw 10 yrds' thing).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Jineriq

He may not have a cannon, but he can put it where it's supposed to be. He's been fairly efficient. They beat the Chargers and the Pats at least. The schedules for some teams are ridiculously easy though, like the Giants. I can't believe they're considered number 1 after beating the Rams, Bengals, 1st Week Redskins and Seahawks. Those teams combine to 5-13 record. Now they get the Browns, who are 1-3. If they don't make the playoffs they need to be shot. That's probably the easiest first 5 games in the league.

Nell

How about them Colts? Somebody tell me that game against the Texans wasn't the most epic finish you've ever seen.

Will

The biggest thing working against the Giants is their division.  Dallas, Washington, Philly- anyone of them could take it, hypothetically, and you wouldn't have to lose too many games to drop out of wild card contention.  Although the Eagles are pretty much screwed without Westbrook.

And Pennington, well, it's way too early to judge him.  Sometimes a change of scenery/coworkers is all it takes to turn a guy around.  Maybe he just never fit in with the Jets, like an employee that hates his job and the people he works with.  Kind of like Eli Manning stepping up once Tiki and Shockey were gone, ya know?  Sometimes you just gotta get rid of the haters.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Jineriq

I think Philly will land on their feet. Buckhalter isn't that bad a running back and we've already seen that a healthy McNabb can throw a decent ball. Their rookie Jackson is looking like a pretty worthwhile pick, too. But you're right, they won't be half the team they could be without Westbrook. It's really his versatility that enables them to do so much, whether it be catching the ball or just running it on the ground.

I'm not saying Pennington is the greatest, or claiming he should make the Pro Bowl, I'm just saying that he's been doing far better this year than in years passed. I think you're right about a different environment, but I can't judge the future of Pennington just like I can't judge the future of the Giants or the rest of the NFC East. He looks good right now, is all I'm saying.

MagicalPen

He had the same sort of numbers with the Jets though. Has always had one of the highest completion percentages in the league. He just isn't a deep threat despite his accuracy. The Dolphins run game, apart from in the game against the Jets, has been pretty dominant. Look what it did to the Pats. I think they've had time to click, so things should be close between the Bills, Fins, and Jets this year.

Giants/Eagles/Skins/Dallas...will be fun to watch. I think all 4 will be over .500 this season, and 2 (maybe even 3) won't even make the playoffs. So far, you've got to count the Giants and Skins in, and the Cowboys/Giants and Eagles/Giants games are going to be epic. Should be fun to watch, at any rate. Breakout year for the Giants/Eli? The next 'Patriots Dynasty' (minus spy-gate).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Will

Man, yeah...I'm pulling for the Redskins.  I'm an Auburn fan, and our offense apparently has AIDS, so I'm really getting my kicks seeing Jason Campbell do well.  AND Carlos Rodgers!  Did you see him HANDLE T.O.?!  In your face, guy!  Ronnie Brown, too.  It's been a long time coming for him.

- Jack Kerouac

MagicalPen

I think Brown was injured last year? He was pretty impressive as a rookie. Haven't heard much from Ricky Williams, who is another powerhouse if he is anything like he was before going, er, hippy on everyone?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Jineriq

Brown has been consistently great though. This first three games of last season he led the league in total yards and had more TDs than anyone else. I think there might have been a little Cam Cameron in there to help him out, but he's been great this year. Williams, though, has been fairly silent since his return. They wanted him to do well, but he's no Ronnie Brown.

Carlos Rodgers is fantastic. The Redskins secondary is truly phenomonal, especially when you also have Shaun Springs on the other side. Washington just needs Taylor to get healthy so they can get a little bit of a pass rush. Campbell has been doing very well, also. He's brought back the threat of having Santana Moss and Cooley is even benefiting from him. In their first game I got worried, but he's lights out right now.

MagicalPen

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with the Skins vs Giants game. Thought it would dictate rest of season for Skins, but apparently i've already been proven wrong on that account. Makes the division all the more challenging this year.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Jineriq

What's even more scary about the Redskins is that they already played all their away games for the division. That means the next time they play those teams, they'll be at home with their own fans in the stands, and might just run the table. I think a sweep and playoff spot for them, over everyone else, is the highest probability.

MagicalPen

At this point in the season, I think I might have to agree with you on that one. Giants haven't faced a real opponent yet, so until they get the Cowgirls, erm, Cowboys and the Eagles, we might not know.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Caity

Will

Yeah, Brown has always been good, but he has yet to go en entire season without a serious injury.  And even as he was racking up stats, they were stilll losing.  I would imagine that's more important to most players than personal achievement.  (I don't know though, maybe not.)

I knew Campbell would do well this year with Zorn, he played in a West Coast system in college, and went undefeated in the process.  Woot!  War Eagle!

Go Titans!!!

- Jack Kerouac

Jineriq

I think that's a hilarious prank. Go Brett Favre.

I think you're right, Will. Team stats and a Super Bowl Ring are always above your own motives. Unless you're Terrell "Team Obliterator" Owens.

Will

Yeah, screw him.  It's funny to see him back to his old ways- dropping balls and blaming others for it. ::)  *stops his Dallas tirade before it starts, to avoid offending any lurking Cowboys fans*

- Jack Kerouac