News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Camarilla and LARPing in General

Started by LunarSage, April 16, 2012, 08:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

I see.  So it's useful, but nowhere near as useful as it was before... bummer.  I have a Gangrel who none of the Backgrounds seem to fit for and I have to spend 5 in BGs.  I mean I could take it all in Retainers and have some animal ghouls, but I can't seem to find the stats for them.  I was thinking a wolf and a great arctic owl.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

TheGlyphstone

Bah. Join the cool side, you get to forget about those stupid Backgrounds and get a free 4th dot of your Disciplines instead. :D

Quote from: Silverfyre on May 29, 2012, 03:44:36 PM
Actually, there are several MC 15 members who are not on the BoD.  People have to nominate a person for it and we just had one rewarded to someone after SERE.  So, it does happen.

Interesting. Is it a permanent appointment, or temporary, like an MC14 player taking on an office that gives an MC bump?

Silverfyre

Yeah, pretty much.  Last chronicle, players were abusing it to learn all sorts of Disciplines that did not make sense but most people are not very happy with it at the moment.  I am sure it will change with time so people will invest into it once more.  Hm, how about Influence or Herd for said Gangrel?  Transportation Influence goes a long way for the roving Gangrel.

It is a permanent appointment from what I remember.

LunarSage

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 29, 2012, 03:51:07 PM
Bah. Join the cool side, you get to forget about those stupid Backgrounds and get a free 4th dot of your Disciplines instead. :D

*smirks*

Hey I'm -running- the cool (Sabbat) side now.   ;D

There's something to be said for getting to play rather than ST for the session, though.  :P

*Really hopes the new rule goes into play for my character in the June Cam/Anarch game this next Saturday*

We have a good chunk of MC 7+ characters in our domain, so it's easy for Neonates to get left behind around here.

Quote from: Silverfyre on May 29, 2012, 03:52:18 PM
Yeah, pretty much.  Last chronicle, players were abusing it to learn all sorts of Disciplines that did not make sense but most people are not very happy with it at the moment.  I am sure it will change with time so people will invest into it once more.  Hm, how about Influence or Herd for said Gangrel?  Transportation Influence goes a long way for the roving Gangrel.

Well he's a pretty feral Gangrel, so I can't see him having any actual Influences.  I heard there was a book with animal stats for MET in it.  Do you guys know which one it is?

Silverfyre

I believe it is the "Storyteller's Handbook/Guide".

Silverfyre

Actually, apparently even animals are made with the following stats from the addendum:

"Retainers

Each of a vampire’s Retainers dedicated to increasing her Influences maximum increases it by three levels rather than just one level. They may have an unlimited number of such retainers.
    If a character sheet is needed for a Retainer, create it with 6-4-3 Attributes, five Ability Traits, three Humanity Traits, and 1 Willpower Trait. For each additional Background Trait spent on a particular Retainer, add five Experience Traits to its character sheet (to a maximum of four additional Background Traits, or twenty Experience Traits). A Retainer sheet is created by the approving ST for the character, not the player and should represent a individual who has realistic traits. Ghouls and Revenant Retainers always start with one trait of Potence and may be created with additional Disciplines.
    Retainers may take Derangements and Negative Traits to gain up to five Free Traits, but may not have Merits, Flaws, or Backgrounds (including Influence).
    The Retainer’s character sheet cannot have anything on it that requires approval above Low Approval.
    Retainers do not gain Experience Traits in the course of play. Retainers may be humans or Ghouls (or Common Wraiths where allowed) for no additional cost. These Retainers do not need to purchase the Merits typically required to be Ghouls (or Wraiths).
    Wraith Retainers for Non-Giovanni: Top Approval."

TheGlyphstone

The only animal stats I know of is the Reptile Buddy in the Nos clanbook, since Libre De Ghoul isn't sanctioned for live play. And Reptile Buddy makes me sad...it's a 8-foot albino alligator ghoul, bought with 3 merit dots, that loses on ties to a 1-dot human retainer.

LunarSage

Wouldn't animal ghouls have "powers" that human ghouls wouldn't have?  Like claws, teeth, flight, increased speed, heightened senses, etc?  How best to reflect that on a ghoul sheet?

O.O

Glyph are you serious?  That merit gives you a wickedly statted beast in tabletop. 

Silverfyre

Well, it pretty much boils down to what your ST gives you since they are the ones to make the retainers. Work with your ST on what you want and it should be fine.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LunarSage on May 29, 2012, 04:12:18 PM
Wouldn't animal ghouls have "powers" that human ghouls wouldn't have?  Like claws, teeth, flight, increased speed, heightened senses, etc?  How best to reflect that on a ghoul sheet?

O.O

Glyph are you serious?  That merit gives you a wickedly statted beast in tabletop.

Serious.
7 Physical traits
0 Social traits
2 Mental Traits
Potence 2, Fortitude 2
Blood Pool 12, Willpower 3
No abilities, so he loses on ties to someone with 8 physicals (humans can have 10) and his only retest is Might. So a 2-dot retainer can wipe the floor with him.

As for animal powers, I think the answer is 'you don't. Buy them Auspex 1 out of clan for the senses, I guess, but your birds will have to be flightless.

LunarSage

Well it's the 2nd and I have heard nothing more about the addendum revision.  Has anyone else heard anything?

Star Safyre

My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, they're delaying everything till July 1st now.

Silverfyre

Some of the RSTs raised some issues on the experience point give-away and it is being brought up to the board apparently.

Star Safyre

The concerns I'm hearing is that the XP given would be too much and that this a misguided attempt to fix a ST problem by throwing points at it.  I can see the argument that it's too much at once.  A hundred XP is about a year and a half's worth of play time.  How do you justify that kind of sudden development IC?  How is that going to affect character concepts?  How are newer players, how might be having issues understanding their character's abilities as they are now, going to struggle with such a powerful character?  If the issue is imbalance between new characters and long-standing ones (as in PvP problems) or integrating lower powered characters into ongoing plot, those are problems related to ST and stories, and should be solved with good ST skills, not a mechanics band-aid.  I want to be excited for free XP, but I'm starting to agree that it might cause more problems than it solves.

LunarSage

Well according to our local source (ie the guy who pays the most attention to the lists in our domain), the addendum will be as follows starting in July.

"Longevity: All new characters start with 3 xp per month of chronicle. Chronicle started on June 1, 2010. All existing characters with less than 75 earned experience points earn enough experience on June 1, 2012 to bring them up to 75 earned experience points. This bonus experience does not count towards the experience earned by the character in June 2012."

LunarSage

Oooh, also check out the other changes...

"Projectile: Replace the text of Projectile with the text found below: When making a ranged attack, you may spend 1 blood to activate projectile. If your attack does damage, it does an additional level of damage. If your attack did bashing damage, convert all bashing to lethal."

Oh HELL YES!  Projectile is suddenly a very cool power!

"Fortitude: 

The effects of Resilience and Resistance are automatic. There is no test associated with the use of these powers.

Aegis: Replace the text of the power with the following: At any time you may spend 1 temporary willpower or 3 temporary stamina based physical traits to choose a target. Reduce all damage that target would inflict on you to zero. Once invoked, Aegis lasts until the beginning of the next everyman action."

That's pretty cool, I suppose.  Makes Aegis not quite so all powerful but I'll be more willing to use it now.

"Potence:  Puissance: Weapons do not break when used for their intended purpose with this power."

O.O

Wow.

"Burning Wrath [Clanbook Brujah]: Every activation of this power lasts for one scene instead of a single attack."

Wow, that combo power might finally be useful.

TheGlyphstone

Wow, Fortitude 3 and 4 are no longer simply speedbumps on the way to Aegis. Aegis is nerfed a bit, but that always seemed a little odd to me anyways to have a retroactive healing power.

Puissance change = good, no more golf bags filled with greatswords.

Silverfyre

Fortitude 3 and 4 were always useful, even with the tests.  Spend a trait and win on ties as well, avoid a level of damage.  They have effectively made all levels of Potence save for Puissance useless against any one with Fortitude.  Mortals effectively have almost no way of damaging a character with Fortitude on a one-on-one level of combat, let alone in mob combat and the way they are talking about "selective relenting".  It's a bit of a mess and I hope it all gets sorted out.

Also, the Book of Nod being "freely available"? That's more harmful to the IC flavor of the game than it is worth. 

Star Safyre

The Book of Nod available freely?  Wow... That's just about kills the Masquerade.

TheGlyphstone

Eh, not really. If it says 'Scientology' on the front, the Ventrue could sell copies of the Book of Nod in every major bookstore without threatening the Masquerade. ;D
[/joke]

Book of Nod...unrestricted......Whut.

Trieste

I'm really glad someone's gotten some good use out of the Cam. >.< I tried playing in a local chapter in Florida and it was awful. I spent a lot of time writing up my character, and then spent the next three sessions sidelined when someone used all their points (or whatever) to make a combatty Brujah that took up all of the time with combat.

I wasn't playing a combat character. :/

Silverfyre

Well, we went through something similar and stayed away for two years.  Some good friends got us to come back and well, after moving to our current domain, we've had nothing but good things to say and experience.  It really depends on the local players and the type of venues you are involved in.  We run some combat games, mostly social ones though.  Pity you had such a rough experience with it, Trie.

Trieste

I had a fantastic time with the troupe game I played before that, and I enjoyed my time with OWBN. I just spent most of my Cam games sort of having a semi-IC conversation with the only other new person there, my roomie. I tried to feel out the local chapter when I moved up here but it was less than inviting. I may have just hit bad Cam chapters, but I'll admit they left a sour taste in my mouth.

Silverfyre

I know how you feel there.  We went to a convention in Gainesville and the local gang up there was all "Old Boys Club" and pretty snobbish.  It's why we mostly stick to our domain and the ones surrounding it, all of which have some pretty nice people.