News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Camarilla and LARPing in General

Started by LunarSage, April 16, 2012, 08:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

Is anyone else here a member?  What venues do you play?  What's your MC?  When did you join? 

(Obviously, no one post their member number here as that would give anyone information about your actual identity.)

I play Cam/Anarch and Sabbat.  I just joined in February (although I had the opportunity to join way back in 97, but I chose to pursue troupe games instead) and I'm already MC 3.  I should be MC 4 most of the way to MC 5 before next month.  I'm looking to become an Assistant domain storyteller and possibly eventually take over the duties of domain coordinator and Sabbat venue Storyteller.

I love that you can earn prestige by helping your community with volunteer work and charity drives.  It surprises me how completely into Cam I've gotten.  I use a deck of special cards instead of throwing rock/paper/scissors by hand... so far it's worked out great.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Silverfyre

Yes, I know we don't exactly see eye to eye on a lot of things but I had to weigh in on the Camarilla and LARPing as I am also a member.  Welcome aboard! I hope you are enjoying yourself so far :)

Both Star and I have been members since 2007.  I currently am the DST for our domain down here in SE region of the United States and I also run our Sabbat venue as the VST.  I play Changeling NWOD, Sabbat, Cam/Anarch, Geist and we do a few troupe games as well, with Mortals and Garou (OWoD venues, again).  My current MC level is 9 with the DST loan.  Gotta love that loan system!

I think the fact that it is a not-for-profit gaming organization and charity now that they broke away from White Wolf is awesome. The club has gone through some extensive restructuring lately but it is back into the hands of the players and has shaped up rather nicely, if you ask me.  The community aspect of it is great. 

Star Safyre

MC 6 here!  I of course play in all the venues the mister above me here does.  I was involved in troupe games for about ten years prior (give or take a couple of dead spots), the Cam having a bit of a bad reputation as being all kill-boxes and being more roll play than role-play.  I joined at first just to play nWoD Changeling, which lasted for about a year, and then I renewed my membership and have been a happy Cammy since oWoD was reinstated.

Our local games are awesome, and I enjoyed the role-play that I am able to take part in online (my limited free time being the major limiting factor).  I'm actually looking forward to the next chronicle and the ability to play any WW game, at the very least locally.  It'll be nice to have our troupe Apocalypse game official, seeing how we're all Cammies playing it anyway.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

TheGlyphstone

Mind's Eye Society, thankyaverymuch. ;D Or, if you prefer, The Roleplaying Club Formerly Known As Camarilla.

MC4, about to hit MC5, been playing since 2008 or so. It's only NuVamp and OldVamp locally, though I enjoyed Mage and Changeling while they lasted locally.

Also, argh - two 'Fyres' in one thread, will be confusing.

Silverfyre

...do you play a Nosferatu antitribu by chance?

Star Safyre

And I felt the totally self-indulgent urge to share that VtM was the first role-playing experience I ever had. 

Has anyone made it to a regional event?  We made it to SERE and GM so far, but I don't think we're up for traveling farther than that.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Silverfyre on April 16, 2012, 07:03:10 PM
...do you play a Nosferatu antitribu by chance?

Me? Actually, yes I do. Why? ???

Silverfyre

I think I play your sire, Jasper Chamberlain.

TheGlyphstone

...well holy crap. Small world, ain't it? ;D

Noddists represent, yo.

Star Safyre

Such a beautiful reunion... *wipes eyes*

I actually play the character at the bottom of that lineage.  Like bottom of the watery barrel bottom.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Star Safyre on April 16, 2012, 07:42:25 PM

Such a beautiful reunion... *wipes eyes*

No, I think it's more like the scene in Fight Club where the Narrator goes to a restaurant and sees the waiter with a black eye from the previous night's fighting.

Silverfyre

I thought the email address you used looked familiar but chalked it up to coincidence.  Funny how that works out, eh?  Too awesome!

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, using the same email/forum handle everywhere I go will probably eventually come back to bite me - probably when I'm trying to get a job and the interviewer turns out to be someone I had a failed RP with on here or something, but I'm too lazy to come up with a new one by now.

Silverfyre

Heh, I am the same way with working "Silverfyre" into my email addresses and what not.  I can see that job interview.

"Wait, didn't you play that Nosferatu at SERE?  The one who puked on me in front of Conclave?"

"...yes?"

"Well then, you just lost your Acknowledged status and have earned the negative status trait "Continual Unemployment".  Have a nice day!"

Star Safyre

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 16, 2012, 07:44:12 PM
No, I think it's more like the scene in Fight Club where the Narrator goes to a restaurant and sees the waiter with a black eye from the previous night's fighting.

True.  We are talking about the Sabbat here.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Star Safyre on April 16, 2012, 07:49:05 PM
True.  We are talking about the Sabbat here.

Well, I was thinking more with the analogy of two completely unrelated social circles/environments you wouldn't ever expect to overlap, but you've got a good point there too.

Callie Del Noire

I joined REALLY early on...when it was first announced. Then couldn't find anyone to play in the area..then joined the navy and never got into it. Naturally six weeks after basic a branch showed up in the Charlotte area

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 16, 2012, 08:17:01 PM
I joined REALLY early on...when it was first announced. Then couldn't find anyone to play in the area..then joined the navy and never got into it. Naturally six weeks after basic a branch showed up in the Charlotte area

You don't still live in that area, do you? Because that would be one too many freaky coincidences than I could handle right now, since my Sabbat PC is currently on a proxy to Charlotte.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 16, 2012, 08:52:24 PM
You don't still live in that area, do you? Because that would be one too many freaky coincidences than I could handle right now, since my Sabbat PC is currently on a proxy to Charlotte.

Sorry.. no longer live in the Carolinas.. too little in the job market and violates my iron clad '1/2 day' rule.

TheGlyphstone

Phew. Like I said, that would have been too many coincidences to handle in one dose.

LunarSage

Quote from: Silverfyre on April 16, 2012, 11:13:14 AM
Yes, I know we don't exactly see eye to eye on a lot of things but I had to weigh in on the Camarilla and LARPing as I am also a member.  Welcome aboard! I hope you are enjoying yourself so far :)

Both Star and I have been members since 2007.  I currently am the DST for our domain down here in SE region of the United States and I also run our Sabbat venue as the VST.  I play Changeling NWOD, Sabbat, Cam/Anarch, Geist and we do a few troupe games as well, with Mortals and Garou (OWoD venues, again).  My current MC level is 9 with the DST loan.  Gotta love that loan system!

I think the fact that it is a not-for-profit gaming organization and charity now that they broke away from White Wolf is awesome. The club has gone through some extensive restructuring lately but it is back into the hands of the players and has shaped up rather nicely, if you ask me.  The community aspect of it is great.

Right on.  We're in the East Central Region, ourselves.  I never got into the new WoD setting, myself, although I do like the system.  It's funny you should mention the Sabbat thing.  Truth be told I'm considering taking over our local Sabbat VST position at some point.  I do love the Sabbat.  In fact, Josi and I actually met in '99 in one of the html chat Sabbat games on white-wolf.com (before they shut down all the old WoD chats). 

I've been trying to get her to come to a game and at least check it out.  She's promised to at least watch and see if she'd like it, but she had a bad experience with a troupe LARP game back in Washington State (the game was -full- of drama and cliques), so she's leery of it.  The Cam (yeah I still call it the Camarilla) seems to have cracked down on that sort of crap since the early days.  I'm very pleased with our venue/domain.  Everyone is very nice and understanding, especially to new players. 

Apparently, although I'm new to Cam I've impressed some people with my knowledge of the setting.  People want me to ST or at least assist.  I need to get the system down first, though.  It shouldn't take long before I feel I'm ready.

Oh yeah, do you guys use your hand for the test (rock/paper/scissors) or do you use cards?  I use homemade laminated cards; three with rock, three with scissors and three with paper/bomb (since there's really no point in throwing paper if you have the bomb.  The bomb is defeated by scissors just like paper, but paper only defeats rock and ties with paper, whereas the bomb defeats both rock and paper).  Since there's a definite psychology to R/P/S using your hand that can exploited by some, the cards give it a true sense of randomness and makes it fair all around in my opinion.

Currently I play a Schismatic Assamite, a "Brujah" (Caitiff) Scholar and a Brujah Antitribu, though I plan on ditching my scholar next month once I have my MC 4 to make a 10th gen Gargoyle (High Approval but I'm confident that I can get it).

TheGlyphstone

Yay EC. Totally the best region.

I'm building up my ST-experience right now as aVST Sabbat, though I don't really do much except oversee chops when people need it.

Silverfyre

I've met some good players out in the EC region.  We've been out in the SE region since joining the Cam and Florida is a really, really active state for LARPers and Cammies in general.  It's great.  We're in one of the smaller regions but a twelve-fifteen player game is pretty good as far as I'm concerned, especially with being the DST out here.  Heh.

Sabbat is my favorite venue as well, hence why I took over the VST position.  Aside from our Garou troupe game, it is our most popular venue.  We stopped LARPing for about two years with the Cam because of a bad gaming experience (again, drama and the like) but got talked back into it by a good friend who is also a Cammie (I'm going to call it Cam too as it is just what it will always be to me, so I feel you there!) and the offending ST had been dealt with.  The guy basically told Star she couldn't play a tom-boy character concept because he wanted more "feminine women" in his game.  The guy was a real asshole.

I've been playing White Wolf games since '96 so yeah, I have a handle on the system and the setting.  World of Darkness remains one of my favorites and they have done a lot of neat stuff with NWoD even, although I will always like OWoD better.

If I remember my deck (much the same as yours, save I picked it up at a con a few years back), I use it.  My players can apparently read me like a book and I lose...constantly. It's hilarious, really.  Heh.

And good luck on getting your Gargoyle approved.  I find that bribing RSTs with liquor helps.  Then again, mine is a local player so I can torment his characters in the Sabbat venue in retaliation for no approvals.  Heh.

Star Safyre

Quote from: Silverfyre on April 17, 2012, 10:34:54 AM
The guy basically told Star she couldn't play a tom-boy character concept because he wanted more "feminine women" in his game.  The guy was a real asshole.

That and he tried to completely rewrite my sheet, not because anything was wrong with my point count but because I hadn't "optimized" the character.  So not only did he try to stuff my character into the gender roles he wanted but also insulted by ability to build a character in the first place.  Guh... he was an ass.

Good luck on the Gargoyle approval!  I've only been able to interact with one so far this chronicle, and he was alright.  I'd certainly like to see more flying around. *da-dum chick!*

My current Cam characters are a 14th generation Nosferatu Pander on the Path of Lilith, an old Confederate widow Anarch who's the Vox Populi of the Movement (or whatever they're calling it now), an Independent Daughter of Cacophony, and my changeling is a Summer Court Draconic who is the badest-ass kung-fu unicorn ever (or so she thinks).

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Star Safyre on April 17, 2012, 03:11:54 PM
That and he tried to completely rewrite my sheet, not because anything was wrong with my point count but because I hadn't "optimized" the character.  So not only did he try to stuff my character into the gender roles he wanted but also insulted by ability to build a character in the first place.  Guh... he was an ass.

Good luck on the Gargoyle approval!  I've only been able to interact with one so far this chronicle, and he was alright.  I'd certainly like to see more flying around. *da-dum chick!*

My current Cam characters are a 14th generation Nosferatu Pander on the Path of Lilith, an old Confederate widow Anarch who's the Vox Populi of the Movement (or whatever they're calling it now), an Independent Daughter of Cacophony, and my changeling is a Summer Court Draconic who is the badest-ass kung-fu unicorn ever (or so she thinks).

And people wonder why we sometimes have trouble getting women to join our hobbies....

I've only got 2 active characters myself - the 10th gen Sabbat Nos Antitribu that's Silverfyre's childe, and my Invictus Ventrue Macellarius in Requiem. Best. Bloodline. Ever. Even if I do need help getting into my costume.

Callie Del Noire

I'm getting very nostalgic seeing all this talk. Of course at least a couple of my gamers in the NC oWoD game played in that. :D

Silverfyre

I've got my Sabbat character, who is a 8th generation Nosferatu Antitribu computer hacker/Noddist who just might be a Black Hand member, a Brujah Anarch who is the prominent renegade childe of a high-profile Prince and is one of the diplomatic scholars of the Movement, and a Ravnos who was lured into the Setite cult after the Week of Nightmares.  Heh, I just got Road of Sin approved for him and it's been fun playing his corruption at the hands of a rogue Setite who believes Set is the incarnate of Chaos.  Toss in rebuilding the shattered mind of his broodmate/ex-lover and you have a really rocky road to role play.  It's a lot of fun.

TheGlyphstone

Jasper omnomnomed his way to 8th Gen? Congratulations. :)

Silverfyre

Yeah, I hit MC 9 a few months back and the opportunity came up during a Black Hand proxy.  The Dominion handed me the captive NPC and my character dragged her back to town.  The RST handed me a bib and said, "Bon appetit!"  It was amusing. 

LunarSage

So I'm apparently the ADST (Assistant Domain Storyteller) now, handling Influences for the domain.  I should hopefully also be taking up the mantle of AVST (Assistant Venue Storyteller) for our Sabbat game soon as well (love me some Sabbat).  I'm not sure if I can earn monthly prestige for both jobs but if I can, I sure won't turn the prestige down.  Not that I wouldn't help out even if I only earn prestige for one... but that would be some nice cake icing.  :-)

My goal is to reach MC 9 within 2 years or so.  Unlikely I know, but I'm gonna give it my all.

LunarSage

I was looking through my old files and found a bloodline I had created years ago for V:tM... the Scions of Khepera.  I should really elaborate on the background (as the one I wrote was very simplified), but I always thought it was an interesting idea.

I'm not sure how balanced the new discipline is, but it sure sounds cool to me.   ;D

The Scions of Khepera

In the days of the second city, there was a mortal man who lived out in the desert known as the Hermit of the Desert who would periodically come to the city to use it's library, being known as a man who thirsted for knowledge of any kind.  One of the childer of Set was conducting research in combining the blood of his clan and that of the Gangrel's to create something new that he and his sire could use to obtain more power.  In doing so, he kidnapped the Hermit as a mortal that no one would miss and subjected him to a great ritual involving the blood of a Gangrel and his own blood.  The result was the creation of a new vampire, though unlike any the world had seen before.  Before the Hermit could be used for the Settite's own ends, he escaped into the desert.  Afraid of what would happen if his sire discovered he had conducted the ritual only to let the Hermit escape, he went into the desert to find him.  The sand based abilities of the new vampire proved too much for the Settite to handle, however... the Hermit knew the desert well and in his own element with the desert at his beck and call, the Settite was quickly defeated and drained.  Now no one remained who even knew of the ritual.  After that, the Hermit never returned to the city, content to seek knowledge in his own secluded way.  To this day a small number of this bloodline exists, hidden in the deserts.

Disciplines: Auspex, Fortitude, Khepericus

Weakness: Any promise of new substantial knowledge requires a self control roll for the Scion to resist pursuing by any means necessary.

Clan Advantage: One free trait of Academics and Occult

Khepericus:

1st Basic: Path of the Sidewinder: The Cainite who uses this discipline is not hampered by sand in any way, and moves as though traveling on flat solid ground with no tests needed.  Use of this discipline also gives a free retest for traveling on any other tricky surface such as snow, ice, mud, ect.

2nd Basic: Sandmeld:
As Earthmeld but with sand.

1st Intermediate: Sahara's Blessing: A Cainite with this potent discipline may transform his entire body into soft sand.  While in this state, the Scion retains his humanoid shape and mobility, but most physical attacks do no damage whatsoever.  Knives and bullets pass harmlessly through his sandy body, but damage which disperses large portions of his body such as explosions will damage a Scion with this Discipline, though only dealing half damage (round up).  This may reduce a Scion to torpor until such time as he is able to recover and heal himself, gathering his sand particles back together.  Fire and Sunlight do normal damage, though fire can fuse the Scion's body to glass.  This power comes with one key weakness in that water deals unsoakable lethal damage based on it's volume, dissolving the sand.  A squirt from a cheap water pistol may deal 1 health level, while being hit by a garden hose would deal 3 health levels.  A hydrant stream or fire hose deals 5 health levels and total immersion in water deals 6 health levels a turn.  System: The Scion spends 3 blood points and makes a static mental test vs 9 traits.  Retest is Occult.

2nd Intermediate: Sandstone: As the Gargoyle Discipline Armor of Terra, but 1 blood point must be spent.  In addition, the Scion may spend an additional blood point to further solidify himeslf, gaining an armor rating equal to 1/2 his Khepericus rating (round down) usable against all forms of damage, even sunlight.  This additional use of the discipline however, only lasts one round per blood point spent.

Advanced: Passage of the Hourglass: The Scion may now manipulate his sandy form, traveling through keyholes, up walls, under doors, etc.  As well, the body or parts of his body may be manipulated into nearly any shape, and then hardened via Sandstone.  In this way, an arm could become a wicked blade of incredible hardness.  The player should make a static Mental test vs 9 traits with Occult as a retest.

Elder: Chariot of Horus: The Scion may stand on any amount of sand large enough for both feet to touch, and activate this discipline.  His body immediately turns into soft sand and collapses into a pile of mundane sand, while the Scion appears some distance away where there is more sand.  The Scion need not see his destination, for he can sense where a sufficient quantity of sand lays within range via this discipline, though he is not aware of what is around that sand.  The Scion spends a variable amount of blood points, making a static Mental test vs 12 traits and refers to the chart below.  Note that this discipline is hampered by large bodies of water.  A river would necessitate an extra two blood points, while a sea or large lake would require an extra 5 blood points.

1 BP: Up to 500 yards
2 BP: Up to 1 mile
3 BP: Up to 5 miles
4 BP: Up to 50 miles
5 BP: Up to 100 miles
*Each BP after the 5th adds 100 miles

Elias

Can you guys please explain what you're referencing, I am a table-topper and online forum rper and adore OWoD but you all seem part of a group I would love to join. If you have a link to this huge group (Barring its not something local and I have misunderstood) please info would be awesome.   ;D

TheGlyphstone

Well, unless you live on Mars or the Moon, it counts as 'local' (The Cam/MES is a global organization). :D

Main Website: http://www.midnightdance.org/
Prospective Players Page: http://www.midnightdance.org/prospective-players/

Elias

This purely LARP or is it across multiple venues?

TheGlyphstone

What do you mean by multiple venues?

In Cam-lingo, 'Venue' means the gameline that's being played. Currently, there are active chronicles of all the NWoD gamelines except Hunter and Promethean, plus OWoD Masquerade. After July of next year, there will also be an OWoD Apocalypse chronicle.

Star Safyre

Quote from: Elias on April 22, 2012, 01:52:05 PM
This purely LARP or is it across multiple venues?

From my understanding (but not my own personal experience), there's sanctioned games that are LARP and also some that occur via IRC.  I don't have any more information than that though.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Star Safyre on April 22, 2012, 02:07:15 PM
From my understanding (but not my own personal experience), there's sanctioned games that are LARP and also some that occur via IRC.  I don't have any more information than that though.

The Four Winds chapter is for the 'none of the above' players, I believe - people who live in really remote places too small to host a chapter of their own and too far from an established chapter to travel to games, and is purely IRC-based.

Aside from that, there are sanctioned games all over the place, and plenty of activity that takes place over email lists or via IRC channels.

Silverfyre

The IRC games are actually sanctioned games as well and are not just part of the "Four Winds" venue.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Silverfyre on April 22, 2012, 02:25:36 PM
The IRC games are actually sanctioned games as well and are not just part of the "Four Winds" venue.

I didn't mean to imply that. House of Four Winds is a legitimate domain of its own (I think its theoretical physical location is in New Jersey somewhere) - it's as sanctioned as any other recognized domain or chapter, the only difference is that its games are 100% IRC and the physical players behind its characters are all over the country.

EDIT: Yeah, it's Atlantic City, NJ.

Elias

OK so if there's nothing here there is still IRC rp. Great, thanks guys!

TheGlyphstone

Yup - . And as a bonus, if you find a local game to play in (or DotFW if you can't), you can probably talk some of us here into forging IC ties with your new PC.

Though it looks like the website's list of domains is offline...well, if you get approved, we can probably solve that via PM.

RecklessRapscallion

I wanted to get more involved in Owod Vamp/ Werewolf larp's but the ones that were in the city I was in were very exclusive and they either single outed my new characters or were heavily favored against staff. Werewolf got so bad to the point where game consisted of I show up, the largest pack which are all Bone Gnawers kidnap my character toss me in front of a mob they angered due to changing in front of humans and then when it comes to cracking of the bone I lost wisdom for calling them out. Vampire I played one of the few influence characters (I know right!? 0.o) everyone else were specced to just kick ass and the ST's would not let me do anything.

There is a separate larp group that does NWOD in my city and I have had the opposite issues, though one of the larps that goes on is badly run and claims to be open Sand-Box but they don't let you do anything. I had the most fun in a Mage The Awakening Larp, and I currently staff a Changeling: The Lost  LARP.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash Williams
O/O's - Under Construction

LunarSage

Apparently most of the corruption in Cam was weeded out.  Nowadays you can't bring your buddy or girlfriend in and have them get to play an elder just because you have a Storyteller position.  Yeah, that crap actually happened in days gone by.  Our domain is drama free and is very welcoming of new players.  In fact, there's an unwritten rule that says it's really not cool to screw over newer players.  We want them to come back, after all.

Star Safyre

I sometimes call out local game "the weenie brigade", not because of any unaligned ratio between guys and ladies, but because the majority of our local players have MC 4 or less.  There's, I think, maybe two players with an MC in the double digits, but most of our folks only joined up in the last two years.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LunarSage on April 28, 2012, 12:47:20 PM
Apparently most of the corruption in Cam was weeded out.  Nowadays you can't bring your buddy or girlfriend in and have them get to play an elder just because you have a Storyteller position.  Yeah, that crap actually happened in days gone by.  Our domain is drama free and is very welcoming of new players.  In fact, there's an unwritten rule that says it's really not cool to screw over newer players.  We want them to come back, after all.

As far as I can tell, it's the same thing around here. The MC system deals with the XP total/gen favoritism for the most part - there's still potential for approval-based favoritism, but that means making friends in high places, not just your local ST. A few of the people around here were playing back in the days of the 'dark Cam', and also say it used to be really bad but has been cleaned up over the years.

Our domain's actively trying to recruit new players because of our low game size, so we're trying to make it easy on them too. We've got an MC12, a couple of MC6's, and a whole bunch of people at MC4 or less. The US National Coordinator visits our game pretty regularly, but since he's from the domain next door, that doesn't count.

Silverfyre

What Lunar says is dead on.  (And by the way, I loved that bloodline you created.  Very neat and flavorful!)

The Camarilla or "Mind's Eye Society" actually has rules about new players and how they are to be treated.  They are in the membership handbook and each venue or game has what's called an "addendum".  Most of them have provisions for newer players and allows them six months to do a character re-write as they feel out the character and get experience with the gaming system.  It is actually really nice how it is being handled these days.

LunarSage

Quote from: Silverfyre on April 28, 2012, 01:01:52 PM
What Lunar says is dead on.  (And by the way, I loved that bloodline you created.  Very neat and flavorful

Thank you.  :-)

Ooooh by the way... I'm going to be STing my first Sabbat venue Cam LARP game on the 5th.  I need to make some NPC ghouls but I can't find a ghoul sheet creator that has the capacity for above 1st Intermediate Disciplines.  Can all Cam/Sabbat ghouls in MET have up to Advanced disciplines or is that just Revenants?

Silverfyre

Best of luck on your upcoming game.  It can seem daunting to ST for the first time but once you get in the swing of things, it goes quickly and can be a lot of fun.  As far as ghouls go, here is a link to the Ghouls Guide via the Cam wiki.  It is pretty much the "be all, end all" to ghoul creation for both PCs and NPCs.  The addendum says so.  Heh.

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Revised_Ghouls_Guide

Per the guide:

Learning Disciplines

QuoteIt costs 4 XP to learn a Basic Discipline, 8 to learn an Intermediate Discipline, and 12 to learn an Advanced Discipline. Ghouls may learn up to advanced Disciplines in their domitor's In Clan Disciplines.

Ghouls may only learn the basic levels (1-2) of Disciplines which are not in clan for their Domitor. Should the ghoul's domitor change to a domitor of a different clan, excess discipline dots are lost without a refund until such time as the Ghoul's Domitor once again possesses them as In Clan Disciplines.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LunarSage on April 29, 2012, 08:24:19 AM
Thank you.  :-)

Ooooh by the way... I'm going to be STing my first Sabbat venue Cam LARP game on the 5th.  I need to make some NPC ghouls but I can't find a ghoul sheet creator that has the capacity for above 1st Intermediate Disciplines.  Can all Cam/Sabbat ghouls in MET have up to Advanced disciplines or is that just Revenants?

According to the Revised Ghouls Guide, the document used for making all Cam/Sabbat sanctioned ghouls, Ghouls can have their Dormitor's in-Clan disciplines up to Advanced, and any others up to Basic. Similarly, Revenants can learn their family's disciplines up to Advanced, and any other discipline up to Basic with a teacher.

And...Silverfyre has more dots in Celerity than I do. ;D

Silverfyre

Elder levels of it... on the internet at least.  O8)

TheGlyphstone

And sadly, this is not the forum where I have Internet Vicissitude.  ;)

LunarSage

Thanks.  Any chance you guys know of any Excel/Open Office style creators that let you buy those disciplines to advanced for a ghoul?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LunarSage on April 29, 2012, 09:10:54 AM
Thanks.  Any chance you guys know of any Excel/Open Office style creators that let you buy those disciplines to advanced for a ghoul?

http://sheets.camarilla.ca/OWOD.php

The Ghouls Version 4.1 appears to follow all the most recent rules.

Silverfyre

Yes, you can use the one found in the link below that's labeled "Vampire the Masquerade - Ghouls, Version 4.1".  It allows the ghoul to purchase up to the Advanced level of his domitor's clan.

http://sheets.camarilla.ca/OWOD.php

Also, I highly recommend using Grapevine for all your OWoD needs.  It's an archaic but fantastic character and ST utility.

http://www.grapevinelarp.com/download.shtml

TheGlyphstone

Didn't see me lurking under Internet Obfuscate this time. :-)

Silverfyre

~Snickers~ My Internet Auspex sucks.

Besides, mentioning Grapevine made the post work so ha!

LunarSage

Silverfyre

LunarSage

Have any of you heard about this proposed new rule that may be going into effect on the 1st of June (if the higher ups can stop arguing about it that is)?

QuoteHello everyone,

As the provider of a massively multiplayer role playing game, MES has
obligations to its members. Storytellers are tasked with providing content
for high MC players, for low MC players, for PvE, for PvP, for 18 year olds
and the grandparents of 18 year olds. We have a diverse membership and
Storytellers are responsible for catering to all of them. Increasing the
diversity of our players is a goal of our organization - we continue to
recruit new players, young and old, and they bring with them the wealth of
their varied experiences and a passion for the acceptance and tolerance in
our organization (except on Masq-Rules, where we are intolerant as a matter
of principle).

This places a tremendous burden on local and administrative storytellers.
Local storytellers have to show new players how to play our variant of RPS,
how to differentiate between in and out of character, and how to immerse
themselves in a setting that, despite not growing in a decade (with the
obvious exception of V20), is more complex and expansive than the majority
of other IPs out there. While acting as a mentor, the local storyteller
still has to run an entertaining game for the more experienced players.
Similarly, administrative storytellers need to help new members understand
our wealth of settings documents, rules addenda, approvals, wiki pages, and
lists.

On top of all of this, we ask our storytellers to entice new players to play
disadvantaged concepts. A starting player can play an 11th generation
vampire with 5 xp from MC and 8 xp from the character creation document.
The most experienced PCs in our game are 6th generation, with 70 xp from MC,
8 xp from the character creation document, 10 xp from project manifold,
144 xp from going to games, and 20 xp from travelling to games of the month,
conventions, and Grand Masquerade. Convincing a new player to participate
with 13 xp when they may be interacting with characters that have 182 xp is
simply not fair.

This problem isn't confined to new players. When an old player loses a PC,
they could end up losing 96 xp from games and 20 xp from overcap.
Obviously, the point of the game isn't the power that can be wielded by
characters. However, camaraderie and affection is built when a player feels
as though their character is contributing. Such wild disparities between new
and established characters are not conducive towards bringing new players to
our game.

We aren't going to strip any experience points from the characters that
already exist. However, we are going to give our new players a chance to
make a meaningful contribution to the end of this chronicle, and get them
excited about the prospects of starting with us in our new one.

1. Longevity: All new characters enter play having earned 4 xp per month
of chronicle. Chronicle started on June 1, 2010. All existing characters
with less than 100 experience points earned from attending games earn
enough experience on June 1, 2012 to bring them up to 100 experience
from games. This bonus experience does not count towards the experience
earned by the character in June 2012.

There are no longer xp awards for characters who die - previously called
"longevity." This should put the chronicle into perspective for many of you.
After two years of game play, we're giving new characters 2/3 of the
experience from games that the rest of us have. The challenges our
storytellers have faced have been enormous. As experienced players, we
should do what we can to encourage the growth of our club and our chronicle
by helping our storytellers mentor new players.

Apparently a lot of folks are not happy about the idea, the most popular notion being that "Neonates shouldn't have stats like that".

To them I say this.

What's the difference between a freshly made neonate coming in with Advanced Disciplines and a neonate that's been played for a year or two having those same disciplines?  PCs earn xp at rates that don't make a whole lot of sense when you look at canon.  ie, if Bill's neonate earned three or four Disciplines to Advanced in two years, why did it take Sally's Elder a thousand years to do the same?  In D&D, why does an elf, who starts at 100+ years old have to begin at level one just like everyone else?  Then the party, including the elf reach level 20 in less than an in game year.  Does it make sense?  No.  However, that's how player characters work.  In any RPG, PCs are special.  Always have been.  They can, via earned xp accomplish things that take NPC elders centuries to do.  Complaining about this is silly in my opinion.  Honestly, if there's going to be arguments against this idea, they should at the very least be (in my opinion) arguments that have weight behind them.

TheGlyphstone

Frankly, the best argument I've seen against it is the OOC perspective, not the IC one. With the current limits on 'banking', the brand new newbie who's never even picked up a WoD book before has to figure out how to spend 90XP - even with an expert to guide them, that's a ton of XP to spend. And you need special approvals to start with out-of-clan disciplines, so pretty much every new person walking in to game will have to max out their in-clans with capped traits in every category, leaving very little room for organic growth; with a year of play left in chronicle, that's a legitimate issue.

Silverfyre

I think it is going to help promote the game to new players and let them enjoy the game with characters who aren't going to be completely useless when they enter into a two-year long running chronicle.  That's the whole reason this is being implemented and while the IC reasoning is going to be a bit of a bitch for the STs to wrangle with (thankfully, I got some plots in place that actually work with this and our Sabbat venue), it is going to draw new players and new blood into the club.  We reset in less than a year anyways. It shouldn't be that much of a bitch fest but then again, I hear it from some of the higher MC players rather than the lower end of the spectrum.  The "Old Boy Club" mentality is exhausting and I am thankful we have no problems with it locally in our domain.

While organic growth is a legitimate issue, new players are not being forced to take the experience to their characters. It is an optional measure.  They have the exp and if they feel intimidated by it, they can work with their ST chain to either ignore it or work it into a believable concept.  It can be made to work and I think the benefits of this far outweigh the negative aspects.

TheGlyphstone

Oh, I like the idea myself. But simply saying the only arguments against it are 'we want new players to be weak' isn't being fair to the genuine issues that are being brought up.

Another example, the international affiliates that were objecting, in Spain and Ireland. Their entire national chronicle is less than a year old, no one above MC2 or 3, no one higher than 11th gen. Dumping 100XP on every player's head would, according to their STs, completely destabilize the existing story, effectively forcing a hard reset on them. Just suggesting that they pretend the addendum didn't happen is more exacerbating the 'old boys club' issue more than anything, by more or less explicitly telling those new domains and affiliates 'we don't care about your game, we're doing it this way, but feel free to ignore it if you don't like it'.

Silverfyre

I am not suggesting they ignore the addendum.  I am suggesting that those new players who come in and are intimidated by so much experience have the option to ignore the extra experience points if they do not want them.  These addendum rules are not official yet and they are still in discussion from what I can gather from my RST and on up the chain.  The addendum is written by the MST staff and if the Spanish and Irish affiliations have issue with it, they need to contact the MST chain and talk to them about it.  They do listen to such suggestions and concerns, in my own experiences.

TheGlyphstone

Exactly. They put it out, people had issues and said so on the lists, they took it back for revision and examination. We're jumping at shadows right now.

Silverfyre

Shadows and Speculation.  The next new novel by George R.R. Martin!

TheGlyphstone

Followed by A Tsunami Of Third-String Character Deaths?

LunarSage

Has anyone heard anything new about the proposal?

TheGlyphstone

There's been no further chatter on any of the global lists about it, which is where that chatter would be.

Silverfyre

Well, we will definitely know by the 1st when the revisions are released.

LunarSage

I'm personally hoping it does go through, but I may be biased as I've only been playing for 3 months now.  Feeling useless as a neonate is one thing that I think could be improved about the club, personally.

My friend who's an MC 11 thinks the rule is mainly being considered because someone important (probably MC 14 or 15) lost a character and doesn't want to start from scratch.  I'm not sure what to believe, personally.

The only downside (in my opinion) is that 100 xp pretty much guarantees that any new character is coming into the chronicle with at least one out of clan discipline after his or her in clans are maxed.  In my area, out of clan disciplines are pretty strictly watched by the STs, so this may cause an unwanted explosion in them.

TheGlyphstone

Your friend is speaking nonsense, probably because he's never heard of longevity. By the current rules, that 'someone important' (incidentally, MC14 is the highest possible, 15 is the Board of Directors) would get more XP towards their new character than they will if they die and start over once this rule goes into effect.

LunarSage

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 29, 2012, 03:10:09 PM
Your friend is speaking nonsense, probably because he's never heard of longevity. By the current rules, that 'someone important' (incidentally, MC14 is the highest possible, 15 is the Board of Directors) would get more XP towards their new character than they will if they die and start over once this rule goes into effect.

I was told by more than a few people that it's possible to have an MC 15 without being on the BoD.  Rare, but possible.

As far as the other thing, how do you figure?  Longevity only gives 2 xp per month the dead character was played, and considering we've only been playing the current chronicle for 2 years (assuming the dead character was made at the very beginning of the chronicle), that's 48 longevity xp compared to 100 xp from the new proposed rule.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LunarSage on May 29, 2012, 03:28:39 PM
I was told by more than a few people that it's possible to have an MC 15 without being on the BoD.  Rare, but possible.
I guess it's "possible", but I doubt any actually exist in the club. It is impossible to earn it via prestige (see here, it's only by direct special appointment by the Camarilla Council and White Wolf (likely modified to by the BoD in our new organization).

As far as the other thing, how do you figure?  Longevity only gives 2 xp per month the dead character was played, and considering we've only been playing the current chronicle for 2 years (assuming the dead character was made at the very beginning of the chronicle), that's 48 longevity xp compared to 100 xp from the new proposed rule.

Whoops. I thought I was right, but I was mentally including MC bonus XP into that, which would be on top of the longevity. Still, that's a far cry from starting from scratch, and I just throw mental warning flags up towards any theory that seems created solely to support the idea that patronage and favoritism for high-MC players makes all the rules in the club. I've talked to some of those high-MC players, and heard the horror stories from the old days of the club - I don't doubt some still lingers, since we are human, but the current environment is unrecognizable compared to how it was a long time ago.

LunarSage

No worries, Glyph.   :-)

I totally know what you mean about the old days.  I wasn't a member back then, but I could have been (in 97).  I chose not to because of the really bad rep the club had at that point. 

I have a question though...

The Mentor Background.  Since the addendum says that you can no longer learn out of clan disciplines from an NPC Mentor, is there even a point in taking it?

Silverfyre

Actually, there are several MC 15 members who are not on the BoD.  People have to nominate a person for it and we just had one rewarded to someone after SERE.  So, it does happen.

As far as the mentor background goes, yes it is worth taking.  For what reason?  NPC access to odd lores or abilities you are having a hard time finding a teacher for.  Also, it helps make a character's background story I think.

LunarSage

I see.  So it's useful, but nowhere near as useful as it was before... bummer.  I have a Gangrel who none of the Backgrounds seem to fit for and I have to spend 5 in BGs.  I mean I could take it all in Retainers and have some animal ghouls, but I can't seem to find the stats for them.  I was thinking a wolf and a great arctic owl.

TheGlyphstone

Bah. Join the cool side, you get to forget about those stupid Backgrounds and get a free 4th dot of your Disciplines instead. :D

Quote from: Silverfyre on May 29, 2012, 03:44:36 PM
Actually, there are several MC 15 members who are not on the BoD.  People have to nominate a person for it and we just had one rewarded to someone after SERE.  So, it does happen.

Interesting. Is it a permanent appointment, or temporary, like an MC14 player taking on an office that gives an MC bump?

Silverfyre

Yeah, pretty much.  Last chronicle, players were abusing it to learn all sorts of Disciplines that did not make sense but most people are not very happy with it at the moment.  I am sure it will change with time so people will invest into it once more.  Hm, how about Influence or Herd for said Gangrel?  Transportation Influence goes a long way for the roving Gangrel.

It is a permanent appointment from what I remember.

LunarSage

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 29, 2012, 03:51:07 PM
Bah. Join the cool side, you get to forget about those stupid Backgrounds and get a free 4th dot of your Disciplines instead. :D

*smirks*

Hey I'm -running- the cool (Sabbat) side now.   ;D

There's something to be said for getting to play rather than ST for the session, though.  :P

*Really hopes the new rule goes into play for my character in the June Cam/Anarch game this next Saturday*

We have a good chunk of MC 7+ characters in our domain, so it's easy for Neonates to get left behind around here.

Quote from: Silverfyre on May 29, 2012, 03:52:18 PM
Yeah, pretty much.  Last chronicle, players were abusing it to learn all sorts of Disciplines that did not make sense but most people are not very happy with it at the moment.  I am sure it will change with time so people will invest into it once more.  Hm, how about Influence or Herd for said Gangrel?  Transportation Influence goes a long way for the roving Gangrel.

Well he's a pretty feral Gangrel, so I can't see him having any actual Influences.  I heard there was a book with animal stats for MET in it.  Do you guys know which one it is?

Silverfyre

I believe it is the "Storyteller's Handbook/Guide".

Silverfyre

Actually, apparently even animals are made with the following stats from the addendum:

"Retainers

Each of a vampire’s Retainers dedicated to increasing her Influences maximum increases it by three levels rather than just one level. They may have an unlimited number of such retainers.
    If a character sheet is needed for a Retainer, create it with 6-4-3 Attributes, five Ability Traits, three Humanity Traits, and 1 Willpower Trait. For each additional Background Trait spent on a particular Retainer, add five Experience Traits to its character sheet (to a maximum of four additional Background Traits, or twenty Experience Traits). A Retainer sheet is created by the approving ST for the character, not the player and should represent a individual who has realistic traits. Ghouls and Revenant Retainers always start with one trait of Potence and may be created with additional Disciplines.
    Retainers may take Derangements and Negative Traits to gain up to five Free Traits, but may not have Merits, Flaws, or Backgrounds (including Influence).
    The Retainer’s character sheet cannot have anything on it that requires approval above Low Approval.
    Retainers do not gain Experience Traits in the course of play. Retainers may be humans or Ghouls (or Common Wraiths where allowed) for no additional cost. These Retainers do not need to purchase the Merits typically required to be Ghouls (or Wraiths).
    Wraith Retainers for Non-Giovanni: Top Approval."

TheGlyphstone

The only animal stats I know of is the Reptile Buddy in the Nos clanbook, since Libre De Ghoul isn't sanctioned for live play. And Reptile Buddy makes me sad...it's a 8-foot albino alligator ghoul, bought with 3 merit dots, that loses on ties to a 1-dot human retainer.

LunarSage

Wouldn't animal ghouls have "powers" that human ghouls wouldn't have?  Like claws, teeth, flight, increased speed, heightened senses, etc?  How best to reflect that on a ghoul sheet?

O.O

Glyph are you serious?  That merit gives you a wickedly statted beast in tabletop. 

Silverfyre

Well, it pretty much boils down to what your ST gives you since they are the ones to make the retainers. Work with your ST on what you want and it should be fine.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LunarSage on May 29, 2012, 04:12:18 PM
Wouldn't animal ghouls have "powers" that human ghouls wouldn't have?  Like claws, teeth, flight, increased speed, heightened senses, etc?  How best to reflect that on a ghoul sheet?

O.O

Glyph are you serious?  That merit gives you a wickedly statted beast in tabletop.

Serious.
7 Physical traits
0 Social traits
2 Mental Traits
Potence 2, Fortitude 2
Blood Pool 12, Willpower 3
No abilities, so he loses on ties to someone with 8 physicals (humans can have 10) and his only retest is Might. So a 2-dot retainer can wipe the floor with him.

As for animal powers, I think the answer is 'you don't. Buy them Auspex 1 out of clan for the senses, I guess, but your birds will have to be flightless.

LunarSage

Well it's the 2nd and I have heard nothing more about the addendum revision.  Has anyone else heard anything?

Star Safyre

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, they're delaying everything till July 1st now.

Silverfyre

Some of the RSTs raised some issues on the experience point give-away and it is being brought up to the board apparently.

Star Safyre

The concerns I'm hearing is that the XP given would be too much and that this a misguided attempt to fix a ST problem by throwing points at it.  I can see the argument that it's too much at once.  A hundred XP is about a year and a half's worth of play time.  How do you justify that kind of sudden development IC?  How is that going to affect character concepts?  How are newer players, how might be having issues understanding their character's abilities as they are now, going to struggle with such a powerful character?  If the issue is imbalance between new characters and long-standing ones (as in PvP problems) or integrating lower powered characters into ongoing plot, those are problems related to ST and stories, and should be solved with good ST skills, not a mechanics band-aid.  I want to be excited for free XP, but I'm starting to agree that it might cause more problems than it solves.

LunarSage

Well according to our local source (ie the guy who pays the most attention to the lists in our domain), the addendum will be as follows starting in July.

"Longevity: All new characters start with 3 xp per month of chronicle. Chronicle started on June 1, 2010. All existing characters with less than 75 earned experience points earn enough experience on June 1, 2012 to bring them up to 75 earned experience points. This bonus experience does not count towards the experience earned by the character in June 2012."

LunarSage

Oooh, also check out the other changes...

"Projectile: Replace the text of Projectile with the text found below: When making a ranged attack, you may spend 1 blood to activate projectile. If your attack does damage, it does an additional level of damage. If your attack did bashing damage, convert all bashing to lethal."

Oh HELL YES!  Projectile is suddenly a very cool power!

"Fortitude: 

The effects of Resilience and Resistance are automatic. There is no test associated with the use of these powers.

Aegis: Replace the text of the power with the following: At any time you may spend 1 temporary willpower or 3 temporary stamina based physical traits to choose a target. Reduce all damage that target would inflict on you to zero. Once invoked, Aegis lasts until the beginning of the next everyman action."

That's pretty cool, I suppose.  Makes Aegis not quite so all powerful but I'll be more willing to use it now.

"Potence:  Puissance: Weapons do not break when used for their intended purpose with this power."

O.O

Wow.

"Burning Wrath [Clanbook Brujah]: Every activation of this power lasts for one scene instead of a single attack."

Wow, that combo power might finally be useful.

TheGlyphstone

Wow, Fortitude 3 and 4 are no longer simply speedbumps on the way to Aegis. Aegis is nerfed a bit, but that always seemed a little odd to me anyways to have a retroactive healing power.

Puissance change = good, no more golf bags filled with greatswords.

Silverfyre

Fortitude 3 and 4 were always useful, even with the tests.  Spend a trait and win on ties as well, avoid a level of damage.  They have effectively made all levels of Potence save for Puissance useless against any one with Fortitude.  Mortals effectively have almost no way of damaging a character with Fortitude on a one-on-one level of combat, let alone in mob combat and the way they are talking about "selective relenting".  It's a bit of a mess and I hope it all gets sorted out.

Also, the Book of Nod being "freely available"? That's more harmful to the IC flavor of the game than it is worth. 

Star Safyre

The Book of Nod available freely?  Wow... That's just about kills the Masquerade.

TheGlyphstone

Eh, not really. If it says 'Scientology' on the front, the Ventrue could sell copies of the Book of Nod in every major bookstore without threatening the Masquerade. ;D
[/joke]

Book of Nod...unrestricted......Whut.

Trieste

I'm really glad someone's gotten some good use out of the Cam. >.< I tried playing in a local chapter in Florida and it was awful. I spent a lot of time writing up my character, and then spent the next three sessions sidelined when someone used all their points (or whatever) to make a combatty Brujah that took up all of the time with combat.

I wasn't playing a combat character. :/

Silverfyre

Well, we went through something similar and stayed away for two years.  Some good friends got us to come back and well, after moving to our current domain, we've had nothing but good things to say and experience.  It really depends on the local players and the type of venues you are involved in.  We run some combat games, mostly social ones though.  Pity you had such a rough experience with it, Trie.

Trieste

I had a fantastic time with the troupe game I played before that, and I enjoyed my time with OWBN. I just spent most of my Cam games sort of having a semi-IC conversation with the only other new person there, my roomie. I tried to feel out the local chapter when I moved up here but it was less than inviting. I may have just hit bad Cam chapters, but I'll admit they left a sour taste in my mouth.

Silverfyre

I know how you feel there.  We went to a convention in Gainesville and the local gang up there was all "Old Boys Club" and pretty snobbish.  It's why we mostly stick to our domain and the ones surrounding it, all of which have some pretty nice people.

LunarSage

My friend (and the Cam/Anarch VST for our domain) brought up a good point when it comes to the new ruling on Puissance and weapons no longer breaking.  Those with Puissance just got an unbelievable advantage against those using Fleetness to dodge, not just because of the extra damage, but because of the fact that now we're going to see characters running around with 3 and 4 trait bonuses to their own traits winning on ties regardless of that Fleetness.  It really does give a huge advantage to Potence users.  I'm not sure what the percentage of probability of winning a given test was and what it would be now (as I'm no math whiz), but it has to be pretty significant... and we -will- see an enormous increase of Greatsword + Puissance wielding characters, mark my words.  To give you an idea, a Neonate (with 11 Physical Traits) with Puissance and wielding a Greatsword will outbid 11th, 10th, 9th and 8th generation characters who don't have something that gives them a trait bonus themselves... and I don't think anything short of Stutterstep gives you a trait bonus to dodge with Fleetness anyway and only 8th gens or lower have access to that anyway. 

What do you guys think?  Does my friend have a point?

Star Safyre

I just feel bad for the couple folks I know whose character's concepts revolve deeply around high level of Craft to make Potence-resistant weapons.

Silverfyre

Well, it comes down to the STs preventing such things from happening.  The golf bags full of weapons for Puissance users was bad enough...

LunarSage

Well it looks like they've revised the Fortitude thing a little.  The Intermediate levels of Fortitude are still automatic, but Resistance got changed.

"Resistance: This power can downgrade one point of lethal damage to bashing, alternately, it can completely negate one point of bashing damage."

So now characters who can deal 1 level of lethal or agg will still at least deal a bashing level.

Projectile also got changed.

"Projectile: Replace the text of Projectile with the text found below: When making a ranged attack, you may spend 1 blood to activate projectile. If your attack does damage, it does an additional level of aggravated damage."

Before it dealt an extra level of lethal damage and all bashing damage was converted to lethal.  Now you just get another agg.

The xp thing still seems to be set at 75.

LunarSage

So...

What are folks thinking about the new chronicle creation guidelines as proposed thus far? 

Limited elders per domain?  3 xp per attribute trait?  Is this a good thing or a horrible idea?

Also, what about the whole "The Camarilla has defeated all it's enemies" thing for the new setting?  No Sabbat, no Anarchs, no Autakrus (I think I spelled that right), no motorcars, not a single luxury...

TheGlyphstone

I'm cautiously enthusiastic about Camarilla Ascendant. For one thing, it's something different rather than "THE END TIMES ARE COMING, PREPARE FOR GEHENNA V.3.0". Though they have undergone some revisions - the Sabbat is still around, it's just be systematically stripped of its leadership and is just a bunch of independent Loyalist packs, and more pressure is on Anarchs. I didn't see anything about Autarkis being exterminated. It's great for domains that want a game based around Camarilla internal politics, rather than battling the 10'o'clock monster of the month. Not so much for domains that enjoy heavy PvE plot, since recycling the same antagonists over and over will get tiresome fast.

The heightened cost for attributes is great, it makes sheet-building more of a challenge, and 'primary category', at least for the first year or so of chronicle (i did the math, can't remember exactly), actually means something. Having to choose between a new Basic Discipline or +1 to your max trait category, especially since they go up to 15, is a lot harder than 'max all your attribute categories then buy other stuff'.

Limiting Elders...I expect this will turn out to be less of a problem than it seems at first. Elders get such a high Weirdness tax that even a lot of people eligible to play them will probably go for a higher Gen and better out-of-clan power spreads. I'd be surprised if any domain, or even any region, manages to hit its theoretical Elder cap.

On the other hand, I love the new Sabbat setting, and I really hope they don't gut all that's cool about it when it's re-released for final draft.

LunarSage

Wooooo I'm gonna have my MC 6 before new chronicle starts!   I'm so happy.  ;D

Not that there's really a difference between 9th gen, 10th gen and 11th gen anymore (since they all max at 15 now)... but hey, 2 blood per turn!

TheGlyphstone

Score.

I got suckered into running our local Sabbat game, primarily because the ST we had was awful, but I'm actually looking forward to my C/A character, and I can't wait to finally play NuChangeling.

Though that does mean I am miffed that they, as I feared, gutted all that as cool and interesting about the Sabbat setting in the final draft.

LunarSage

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 14, 2013, 01:33:24 AM
Though that does mean I am miffed that they, as I feared, gutted all that as cool and interesting about the Sabbat setting in the final draft.

In what way?  Everyone in our domain loves the new Sabbat setting.

MC 7 for an 8th gen.  How cool is that?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LunarSage on April 16, 2013, 09:49:05 AM
In what way?  Everyone in our domain loves the new Sabbat setting.

MC 7 for an 8th gen.  How cool is that?

That's the ruleset, not the setting. The current upcoming setting is...pretty much the same as the old one - Gehenna is coming, prepare for the Jyhad, fight the Ivory Tower, etc. There's fewer top-end PC elders, and slightly more 8th gens, but aside from there being more Ravnos running around, nothing's really changed.

The 1st draft was radically different - apparently too much so, because they went back to what we've got, but I loved it. Gehenna wasn't coming, it was here - Antediluvians were waking up, and we were KICKING THEIR ASS. Having slain Gangrel, Ventrue, and Malkav at the cost of all our (PC) 7th and 6th gens gave a much more epic feel to the game; big victories at big costs and taking big risks for big payoffs.

LunarSage

The biggest difference that you're not factoring in is there is no crossover.  Sabbat is a whole separate universe from Cam/Anarch now, so STs of each can do pretty much anything they want with the "enemy faction". 

Also, there are absolutely no top end elders in Sabbat.  8th is literally the lowest gen that anyone can play, regardless of your MC.

I have high hopes for a fun Sabbat game in our venue.  :-)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LunarSage on April 16, 2013, 01:34:37 PM
The biggest difference that you're not factoring in is there is no crossover.  Sabbat is a whole separate universe from Cam/Anarch now, so STs of each can do pretty much anything they want with the "enemy faction". 

Also, there are absolutely no top end elders in Sabbat.  8th is literally the lowest gen that anyone can play, regardless of your MC.

I have high hopes for a fun Sabbat game in our venue.  :-)

There is...but that only worked out for Cam-Anarch. CA actually got a cool setting that deviates from the book-standard metaplot to a degree, kind of 1984 Vampire Edition as I said previously - only possible because they split the venues. Sabbat is, except for the Week of Nightmares and Assamite Schism being removed from backstory (neither of which had any in-chronicle effect other than altering approval levels for Assamites/Ravnos), the exact same world in its 3rd iteration so far.

I haven't said I don't like the setting...it's the same as the old one, which wasn't terrible. But the brief taste we had of something radically different is gone, which disappointed me. I'm hoping to run a good game, though I've currently got an albatross around my neck in the shape of a schism-in-progress among the local playerbase, half of which are very pro-PvP and the other half very anti-PvP.

LunarSage

Oh by the way, did you see this?  ;D

Book of Camarilla LARP Paths of Enlightenment

by Tim Clancy

MCMXCIII-XVIII

== Introduction ==

With the new release of Camarilla LARP rules supplement 4.7 and the movement to 5.0 soon thereafter, the Camarilla attempts to come closer in line with White Wolf's published source material. This rich resource of the fantastic and fatalistic, the morose and the marvelous, forms the backdrop of the venues we play and the games we enjoy. However there are some subjects White "We Made the Tzmische Clanbook" Wolf won't touch with a ten foot pole; these are the Paths of Enlightenment followed by their fan base, especially by members of the Camarilla organization. Any rabid fan-base of dispossessed dorks, gentrified geeks, and nihilistic nerds will give rise to self expression and personal philosophy, the Camarilla is no exception.

Culled from over six years of personal observation with numerous additional input by individuals with many additional years under their cumulative belts, the Camarilla Paths of Enlightenment should prove to be the definitive work on identifying the membership habits of our ever-growing organization. So take this tome along next time you head to a game, a coffee shop, or a chapter/domain meeting. See if you can pick out those who follow one of the seven paths, and look in the mirror to see what path you truly follow. Have you reached the plateau of perfection on your path which is represented by not sinning at any stage on the hierarchy of sins?

There are other, lesser, Paths of Enlightenment available to the Camarilla member, and many will come forward after this publication to push their own Hari-Krishna version of the truth. But the discriminating observer will realize that these are only offshoots of the main Paths listed below. So read on, and discover the previously forbidden knowledge which is the Camarilla Paths of Enlightenment.

== La Route Fonce' du Fromage ==

=== Nicknames ===

Cheese-Heads, Fromagists, Nacho Players

=== If they were playing AD&D they would... ===

Play anything from Unearthed Arcana combined with a Complete "Fighter/Thief/Wizard" Guide supplement and using Spelljammer technology just for starters...

=== Basic Beliefs ===

Be different and you are better. Be cool, and you are better still. Have something no one else has, and you are all. Fonce' du Fromage followers believe in a transcendent state between cheese and role-playing, wherein the reek of bastardized concepts and abusive interpretations threatens the very fabric of reality within the game, but does not shatter it. Fromagists search constantly to find this state of bliss and park there like a SUV in a compact spot during lunch rush hour. Any path member can only expect to experience it no more than three or four times in a lifetime, but the pursuit is all. It is rumored that the Fromagists are behind the movement to adopt Mage rules, and that doing so would introduce everyone on the path into perpetual bliss, even at the cost of mass aneurysms amongst the ST's.

=== Ethics ===

<ul>

<li> Special approvals are your friend.

<li> It is better to loose with something strange, than win with something normal.

<li> Anything is possible, you just have to justify it well enough to your CST.

<li> Never reveal your character sheet, but brag about your character whenever possible.

<li> If its new or no one else has it, it is better.

<li> Disciplines and effects as written are boring, processed drivel for the consumption of the masses. A true follower seeks to expand the realm of possibility through interpretation and "it would work if" scenarios.

<li> OOC information is meant to get into the game, otherwise it wouldn't be discussed.

</ul>

=== History ===

Showing a *very strong* early support base since the Camarilla's foundation, this group has now spread throughout the membership base. The days before reset were the "age of legends" for cheese heads. The reset to 4.0 hit them heavily, eliminating many avenues for transcendence through strict crossover rules. However, the reset basically amounted to the "rules clarification to end all rules clarifications" and there is no rules clarification a Fromagist can't get around. Correspondingly they have bounced back strong and now can be found in nearly every domain.

=== Description of Followers ===

Fromagists can be of any group, though tend mostly to be found amongst uber-pubescent males and omni-delusional females of any age group. Strangely enough, many ACST's got their first start as Fromagists, and secretly support the efforts of this path. One unifying identifier that all Fromagists share however is a thick wedge of sharp Tillamook cheddar hovering about them when their auras are viewed.

=== Common Abilities ===

<ul>

<li> The five second special approval application.

<li> On the spot justification through contrivance and bubblegum logic.

<li> Advanced ability to find the cheese.

<li> Spontaneous epiphany of character knowledge that bear close resemblance to out of game information.

</ul>

=== Preferred Disciplines ===

Cheese heads prefer those Disciplines which most threaten a ST's ability to keep the game realistic, and also offer them unlimited interpretations. For this reason Visscitude, Temporis, Thaumartagy, or anything Cathayan are the preferred disciplines of choice for Fromagists.

=== Views on other Paths ===

<ul>

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#MC_Climbers MC Climbers] – They seek the path to greater approval power, but once there, they know not what to use the CCP for. Emulate them, but remember that prestige is only a tool for transcendence, not an end goal.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Min.2FMaxer.27s Min/Maxers] – Our brothers in arms along two similar paths. The Min/Maxer takes the rules and make them all powerful, we take the all powerful and cram them into the rules. Learn from them, and teach to them the glory of Fromage.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Lawyers_Without_Borders Lawyers without Borders] – At times our allies, often our enemies. When rules are in your favor keep them by your side…but when transcendence demands "creativity" in interpretation these hard nosed strict constructionalists will hold you back. Their "clarification requests" on Rules circle have sacrificed more than one brother's quest for bliss.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Path_of_Elitism Elitists] – The enemy! They look down their nose at us and we laugh at their relatively sparse character sheets. Keep a 3x5" handy when dealing with Elitists, they usually don't know the rules and often walk away when confronted with the dark power of the cheese. Expose them to the heady odor of your abilities and watch them flee back to their independent movie theatres and bookstores.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Power_of_My_Voice Power of My Voice] – An unfortunately required burden. The game which is the avenue of our bliss requires organization to support, allow these self absorbed fools to do the work while you reap the rewards. Attaching yourself to them early on can reward later with fat prestige paying Assistant titles that require little work.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Grievance_Filers Grievance Filers] – Rarely an issue within our pursuit of bliss through the game. If one of these throws the Tome at you though, deflect it back to the CST approving your character.

</ul>

=== Hierarchy of Sins ===

<ul>

<li> Playing a creature type that doesn't require special approval.

<li> Having less than three approval items on a character sheet.

<li> Not being on Yagraff's "to visit" list

<li> Going through an entire game without using OOC information.

<li> Having less than eight status (Clan/Sect combined) at any time on any of your characters

<li> Succumbing to a "no" from a Storyteller without ten minutes of "justifying" your position.

<li> Not having at least some item/relationship that adds to your traits, health, WP or effects on your character.

<li> Not keeping up to date on the latest "revelations" of other Fromagists and bringing them into your game with a "but the DST of Moron-ville" approved it reasoning.

<li> Not bringing in a Fonce' Fromage approved plotline from one Domain to another.

<li> Playing a mortal with no Numina, abilities, or powers….basically yourself.

</ul>

== MC Climbers ==

=== Nicknames ===

Prestige Whores, Pyramid Climbers, Gold Diggers

Wouldn't play because the reports for their twenty-two Cam positions were all due in the same week.

=== Basic Beliefs ===

Personal worth is measured by one, and one thing only. Membership class. Prestige is the currency of the Membership Class. If you have more, you are better. Based on a dogmatic interpretation of fifteen hierarchical states of increasing emanations of power, MC Climbers fanatically apply themselves to increasing their prestige total, sacrificing time, money, friends and even a social life to do it.

=== Ethics ===

<ul>

<li> No task is too small to claim prestige for.

<li> When confronted with a dilemma, trust the higher MC, they are correct.

<li> If you have a higher MC, you are right.

<li> National is the key to all things, followed shortly thereafter by List Moderation.

<li> Granted positions are not cheating, they are an equity loan on prestige to be earned.

<li> Hold multiple positions, three assistant jobs is far better than one actual job, unless that job has a granted MC.

</ul>

=== History ===

Suffering under early and often restrictive rules of advancement requiring an actual position to be held for a year before advancement, the MC Climbers have benefited greatly with the new prestige system. Able to use "points" instead of actual productive work, MC Climbers can maximize their returns with less effort than earlier systems. As the possibility of multiple positions and duties opens up the door to prestige accumulation, and the overall monthly caps are removed, MC Climbers may increase in numbers dramatically.

MC Climbers look like everyone else, they often hold normal jobs, live quietly within their communities, and get along well with members of the opposite sex. But underneath this placid demeanor is a raging whore of prestige pimping. No task is too small, too minute, to debasing to perform and not claim prestige. Monthly prestige reports pages long are finely edited before submission, looking for any last point to claim or last item to add. As intense as a rabid dog chasing down the steak tar-tar truck, MC Climbers have less of the socially redeeming qualities.

=== Common Abilities ===

<ul>

<li> Multiple Early Renewals Each Year

<li> Pimp Prestige

<li> Excel 95/97 & SQL

</ul>

Prestige whores don't have preferred disciplines as a group….they often rarely get to play characters even, sacrificing game time to work desk duty, play NPC's, or even ST. When they do play, MC Class Climbers compare social standing with the CCP total cost of their characters. The more approvals needed with CCP, the better.

=== Views on Other Paths ===

<ul>

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#La_Route_Fonce.27_du_Fromage Fromagists] – What idiots! Who cares that your MC 3 nothing has a triple bladed warded sword of dark withering…every time you kill me I'm just going to come back with another MC12 character.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Min.2FMaxer.27s Min/Maxers] – Like accountants, Min/Maxers can offer good advice on how best to use your new found wealth…er…prestige. If only they could focus their god given talents of Min/Maxing on prestige they would be unstoppable, but unfortunately they are concerned with accumulation of fictional power for self worth, unlike our prestige. However, they also don't clutter our efforts to gain prestige with extra bodies.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Lawyers_Without_Borders Lawyers without Borders] – They focus to much on the game! The game is subsidiary to the chase, the hunt, the elusive stalking of prestige through the steamy jungles of a sweat dripping miasma of the Camarilla. The rule of MC is the only rule of Law. They could save 150 pages if 4.5 only had one rule, "higher MC wins".

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Path_of_Elitism Elitists] – The more of these in any town the better. Elitists often refuse to dirty themselves with actual tasks, and there will be for you to earn prestige. Secure gaming sites that pander to their artsy fartsy needs and you'll get bonus prestige. Coffeehouses with French names are always a good start.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Power_of_My_Voice Power of My Voice] – The followers of this path can be dangerous, often competing for the same position. Appeal to their sense of leadership and sneak in to take the assistant job, but be watchful…in that scenario they decide your prestige.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Grievance_Filers Grievance Filers] – Beware those who file a grievance against you. These whiners don't realize that the path to glory occasionally is trod upon the heads of the meek…and the have the power to wield the ultimate weapon, the removal of an MC Class by disciplinary action. Kowtow to these radicals when possible while still climbing the ranks, soon enough your MC will be high enough that you can ignore their complaints with impunity.

</ul>

<ul>

<li> Not giving blood at least twice a month

<li> Letting someone else drive to another Domains game.

<li> Being caught without your MC card or signed Prestige Log on you, even at non game events.

<li> Maintain standards of personal associations (cleanliness, hygiene, ) which prevent you from offering your home up as a crash space or location for social activity.

<li> Not taking every Ordeal as soon as it comes out.

<li> Not attending a meeting where prestige is given just for showing up.

<li> Submitting a prestige report without three categories maxed out or under 75 prestige total.

<li> Not turning in a monthly report.

<li> Accepting a position even though your Admin prestige is already maxed.

<li> Losing an MC as result of a disciplinary procedure.

</ul>

== Min/Maxer's ==

=== Nicknames ===

Twinks, Goobs, AD&D Players

=== If they were playing AD&D they would play... ===

Tremere

=== Basic Beliefs ===

The Min/Maxer's follow a zen path of perfection which leads the devoted follower to personal power and glory. A novice may only be able to make a "strong" character, but with diligent study the initiate can create an unbeatable combination of disciplines, merits, and ability re-tests. True bohdavistas, though rare, are legendary for their ability to make characters with any amount of points that will defeat characters five times their power in point value alone. Like the sound of water dropping in a pond reverberated across the mind, Twinks relentlessly pursue the exalted perfection of Min/Maxing, where the least amount of points produce the most powerful result. As the points increase, the power must increase exponentially.

=== Ethics ===

<ul>

<li> Get more while using less.

<li> Waste in spending XP is as much a crime as undervaluing the power of things.

<li> Min/Max is valid at any level of power.

<li> Weakness is to be reviled, strength is all important.

<li> When facing another Min/Maxer, always compare the strength of your Kung Fu.

<li> Whether a character would "actually carry" something that adds more traits is less important than how many traits it adds.

<li> Always take the most flaw points, negative traits, and free lores you can without hurting your character in any perceivable way.

</ul>

=== History ===

Originally pushed away from the Camarilla by the Elitists, and turned off by the actual cost of membership, Min/Maxers were few and far between in the Camarilla. However, those few early disciples paved the way for later followers, blazing a path in abusing the rules loopholes and clarifications to exact the most powerful characters possible. Early examples of the utility of Min/Maxing gained many followers to the path, and as the Camarilla became more prevalent and the rumor it was an easy place for geeks to get laid took hold, the converts from AD&D tabletop to the Camarilla LARP became fast and furious.

In the current LARP Min/Maxers have carved a respectable niche for themselves. Avoiding the perils of outright cheesisms followed by La Route Fonce de Fromage, and surviving the disdainful snarls of Elitists (many who don't even know their own stats…blasphemy!) Min/Maxers have taken the middle road. They pull from the Fonce de Fromage when those individuals outgrow the fanatical need to be different, and they also occasionally gain members from the Lawyers without Borders, whose fundamental understanding of the rules builds a strong core for Min/Maxing philosophies.

About the only true setback to the Min/Maxer's was the outlawing of the one shot kill, which for many years was a transcendental goal on the pursuit of perfection.

Min/Maxers, originally thought of as only former AD&D nerds fighting a losing battle against the Cepholpodic Geo Ducks of Pacific Coast for least number of dates with the opposite sex during the eighties, has emerged as a potent force of late. Once the Camarilla legitimized nationwide the concept of self worth through character power in a live-action game, the Min/Maxers hit pay dirt.

Since those wean days of GeoDuck competition, the Min/Maxers have gained girlfriends, occasionally wives, and even in the rare case children. Min/Maxers program their children to gain the most benefit from personal flaws down the road as an adult, at least "game cost", by giving them nightmares, making them intolerant of everything, raising them twisted and becoming infamous themselves. What end result this will have on the second generation of Min/Maxers is of course unknown but some welfare agencies have expressed concern.

=== Common Abilities ===

<ul>

<li> Creating the MC1 instant kill character.

<li> Combining small loopholes and liberal amounts of KY Jelly to push through monstrous interpretations of the rules.

<li> Know all Merits/Flaws, from all source material, with instant recollection.

<li> The 30 second breakdown of any character sheet in terms of raw power, wasted points, and best min/max opportunities.

</ul>

Min/Maxers choose disciplines that will always ensure, XP point for XP point spent, that the odds will always be stacked in their favor. For this reason Thaumartagy and Celerity are the most preferred.

<ul>

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#La_Route_Fonce.27_du_Fromage Fromagists] – An overpowered monkey character based on cheese, is inherently weaker than an overpowered monkey character based on the rules set. Any ST can punch through cheese, only the really strong have the ability to say no an abusive, yet still technically legal, overpowered monkey character concept.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#MC_Climbers MC Climbers] – They mistakenly think that MC 12 character will survive against our powerful kung fu. They are mistaken, show them the glory of Min/Maxing and watch them cry out at the wasted years attaining high MC in pursuit of power.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Lawyers_Without_Borders Lawyers without Borders] – Take pity on their plight and encourage at least one or two of idiot savants into these in your Coterie. They may mumble in a drool about rules this and rules that, but occasionally a clarification they put forth creates more loopholes than they fix. Otherwise use them like NPC shields to protect your character concept with a steady barrage of supporting rules decisions if an ST should question you.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Path_of_Elitism Elitists] – Be nice to this group…for some reason all the sexy girls end up in here. Don't let them fool you, they really ARE more impressed the more powerful your characters are, and they love to flirt in character…regardless of what the players say. So tuck in your X-Files shirt, polish those twelve sided dice and straighten your slide rule…once the drama chicks get a chance to see the power of your character sheet…you're sure to score.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Power_of_My_Voice Power of My Voice] – Well somebody's got to lead this whole abysmal mass of chaos. Better these self aggrandizing megalomaniacs do than you, more time to spend perfecting your craft. Besides who needs prestige if you can make a character stronger than one built with four or five times the MC.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Grievance_Filers Grievance Filers] – There's something besides the game? Get outta here!! These poor deluded fools measure their worth…well…its something in what they call the "real world" anyway. Who cares? And when they say "its just a game", that really hurts.

</ul>

<ul>

<li> Not meditating on the rules set for at least ten minutes each evening

<li> Finding less than ten loopholes in any conversion kit

<li> Waiting over ten hours to buy the newest release

<li> Receiving less than 4xp a month.

<li> Forgetting the negative traits of any weapon or armor

<li> Paying for an ability or Lore when you could have gotten your CST to give it to you for free.

<li> Relenting to any challenge

<li> Not taking out of Clan disciplines at start

<li> Using one point less or more than seven on your characters Flaws at creation.

<li> Not having an Acute Sense merit on your character sheet

</ul>

== Lawyers Without Borders ==

=== Nicknames ===

Rules Lawyers, Debaters, Demonic Sadists from Hell

===  If they were playing AD&D they would play... ===

RoleMaster™

=== Basic Beliefs ===

In pursuit of an altruistic approach to the game, these selfless, tireless, and most assuredly thankless members seek out all rules errata, be they large or small, well known or unique. Each Lawyer without Border harvests their own private collection of rules decisions and philosophical theorems behind the decisions, then unleashes them upon an often unprepared and always unwilling audience. As their name indicates these paladins of procedure, these knights of know-it-all, old no loyalties to Domains or Chapters, Venue's or styles. They are above such pettiness, and so are referred to as having no Borders, or amongst their detractors, no social graces whatsoever.

=== Ethics ===

<ul>

<li> To err is human, to point out someone else erring is divine.

<li> The rules are there to be known, if another has lapsed in their studies, be sure to enlighten them with what you know, be they willing or not.

<li> The ANST Rules is the highest position in the Camarilla, higher than any NST or DoST.

<li> Following the rules unsullied by their playability or suitability to a given situation is the pursuit of purity.

<li> There is no such thing as "finding middle ground" in the absolute truth of the rules. You are right, they are wrong.

<li> If, while arguing a point just to make the point, you are beaten to death by an angry mob of players who just don't care and are tired of you interrupting the game every five minutes with another "just to point out what the rules say on this" statement…then you have fallen as a martyr and will be rewarded in the afterlife.

</ul>

=== History ===

Lawyers without Borders initially held a camp that was equally split between monitoring the rules of the game and those of the Camarilla organization itself. Through a series of deft maneuvers, the Coordinators rewrote the Tome so many times, eventually doing away with membership input altogether, that the Lawyers without Borders were driven en 'masse into their last refuge, the game system. The ST Hierarchy blames the coordinators for this to this day, and it has remained a point of sore contention to the Storytellers and a smug victory for the Coordinators until just recently.

With the release of the 6th Edition of the Tome, a coterie of cat-beating Storytellers pointed out the Disciplinary Action section of the Tome to whatever Lawyers without Borders they could find. The result was the birthing of the Grievance Filers, proof positive that no good ever came out of publishing the disciplinary rulings in the Tome. Today, the Lawyers without Borders have withstood pressures and attacks. After completely taking over the Rules Circle on majordomo, they wage an incessant war to expand their dominion. Storyteller circle has almost collapsed under their offensives, while no regional list has been spared from periodic raiding over just how the status system works.

Lawyers without Borders, as the name states, respect few borders of Chapters or Domains, and may appear at any game at any time. In fact sometimes they aren't even playing the game at hand, only there to "check up" on the rules. Although normal looking, and often indicated to be "quiet and kept to himself" by not-so-close neighbors in post crime-spree interviews; some hint that the Lawyers without Borders may not even be Camarilla members, or even part of the human race. Instead many believe that they are arch devils sent from the deepest pits of hell to punish the sin of "not knowing the rules" for players and Storytellers alike, scourging them without mercy until the member cries "uncle" in a pooling gelatinous mass of their former selves….but we think that might be an over-exaggeration. Lawyers without Borders are most likely lesser demons, rather than devils…and coming from the 2nd and 3rd Plains of Hell, rather than the lower ones.

There is one sure way to tell a Lawyer without Borders though, they typically include the arcane phonetic grouping C-S-T after their signature in emails.

=== Common Abilities ===

<ul>

<li> Insurmountable Circular Logic

<li> Increased Stamina to Argue Forever

<li> Never Concede

<li> Inability to Hear

<li> Instant Reference

<li> Preferred Disciplines

</ul>

Lawyers without Borders rarely pick Disciplines for their actual game ability, instead they prefer Disciplines that have added significantly to the rules cannon of the Camarilla. Such Disciplines as Dominate, Obfuscate, and Auspex have filled volumes with clarifications and addendum, and are cherished by Sadists for theses reasons. Those Disciplines which, no matter how cool, haven't felled many trees in supplemental clarifications are shunned like Biothaumartigical Experimentation and Obeah.

<ul>

<li> Failing to have a complete White Wolf library supplemented by Camarilla LARP Sanctioned Rule sets (versions 0.05-4.7) as well as a printout of every email ever to come across Rules Circle.

<li> Being active on Rules Circle for less than twenty hours a day.

<li> Debating a rule without referencing what CST/DST/RST/NST said in casual conversation about it upwards of seven years ago.

<li> Dating someone (male or female) who cannot answer how many actions are needed to acquire a level 8 influence using four influences combined, two from within the same region, two from without, and one not even of the same influence field.

<li> Noticing an incorrect ruling during a game, no matter how trivial, and failing to "just point out that that's incorrect per…".

<li> Using Dennys after a game to socialize, instead of gathering with your coven of fellow Sadists to discuss what rulings were wrong at the game.

<li> Allowing a player whose made an incorrect statement about a rule to "back out of it" by agreeing with you after your first argument only.

<li> Deciding not to post on Rules Circle about weapon damage because the issue's been debated to death.

<li> Accepting a bribe to shut the hell up.

<li> Abandoning the rules in favor of the game flow.

</ul>

<ul>

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#La_Route_Fonce.27_du_Fromage Fromagists] – Creativity has no place in a Live Action Role Playing game. Whenever you encounter a creation by the Fromagists burn it down wherever possible with rules and dogma. Their attempts to expand the rules of the game are only based off weird concepts they wish to play, rather than the number of rules clarification or additions that can be gained from any new ruling.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#MC_Climbers MC Climbers] – Left over prestige whores from the original coordinator group, these are to blame for thwarting the Lawyers without Borders in early attempts to use the Tome like they do the core game rules. They believe in the rule of MC over the rule of rules.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Min.2FMaxer.27s Min/Maxers] -

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Path_of_Elitism Elitists] – You would think that those who knew the absolute least possible microscopic amount to barely get by at any White Wolf game would be at least appreciative of the friendly, consistent, and continuous stream advice you can provide them on the rules. These are the same ones in high school who hung around in cliques centered around the drama department, at least on your path you have the opportunity for a sustainable career choice.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Power_of_My_Voice Power of My Voice] – The shouters intuitively understand that an argument is more about ego than it is about success. If you start a rules "discussion" within hearing distance they may just move in to join. Avoid this as they are often harder to interrupt with a side comment than you are, and they have a volume range equal to your own.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Grievance_Filers Grievance Filers] – Our long lost brothers on the other side of realities ghetto fencing, the Grievance Filers pursue a type of Rules Lawyering within their own vein and for somewhat dissimilar goals. Give them aid and comfort where you can. Its doubtful your on their target list anyway, as you have absolutely no social standing they can gain from grievancing you, and its fun to watch 'em take down the others.

</ul>

== Path of Elitism ==

=== Nicknames ===

Drama Students, Drama Queens, Actors

Never admit they had fun.

=== Basic Beliefs ===

Elitists believe in superiority based on the ability to play a character as a dramatical device better than anyone else. Deriding games without absolute realism, the followers of the Elitist Road frequently refer to "immersive role-playing" (typically from another city/country) as if it were a holy Mecca of achievement. Less a style than a place to pilgrimage to. Surrounded by the unwashed, individual Elitists pursue that pilgrimage every time they role-play, attempting to find the holy state of absolute perfection in acting within character, and ignoring to a large degree any semblance of a game put before them.

For the Drama Queens, the Camarilla is less a social organization than it is a stage for them to perform on. The regular members are not peers, rather they are audiences to stand in awe of the Elitists performance. In fact many Elitists are put off when other members, do not break their own character to laugh, cry, burst into applause or throw flowers to an Elitist.

Aloof, quite frequently alone, and so content with themselves that they rarely notice another's absence, Elitists glide (or attempt to glide) above the muck and grime of real role-playing. Constantly appealing to that "better game" with more intensive role-play, they serve as a beacon to other gamers of what they should be focusing on. At least that's how they view themselves.

=== Ethics ===

<ul>

<li> If others do it, it's melodrama. If you do it, it's "being true to your character".

<li> Flaws are role-playing vehicles, collect them to challenge yourself.

<li> Only role-play with those worthy for the grace of your abilities, namely other Elitists.

<li> Never demean another Elitist by conducting a challenge with them.

<li> If you ignore them, eventually they will go away.

<li> Avoid leaving character for as long as possible this includes at Dennys, amongst friends, or even in the cubicle pool at work the next Monday.

<li> Its not just a game, its theatre in the round!

</ul>

=== History ===

The Elitists were originally known as Goths within the Camarilla organization, in fact they founded it. An initial goal of a social organization based on White Wolf's source material and an opportunity to role-play their whiny little angst ridden super hero vampire myths ground to a sudden halt as soon as inroads were made in number by the Cheese Heads and the Min/Maxers into the game. Much friction existed between these groups, the Elitists preferring to "play the metaphorical juxtaposition of beast and man in a character concept destined for tragedy and remorse" while the others just wanted to "beat shit up".

The inevitable conclusion of this friction was that, as in any contest where common sense and civility are cast aside, the Goths lost to the Fromagists and Min/Maxers. Leaving in droves from a game that "just wasn't pure enough" the remaining core of hard liners adapted into what is now known as Elitists. They sought recruits from amongst those who could truly act, and more often from those who thought they could act. Elitism became less about being Gothic in play, than it was being great role-players in play.

However not until after the Reset did Elitists become a widely accepted Road. Under 3.0, the character sheet and what was on it was all important, after the reset with powers diminished, XP reigned in and the Fromagists reeling, players slowly began to realize that there were characters behind the character sheets. From this dawning realization, and the fact that most really hot chicks are Elitists, the Road of Elitism grew by leaps and bounds. Now it is not uncommon to see an Elitist or two at any game, huddled off to the side away from the challenges staying in character.

Those who follow the Road of Elitism fall into two groups. The first are role-playing fanatics. One might even go so far as to say lunatics. Well actually that's not too far, so lets just call them crazy loons. Its not that they don't recognize that one world is real and that the other is fiction, its that they don't care. To limit in any way your characters interaction is not the purity of play. Elitists will go to any length to demonstrate their own talents of characterization, typically with characters no more complex than the Sunday morning talking animal cartoons. However mirrored with this desire for the pinnacles of role-playing, is an inborn superiority complex one often only sees in post-modern retro-beatnik coffee houses.

The second group of Elitists are those who follow the Road like one follows the catwalk next to a putrid feces filled open sewer line; if you step off you'll be up to your elbows in stinky poo-poo. Strangely enough, those who follow the Road for the protection if offers from rampant cheese, challenges, and testosterone contests don't detract from the true Elitists. The act of snobbery, most important amongst all other abilities by Elitists, can be cultivated in anyone.

=== Common Abilities ===

<ul>

<li> Preen

<li> Accept adulation

<li> Harp on others

<li> Garner followers

<li> Snub with civility

<li> Snub with cruelty

<li> Snub with barbarity

</ul>

Disdaining character sheets for true role-playing, the followers of the Elitist Road don't usually worry about Disciplines. If they do bother to obtain or pursue Disciplines it will be those that either provide for more role-playing opportunities themselves, or special disciplines wherein the Clan required to have those disciplines is in and of itself considered a role-playing-heavy concept. Therefore Dementation, Obeah, and Meloponmine are favorites.

<ul>

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#La_Route_Fonce.27_du_Fromage Fromagists] – When was the last time you had a date?!?

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#MC_Climbers MC Climbers] – Don't touch me.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Min.2FMaxer.27s Min/Maxers] – So help me if you tell me about your character one more time I will mace you!

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Lawyers_Without_Borders Lawyers without Borders] - Get away from me, I have a restraining order.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Power_of_My_Voice Power of My Voice] – Oh my, how (deep breath)…compelling your arguments. What's your phone number…I haven't..-felt-…this (another deep breath) moved by someone's voice since Patrick Stewart's performance in I Claudius. Tell me, (beginning to flush) do you like dramatic relationships with fiery conclusions?

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Grievance_Filers Grievance Filers] – Puh-leazze.

</ul>

<ul>

<li> Playing a combat character.

<li> Making any challenge whatsoever

<li> Writing a character background that doesn't involve a full trilogy of novella's.

<li> Wearing the same gown/tuxedo to different Toreador Balls within a five year period.

<li> Showing up at a game even though your character has no reason to be there.

<li> Sighing, screaming, whispering, or crying in anything less than ten decibels.

<li> Accepting a nomination for best RPing because you want the extra XP rather than the adulation.

<li> Breaking character to make a joke, laugh at one, or acknowledge that the police have shown up to issue citations.

<li> Not using the phrase "role-play vs. roll-play" in every conversation you have about role-playing.

<li> Playing a character with no dramatic quandaries, no tragic quagmire, and no motivating goals of passion…basically yourself.

</ul>

== Power of My Voice ==

=== Nicknames ===

Bullies, Jerks, Assholes, Egomaniacal Megalomaniacs, Coordinators

=== If they were playing AD&D they would...===

Play the Paladin Fascist

=== Basic Beliefs ===

Me. That's what this is about, Me. Make no mistake. You matter so little that to consider the subject further is pointless to my needs. And that's what's important here. My needs. Think about my needs, I am. All the time. My needs are what's best for this club because they are mine. Therefore I am what's best for this club. You may see only an ACC in front of you, but I am what's best for the global organization of the Camarilla. Trust me, I've already worked everything out. No, I don't want to hear your idea. Why? Because it came from you, and not me. I've decided that a wise man takes council from wise men, so I listen to myself because I am wise. Do you disagree? How unfortunate (cracks knuckles in thick leather gloves), because I have followers, followers who listen to me. They shall deal with you soon enough. Oh you've changed your mind? How considerate. I can now delegate grunt tasks your way, for anything of importance will be done by me. These are my words, hang upon them.

=== Ethics ===

Those who follow the road of the Power of my Voice have no ethics, or at least none have ever been demonstrated.

=== History ===

Growing exclusively from the use of a coordinator or storyteller position as a platform for world domination, those who believe in the Power of their Voice have always formed a strong base in the Camarilla. Followers are relatively few in numbers, two adherents in the same chapter is almost unheard of giving the propensity of the alpha to challenge the interloper for dominance at every occasion – the losing party forced to start a "protest chapter" nearby. General player apathy, the strong currents of sycophancy in the Cam, and the ability of Followers to wear down any opposition make them a potent deciding factor in Camarilla politics and discussion no matter how few their numbers though.

Amongst the coordinators, the Power of My Voice movement has helped spur growth and organization in the Camarilla. Granted this "growth" revolves around projects dedicated to furthering the Cam career of the followers and the "organization" resembles something out of the Gulag Archipelago except instead of little bits of watered down bread the prisoners only get lumps of pathetic prestige; but these are minor bumps in the path of glory followed by those who listen to the Power of Their Voices.

Storytellers on the other hand, who have an equal number of followers on this path as the coordinators, take another tact. They use the Power of their Voice to create a game which is really more of a play wherein they are the directors. Character choice is something to be encouraged, as long as it does not impact "the game". They also refuse to take suggestions or criticisms on any aspect of their game.

All followers of the Path of Power of My Voice desire only one thing less than world domination, and that's for them, and their ego, to become co-chairs of a BOD position.

Average height, average build, average looks, and (most typically) average intelligence…those who follow the Power of Their Voice blend completely with the populace as long as they are comatose and strapped to chair. The rest of the time they are interjecting themselves into conversations with unasked opinions, strong arming members verbally into following their plans, determining who will sit on what committee and generally micromanaging the world to fit their needs.

=== Common Abilities ===

<ul>

<li> Enter conversation uninvited.

<li> Raise voice

<li> Retest voice

<li> Overbid voice

<li> Shoot down ideas with nary a glance

<li> Inexhaustible air supply

</ul>

Dominate & Melopomaine

<ul>

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#La_Route_Fonce.27_du_Fromage Fromagists] – Preoccupied with the pursuit of game power, they are easily controlled with the power of my voice. The Cheese-Heads abilities in game are based off weak constructs approved by overworked ST's, and they realize this, confront a Fromagist with an immovable object (such as your ego) and they will back off.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#MC_Climbers MC Climbers] – Make sure none of these get a prestige paying position when you can. The more numerous they are, the more prevalent the philosophy "MC makes right" which is blasphemy to the movement. My voice makes right, and none other.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Min.2FMaxer.27s Min/Maxers] –More concerned with the game these pawns are easily manipulated and make good yes-men and women. Put them in little brown uniforms and have them line the roads for important parade…they can be counted on for a good salute.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Lawyers_Without_Borders Lawyers without Borders] – Perhaps our only equal in the Camarilla, we are fortunately not adversaries of these powerful vocal debaters. Leave them to the rules of the game and tread carefully around them though. They can argue a point for no other sake than the point for hours on end, reducing the time from which you can speak and be heard. If you do get in a debate, keep raising the volume level…Lawyers without Borders can debate for hours…but they cannot reach the decibel heights that we can.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Path_of_Elitism Elitists] – Sycophants!! They follow whomever is the authority, which is good, but lacking a clear figure will flock in mindless droves to the nearest powerful character…pretending to be enamoured with role-play. But they usually are cute and fall more easily for the "its good to be the coordinator" line.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Power_of_My_Voice Power of My Voice] – My voice is all, and all of import is my voice. ((Note: The followers of the Power of My Voice is the only known path to have released a formal opinion of themselves, complimentary of course).

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Grievance_Filers Grievance Filers] – Thin skinned good for nothing blood sucking over reacting "those-who-can't-do-bitch" pansies. Just once we'd like to see these folks get up in the spotlight and make this thing run. But no... they sit back and snipe at true achievements, mistaking the occasional victim of progress as the next celebrity cause. The Grievance Filers know the Code of Conduct inside and out, so avoid breaking it even if it means lessening The Voice for a time in the Whiners presence.

</ul>

<ul>

<li> Failing to meditate on your voice for at least ten minutes each night.

<li> Listening with an interested look on your face to an unasked opinion by just another worthless member.

<li> Asking for an opinion.

<li> Failing to move up in the ranks.

<li> Admitting something you made up five seconds ago was only an opinion, rather than insisting its a policy or official rule.

<li> Ending an argument by walking away.

<li> Exercising patience or compassion.

<li> Mentoring others.

<li> Losing an argument.

<li> Losing a position of power within the coordinator or storyteller hierarchy.

</ul>

== Grievance Filers ==

=== Nicknames ===

Vampires, Whiners, Hand Wringers

=== If they were playing AD&D they would...===

Accuse the DM of favoritism and leave the game.

=== Basic Beliefs ===

The eating of flesh was believed to lend the strength, cunning and prowess of the victim to the eater in many primitive cultures. In some documented cases this led to the cannibalization of fallen human foes, warriors believing that they could take part of the essence with them in victory.

The Grievance Filers, warped and twisted from their Lawyers without Borders roots have adopted this primal attitude. They believe that by draining the living essence out of fellow members in a vampiric attack called the Grievance Procedure, they too can gain the power from their victims. Grievance Filers gnaw on a member until every ounce of contrition, punishment, and compensation for imagined or real wrongs, no matter how slight, had been exacted. After that they go after the critical organs and blood supply of their victims, though usually such gruesome proceedings are well hidden from the members at large.

=== Ethics ===

<ul>

<li> There is a conspiracy out to get you. Anyone who disagrees with you is part of it.

<li> Always turn the other cheek. (A quick check of the Tome during a heated argument can benefit you down the road when making accusations.)

<li> It is NOT "just a game".

<li> 24-hours is the perfect amount of time to craft your next email attack.

<li> Take a deep breath, count to ten…then SHOUT!

<li> Not all members are brave enough to take on the establishment, be prepared to work pro bono.

<li> Working with another person to resolve a conflict involves you telling them "how it is". If they disagree, move in for the kill.

<li> High MC members are tasty and nourishing, drain their souls and steal their kung fu.

</ul>

=== History ===

Regardless of what they'll try and tell you, the Camarilla was always about a game. And that game had rules which regulated almost everything else. If you were the head of a chapter, you were also a Primogen, if you ran a domain, you were the Prince. This meant that disputes, problems, and solutions were worked out in, around, and through the game (mostly). The Lawyers without Borders equally monitored both the in game rules set and the out of game organization. However, the savvy core of individuals who would later become known as Coordinators following the Power of My Voice, grew desperate for relief from the attacks of the Lawyers. Around 1994, in rapid fashion, the core organizational procedures of the Camarilla were changed so frequently and so quickly, that the Lawyers without Borders could not keep up, instead focusing on the rules of the LARP. Eventually it was impossible to find a Lawyers without Borders who was concerned with anything besides the game.

Slow to react, the Storytellers desperately threw out supplement after supplement, and like chum trying to keep the sharks away, it was destined to fail. The Lawyers without Borders became entrenched as rules lawyers for the game of the Camarilla, and for awhile the insidious plans of the Coordinators seemed to have worked.

However, the Storytellers did get their revenge. On a dark evening in a concealed location deep in the Tibetan mountains, rumored to be a wellspring of demonic power, a crazed Storyteller and his minions brought struggling Lawyers without Borders, bound and blindfolded. What was intended for them is almost too hideous to relay, but the story must be told.

Throughout that dark night in those circles of evil, rituals hideous and unnatural were performed on the captured Lawyers without Borders. Finally, in a crescendo of foul magic's and shouting chants, the deranged Storyteller raised the Tome of the Kindred above his head revealing the section entitled "Grievance Procedure". The words of the Grievance Procedure seared into the eyes of the now half-human half-demon creatures, and the Grievance Filers were born.

The Grievance Filers were originally intended as a dagger aimed at the heart of the Coordinators. However chaos is wont to run amok, and now adays none are safe from these predators. They spawn asexually, often times springing into being fully grown from to all appearances a previously normal member.

As time wore on, the obvious signs of the taint (horns, cloven hooves, tentacles dripping poison) faded, allowing the Grievance Filers to "assimilate" into the fabric of the organization. It is by now almost impossible to identify a Grievance Filer from any other member of the Camarilla community, except that when they sense a grievance in the making their eyes will glow for a brief second with a hellish red light. However by then its already too late, only excommunication can free a victim of a Grievance Filer after they've started.

Grievance Filers have no loyalty to the path, often setting upon each other with ferocity unmatched. Others following different paths are advised to stay far clear when two Grievance Filers begin filing on each other, innocent bystanders can be sucked in and ground to dust during the proceedings.

=== Common Abilities ===

<ul>

<li> Take offense

<li> Quote the Tome Verbatim

<li> Exaggerate injury

<li> Legalize incessantly

<li> Retire in Protest Multiple Times

<li> Preferred Disciplines

</ul>

The Hand-Wringers do not have a favorite discipline for their own use. What is a signature mark of the path however, is to take any use of a discipline by another on their characters as an indication of an out-of-game attempt to "get them".

<ul>

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#La_Route_Fonce.27_du_Fromage Fromagists] – These ass kissers get all sorts of favors from their buddy ST's…why else would they always get the cool stuff approved. It's a rampant indication of favoritism that the Fromagists prosper, file a Complaint against the CST anytime they approve something submitted by a Cheese-Head.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#MC_Climbers MC Climbers] – Some of our most hated foes follow this path, for they put forward that MC makes right, and not the copious use of the Grievance Procedure. However they are also at their weakest against us, strip their MC back down through repeated Disciplinary actions. Even if you just get a few prestige points removed the hurt is magnified in their eyes.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Min.2FMaxer.27s Min/Maxers] – Better than the Fromagists for they use what their given rather than kissing butt for bennies, the Min/Maxers and Grievance Filers only conflict when it comes to a Min/Maxer wiping the floor back and forth with a Grievance Filer's poorly constructed character. Before they can initiate the final killing blow though, indicate OOC that you wish an Arbitration between the two players. The mere threat that they'll have to leave XP-gaining sanctioned play for two weeks is enough to get them to stay their hand. That this threat is a bluff and impossible to enforce goes further to prove the Min/Maxer has never read the Grievance Procedure in the Tome.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Lawyers_Without_Borders Lawyers without Borders] – These former comrades are now just more souls to be sacrificed to the fell lords. They retain the basic abilities we have perfected over time, but focus on the game rules. Be watchful, the older Debaters remember the days when there was no separation of camps, and their circular logic can cripple any complaint you file. Instead go around them when filing a grievance, so they can not directly argue it.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Path_of_Elitism Elitists] – Spineless sycophants. They curr favor from the masses and flock to the latest pretty thing (unless they are the latest pretty thing). The Path of the Hand-Wringer is one of loneliness and solitude, not groupies and adulation. Where they compromise ideals to "fit in", you crusade absurdities to ensure that you will never be "part of the establishment". Pity them, ignore them, but if they cross your path destroy them. Elitists are the first to throw in a towel and retire from the Camarilla when confronted with reams of bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo that is the grievance procedure.

<li> [http://wiki.white-wolf.com/camwiki/index.php?title=Camarilla_LARP_Paths_of_Enlightenment#Power_of_My_Voice Power of My Voice] – Easy feeding for a hungry Vampire. Almost any discussion in which you disagree they are sure to attempt to use the Power of their Voice, so try to provoke it in them. Once this happens you can slap them with a Code of Conduct violation so fast they'll think they were hit by a Fromagist's Fae-Born Abomination Rage-Enhanced Expert Celerity/Quicksilver follow-up attack.

</ul>

<ul>

<li> Not meditating on the Dispute Resolution section of the Tome for at least 20 minutes a night.

<li> Taking something in context, then repeating it in context.

<li> Blowing off a poor comment or unfavorable remark.

<li> Avoiding email to have a face to face or phone call discussion on a heated topic.

<li> Filing a grievance with anything less than 30 pages detailing a minimum of three charges.

<li> Working directly with another human being rather than appealing to the next highest officer.

<li> Writing an email voicing concern without cc'ing either a public list or more than five other officers.

<li> Settle a dispute by talking to another member without involving Coordinators.

<li> Applying the Code of Conduct to yourself.

<li> Not attempting to drain the spirit of a higher membership class player through the Grievance Procedure when the opportunity presents itself.

</ul>

TheGlyphstone

Hellis

Swedish Larper here. Sweden (and Scandinavia in general) have a very broad larping comunity, generally concentrated around A few Bigger Fantasy larps. We ar talking 2000+ people per larp. it is pretty swell. What I never get, is people larping with stats, to me that defeats the purpose and kills all sense of Immersion.

LunarSage

Because without stats, it's not a game anymore.  It's just a soap opera.  I know I wouldn't like that, personally (though I don't knock it for other people).  Also, you can't really fairly handle combat without stats and a system.  Otherwise it's like 'cops and robbers'. 

"Bang!  Gotcha!"  "Did not!"

I realize that for some, combat is the last thing they would like to have happen in their LARP experiences, but it's not just combat.  It's affecting another character in any way with a supernatural ability.  In Vampire that includes Presence, Dominate, Dementation and other Disciplines.

For me though, I don't have fun unless I'm throwing some R/P/S challenges at least a couple times in a session.  We had a session a feew games ago that was nothing but RP and I was so bored.

I guess it goes to show that different folks have different expectations about role-playing, heh.

EDIT:  2,000+ people per LARP?  O.O

That's insane... how do even find that many people who game in one city?  We're lucky to get ten to show up in our domain, and at regional games of the month, 30 to 40 is a lot.

Where I live, I doubt there are even 2,000 people who know what role-playing is amongst the entire population of the area.

Hellis

What, well I guess we have one stat. And that is how much you can take before you can go down. Trust me when i say it is nothing like soapopera where I live.  I suppose I can see it's use in something like Vampire. The larps on wich I am, it is mainly about the ROLE PLAYING, rather then the game. You have HP, wich equates to either 2, 3, 4 or 5 depending on what you play and what armor you wear. Further more, if you get hit, and you do not act like it you quickly find yourself banned. And as you said, different people want different things.

As for the amount; Sweden is a small country, 9 million people. Travel distance isnt to much of a hassle, and we have massive forests to play in. We build an entire village every year, with tents, taverns. Entire familys show up to just play as a medival fantasy family admist the chaos. Me, I play an orch, not the goofy green kind, but the LOTR, nasty kind. Larps tha reach several hundred people isn't rare in europe, fantasy larps that is. it is a costly hobby thou, high quality larps means you have to invest in makeup, make masks out of latex, build massive gear out of leather and the like. Atleast if you are orch.

TheGlyphstone

That might explain a bit of the disconnect - I assume your LARP is boffer-style, with fake weapons and gear?

In Vampire, there's none of thevast amounts of snootiness about 'ROLEPLAYING' versus mechanics (directed towards even more rules-heavy systems, naturally), but the rules explicitly forbid physical contact unless mutually agreed upon. Thus, you need a mechanical means of resolving any conflict, down to a slap in the face.

LunarSage

That's very true.  Physical contact in any way is a no no in the Camarilla.  Nor are we allowed to have actual weapons, even boffers.  We have to use a 3x5 card that says "sword" and lists it's stats.

Hellis

yeah, that would explain it. Yeah, boffer swords are the thing you use her, for good and bad. The bad aspect is that you have people who are only out to boffer, mainly the smaller ones. Even so, the boffer swords and what not are not the terrible, taped stick I saw in videos of other larps. But things usually handcrafted to look as mcuh as asword as possible and that give you a nice visual. We also have larps with actua l steel weapons. Obviusly fighting there acts more as marque vs Marque basis, and only people proven trustworthy enough are allowed to use weapons then. There are also the post apoc, soft airgun larps. They are tons of fun. One shot, one kill basis of course, unless you are like, hit in the leg.

SeraphBlade07

I used to play a Gangrel. but then it got too far when my bf worked the next morning and now we don't go because well...it's too far now.  I used to play garou as well. I miss Larping...

LunarSage

So I got the new BNS Vampire the Masquerade LARP book today.  The system is really, really good.  I like that there really are no "if you don't take this and this, your build is weak" aspects.  You only get 7 points in merits and there are so many that are good.  Has anyone else been looking at this new system?  I'm excited to play it this month.

TheGlyphstone

BNS is a thing of wonder and beauty.

Two decades of splatbook bloat? Gone. Simple, effective on-the-fly NPC generation? Finally exists. The need to make actual hard choices over which special perks/merits you want? Here. 'Flaws' that have no actual mechanical effect and are just freebie points reliant on optional RP? Removed. Smooth combat that doesn't devolve into five minutes of retests? At last. Distinct mechanical advantages to playing neonates/ancilla instead of elders, to combat their social disadvantages? Provided. It's an ST's dream package.

Heck, I play a Tremere in Camarilla, and I love the new rules despite the spiked flaming nerf bat they beat Thaumaturgy with.

LunarSage

Heh, ironically they gave some -really- cool stuff to my favorite clan, the Salubri Warriors (they can call them Salubri Antitribu all they want... they're the descendants of those who were trained by Samiel, who was taught by Ennoia and Brujah in the days of Enoch.  The ones who fought the holy wars alongside the Assamites against the scourge of the Baali.).  They got some cool merits to help deal with demonic stuff and they replaced Valeren 4 with something actually deserving of a level 4 Discipline! 

Before:  Ending the Watch - You touch a mortal (and only a mortal) and cause him to die painlessly... but only if he truly wanted to die in the first place.

Now:  Armor of Caine's Fury - Badass mystical armor that gives you extra defense rating -and- is immune to any abilities or powers that would normally bypass armor.

Which is the better power for the warrior subset of a clan?

TheGlyphstone

They had to give Salubri something, to make up for the utter suck of their Clan-specific merits. I haven't read Clanbook: Salubri, but when did the Salubri become The Clan What Hunts Demons And Only Demons All The Time, Yo?

LunarSage

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 07, 2014, 09:10:11 PM
They had to give Salubri something, to make up for the utter suck of their Clan-specific merits. I haven't read Clanbook: Salubri, but when did the Salubri become The Clan What Hunts Demons And Only Demons All The Time, Yo?

*laughs*

In the Salubri Clanbook of course... and that was pre-revised!  :-)

They and the Assamites fought the Baali and other demons at the behest of Saulot and Samiel.  Some say that Saulot helped create the Baali and so tried to use his children to wipe out the horrible mistake he had made.

The Salubri are also supposed to be the Keepers of Raphiel's Promise, that Golconda can be attained.  I had a Salubri character who took that stuff very seriously.

Silverfyre

Sadly, Mind's Eye went belly up for a lot of domains down here in SW Florida, including our own.  We decided to break away after a shit ton of petty politics and typical social BS started ruining games for everyone.  The worst part was that it chased away a lot of good folks and new people.  So, we are no longer part of MES but did form our own LARP troupe that has been throwing some bad-ass games.

I had to chime in on the BNS book.  It is not only a thing of beauty but mechanical balance.  This game has needed it so much and here it is.  Damned shame our group doesn't really care to try it out.  I has a sad.

TheGlyphstone

That is a real shame. Drama is inescapable and poisonous.

I just remarked to another player at afters last week, 'being in this club is like going back to high school, if high school was populated entirely by middle-aged housewives'.

As for the book itself, I was mildly amused by the unambiguously blatant expansion/splatbook hooks written in a few places, like the Lasombra clan merit that makes the character count as an Abyssal mystic and eligible for other abilities that require Abyssal mysticism...none of which are in the book. So I suppose splat creep will come eventually.

LunarSage

That's two bad, Silverfyre.. on both fronts (your domains dying and your troupe game not wanting to try the new system).

Welcome back, by the way!  ;D

Silverfyre

It is.  We had three domains fold in under six months.  The Florida community had gotten that bad apparently.  Oh well, gaming goes on!

And thanks!  I just hope to be able to test-drive that system some day with folks! 

LunarSage

That sucks.  Our domain is going strong.  We have our GotM (Toreador Ball) coming up later this month and I'm really looking forward to it.  It'll be Werewolf the Apocalypse, Cam/Anarch and then Accord (I don't much care for the NWoD stuff).  I was the first player in our domain to gain a rank in WtA (Fostern to Adren Get of Fenris Ahroun), so that was exciting.

Silverfyre

Sounds like a blast!  Accord has such promise too but I have yet to see how it has played out.  Have fun at your GotM!

TheGlyphstone

Heard about your game over the lists, LS. Regretting my lack of personal transportation even more now (the local carpool group going there is full up).

Weird how small worlds overlap and get smaller sometimes, like the time last (full) Sabbat chronicle where I found out Silverfyre was my Sabbat character's sire after the fact.

LunarSage

Quote from: Silverfyre on March 09, 2014, 07:04:16 PM
Sounds like a blast!  Accord has such promise too but I have yet to see how it has played out.  Have fun at your GotM!

Thanks!

Yeah the only Accord game I played left a really bad taste in my mouth.  They had a national NPC come to the game that was immune to anything we as a group could do to it.  It's like, why even have the character come to the game if we can do nothing against it?  Not even to kill him, just to disrupt what he was trying to do.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 09, 2014, 07:04:33 PM
Heard about your game over the lists, LS. Regretting my lack of personal transportation even more now (the local carpool group going there is full up).

Weird how small worlds overlap and get smaller sometimes, like the time last (full) Sabbat chronicle where I found out Silverfyre was my Sabbat character's sire after the fact.

Aww too bad you couldn't make it.  Our VSTs have some seriously fun times prepared.

Maybe someone in the carpool will cancel.

Silverfyre

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 09, 2014, 07:04:33 PM

Jasper remains one of my favorite characters.  I was so happy to have him eat his sire and an Archbishop before the end.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LunarSage on March 09, 2014, 07:07:36 PM
Aww too bad you couldn't make it.  Our VSTs have some seriously fun times prepared.

Maybe someone in the carpool will cancel.

I'd still have to shell out for a hotel room, or a share of one, and that's non-negligible right now with my zero net income.

Quote from: Silverfyre on March 09, 2014, 07:08:43 PM
Jasper remains one of my favorite characters.  I was so happy to have him eat his sire and an Archbishop before the end.

He was fun. I'm still sad how the Bogota event got railroaded out, though I continue to hold it up (and my experiences vis-a-vis Venerio+Co.) as how PvP can actually be fun sometimes.

LunarSage

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 09, 2014, 07:12:48 PM
I'd still have to shell out for a hotel room, or a share of one, and that's non-negligible right now with my zero net income.

I may be able to find you some crash space via our local list if you seriously had a way to make it.  Send me a PM if that ends up being the case.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LunarSage on March 09, 2014, 07:14:38 PM
I may be able to find you some crash space via our local list if you seriously had a way to make it.  Send me a PM if that ends up being the case.

I'll think about it, but odds are slim, and it's bumping up against the edge of my vacation week.

TheGlyphstone

Unrelated, but I need ideas for an upcoming game this weekend, and I might as well outsource here as well as to my team of RL assistants.

The Sabbat game theme is Festivo, a big celebration of vampirism and being awesome badass monsters of Caine. What I'm trying to think up is a night full of activities/contests/games that serve a dual purpose - A), "revel in being a vampire, provoke one’s vampiric nature, and celebrate immortality bylaughing in the face of death", and B) give people a hands-on primer/demo in aspects of the new rules.

So far, I've come up with one idea, a game where each pack in the city goes out and kidnaps/recruits a mortal who ends up as their champion in a gladiatorial deathmatch; A) demonstrates vampiric superiority over the herd, and B) shows how Stock NPCs work. Stuff like that.

LunarSage

I'd make the NPC very generic too, and if he/she survives offer him/her up as a PC new Sabbat for anyone who's interested in that as a background.

TheGlyphstone

The NPCs are almost certainly going to be killed, unless someone decides to ghoul or embrace them, just 2-dot Stock NPCs as hands-on explanation of how those rules work. What I need is random ideas for other, similar activities/games/rites that serve a similar dual-focus purpose in and out of game, things that demonstrate how the rules and setting are different than the old LotN setting.