News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Camarilla and LARPing in General

Started by LunarSage, April 16, 2012, 08:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

Is anyone else here a member?  What venues do you play?  What's your MC?  When did you join? 

(Obviously, no one post their member number here as that would give anyone information about your actual identity.)

I play Cam/Anarch and Sabbat.  I just joined in February (although I had the opportunity to join way back in 97, but I chose to pursue troupe games instead) and I'm already MC 3.  I should be MC 4 most of the way to MC 5 before next month.  I'm looking to become an Assistant domain storyteller and possibly eventually take over the duties of domain coordinator and Sabbat venue Storyteller.

I love that you can earn prestige by helping your community with volunteer work and charity drives.  It surprises me how completely into Cam I've gotten.  I use a deck of special cards instead of throwing rock/paper/scissors by hand... so far it's worked out great.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Silverfyre

Yes, I know we don't exactly see eye to eye on a lot of things but I had to weigh in on the Camarilla and LARPing as I am also a member.  Welcome aboard! I hope you are enjoying yourself so far :)

Both Star and I have been members since 2007.  I currently am the DST for our domain down here in SE region of the United States and I also run our Sabbat venue as the VST.  I play Changeling NWOD, Sabbat, Cam/Anarch, Geist and we do a few troupe games as well, with Mortals and Garou (OWoD venues, again).  My current MC level is 9 with the DST loan.  Gotta love that loan system!

I think the fact that it is a not-for-profit gaming organization and charity now that they broke away from White Wolf is awesome. The club has gone through some extensive restructuring lately but it is back into the hands of the players and has shaped up rather nicely, if you ask me.  The community aspect of it is great. 

Star Safyre

MC 6 here!  I of course play in all the venues the mister above me here does.  I was involved in troupe games for about ten years prior (give or take a couple of dead spots), the Cam having a bit of a bad reputation as being all kill-boxes and being more roll play than role-play.  I joined at first just to play nWoD Changeling, which lasted for about a year, and then I renewed my membership and have been a happy Cammy since oWoD was reinstated.

Our local games are awesome, and I enjoyed the role-play that I am able to take part in online (my limited free time being the major limiting factor).  I'm actually looking forward to the next chronicle and the ability to play any WW game, at the very least locally.  It'll be nice to have our troupe Apocalypse game official, seeing how we're all Cammies playing it anyway.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

TheGlyphstone

Mind's Eye Society, thankyaverymuch. ;D Or, if you prefer, The Roleplaying Club Formerly Known As Camarilla.

MC4, about to hit MC5, been playing since 2008 or so. It's only NuVamp and OldVamp locally, though I enjoyed Mage and Changeling while they lasted locally.

Also, argh - two 'Fyres' in one thread, will be confusing.

Silverfyre

...do you play a Nosferatu antitribu by chance?

Star Safyre

And I felt the totally self-indulgent urge to share that VtM was the first role-playing experience I ever had. 

Has anyone made it to a regional event?  We made it to SERE and GM so far, but I don't think we're up for traveling farther than that.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Silverfyre on April 16, 2012, 07:03:10 PM
...do you play a Nosferatu antitribu by chance?

Me? Actually, yes I do. Why? ???

Silverfyre

I think I play your sire, Jasper Chamberlain.

TheGlyphstone

...well holy crap. Small world, ain't it? ;D

Noddists represent, yo.

Star Safyre

Such a beautiful reunion... *wipes eyes*

I actually play the character at the bottom of that lineage.  Like bottom of the watery barrel bottom.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Star Safyre on April 16, 2012, 07:42:25 PM

Such a beautiful reunion... *wipes eyes*

No, I think it's more like the scene in Fight Club where the Narrator goes to a restaurant and sees the waiter with a black eye from the previous night's fighting.

Silverfyre

I thought the email address you used looked familiar but chalked it up to coincidence.  Funny how that works out, eh?  Too awesome!

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, using the same email/forum handle everywhere I go will probably eventually come back to bite me - probably when I'm trying to get a job and the interviewer turns out to be someone I had a failed RP with on here or something, but I'm too lazy to come up with a new one by now.

Silverfyre

Heh, I am the same way with working "Silverfyre" into my email addresses and what not.  I can see that job interview.

"Wait, didn't you play that Nosferatu at SERE?  The one who puked on me in front of Conclave?"

"...yes?"

"Well then, you just lost your Acknowledged status and have earned the negative status trait "Continual Unemployment".  Have a nice day!"

Star Safyre

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 16, 2012, 07:44:12 PM
No, I think it's more like the scene in Fight Club where the Narrator goes to a restaurant and sees the waiter with a black eye from the previous night's fighting.

True.  We are talking about the Sabbat here.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Star Safyre on April 16, 2012, 07:49:05 PM
True.  We are talking about the Sabbat here.

Well, I was thinking more with the analogy of two completely unrelated social circles/environments you wouldn't ever expect to overlap, but you've got a good point there too.

Callie Del Noire

I joined REALLY early on...when it was first announced. Then couldn't find anyone to play in the area..then joined the navy and never got into it. Naturally six weeks after basic a branch showed up in the Charlotte area

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 16, 2012, 08:17:01 PM
I joined REALLY early on...when it was first announced. Then couldn't find anyone to play in the area..then joined the navy and never got into it. Naturally six weeks after basic a branch showed up in the Charlotte area

You don't still live in that area, do you? Because that would be one too many freaky coincidences than I could handle right now, since my Sabbat PC is currently on a proxy to Charlotte.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 16, 2012, 08:52:24 PM
You don't still live in that area, do you? Because that would be one too many freaky coincidences than I could handle right now, since my Sabbat PC is currently on a proxy to Charlotte.

Sorry.. no longer live in the Carolinas.. too little in the job market and violates my iron clad '1/2 day' rule.

TheGlyphstone

Phew. Like I said, that would have been too many coincidences to handle in one dose.

LunarSage

Quote from: Silverfyre on April 16, 2012, 11:13:14 AM
Yes, I know we don't exactly see eye to eye on a lot of things but I had to weigh in on the Camarilla and LARPing as I am also a member.  Welcome aboard! I hope you are enjoying yourself so far :)

Both Star and I have been members since 2007.  I currently am the DST for our domain down here in SE region of the United States and I also run our Sabbat venue as the VST.  I play Changeling NWOD, Sabbat, Cam/Anarch, Geist and we do a few troupe games as well, with Mortals and Garou (OWoD venues, again).  My current MC level is 9 with the DST loan.  Gotta love that loan system!

I think the fact that it is a not-for-profit gaming organization and charity now that they broke away from White Wolf is awesome. The club has gone through some extensive restructuring lately but it is back into the hands of the players and has shaped up rather nicely, if you ask me.  The community aspect of it is great.

Right on.  We're in the East Central Region, ourselves.  I never got into the new WoD setting, myself, although I do like the system.  It's funny you should mention the Sabbat thing.  Truth be told I'm considering taking over our local Sabbat VST position at some point.  I do love the Sabbat.  In fact, Josi and I actually met in '99 in one of the html chat Sabbat games on white-wolf.com (before they shut down all the old WoD chats). 

I've been trying to get her to come to a game and at least check it out.  She's promised to at least watch and see if she'd like it, but she had a bad experience with a troupe LARP game back in Washington State (the game was -full- of drama and cliques), so she's leery of it.  The Cam (yeah I still call it the Camarilla) seems to have cracked down on that sort of crap since the early days.  I'm very pleased with our venue/domain.  Everyone is very nice and understanding, especially to new players. 

Apparently, although I'm new to Cam I've impressed some people with my knowledge of the setting.  People want me to ST or at least assist.  I need to get the system down first, though.  It shouldn't take long before I feel I'm ready.

Oh yeah, do you guys use your hand for the test (rock/paper/scissors) or do you use cards?  I use homemade laminated cards; three with rock, three with scissors and three with paper/bomb (since there's really no point in throwing paper if you have the bomb.  The bomb is defeated by scissors just like paper, but paper only defeats rock and ties with paper, whereas the bomb defeats both rock and paper).  Since there's a definite psychology to R/P/S using your hand that can exploited by some, the cards give it a true sense of randomness and makes it fair all around in my opinion.

Currently I play a Schismatic Assamite, a "Brujah" (Caitiff) Scholar and a Brujah Antitribu, though I plan on ditching my scholar next month once I have my MC 4 to make a 10th gen Gargoyle (High Approval but I'm confident that I can get it).

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

TheGlyphstone

Yay EC. Totally the best region.

I'm building up my ST-experience right now as aVST Sabbat, though I don't really do much except oversee chops when people need it.

Silverfyre

I've met some good players out in the EC region.  We've been out in the SE region since joining the Cam and Florida is a really, really active state for LARPers and Cammies in general.  It's great.  We're in one of the smaller regions but a twelve-fifteen player game is pretty good as far as I'm concerned, especially with being the DST out here.  Heh.

Sabbat is my favorite venue as well, hence why I took over the VST position.  Aside from our Garou troupe game, it is our most popular venue.  We stopped LARPing for about two years with the Cam because of a bad gaming experience (again, drama and the like) but got talked back into it by a good friend who is also a Cammie (I'm going to call it Cam too as it is just what it will always be to me, so I feel you there!) and the offending ST had been dealt with.  The guy basically told Star she couldn't play a tom-boy character concept because he wanted more "feminine women" in his game.  The guy was a real asshole.

I've been playing White Wolf games since '96 so yeah, I have a handle on the system and the setting.  World of Darkness remains one of my favorites and they have done a lot of neat stuff with NWoD even, although I will always like OWoD better.

If I remember my deck (much the same as yours, save I picked it up at a con a few years back), I use it.  My players can apparently read me like a book and I lose...constantly. It's hilarious, really.  Heh.

And good luck on getting your Gargoyle approved.  I find that bribing RSTs with liquor helps.  Then again, mine is a local player so I can torment his characters in the Sabbat venue in retaliation for no approvals.  Heh.

Star Safyre

Quote from: Silverfyre on April 17, 2012, 10:34:54 AM
The guy basically told Star she couldn't play a tom-boy character concept because he wanted more "feminine women" in his game.  The guy was a real asshole.

That and he tried to completely rewrite my sheet, not because anything was wrong with my point count but because I hadn't "optimized" the character.  So not only did he try to stuff my character into the gender roles he wanted but also insulted by ability to build a character in the first place.  Guh... he was an ass.

Good luck on the Gargoyle approval!  I've only been able to interact with one so far this chronicle, and he was alright.  I'd certainly like to see more flying around. *da-dum chick!*

My current Cam characters are a 14th generation Nosferatu Pander on the Path of Lilith, an old Confederate widow Anarch who's the Vox Populi of the Movement (or whatever they're calling it now), an Independent Daughter of Cacophony, and my changeling is a Summer Court Draconic who is the badest-ass kung-fu unicorn ever (or so she thinks).

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Star Safyre on April 17, 2012, 03:11:54 PM
That and he tried to completely rewrite my sheet, not because anything was wrong with my point count but because I hadn't "optimized" the character.  So not only did he try to stuff my character into the gender roles he wanted but also insulted by ability to build a character in the first place.  Guh... he was an ass.

Good luck on the Gargoyle approval!  I've only been able to interact with one so far this chronicle, and he was alright.  I'd certainly like to see more flying around. *da-dum chick!*

My current Cam characters are a 14th generation Nosferatu Pander on the Path of Lilith, an old Confederate widow Anarch who's the Vox Populi of the Movement (or whatever they're calling it now), an Independent Daughter of Cacophony, and my changeling is a Summer Court Draconic who is the badest-ass kung-fu unicorn ever (or so she thinks).

And people wonder why we sometimes have trouble getting women to join our hobbies....

I've only got 2 active characters myself - the 10th gen Sabbat Nos Antitribu that's Silverfyre's childe, and my Invictus Ventrue Macellarius in Requiem. Best. Bloodline. Ever. Even if I do need help getting into my costume.