Moving Across Country {Halp Meh}

Started by Braioch, April 09, 2014, 07:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Braioch

Okay, in a couple of months I plan to move across the country (Michigan to Arizona)

One problem, that entails moving my things.

Now currently, I'll be getting a good chunk of money, hopefully around 2k in June more than likely. Now I do hope to have a job by then, but recent circumstances have complicated that, but I hope to smooth out that rough spot by the end of the week.

My question is this, what is the cheapest (and if you can swing it, quickest/easiest) way for me to get me and my stuff down there?

I will note that I will be going through my stuff and getting rid of quite a bit of it, I don't know what I'll be left with, but I think the biggest things I'll have will be like my TV and my entertainment system. I hopefully won't have a shit ton of things to take.

So watcha got for me? (pwease have something)
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Inkidu

I've seen ads for PackRat. It's a private storage container that they'll move for you.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Crimson Caine

Having moved a few times, though this was before stuff like PODS, I think the cheapest I found is renting a Uhaul or that like.  You basically have to trade sweat equity for money as you have to do all the hauling and such instead of having someone do it for you, including packing up the truck.  I've moved across multiple states doing this.  Now, it does suck majorly if you are like me and don't have a crap load of friends you can sucker into helping you for pizza and drinks but it is the cheapest.  I think any moving service or the like is a pretty heavy jump up in price.
The pious pretense that evil does not exist only makes it vague, enormous and menacing. – Aleister Crowley
CC's O/O
CC's Request Thread
CC's Disappearing Routine (A/A)

Valthazar

Do you think you will be able to fit everything into a cargo trailer behind your car?  That's your cheapest option. 

I just checked the U-Haul website, and you can get a 7 day rental of a 4x8 cargo trailer for $385 and a 5x8 cargo trailer for $514 from Detroit to Phoenix.  Then you've got gas (assuming $3.25/gallon and 15 mpg) which would be a total of about $433. 

It isn't a good idea to drive more than 500 miles/day, so let's say it takes you 4 days to drive there, that will be about $300 total for motel stays.  Food and moving supplies will likely be another $100 or so.  So I would say you could pull it off for just under $1,500 at a minimum.  I really don't think you can get much cheaper than this, and still play it safe.

If you're going to need a truck though, it will unfortunately get really pricey, and then you'll need to figure out a way to get your car there as well.