Windows XP

Started by CriminalMindsFan, March 31, 2014, 04:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CriminalMindsFan

One of my laptops has XP as the operating system. Should it still be safe to use after Microsoft drops support for it?

All I plan to use it for is checking e-mails, browsing Amazon and online banking once the support from Microsoft is pulled. I don't expect to use it for any other online stuff like this site and other websites.

Oniya

I'd avoid using it for online banking.  The support that they are withdrawing is not releasing any more security updates, which means that the people that write exploits/malware are going to probably declare open season on that OS. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

sleepingferret

I may even avoid using it for online shopping, as that also is your personal information at risk.  Perhaps not as directly (or perhaps not as much) as online banking, but it is still your credit card (or Paypal, etc.) account(s).

CriminalMindsFan

I will continue to surf web lightly on that laptop. The primary purpose for that laptop is to operate my 3-in-1 printer/scanner/copier so at times I can even disconnect the laptop from the internet. It isn't a WiFi enabled laptop and has Internet Security installed on it.

Oniya

Should be fine for that.  Like I said, it's the security aspect that's making me antsy to get my new one*.  Definitely not going to be doing the bill-paying through the XP machine.

*That, and playing Minecraft with a reasonable amount of memory and graphics...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Jag

Like everyone else has said, I'd avoid it for secure information...but for general use, it should be fine.

My laptop is XP and not about to be changed any time soon (mostly because it's in Korean and I can't figure out the prompts, but that's my own personal issue). I still plan on using mine for writing and general websurfing.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

From what I was told, in order to upgrade an XP machine to Win8, your best bet is to suck all your documents off of it and reformat.  That would solve the Korean problem, at any rate...

Vekseid

Quote from: CriminalMindsFan on March 31, 2014, 04:14:09 PM
One of my laptops has XP as the operating system. Should it still be safe to use after Microsoft drops support for it?

All I plan to use it for is checking e-mails, browsing Amazon and online banking once the support from Microsoft is pulled. I don't expect to use it for any other online stuff like this site and other websites.

Security is a matter of the attack vectors you expose it to.
- Are you sure your e-mail client will continue to be updated?
- Are you sure your browser will continue to be updated?
- Any IM programs you may be using?
- etc.

CriminalMindsFan

Quote from: Vekseid on April 02, 2014, 01:46:53 PM
Security is a matter of the attack vectors you expose it to.
- Are you sure your e-mail client will continue to be updated?
- Are you sure your browser will continue to be updated?
- Any IM programs you may be using?
- etc.

I am and will continue to use Firefox on that laptop. E-mail is through Yahoo or Gmail via web only. No IM program installed on that laptop. Also, I never download music, videos or pictures when using that laptop.