Harry Potter and the Rise of the Dark Lord (Looking for Harry and Draco)

Started by Rogue, April 03, 2014, 09:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue

Quote from: Google on April 09, 2014, 11:22:48 AM
Sorry it will be a day or two before I can get to any work, I had an intensely long day and tomorrow I have to do lunch with a 4 star because somehow (in spite of my best efforts) my leadership considers me a future leader...

Just gonna clarify. Do you want to be Tom officially?

The Golden Touch

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Rogue

The Golden Touch

Rogue

You interested love? I'm more looking for bad guys right now with the exception of Ron and Draco.  :)

The Golden Touch

I don't know if I could play Draco (Even if I do so love the character's possibilities). I could make an Evil OC though.

Rogue

Having a full evil base will be wonderful. Just let me know. :)

The Golden Touch

Ember Star

Yes. Both cannon and OC evils are being accepted right now ^_^
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Ember Star

I thought this was cute (link instead of embed because it's them as kids), and honestly I agree with it. I know Rowling said she regretted and should have put her with Harry. But I really can't see her with Harry, the idea of that never worked for me. I always saw Harry with Ginny, from the first book. The only alternative I could have seen for her is maybe Neville. Although putting her with Draco would have be fun. Or actually leaving her a unmarried career woman would have been a nice choice. But putting her with Ron was a nice choice overall because it put them as all part of the same family, and essentially made her and Harry brother and sister, which was the vibe I always got from them. And yes, she and Ron would bicker, but some of the best couples I know bicker their heads off but still love each other when they go to bed.

I don't understand shopping her with Snape ... I just don't. But maybe that's because I'm not into that age gap idea.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Rogue

Much rage Ember. I honestly hated the end pairings because it took someone literally pointing out to me that that's going to be the end pairing (and me denying it until the sixth book) for me to even see it. It might be because I hate the "we argue like a married couple!" logic.... actually it's entirely that logic. And that the one time Harry actually got into a fight with her was spurred on by Ron in the first place! JK putting Hermione with Ron was supporting emotionally abusive relationships not healthy ones, which is why she says she regretted it in the first place. JK putting Hermione and Harry as platonic would have been fine if she had left it for the fangirls to just go about as they pleased (aka not written the f'in epilogue in the first place!) Hell I was okay with the pairings until she perma placed them in canon. Simply because of the high school is high school logic. (ya don't necessarily marry who you date in high school)

Also, Ginny came out of fucking no where and was entirely out of Harry's character. "I don't want someone to like me because I'm famous" type doesn't go after the fan girl who's only dreamed about marrying him in the first place.

Ember Star

I disagree about Ginny, because she leveled out eventually and wasn't so fangirlly.

I don't necessarily consider Ron and Hermiome's relationship abusive, if anything she owned Ron for most of the time.

But I do see your points.

Personally I would have been happiest if she was left unmarried and ended up as a professor at Hogwarts. That was what I always hoped for her, since you really don't have to marry off everybody and it always annoys me when they do. That was one thing I loved about the Inheritance Cycle
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Eragon  and Arya didn't end up together, although the possibility was left open
I was so freaking grateful for that because I tire of every damn thing I read ending with who married who.

Ember Star

Of course, part of my dislike of shipping her with Harry is the fact that I really don't like Harry that much. Lol. Granted, he's okay. He's just the character that annoyed me the most. But I often feel that way about main characters in stories, I almost always like the supporting cast better than the main character.

Rogue

It's also a matter of that Harry and Hermione has always been my pairing (not that I'm going to force it here. Cannon is cannon after all as are her infatuations with Ron).

But, you say that she owned Ron for most of the time but they had more of a sibling like relationship in my opinion than Harry and Hermione. They treated each other like equals always. Ron had a "Hey! I'm the only one allowed to call her that!" attitude through most of the years (sixth and seventh books not withstanding because at that point there was leading of the nose into what JK was going for), and she fought with him constantly. The two of them together were almost exactly how me and my brother were until the last couple of years. Harry and Hermione always supported each other the way a couple should (and the way friends should as well.)

I also used to be a huge fan of Childhood Friend Romance trope(Warning: TV Tropes link). Like I think all of my main ships that came before the age of 13 (which include Harry Potter) have that trope involved. So.... Yeah.

I agree with you on the major points of Hermione is an independent woman who can flourish on her own. I just also think that she could have flourished as well under Harry where as I think she would have been stiffled with Ron.

And yeah, I like Harry more than Ron, but Harry's not all that great either. He suffered from Main character syndrome. Lol.

Ember Star

Rupert was also always (and is still) my crush given a choice between him and Daniel. So there you go. Lol. Although Ron was always a little annoying, towards the end he did finally come into himself and calm down.

I don't think Ron would have held her back though, and from what post book information was released, she wasn't. Ended up working and doing a lot for the MoM. Once they went through the first year, he was always a big supporter of her. Even if he was whiny and could be a bit of an ass. I actually saw their future relationship hinted at when they had to go through the levels to get to the stone in the first book. But Rowling may have been planning it that long.

Rogue

I hated Ron before the movies so I didn't have that cushion. He was just kinda exactly like my childhood tormentors.

Also, post book information yes lead it in that direction. But I've had this pairing in my head since book 3. Like "They gonna kiss" because I was what 10 or something? And I've had my thoughts of how Ron is as a person set since book 5. Which is bad on my part as he did grow, but I still kinda feel like he got let off easy for what happened in Deathly Hallows.

Rowling admitted in the article when she announced that she regretted it that it was what she'd been planning all along and was self fulfillment.

Also, bit of an ass? He tormented her constantly for doing things that she loved and being different. He's the reason she got trapped in the bathroom in the first place and Harry was the only reason she survived that! And he f'in left during the Hallows. Any of them could have done it but it was Ron. He knew what he was doing was wrong and he still decided to do it. (And saying it was the necklaces fault is just kinda letting him off easy. ALL of them wore the necklace equally after all....)

Sorry.... I really don't like Ron.

DarkAngel111

lol
to be honest,
I never liked Ron, he was like a liability. :P
Sure he was a GREAT friend, but he was a little over smart always lol.
Ron and hermione from the first book onwards were not comfortable with each other, and in general it seemed Hermione didn't like ron.. but things just shifted in seconds when they came together. But I think it was more on of those cliche' *I like my best friend's sister* idea she had rolling in her mind with Ginny and harry..
And towards the end Jk was more motivated with money than the characters (my personal opinion)
The writing was below average on the 7th book.

Inheritance on the other hand was great. Even the end was something you don't see in every novel. Specifically in Fiction.

Rogue

Inheritance grew and expanded to fit.

HP was going to end at book four but got famous so it continued.

Never mind all the effort she put into the characters and everything, because she did put a lot of effort into that. But the Hallows weren't meant to be a thing (Moody could see through the cloak for instance as could Dumbledore) nor were Horcruxes (thus why Dumbledore didn't get there faster after the Diary.)

At least that's my opinion on that matter....

Ember Star

That's actually part of what I like about Ron. He had flaws, but eventually he realized and learned from his flaws. And yeah, him leaving was annoying, but it made sense that it might effect him more. He was always self conscious because he was the youngest of his brothers and his brothers were all so good at things. He felt he had to live up to them, which is where I feel a lot of his flaws came from.

I like flawed characters because I like to see them grow and develop. Which he did.

I'm also a fan of both Snape and Draco for the same reason. They were extremely flawed, but proved in the end that they weren't all bad. Draco was just a coward who didn't know better, and Snape was the bravest person in the books.

Dumbledor too, although my opinion of him went way down after Snape's memories and finding out his end goal with Harry was always to have him die.

Although, to be completely and brutally honest. I always thought Harry should die. I mean, I know he did die, but die and stay dead. I didn't mind him living. But I always kind of thought he should maybe be killed off in the end and have the others go on in their lives. And it wasnt because of what I have against Harry as as I sparkly main character. It just always felt like it should fit. Apparently I was right though, just not in the way I expected. Lol
Quote from: DarkAngel111 on April 14, 2014, 11:24:54 AM
lol
to be honest,
I never liked Ron, he was like a liability. :P
Sure he was a GREAT friend, but he was a little over smart always lol.
Ron and hermione from the first book onwards were not comfortable with each other, and in general it seemed Hermione didn't like ron.. but things just shifted in seconds when they came together. But I think it was more on of those cliche' *I like my best friend's sister* idea she had rolling in her mind with Ginny and harry..
And towards the end Jk was more motivated with money than the characters (my personal opinion)
The writing was below average on the 7th book.

Inheritance on the other hand was great. Even the end was something you don't see in every novel. Specifically in Fiction.

I will say that I found the last book of Inheritance extremely boring. But I loved the ending.

I don't know that she was motivated by money for the last book. She had a shit ton by that time. But I do agree that it could have been better. It felt like there was too much in too small a place. Which tends to be the case in last books these days.

Inheritance - boring until it got to the end.
HP - too much going on and disappointed in some of the choices she made
Hunger Games - too much going on and ruined the main character for half if it.

Rogue

You say he developed but he still hadn't made amends for several major things for me (His behavior throughout the fourth book for instance) and it pissed me off that he wasn't held accountable because Harry is too forgiving and Hermione knew it wasn't worth it. He was never made to apologize at all and had zero consequences. I don't think he truly learned from his mistakes.

Snape didn't really learn IMO. He had absolutely no reason to be such a douche to Harry all the time and as an adult he had no excuse. I do like that she used a clever line in the first book in the questions to say he's sorry about Lily but goddamn there was no way harry would have known what he meant. I mean the whole reason Snape was a good guy was because JK wanted Alan Rickman to play a good guy in the end (by her own admission).

Draco proved he wasn't all bad but she  never got a chance to explore that fully, which is kinda what I wanna see here.

Dumbledore.... I have mixed feelings on Dumbledore.

Also, that was kinda the point of the Hunger Games series: War/fighting ruins people and surviving the Hunger games the first time had ruined Katniss...

Ember Star

I think after the end of the war Ron would have made up for some of those things. Because it really wasn't until then that he finally came into himself.

I agree ago Snape, but Snape had never forgiven James and Harry looked like James. Plus, he kind of treated everybody badly. However, I do think he learned. He just didn't want anybody to know he learned, especially by that time since he was the double agent.

But I do think it is ultimately Alan Rickman as Snape that makes Snape so amazing. Anybody else and he just wouldn't have had that grace.

I am looking forward to exploring the good side of Draco too.  Actually, the ship I wanted more than any other didnt come until the "19 years later", I so want to explore a friendship between their kids and his son and I want his son to marry either Rose or Lily. Like, as soon as I read that I started shipping it. Although I do feel like at least a friendship was hinted at between Rose and Scorpius.

And I know that was the point with HG. My problem actually wasnt so much the emotional distress. It was that she turned into a idiot. She stopped seeing the bigger picture. I guess she didnt much to begin with, but she did better which it in the first book

Rogue

I don't think she turned into an idiot so much as shut herself down to survive. The amount of pressure she went under from the beginning of the first book to the end was trauma enough. But being dragged back in in the second book? Add to that everything that happened in the third and it's just.... I can see why she shut down and why she was written in such a manner.

Back on topic: No one would make as good a Snape as Alan Rickman. Period. *laughs*

I kinda... ignore the epilogue for the most part. There are a couple of clever things, such as the last mention of Snape answering the first and such but certain things like the naming of the children? And pouring concrete around your pairings is just kinda a sore point for me.

Ember Star

Yeah. I would have preferred a six months later, or a year later, as instead of 19 years later. If she wanted to do one, make it closer to the end. It was too far ahead and unnecessary in my opinion. I feel like she only did it so she could name his kids James, Albus (which I do not approve of after what Dumbledore did. I did like his middle name being Snape's though), and Lily. Like.. what's the point? The one thing I really liked of it was the fact I get my Scorpius + Rose ship out of it. Lol.

Rogue

Ember Star

Lol. Hush. We all do it. And actually, it's the post book info on relationships that annoyed me more than the 19 years later. Mainly because no Nuna! :'(

My heart seriously broke when I read that according to that information, Nuna did not exist.