What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lilias on July 21, 2016, 08:03:42 AM
I felt some glee when I heard that. So he doesn't get to escape the mess he made.

OT: A tale of two brothers.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/brother-of-belgian-terrorist-heading-for-the-olympics-a-1103743.html

This story was shown here on tv too, it emphasizes again how the real criminals behind all this are the indoctrinators who generally get away with it, while their brainwashed followers blow themselves up for empty promises. I hope he can move on from all this, I can't imagine what it would be like to have your brother taken from you in such a way, even before his death.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Lustful Bride

Man Charged with leaving an Improvised Chemical Weapon in a Walmart.

Device was diffused by Hazmat Teams and the perpatrator will appear in court soon.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/man-charged-with-putting-chemical-weapon-in-a-walmart/ar-BBuB5tU?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

I hope they throw the book at him.

Lustful Bride

Oh wow...this is a political storm brewing. 0_0

UK submarine collides with Merchant vessel and Spain demands answers.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/spain-demands-explanation-over-collision-of-uk-navy-sub/ar-BBuBQSy?ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Lustful Bride

I like seeing stories like this, helping everyone come together.

BLM and police instead of a march all have a cookout together.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/these-black-lives-matters-protesters-planned-a-march-the-police-threw-them-a-cookout-instead/ar-BBuBhCw?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Also one really Strange news. Apparently next month the Last VCR producer is going to be shutting down all production.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/an-era-ends-as-the-last-vcr-maker-halts-production/ar-BBuBHyf?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

I honestly didn't know anyone still made or used VCRs.

Oniya

In a stunning case of 'Art imitates life', it turns out that the movie 'The Wolf of Wall Street' was financed by a Malaysian money-laundering scheme.

Remember kiddies, 'Greed is good.'  :P
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on July 21, 2016, 06:05:40 PM
In a stunning case of 'Art imitates life', it turns out that the movie 'The Wolf of Wall Street' was financed by a Malaysian money-laundering scheme.

Woooww.... no words X3

In other news, US Library of Congress fought off a cyber attack that dug into almost every file. Everything seems okay though, for now at least. :/

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/library-of-congress-fights-off-massive-cyberattack/ar-BBuCoI3?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Oniya on July 21, 2016, 06:05:40 PM

I should move to Malaysia and make some friends, it seems... Only not get caught like these guys did.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

AmberStarfire

TheGlyphstone

AmberStarfire

Yes. I was trying to think of a description to put when I posted that link, but.. nothing seemed right somehow, so I just left the link to speak for itself.

Sain

Another shooting in Munich Germany, many dead and more wounded, though couldn't find any numbers yet. The frequency of these strikes is absolutely batshit insane. No need to even guess at culprits' identity either.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

RedRose

Yes... I hear up to 15 victims, unfortunately. I hope not.
And only the worst attacks make it to international news. France has recently had stabbings (a mother and her daughters ranging from 8 to 14, "scantily clad"), various crazies attacking or threatening soldiers or random people, and so on. Everyone is SO fed up. Racism is through the roof. It stinks.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

AmberStarfire

That's really sad. :( I hadn't heard about that one yet.

Cassandra LeMay

EDIT: One thing I would like to point out (I wasn't aware of that myself until today): If you follow the news about what is going on in Munich and you read about police calling it a "terrorist attack" or a "terrorist situation" or the like - that does not currently say anything about the motives of the attackers. What it really is is a classification used by police to activate certain police protocols, e.g. mobilizing additional units, calling in backup from SWAT teams, asking for Federal police assistance, and so on. Police are treating it as a worst case scenario to be on the safe side, but that they use the term "terrorism" in this regard currently is an internal police classification. Motives of the attackers is still completely unknown.

Quote from: AmberStarfire on July 22, 2016, 01:36:35 PM
That's really sad. :( I hadn't heard about that one yet.
It's an ongoing situation. No wonder you hadn't heard about it yet. The whole thing started a little under 3 hours ago and hasn't been resolved yet.

Current information on Bayerischer Rundfunk (Bavaria's public broadcaster)say there are six dead and several wounded.

All in all, there are hardly any confirmed news at the moment. What I can gather is that there has been more than one attacker and that witnesses claim the perpetrators were armed with rifles, but it really all looks very confused and not clear at all.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Mithlomwen

My heart breaks more and more each time something like this happens.   :'(
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Beguile's Mistress

I just heard, on television, that 9 are dead and 7 are wounded.  Police are trying to clear the mall and locate the gunman.  They are conducting a city wide search and asking people to stay indoors. 

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Skynet on July 22, 2016, 06:11:24 PM
A brawl nearly breaks out at the RNC between members of The Young Turks radio show and Alex Jones' Infowars:

*dislikes both groups, channels my inner palpatine*

Let the hate flow through you.

In other news, Philadelphia Airport workers planning to go on strike. Anyone going there better make alterations.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/philadelphia-airport-workers-plan-to-strike-during-dnc/ar-BBuFroX?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 22, 2016, 05:05:29 PM
I just heard, on television, that 9 are dead and 7 are wounded.  Police are trying to clear the mall and locate the gunman.  They are conducting a city wide search and asking people to stay indoors.
As it turns out there are 9 killed, 16 injured (3 of them still in serious condition so the dead count might still rise).

The attacker is also dead. Apparently he took his own life. No information about his motives yet, but what is known is that he was an 18-year old German-Iranian with no police record. The other two people who have originally been thought to be involved have been cleared of any involvement. Also contrary to some original reports and witness statements, the weapon used was a pistol, not a rifle.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

TaintedAndDelish

Cassandra LeMay

Munich police just held a press conference and we now have a few more facts about the Munich attack yesterday:

1) If you follow the news and see the number of injured fluctuating and jumping up: After the initial attack and reporting on it there were several incidents of panic and overreaction/false alarms in other parts of the city. Those panics caused some injuries. Police are now counting those among the total caused by the initial attacks, but that does not mean the attacker himself injured more people than initially thought. It is, essentially, a change in "bookkeeping", so to speak, and not a sign that police/emergency services missed some victims.

2) The gun used was a Glock 9mm pistol with a filed-down serial number and the attacker had at least 300 bullets in his backpack when he took his own life. Chances are that gun and ammunition were acquired illegally.

3) While German-Iranian, the gunman was born in Germany. His parents both have jobs and the family lived in one of the better parts of Munich.

4) The home of the gunman has been searched and no evidence whatsoever was found that he had any islamist connections or interest in ISIS. His electronic media and computer are still being evaluated and searched for clues, but physical evidence (books and the like) has been found that he researched amok runs of the past.

5) The public prosecutor in the press conference mentioned that the gunman may have been in treatment for a condition he described as "on the depressive disorder spectrum" (as far as I can translate it, not being an expert on the exact clinical terminology), but cautioned that they are in the early stages of looking into this.

All in all this looks more and more like an amok run instead of an act of terrorism.

What really impresses me in all this tragedy is how calm pretty much all the key players, from police to politicians remain in the face of this tragedy, cautioning patience and waiting for facts, before jumping to conclusions and milking this for cheap propaganda. I am sure there are some voices in the media who are jumping on this to denounce migrants and asylum seekers that I am just not aware of, but I find some solace in the calm projected by our police and politicians in all this madness.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Mithlomwen

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on July 23, 2016, 04:18:27 AM
Wikileaks emails: Democratic officials 'plotted to expose Bernie Sanders' as an atheist
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/wikileaks-emails-democratic-officials-plotted-to-expose-bernie-sanders-as-an-atheist-a7151476.html

With all of the wrongdoing coming out now of the DNC purposefully trying to sabotage Bernie's chances of winning......is there any way that he can demand recounts, or have Hillary disqualified due to the sabotage of his campaign? 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Oniya

Quote from: Mithlomwen on July 23, 2016, 09:24:49 AM
With all of the wrongdoing coming out now of the DNC purposefully trying to sabotage Bernie's chances of winning......is there any way that he can demand recounts, or have Hillary disqualified due to the sabotage of his campaign?

I saw an article about this a while back - recounts would have to be paid for through his campaign fund.  And since that was being funded by small-dollar donations (avg $27 per person), it's probably not feasible.  There's a thing called a 're-caucus', but I think that's basically just bringing the delegates back in to revote.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Mithlomwen on July 23, 2016, 09:24:49 AM
With all of the wrongdoing coming out now of the DNC purposefully trying to sabotage Bernie's chances of winning.....
Where and when?

Don't get me wrong - I would have voted for Sanders if I were an American, but what exactly are you talking about? Is there any proof that the DNC did sabotage Sanders's chances of winning the primaries? All I see here is someone asking "could someone maybe ask Sanders such and such".

Sanders almost literally came out of left field into the primary and surprised a whole lot of people by throwing his hat into the ring. When people are surprised and unsure about a situation they tend to stick to their guns. That's human nature, not sabotage. Is there any evidence of a concerted effort by the DNC? All I can see right now is one email out of 20,000 that is kinda ambiguous. As far as smoking guns go this is kinda... tame.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Sara Nilsson

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/23/asia/afghanistan-explosion/index.html

80 dead and at least 260 injured in an ISIS suicide bomber in Kabul :( They expect the death toll to rise. *sighs* dont want to adult today