Interest Check - Power Rangers

Started by Kadigan, November 07, 2013, 07:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadigan

First time posting a game idea, so be gentle. So, I did a search and I saw a few games in the past, not sure whatever became of them, but I thought I would pitch out perhaps and see if there was any interest in a power rangers based game. It's kind of at the level of nostalgia for me now, where I had watched it when I was a kid and really enjoyed it. I would think perhaps that something back to the basic approach, set during modern times would be best.

The 5 original colors plus one or two more, depending on interest. I'd also be looking for a Co-GM to help with story and plot and such like that. My general thought was ranging from college level to in the work force, having to deal with the interruption to their lives, studies, etc..that sort. If anyone's interested feel free to voice it here, otherwise..well all I did was type some, no lose right?

Yukina

AndyZ

This is admittedly only peripheral, but Barbara, if you like the concept, there's an entire genre dedicated to this type of thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Sentai

Apologies if this doesn't come off as helpful.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Darwishi

I might be interested in playing one of the girls...especially if they run into some ah...naughty monsters? XDD

Batman4560

MaiMizzu

I think I could be interested in playing a female Ranger, depending on how we put it together of course. looking forward to brainstorming with y'all.
The definition of a hero, at least in my mind, is someone who can protect what is right. To change and stop the wrong. To fight against the forces that seek to destroy you. And, at the very least ... live life well, and enjoy it with those you love.

Yukina

So who are the current participants thinking of playing? I was planning on playing a female yellow ranger.

Darwishi

Unless BG has a problem with it, nothing says we couldn't have a female heavy force as opposed to the normal male-heavy one.  I would't mind playing a blue female or pink... XD

EDIT: or white, or silver, or teal or...any color really. =P

apygoos

Kadigan

I'm glad to see there's been some interest in this. First thing though, honestly I really do need another GM on this. I doubt I can keep story and such going without one so..yeah there's that. Other then that so far glad it's gotten some responses.

Batman4560

Psshhh I can help with that GM thing.

HeavenAbove

Darwishi

HA, that avatar makes me want to change the way my Silver Siryn looks in the Justice League game. lol. Hawt!

Also, any thoughts on the mostly-girl team or slightly more adult-themed monsters?

HeavenAbove

A mostly girl team would be interesting to see

Yukina

Quote from: HeavenAbove on November 10, 2013, 02:21:38 AM
A mostly girl team would be interesting to see

I second that emotion.

On another thought, I wonder the team's theme will be.

HeavenAbove

As a side note, the fan made MMPR film that's currently being produced actually features a stronger female to male cast ratio where they will have 3 female rangers to 2 male rangers as opposed to the usual 3 males to 2 females or (even in the rare cases like Ninja Storm) 5 males to 1 female.

Pretty interested to see how that will turn out.

But back to the point.

Yeah a theme would need to be established.

Darwishi

I only ever watched for the girls anyway.  I always hated how the extra characters were male, since it was often an opportunity to make the team balance out.

I know SPD had their "A" team, I think, be a 3 F to 2 M ratio, the Red ranger was a girl, but then they went evil or something so it wasn't as cool.

and on the note of SPD, the red ranger from that is now on Graceland.  He's waaaaaay more buff now lol. And older. =P

I don't want to hijack BG's original idea for this or anything, so maybe we should let her have a say?

Kadigan

So far we've got 7, which means we could perhaps do a core team of 6 and then the one "special" color, or 5 and two (Green and White, etc)

The basic plot idea I've thought of, more or less, is that the Z-Wave passed through a...Nebula, Spatial field, what have you, and was corrupted (since the wave is made up of incalculable energy, time itself doesn't matter, would come back and manifest during present day thanks to nebula.) It would hit this group of normally peaceable scientists, alchemists, sorcerers, perhaps 5 or 6, each with a different field or specialty. Corrupted, they decided to raise armies, and then have one final duel to determine who should rule the universe. One would have chosen to come to Earth at some point, having an army of let's say robot minions (think Putties) bio-droids (monsters) and eventually himself (Rita/Zedd/etc). This would also allow for him to eventually be defeated (If the game lasts that long) and a new one of his brethren to come to earth, even stronger, leading to new powers, zords, etc. The minions and droids would change per each lead villain's speciality, the Alchemists would perhaps be more earth/nature based.

As for "Theme" of the team, my basic thought on that was that an ancient priestess/oracle forsaw this danger, in only vague terms of course, and prayed to the Gods to assist her. Whether they were really the Greek Gods of old or benevolent aliens could be a matter for debate. Answering her prayers, they gave her pieces of jewlrey, each imbued with some of their might, which would transform them into mighty warriors, with powerful weapons and their own mighty beasts (Zords) to commands. They cursed/blessed the priestess w/ eternal life, so that should would remain vigilant to the threat. Each god had several symbols to chose from and what not so would have plenty of options for Zords. The powers themselves would not neccessarily denote whose in charge however (IE, Zeus power would not automatically make the person wielding it in charge.)

Thoughts? Personally I'd be drawn to the Aries "power" myself.

Yukina

That seems like a great plot. I think Aphrodite seems nice for my character.

MaiMizzu

So is it cliche of me to ask if I can be the 'evil' Ranger? Like the one that starts evil but eventually breaks free of control from the baddie? Maybe this 'evil' Ranger actually shows up first and starts to destroy shit (with the 'faceless trooper' army) to draw the others out. Wanting to perhaps beat them and gain their power for the baddie.

Does this make sense? Is this a route we want to explore?

As for the Gods.. are we talking about any particular.. ya know religion? Or is it just like Greek Gods? Could it be Norse themed ones too, or maybe even Japanese?

I'm not sure what God would represent my character yet, but I love the idea of maybe using a Kusarigama. All Shuten Douji style. That'd be awesome. heh   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kusarigama
The definition of a hero, at least in my mind, is someone who can protect what is right. To change and stop the wrong. To fight against the forces that seek to destroy you. And, at the very least ... live life well, and enjoy it with those you love.

Darwishi

Sounds awesome.  Though I was wondering the same thing, are we limited to greek mythology or can we jump into other mythologies as well?  Or is anything off limits?

I still haven't received an answer to my inquiry about the monsters/troopers/evilness being a bit more adult in nature.  Like are the monsters going to want to cop a feel of the ladies in tights? Or more if they so happen to defeat said ladies?

apygoos

so id be playing a male for sure
what about "cosmic" rangers? since this force is space originated, why not the rangers powers too? the core 5 would be constellations, thenthe "special" ones may be thinks like nova, pulsar, etc. or they could all be constellations for all we know? *shrugs*

MaiMizzu

I had a similar thought. In fact me and Apygoos were talking, and i think he stole my idea! lol!
But yeah, we were saying it'd be fun to have something different for our rangers. Like maybe their powers were based on the constellations. Since that's something that would be pretty common amongst anyone in the area of Earth.

apygoos

Quote from: MaiMizzu on November 10, 2013, 01:38:00 PM
I had a similar thought. In fact me and Apygoos were talking, and i think he stole my idea! lol!
But yeah, we were saying it'd be fun to have something different for our rangers. Like maybe their powers were based on the constellations. Since that's something that would be pretty common amongst anyone in the area of Earth.
no we said it at the same time! but yea, star power is something a  bit more unique to the rangers, i feel anyway.

MaiMizzu

Quote from: apygoos on November 10, 2013, 01:43:22 PM
no we said it at the same time! but yea, star power is something a  bit more unique to the rangers, i feel anyway.
No I said it first! *sneers!*