Vampire the Masquerade: V5 (Interest Check)

Started by Totoro, January 14, 2022, 07:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Totoro

Vampire the Masquerade: V5

This is a very barebones interest check compared to the kind I normally do because putting together something more concrete will take time and - in this case - energy to get my head around the system better. I own the books but I haven't even been a player, let alone a GM. I am looking to GM as that's my preferred role and I do have GM'ing experience in other systems. I would ideally need at least 1-2 writers who know what they are doing better than I do (Certainly to help if anyone is new as a player as I really can't offer much guidance yet.)

The intent would be to begin the adventure somewhat slow and simple so that I can try to learn as a 'crash course' before opening things up. It would be a darker-toned game likely set in a cold/snowy city. Probably an original location as I adore worldbuilding and would be happy to sink in the time/effort for the right writers/group.

As I own the V5 books (I have a preference for owning physical books for systems and couldn't get hold of V20 to save my life) I have a huge preference for V5 over V20. I'm not looking for a debate about whether I should change to try V20 instead, just looking to see if there is an audience for V5 and how big that audience might be before I sink the time into learning and worldbuilding.

So - if you are interested in joining a fairly dark-toned V5 campaign with an inexperienced V5 GM (Who will put in the time/effort to learn fast) please post here and let me know.

Anyone who is an experienced V5 GM who has any advice / input would be very appreciated.

Malkavian

I don't think V5 gets the credit it deserves. Hopefully you find the players you're after! :-)

Totoro

Quote from: Malkavian on January 15, 2022, 10:38:19 AM
I don't think V5 gets the credit it deserves. Hopefully you find the players you're after! :-)

I hope so too! Only really need a few people interested but just want to make sure it's worth putting the work in to create something.

LeSane

I've been a player of v5 and I enjoy it, so if you need a player I'd be willing to assist you.
'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'

Totoro

Quote from: LeSane on January 15, 2022, 11:32:47 AM
I've been a player of v5 and I enjoy it, so if you need a player I'd be willing to assist you.

Awesome, good to know. People who've had some experience of the game are definitely very appreciated.

Pumpkin Seeds

I've been interested in trying this system for awhile.

Totoro

Okay, awesome.

Of those interested so far are there any either slight or very firm preferences on the kind of story you might be interested in participating in?

As a general rule, I am drawn to darker tones and somewhat 'horror' themes in supernatural stories. The setting would be somewhere snowy in North America, I'm pretty set on that. I would like a group of PC's who are at least trying to do the right thing and struggling with their nature along with elements of mystery, uncertainty and difficult moral situations. Something somewhat investigative appeals a lot, for me.

LeSane

Yeah, I'm very familiar with my character trying to do the right thing. Though I'm usually playing an Anarch due to playing a balancing act between the ivory tower always on your back and doing what you wanna do to get ahead.
'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'

Totoro

Quote from: LeSane on January 15, 2022, 12:17:09 PM
Yeah, I'm very familiar with my character trying to do the right thing. Though I'm usually playing an Anarch due to playing a balancing act between the ivory tower always on your back and doing what you wanna do to get ahead.

I'm not an expert yet by any means but I think I can see a group of Anarchs finding cause to do some investigating.

LeSane

I'm not an expert at it as well. I've done a small game for my friends to get them accustomed to it, but I've been playing for a little over a year now. I will say that it takes a lot of planning to get it down. Each character has their own ambitions that will clash with other players or the vision you have set. It is no different than D&D where you set a loose set of ideas out and have the players do what needs to be done. The only difference is the things they do matter in issues further down the line.

Totoro

Mhm - it definitely seems like a game that requires the right mindset to approach and to bring the characters together. D&D I generally found it fairly easy to get people mostly on the same page.

Crash

I would love to play in a 5e vampire game

As for horror i much prefer Vampire 1st Edition take with it being personal horror.  The horror of actually being a Vampire and the toll it takes on the person.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Totoro

Quote from: Crash on January 15, 2022, 01:50:17 PM
I would love to play in a 5e vampire game

As for horror i much prefer Vampire 1st Edition take with it being personal horror.  The horror of actually being a Vampire and the toll it takes on the person.

I'm not familiar with the 1st edition take. I think I would focus on a mixture of the internal horror of being a vampire coupled with the external influences and how they might respond to those. The characters would definitely end up witnessing or participating in some pretty nasty situations at times.

LeSane

When it comes to internal horror about being a vampire it depends on a few things like the age of the vampire and the circumstances, and those that we're kinda made without a reason usually in their early years are the one worried about it never older vampires.

Totoro

Quote from: LeSane on January 15, 2022, 02:07:35 PM
When it comes to internal horror about being a vampire it depends on a few things like the age of the vampire and the circumstances, and those that we're kinda made without a reason usually in their early years are the one worried about it never older vampires.

I'm not sure of exactly how old but I definitely would be looking to place the PC's at the lower end of the age scale to play into their more recent loss of humanity.

LeSane

I would recommend Childer up to Neonate as at the very least they are old enough but not too old to be out of touch.

Totoro

Quote from: LeSane on January 15, 2022, 04:22:46 PM
I would recommend Childer up to Neonate as at the very least they are old enough but not too old to be out of touch.

I think I was intending on Neonates but definitely glad that seems to make sense to others too.

LeSane

It gets kinda tricky with Anarchs because they don't care how old another kindred is just how strength, connections, and what they can provide. That's one of the reasons I've never been a fan of Camarilla games. Age equates to a good portion of things and it's more of a social game where you step on everyone else.

Totoro

Quote from: LeSane on January 15, 2022, 06:15:54 PM
It gets kinda tricky with Anarchs because they don't care how old another kindred is just how strength, connections, and what they can provide. That's one of the reasons I've never been a fan of Camarilla games. Age equates to a good portion of things and it's more of a social game where you step on everyone else.

I think the societal thing can be interesting and I'd like it to at least be a factor in that the PC's can't just go around murdering everyone and yelling at everyone and being basically a squad of terminators without ending up in a bad situation. That being said I also don't think everything being dinner parties and veiled threats is what I'm going for.

I feel like a group of sort of 'anarch vigilantes' of some description who try to deal with the worst vampires more for the pragmatic fact that if they're not dealt with they'll make things worse for everyone. That seems workable to me, at least as a base concept.

Pumpkin Seeds

So more of a group trying to curb the excesses of other vampires?

Blythe

Tentative interest, particularly given the approach of personal horror and the idea that PCs will be trying hard to do the right thing. :)

I do have some moderate experience with V5 (moreso from a GM perspective, so it's nice to see something where I could possibly toss my hat in the ring as a player instead). I wouldn't say I'm great at it or anything, but I know my way around it well enough.

Will bookmark this and keep an eye on it to see how it develops.  8-)

Totoro

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 18, 2022, 01:40:59 AM
So more of a group trying to curb the excesses of other vampires?

I think so, yes. Something along those lines if that seems appealing to people.

Quote from: Blythe on January 18, 2022, 02:23:44 AM
Tentative interest, particularly given the approach of personal horror and the idea that PCs will be trying hard to do the right thing. :)

I do have some moderate experience with V5 (moreso from a GM perspective, so it's nice to see something where I could possibly toss my hat in the ring as a player instead). I wouldn't say I'm great at it or anything, but I know my way around it well enough.

Will bookmark this and keep an eye on it to see how it develops.  8-)

Any interest and/or experience is appreciated! Thank you.

LeSane

Are you going to be doing the actual dice system because on discord they have something called Thirst which does that is very easy to use.

Totoro

Quote from: LeSane on January 18, 2022, 01:48:18 PM
Are you going to be doing the actual dice system because on discord they have something called Thirst which does that is very easy to use.

I was intending to use the system properly with dice rolls, yes. I will absolutely have a look at that! Thank you.

LeSane

Hey, I do have a question because I'm curious do you have an idea for a set location?