What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beorning on September 22, 2017, 04:18:30 PM
Arrival, good movie.

For obvious reasons I was curious about it - when it came I had planned to watch it in the theatre. I'll have to see it in full - missed the first thirty minutes or so and didn't have the time to see all of the rest either. :) It's a movie channeö so I hope they'll repeat it soon.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Serephino

I'm not fully vaccinated against measles.  At least I think it's measles.  There's one vaccine that you're supposed to get a series of 3, and I think it was the MMR?  Either way, my parents had me get the first one.  Then a few hours later while my mom was giving me a bath I had seizure.  Naturally I was rushed to the ER, and no real cause was found.  My mom asked the doctor if it could have been the vaccine.  The doctor said maybe.  So my parents decided not to give me the other 2.  I think I still had all my other required vaccines, just not that one again.  I haven't had a seizure since, so that's probably what it was.  When it came time for me to go to school, every time a medical form had to be filled out my mom explained the situation to the doctor, and the doctor lied on the form.  In this case I think my parents made the right choice. 

Lustful Bride

A look at the environmental damage that could follow if North Korea follow's through on its threat to detonate a hydrogen bomb in the pacific.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/what-would-a-hydrogen-bomb-do-to-the-pacific-ocean/ar-AAsmtyV?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 22, 2017, 04:57:36 PM
A look at the environmental damage that could follow if North Korea follow's through on its threat to detonate a hydrogen bomb in the pacific.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/what-would-a-hydrogen-bomb-do-to-the-pacific-ocean/ar-AAsmtyV?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

My hope in this world continues to fade as fools play with weapons that ensure no one wins in the end....
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Missy

If the world were to end sometime in the next 14 hours I wouldn't have to go to work tomorrow . . . just trying to be optimistic.

Missy

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 22, 2017, 04:57:36 PM

I'm still not certain he's actually suicidal.

Lustful Bride

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Missy on September 22, 2017, 11:03:36 PM
I'm still not certain he's actually suicidal.

If anything, he's the opposite. The absolute dictator of a country whose population is encouraged to effectively worship him as the closest thing to a god Communism will permit, and who has never seen himself or his father ever be called to account for their actions, is going to have a massively delusionally inflated sense of self-worth. He wouldn't do something suicidal, but he might do something functionally indistinguishable from that because he's convinced of his own invincibility.

Missy

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 22, 2017, 11:30:25 PM
If anything, he's the opposite. The absolute dictator of a country whose population is encouraged to effectively worship him as the closest thing to a god Communism will permit, and who has never seen himself or his father ever be called to account for their actions, is going to have a massively delusionally inflated sense of self-worth. He wouldn't do something suicidal, but he might do something functionally indistinguishable from that because he's convinced of his own invincibility.

If he thinks he can kill America . . . wouldn't he just try to do that?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Missy on September 22, 2017, 11:35:58 PM
If he thinks he can kill America . . . wouldn't he just try to do that?

He probably doesn't think he can kill America. But he probably does think he (personally, at least) could survive starting a war with America - and more likely, he doesn't even think that war will happen. The last fifty years have followed a pattern of "1 - North Korea makes noise and saber-rattles -> International community threatens sanctions -> China gives NK supplies/money to make it shut up -> Goto 1". He's been indoctrinated as much as any of his own people in that this sort of brinksmanship WORKS for getting what he wants, because the other side is ultimately more rational and less willing to court insane risks than he is.

Guess what element of that equation has changed on a fundamental level?

gaggedLouise

North Korea does have a fairly large air force branch (around 940 aircraft) but most of the planes are really old models and it's unlikely that they'd have great upkeep. Most of the planes are Soviet and China constructed models from the 50s and 60s; a good deal of the actual planes are likely that old too. And how much training, or real combat experience, do their pilots actually have? I think they would be no match for a US air brigade and a carrier group (not to mention that many of those planes might get destroyed on the ground in  the event of a war).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_People%27s_Army_Air_Force

Iniquitous

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 22, 2017, 11:48:34 PM
He probably doesn't think he can kill America. But he probably does think he (personally, at least) could survive starting a war with America - and more likely, he doesn't even think that war will happen. The last fifty years have followed a pattern of "1 - North Korea makes noise and saber-rattles -> International community threatens sanctions -> China gives NK supplies/money to make it shut up -> Goto 1". He's been indoctrinated as much as any of his own people in that this sort of brinksmanship WORKS for getting what he wants, because the other side is ultimately more rational and less willing to court insane risks than he is.

Guess what element of that equation has changed on a fundamental level?

I have tried to explain this to people I know who either says he is just suicidal and insane as well as those who praise the idiot in the Oval Office.  It's like none of them understand that he has been raised seeing this work for both his grandfather and his father.  He is just following in their footsteps, doing what they did.  (Although I will say, based on reports that do manage to come out of N.Korea, he is far more cruel than either his father or grandfather.)
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Lustful Bride

WindFish

So according to Trump, peaceful NFL players who protest racism are "sons of bitches", but white supremacists and Nazis are "very fine people".

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/23/politics/donald-trump-nfl-nba/index.html

If you had any doubts that this guy isn't racist by now, then this should erase those doubts. It's also funny how the usual "free speech" people are nowhere to be seen, or are supporting Trump on this. Let that sink in.
Actively Searching For New One x Ones

Search Thread
O/Os
F-List

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

The situation in Puerto Rico continues to decline.

https://www.google.com/amp/jezebel.com/puerto-rico-is-in-an-absolute-crisis-1818706203/amp#ampshare=http://jezebel.com/puerto-rico-is-in-an-absolute-crisis-1818706203

It may take months or even a full year to get power and water restored to the entire island.

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 26, 2017, 09:37:07 AM
Flat Earther BoB rapper wants to send his own satellite into space to see if the earth is Flat.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/25/us/b-o-b-flat-earth-gofundme-trnd/index.html#ampshare=http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/us/b-o-b-flat-earth-gofundme-trnd/index.html

Bwahaha! How do you even begin to send a satellite around the earth if the planet is a  flat disk?  ::)

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on September 26, 2017, 09:39:29 AM
Bwahaha! How do you even begin to send a satellite around the earth if the planet is a  flat disk?  ::)

Besides, he'll get it up there, look at the pictures, and say 'Oh my god!  The Earth...
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
...is a circle!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

Admittedly, I don't understand your reservations. Surely it's possible to send a satellite into space, even if Earth is flat?

TheGlyphstone

You can throw it up into space, but it can't orbit something that isn't round. So if he's right (hint, he isn't), it would just go flying up out of the atmosphere and keep going forever.

TheVillain

Not to mention orbits only really work if gravity is an inverse-square law force of attraction. For the Earth to be and not have weird-ass gravity arrangements Gravity has to do something completely different mathematically.

So basically if Earth is flat, it's impossible for anything to orbit Earth.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.