Marvel: A New Beginning (Temprorarily closed for recruitment)

Started by AribethAmkiir, March 29, 2014, 04:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AribethAmkiir

Marvel: A New Beginning
A Superhero Game

It all began just three short months ago.  Everything changed.  All of our lives we have been told that we are alone in the universe.  On May 4th, 2012, we learned differently.  We learned not only that there is life beyond this world, but that it can be hostile and violent, and bent on conquering our planet.  Now, we know fear.

In our hour of need, The Avengers saved us, and we learned that we are not without champions.  However, those six souls aren't alone.  All across the world special people are emerging.  Some are natural heroes, while others become enemies.  The Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division (S.H.I.E.L.D.) has been tasked with identifying these special people and offering them the chance to learn from the best.

The Academy of Character Excellence (A.C.E) was recently put into effect by S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Nick Fury. Housed in a remote valley deep in the Rocky Mountains, the Academy offers its students an opportunity unparalleled anywhere else in the world - the opportunity to learn and develop under the tuition of the Avengers and other special individuals.

S.H.I.E.L.D. has found a number of people around the world, their powers newly developed. They have enrolled in the A.C.E. program and have been brought to the Academy.

These students are you.

What this game is: This is a Marvel Universe reboot.  We are aligning the universe with the Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline up to the end of the Avengers.  What happens next is fair game.

What does this mean? This means that the only previous knowledge you need is what you can gain from watching the movies: Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, and The Avengers. It also means that this is an Alternate Universe from the comic books.

Character Creation and Extra Game Information

• Most Player Characters will be between 16 – 19 years old.
  • This is a Marvel reboot, as such there will be no prior history except for what’s been mentioned in the Marvel Cinematic timeline  (Iron Man 1 & 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, and the Avengers movies) and what appears on the GM NPC histories.
  • Characters are expected to begin the game at a relatively inexperienced level - one of the reasons for being at the S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy is to develop their powers and control over them.
  • Your characters powers and abilities will be restricted to what is listed on your approved character sheet.  Characters will develop their control and abilities through game play and new developments will be added to the character sheets.
  • If allowed to play an “adult” character, this is a privilege, please note that you will, at times, be directed to do certain things by the GMs.  Failure to cooperate will result in the loss of control of that character.
  • Rewards for activity in game will be issued.  This may include power growth, ability development, additional knowledge gained, the ability to play a 2nd character, or something else of the GMs choosing.
  • Team leaders will be appointed by the GM NPCs and are likely to change.
  • As in all schools punishments are expected such as extra chores, like latrine duty.  S.H.I.E.L.D. is a military organization and is managing the school, so expect military-like punishments.

Character Sheet (Please send character sheets to AribethAmkiir, Keldia, and ebpohmr)

[center][size=14pt][b](insert character name here, all capitals)[/b][/size][/center]

[b]CHARACTER NAME:[/b]
[b]REAL NAME:[/b]
[b]AGE:[/b] (must be 16+)
[b]SEXUAL ORIENTATION:[/b]
[b]HEIGHT:[/b] (Inches and metric)
[b]WEIGHT: [/b] (Inches and metric)

[b]APPEARANCE/COSTUME:[/b]

[center][img height=400 padding=5] (Costume) [/img][img height=400] (Face Claim) [/img][/center]

[b]FACE CLAIM:[/b]
[b]POWERS/ABILITIES:[/b] (remember starting character level and control)
[list]
[li](insert power here)[/li]
[li](insert power here or delete if not needed)[/li]
[/list]
[b]WEAKNESSES:[/b] (Make weaknesses appropriate to powers and character, need a minimum of 3)

[list]
[li](insert weakness here)[/li]
[li](insert weakness here or delete if not needed)[/li]
[/list]

[b]HISTORY:[/b] (Appropriate history for game universe.  Include significant events during childhood and how the character developed their powers/abilities)

[b]PERSONALITY:[/b] (At least 5 adjectives that would describe the character’s personality traits)

[b]EQUIPMENT:[/b]
[b]CHARACTER O/O's:[/b] The character's on's and off's
[b]PLAYER O/O's:[/b] Your on's and off's
[b]NOTES:[/b]

Rules of Play:

• This is not our universe it is that created by Marvel Worldwide, Inc.  We have altered it slightly to the benefit of our game.
  • This Game is not a sex focused game but it is not prohibited. Sex scenes are kept in a separate thread, within the forum. Student-teacher (sexual) relationships are not permitted.
  • We adhere to most, if not all, physical and legal laws of the Marvel universe.
  • Your character's knowledge of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the world should remain connected to their age and history.  Everyone is starting off as a rookie, and superheroes have only begun to appear in the last few years.
  • BackSeat Moderation is NOT allowed, if you read or feel something is in violation of the game rules or setting, please PM a GM.
  • Please keep drama out of the OOC.  Misunderstandings should be resolved through PM with the GMs c.c.’d.    If the parties involved are unable to settle the misunderstanding the GMs will intervene.
  • The GMs’ ruling is final.

Posting Etiquette and Expectation

• Every post should have a header with tag information. Tag information code can be copied from the first post in every IC thread.
  • Adding list items to the tag is allowed (such as "wearing" or "listening to").
  • Tag images are to be height=200 padding=8
  • Posts are expected to consist of actual content that provides material for partners to respond to other than dialogue alone. 'One-liners' are not acceptable.
  • Killing characters (PC or NPC) is not allowed without GM approval and full player consent.
  • Use common sense in regard to posting order. Let everyone in the scene reply before you post again unless something else has been agreed upon.
  • Please post using third person past tense.
  • Posting is expected to be, at least, once every 5 days.  If you are aware you won’t be able to post communicate with the players and GMs involved in the scene.
  • If a player does not post within 5 days the character will be skipped or controlled by a GM, depending on the scene.  If the player does not post within 2 weeks, and does not notify a GM of the absence, the player character will become inactive.  Inactive characters will be removed from game play.
  • Reading - We don't believe this needs to be added, but here it is.  This is a Play-by-Post game and reading is paramount.  You need to pay attention to detail in every scene.  If there's a foot of snow on the ground, we expect people to note the snow somewhere in their posts.  If you're joining a scene, please read enough of what's happening to be able to join the scene smoothly.
  • Stupidity (I.e., destroying property or rampaging through the city) will alert the authorities, S.H.I.E.L.D., and possibly The Avengers resulting in very bad things.
  • Combat – This wouldn’t be much of a game if it didn’t happen.  However, please, use common sense.  If it's with a GM controlled character, give the GM character a chance to respond.  If you write nine paragraphs, and mortally wound whatever it is as soon as it appears, we’re going to counter the very first thing you attempt, and your entire book of actions will result in squat.  If you manage to get the jump on a sleeping combatant, or it has its back turned, with no attention paid to you, we'll talk.
  • When Player vs. Player combat occurs, it will be expected that the players involved work out an amiable solution.  If this is not possible, rolls will be used and the players involved will be expected to accept the results.  Killing characters (PC or NPC) is not allowed without GM approval and full player consent
  • Power-gaming/Meta-gaming - will not be tolerated. We define this as reacting to OOC information in an IC manner. If your character has no way of ascertaining said information, and you react to it, this is power-gaming, and you'll be receiving a post from us to edit.  This includes character sheets.  The character sheets are OOC information, do not use what you read there IC unless your character discovers it in game.
  • God-Mode - 9/10 times, if this happens it's going to come back to bite you in the ass. This includes random plot points that were not discussed with us that have an unfair impact upon game play. The 10% of the time that it will be allowed is if previously discussed with us. If what you’re about to have your character do feels like it might be considered Godding PM the GMs. It is better to ask first then be penalized for it later.

Alongside your characters will be numerous NPCs.  They will be defined as follows:
  • Killing, abandoning or incapacitating a Non-Player Character is not allowed without GM approval.
  • GM NPCs: These are NPCs that will only be controlled by the GMs.
  • Assumed NPCs: These will be the characters that fill space, nameless S.H.I.E.L.D. agents and innocent bystanders.
  • Community NPCs: Characters that do more than fill space but aren’t important enough for the GMs to constantly control.  The person in the scene who first controls the NPC is the person who remains in control, unless a GM takes over, or control is given to someone else.

AribethAmkiir

Open Threads
OOC Thread

We are taking canon and Original characters.  With original characters, please avoid using a powerset that is similar to an existing character, if possible.

Reserved: N/A

GM NPCs include: Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Scott Lang, Thor, Hank Pym, Captain American, Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, The Hulk, and Magneto.

Player Characters

Male--------------------------------------------------------------------------Female
Player: AribethAmkiir
Character: Jean Grey
Face Claim: Haley Ramm
Player: RedMoon
Character: Scott Summers
Face Claim:  Freddie Smith Marco
Player: Aiden
Character: Jimmy Hudson Jr.
Face Claim: Devin Paisley
Player: RampantDesires
Character: Danielle “Dani” Moonstar
Face Claim:Tanaya Beatty
Players: TheHangedMan
Character: Erik Crowley
Face Claim: Andrew-Lee Potts
Player: SpiralSpider
Character: Ri'Staraa Sayed
Face Claim: Booboo Stewart
Player: Deamonbane
Character: Victor Creed
Face Claim: Jason Chambers
Player: Neysha
Character:Brandt
Face Claim: Michelle Waterson
Player: Mathim
Character: Dr. Stephen Strange
Face Claim: Luke Evans
Player: apygoos
Character: Cassandra Lang
Face Claim:Emma Watson
Player: Keldia
Character: Kitty Pryde
Face Claim: Lilly Collins
Player: Batman4560
Character: Arthur Taylor
Face Claim: Hugh Dancy
Player: Julles
Character: Zoe Anne Hennesy
Face Claim: Hattie Watson
Player: Deathnote
Character: Bobby Drake
Face Claim:Dylan O'Brien
Player: Ember Star
Character: Megan Gywnn
Face Claim: Evanna Lynch
Player: TamaRose
Character: Nathaniel Cartwright
Face Claim: James Macovy

GM NPCs

Male--------------------------------------------------------------------------Female
Player: GM NPC
Character: Chales Xavier
Face Claim: Patrick Stewart

Example Character Sheet

Example

MARVEL GIRL

CHARACTER NAME: Marvel Girl
SEXUAL ORIENTATION: Heterosexual
HEIGHT: 5’6” (167.5 cm)
WEIGHT: 115 lbs (52 kg)

APPEARANCE/COSTUME:

FACE CLAIM: Haley Ramm
POWERS/ABILITIES:

• Telepathy: Jean is able to read thoughts, project and broadcast her own thoughts, as well as affect the minds of humans and animals with higher order intelligence (such as dolphins, ravens or dogs).
  • Telekinesis: Projection of psychokinetic energy enables her to levitate objects, propel or manipulate them however she wishes, lift herself and move through the air to simulate flight, stimulate individual molecules to create heat, generate concussive force as blasts or bursts, and create protective shields.

WEAKNESSES:

• Use of Jean’s telekinetic abilities results in fatigue and she strains to lift objects of two times her weight.  Jean will cause herself to blackout or faint if she pushes herself beyond her limits.
  • Xavier has erected barriers in Jean’s mind which prevent her from attaining her telepathic potential.
  • High moments of stress or fatigue can cause Jean’s filters to break which allows an overwhelming flood of thoughts into her mind resulting in confusion, disorientation, pain, and sometimes loss of consciousness.
  • Jean is in all purposes a fairly normal teenager with all the inherent weaknesses that accompany that.

HISTORY:

Jean Grey was the younger daughter of Professor John Grey of the History Department of Bard College in Annadale-on-Hudson, New York, and his wife Elaine Grey.  When Jean was ten years old she was playing with her best friend, Annie Richardson when Annie was hit by a car.  The emotion that Jean felt, as she held her dying friend, awakened her own latent telepathic powers and she experienced Annie's emotions as Annie died.  This traumatic event left Jean in a withdrawn and deeply depressed state.  Moreover, Jean could not control her newly awakened telepathic abilities and had to isolate herself from other people to hold on to her sanity.
Finally, when Jean was eleven a psychiatrist recommended to her parents that they consult a colleague of his, Professor Charles Xavier, who was secretly a mutant with telepathic abilities of his own.  Prof. Xavier explained to Jean, but not to her parents, that she was a mutant and he treated her for several years.  The Professor taught Jean how to levitate and manipulate objects through psionic force when she developed telekinesis at the age of thirteen.  Xavier even used young Jean to calibrate his Cerebro machine.  During one particular session, an aspect of young Jean's mind reached out in the form of a Phoenix flamebird to touch young orphan Scott Summers’ mind as he slept.  Prof. Xavier erected psychic barriers in Jean's mind so that she would not be able to use her telepathic abilities until she had developed the maturity necessary to deal with them.

When Prof. Xavier judged that Jean had reached a certain level of mastery of her telekinetic power, he recommended to her parents that they enroll her in the newly established Academy of Controlled Excellence, or A.C.E.  Unknown to Mr. and Mrs. Grey, this school served as a cover for the grooming of young meta-humans beings trained by S.H.I.E.L.D., Professor Xavier, and the Avengers’ to combat the threats posed by evil meta-humans who used their powers against humanity.  Jean Grey was the first student to enroll. 

PERSONALITY: 

Jean is a social, yet reserved girl.  Due to her therapy sessions with Charles Xavier she demonstrates a level of maturity beyond her years.  Despite her social tendencies, she does fall into depressed phases where she isolates herself.  Jean is a caring and compassionate individual, and a loyal and dedicated friend.  She struggles with self-esteem issues and has a temper.  Jean is a typical eighteen year-old teenage girl with all the emotions, hormones, and interests that go along with that.

EQUIPMENT:  Only what S.H.I.E.L.D gives her.
CHARACTER O/O's: Jean has no real sexual experience.
PLAYER O/O's: See my O/O's
NOTES: Information for the character was taken from http://marvel.wikia.com/Jean_Grey_%28Earth-616%29

Face Claims

Chris Evans
Patrick Stewart
Andrew-Lee Potts
Booboo Stewart
Devin Paisley
Freddie Smith Marco
Samuel L. Jackson
Chris Hemsworth
Robert Downey Jr.
Mark Ruffalo
Jeremy Renner
Tom Hiddleston
Clark Gregg
Don Cheadle
Anthony Hopkins
Idris Elba
Ray Stevenson
Tadanobu Asano
Josh Dallas
Tim Roth
William Hurt
Jason Chambers
Alexander Ludwig
Luke Evans
Hugh Dancy
James McAvoy
Dylan O'Brien
Haley Ramm
Scarlett Johansson
Tanaya Beatty
Cobie Smulders
Gwyneth Paltrow
Natalie Portman
Jamie Alexander
Rene Russo
Kat Dennings
Liv Tyler
Emma Watson
Hattie Watson
Emily Ratajkowski
Michelle Waterson
Lily Collins
Evanna Lynch
Ariel Winter
Bonnie Wright

Aiden

Deamonbane

I have an idea for a OC, but he would be older, although his powers are only starting to sprout... also, he might be Russian... Would that be okay? If not then dibs on a young Victor Creed...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

AribethAmkiir

TamaRose

I am really excited. I can't wait. Mine will be OC and male. I hope that's alright.

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: TamaRose on March 29, 2014, 05:18:48 PM
I am really excited. I can't wait. Mine will be OC and male. I hope that's alright.

Yes, it is.  If you have any questions just let us know.

Julles

Curiosity is growing. Quick question, is this game already in play or is just being created??

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Aiden

Jimmy leaves a note

-Went drinking-

RedMoon

Aw, Magneto is reserved? He is my favorite Marvel character. I am even wearing a Magneto shirt.

That said, I'd have some interest in play Cyclops. I wonder if "Psychic Catnip" is on his official power list... Cyclops gets all the psychic gals.

AribethAmkiir

Yeah, Magneto will be a GM NPC, at least, to begin with.

If you want to claim dibs on Cyke go right ahead.

Neysha

I think I may join as Mantis... be nice to get her off to an early start, so as to avoid all of that later comic continuity nonsense.

Quote from: Julles on March 29, 2014, 05:29:12 PM
Curiosity is growing. Quick question, is this game already in play or is just being created??

It just started.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: Julles on March 29, 2014, 05:29:12 PM

As Neysha said, it just started.   :D

Foxy DeVille

Sent in a semi-OC canon-smorgasbord to y'all...

RedMoon

Awesome. I will call dibs on Cyclops, then. I'll make a profile later tonight.

ebpohmr

Quote from: Foxy Oni on March 29, 2014, 10:13:48 PM
Sent in a semi-OC canon-smorgasbord to y'all...

Thanks Foxy! We'll look it over and get back to you! :)

Neysha

How much of a requirement is the face claim part of the profile.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

ebpohmr

Quote from: Neysha on March 29, 2014, 10:46:44 PM
How much of a requirement is the face claim part of the profile.

No more or less than the rest of the required information, why?

RedMoon

I'm awful at finding photos for characters.

Also, are we counting skills as powers? Though I suppose the characters would be fairly new, and not have a lot in the way of skills. I just ask, because Cyclops only has one power, which is fine. If we're including skills, though, I can fill that out a little more.

Also, weaknesses. I have two, but, I'm struggling to think of a third one. Unless "Vulnerable to bullets" is a weakness.

Deamonbane

Keldia

Not really. Around the premises of the actual A.C.E. facility, the attendees will likely be able to wear what they want within reason. Casual wear, you could say. On a mission, they'll likely get a S.H.I.E.L.D. outfit or something similar if needed.
Ons/Offs (Coming Soon!) | Storytelling Annex | Absences & Apologies | Post Tracker
Current Response Rate: Playing Catch Up! [~7 Days]

AribethAmkiir

apygoos

how feasible is it to pull off Hank Pym/Antman? I know they have a plan for  Ant Man in the MCU where hank simply developed the pym particles and Scott Lang becomes the one to wear the suit. I might have a   few other canons in mind though if thats not possible]

Juggtacular

I'd like to reserve Cain Marko aka The Juggernaut.