News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Any pokemon fans out there? Questions for you guys...

Started by Galactic Druid, December 22, 2012, 01:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

I haven't played Pokemon since the original Red and Blue (Red, specifically.), and lately have been looking for something that will last me a good, long while, as money is tight for months after Christmas with me.

I remember the good old days when I was a kid and din't buy many games, Red lasted me for ages. I thought maybe I can still find the series fun after all these years. I asked about it at gamestop, and got a bunch of confusing info that I wanted to clear up with you guys who know the game best.

1) They mentioned something about EVs and how you need to grind endlessly for hours against the same enemies endlessly to make your party as strong as they possibly can be. Is that all really necessary?

2) Is it possible to fill out the pokedex if I don't have all the previous generations to import from?

3) Should I start with B&W, or is B&W2 an okay spot to start? From my understanding, BW2 actually continues the story from 1?

4) This is honestly really important to me. My first even pokemon was a Charmander, and Abra's final form was my main heavy hitter back in the day, battling my buddies. Are those guys still around? Would I be able to get them in my party without owning older games and importing?

Any help you guys could give would be awesome.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Iuris

Hello! I'm a Pokemon fan, and recently purchased Pokemon White after my friend's recommendation. I've owned all incarnations of the game (that, or my brother and I swapped) - Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, etc., except for the most recent reincarnations of the original games.

1) You do not have to grind endlessly unless your goal is to get your Pokemon up to level 90. I haven't finished the game yet, but it's my understanding (and my experience so far) that it plays similarly to previous games - you'll have to do a certain amount of training, of course, to beat the game, but that's normal.

2) Yes. Again, I haven't done this myself, but I know that many Kanto Pokemon can be captured in B&W. You can also trade for many of them. I highly recommend Serebii.net as a resource - it's a well put-together database of information about the games.

3) You're right in that B&W2 are both direct continuations of the previous game, set several years after the "finish" (if I'm not mistaken). If you're only going to pick one, I would recommend starting with B&W. Not having played B&W2 myself, I don't know how much they expect you to know from the previous game, but since I'm only recently returning to the Pokemon franchise myself, I've found that B&W has a lot of new stuff, and that starting with the first game is helpful to understanding Unova. Plus, if you decide to get the second game later, it makes more sense.

4) Abra can be caught in White Forest in Pokemon White. If you get Pokemon Black, you can trade for an Abra. Charmander would need to be traded from a previous game, or obtained from the "Dream World". I do not know what the Dream World is, but you could probably Google it and figure that out.

Koren

Haha, I love seeing threads like this, especially as I just started playing pokemon again after a long long break.

First off I want to suggest that if you are looking for a really good pokemon game that you pick up HeartGold or SoulSilver, instead of any of the black a white. Being remakes of the second generation, that was in my opinion the best, you get all the functionality of the newer games with much of the very old and simple training and pokemon of the older ones. In those games you can also go back to Kanto and find all the old generation one pokemon again as well. I personally havent played Black or White, or their sequals (and yes the story does carry on) but I have heard they are good. Being a pokemon fan though, and of the older games, Id recommend going for HeartGold or SoulSilver though if you do want that old fun back.

The pokewalker also provides a bit more fun if you wanted that outside of the actual game itself even though its completely optional.

1) In answer to your first question, not you dont need to grind constantly, no more then the original games. EVs and IVs and the like are just if you really want the best posisble party. You can do perfectly fine ignoring all of that. Ive never payd it any attention and gotten through fine.

2) Like Iuris said you can catch the older generations in Black and White and their sequals. In SoulSilver and HeartGold you can also find a lot of the older generation pokemon because as I said, you can go back and catch them in the Kanto region after you beat the first set of gyms. The pokedex should be competely able to be filled out without trading from older generations and the like as well, although im not sure. Seribii is a great resource, as is Bulbapedia and Pokemon Database I also recommend.

3)Iuris say it perfectly in answer to this question. My soultion though is above.

4) In HeartGold and SoulSilver Abra can be caught at the very start of the game and trained up and is still definitely one of the stronger ones. If they games really are true to the original Gen 2 then you should also be able to find a charmander Id imagine but not having got up to that bit myself yet I couldn't Say for sure.

Ill hang around the thread in case you have any more questions and of course, my PM box is always open.

JackWhite

Quote from: Koren on December 22, 2012, 06:22:01 AM
4) In HeartGold and SoulSilver Abra can be caught at the very start of the game and trained up and is still definitely one of the stronger ones. If they games really are true to the original Gen 2 then you should also be able to find a charmander Id imagine but not having got up to that bit myself yet I couldn't Say for sure.

Ill hang around the thread in case you have any more questions and of course, my PM box is always open.

One was never able to get a Charmander without trading with older versions if I'm correct.

Koren

Quote from: JackWhite on December 22, 2012, 06:46:50 AM
One was never able to get a Charmander without trading with older versions if I'm correct.

I thougt it was possible. I might have been thinking of pokemon yellow though. Ive played so many games they are all muddled up.

If so that just means either way youll have to trade to get a charmander or something like that. There is online trading now though, not just game to game so that might help

JackWhite

Quote from: Koren on December 22, 2012, 07:03:16 AM
I thougt it was possible. I might have been thinking of pokemon yellow though. Ive played so many games they are all muddled up.

If so that just means either way youll have to trade to get a charmander or something like that. There is online trading now though, not just game to game so that might help
That was indeed Pokemon Yellow, the one that made Pikachu walk behind you. Memories *sighs*

Koren

In Soul Silver and Heart Gold any pokemon can walk behind you which is nice.

And I just checked, after you beat Johto and Mt Silver and go back to Kanto you can take your pick of the starters so you can get Charmander that way without trading

Arohk

I'll answer some things even though they've already been addressed. This is coming from a long-time Pokemon fan who owns and plays every title in the series. Baw, so I'm a nerd, wanna fight about it? XP Kidding.

Anyhow, questions first.

1) They mentioned something about EVs and how you need to grind endlessly for hours against the same enemies endlessly to make your party as strong as they possibly can be. Is that all really necessary?
No. I didn't care about EVs for a long time and recently just started caring because I got bored and wanted something to do. Now I like picking Natures and whatnot. Adds another layer to the game. Having additional strengths and weaknesses allows you to think about your team more, if that's what you want. But you can be perfectly happy ignoring them too. I think the 5th Generation (Black and White) is exceedingly easier than other games in Pokemon. What with being able to use TMs like HMs now, among many other things.

2) Is it possible to fill out the pokedex if I don't have all the previous generations to import from?
Not really. Just like usual, you need a friend to Trade with, or other games from previous Generations. There is additional content that you can do now called 'Dream World' over the Internet that allows you to get Pokemon you would otherwise not be able to get.

3) Should I start with B&W, or is B&W2 an okay spot to start? From my understanding, BW2 actually continues the story from 1?
Honestly, I don't think this matter. I think the storyline from Black and White 2 is pretty crappy. To me, it doesn't feel like Pokemon any more. They brought things in that made me face-palm rather than enjoy. However, if you still care deeply about storylines, I would start with the first iteration. Because there are some extra things you can do with 2 if you have completed the first one. If you don't care so much, I would start with 2 because it has superior game mechanics and additions that make the game last longer with more fun value. It just doesn't come from the story (for me).
That being said, I would go along with most people and recommend starting with the remake of Silver and Gold. Definitely my favorite game of the entire franchise.

4) This is honestly really important to me. My first even pokemon was a Charmander, and Abra's final form was my main heavy hitter back in the day, battling my buddies. Are those guys still around? Would I be able to get them in my party without owning older games and importing?

Abra is available, I believe. Charmander, not so much. Which is a shame. If you were to own one of the copies that I have, I wouldn't mind Trading with you, though. I have a complete Pokedex on Black and White.

Now. I have a lot of snarliness when it comes to the newest Generation. A lot of issues come from the Pokemon. Which just don't FEEL like Pokemon any more. If you take any one of them and put them beside something of the first or second Generation, you KNOW that it doesn't look right. Save for a handful of Pokemon, the rest look like ugly, horrible, rip-off Pokemon. Among the worst being a veiny Pokemon with a two-by-four, a GARBAGE BAG, an ice cream cone, and gears. Yes, gears. The Legendaries are also hugely disappointing in design and function for me as well. It doesn't feel like they are trying any more. This is part of the reason that I recommend Heart Gold or Soul Silver. You don't have to deal with any of that crap, or Triple Battles which are horribly useless.

A lot of people would argue or say that everything's fine. But I don't think so. I can count off the new Pokemon I like with the fingers on two hands and not use them all.  Anyways, I am sure you'll make your decision based on what is important to YOU. :) That's just all of my input. Been a Pokemon fan since day 1 and will always continue to be one. No matter how many awfully design choices they throw in there.

Iuris

Quote from: Arohk on December 23, 2012, 05:42:56 AMNow. I have a lot of snarliness when it comes to the newest Generation. A lot of issues come from the Pokemon. Which just don't FEEL like Pokemon any more. If you take any one of them and put them beside something of the first or second Generation, you KNOW that it doesn't look right. Save for a handful of Pokemon, the rest look like ugly, horrible, rip-off Pokemon. Among the worst being a veiny Pokemon with a two-by-four, a GARBAGE BAG, an ice cream cone, and gears. Yes, gears. The Legendaries are also hugely disappointing in design and function for me as well. It doesn't feel like they are trying any more. This is part of the reason that I recommend Heart Gold or Soul Silver. You don't have to deal with any of that crap, or Triple Battles which are horribly useless.

I've actually been considering getting HeartGold or SoulSilver, for precisely this reason. I actually owned the Game Boy cartridges of these two games (still do, actually, though I'm not sure where I put my functioning Game Boy Color) and remember adoring the story, the game, the Pokemon... it took all of the great things about the previous games all rolled into one.

Gold and Silver for the 3/DS? Hell yes!

But I definitely agree - I think the new Pokemon they've come up with in Unova just don't feel like Pokemon anymore. They're not creative, and some are downright ugly... I'm currently halfway through White, and haven't yet found a fire Pokemon I like enough to keep. I looked through the other Pokemon I'm likely to come across, and found nothing I would want to have on my team. Because it may seem silly to some people, but damned if I'll have an ugly Pokemon on my team. :/

I had my friend trade a Vulpix, Ponyta, and a Ditto to me so I could breed some Eggs.

Arohk

I completely agree with you, Iluris. You aren't silly for not wanting ugly things on your team.

For those who read and are wondering, here's my list of acceptable Pokemon (personal opinion, of course) from the new Generation. I base the opinion on how they look as Pokemon. Not as overall design or whether or not they are cute or their moveset or how good their stats are. If they look like they fit the game.

1. Herdier
2. Krookodile
3. Tirtouga
4. Carracosta
5. Joltik
6. Druddigon
7. Braviary

That's all.

I won't derail the thread, but that's my list. XD

Skynet

I don't really play the modern games (although Black & White intrigue me), but I was a huge Pokemon fan in my childhood.  I feel left in the dark with these new games.

I sort of see what you guys mean about the new Pokemon looking unimaginative.  Is it really that bad?

Arohk

In my opinion? Yes. 150 new Pokemon and I can only point to 8. I'd say it's that bad. Buuuut. I know a lot of people who disagree with me. (They're crazy ;D)

Caeli

Quote from: Arohk on December 24, 2012, 06:30:34 PM
In my opinion? Yes. 150 new Pokemon and I can only point to 8. I'd say it's that bad. Buuuut. I know a lot of people who disagree with me. (They're crazy ;D)

+1.

I, too, think that many of the Pokemon either don't feel like Pokemon, are flat out ugly, or don't have much in the way of usefulness. :/ I'm having so much difficulty settling on a team... I'm not quite halfway through the game, and only have four steady Pokemon, so I've been off and on training Pokemon to fill my Pokedex, and breeding Pokemon out of eggs.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Koren

At my uni (i go to a uni focused on game design) many of us hadnt played the newer games, having lost most faith after gen three and four, but someone opened up a tab of pokemon from black and white. After just looking at them we were so dishearted it was almost rediculous. Stuff like trash bags and Im sorry, but even Rotom took it too far, shape shifting into household applicances? Really.

But yeah, other then that, pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver I think even enhanced the story of the originals. I cant play the original cartiges any more despite having a perfectly good working gameboy color, my silver and gold games dont save, and my crystal has all my good pokemon on it, so it was nice to go back to that region once again.
And playing it through again I have to say that I had MASS nostalgia from the old games because of all of the little details they included which was just brillant.

Caeli

Though there were points from the new games that I liked. For example, how Castelia city has a kind of three-dimensional feeling to it with curves and not just straight lines? Beautifully done!

But the lack of Pokemon was... yeah. No words.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Arohk

I like the gameplay mechanics of the new generation. And the way that the seasons change. And with all of the interesting additions that aren't the stupid Pokemon Dance thing. Like PokeStar Studios. I actually like that. And the medals as well. I still play it and such, I just pretty much refuse to use any of the new Pokemon. They just hurt my eyes too much. When I do catch them, I give them horribly derogatory names, too. Mostly insulting things like calling Oshawott Fugly or Solosis Booger/Snot/Mucus. That's about as much fun as I have with all of the new ones. XP Thinking up creative awful names is fun.