News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

~ Word of the Day ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hob

Today's word of the day is....

memento
noun muh-MEN-toh

Definition
1 : something that serves to warn or remind; also: souvenir

Hob

exculpate
verb EK-skull-payt

Definition
1 : to clear from alleged fault or guilt

persephone325

susurrous
adjective soo-SUR-us

Definition
: full of whispering sounds
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

persephone325

chapel
noun CHAP-ul

Definition
1 : a subordinate or private place of worship

2 : a place of worship used by a Christian group other than an established church

3 : a choir of singers belonging to a chapel

4 : a chapel service or assembly at a school or college
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Flower

henchman
noun HENCH-mun

Definition
1 : a trusted follower : right-hand man

2 : a political follower whose support is chiefly for personal advantage

3 : a member of a gang

Mirrah

Everyone has heard of lycanthropy. None knew of this particular monster that lurked in the forests though, for he left no victims. A thick copse hid him from sight, their long shadows arcing over so no moonlight could so much as graze his dusky skin, and though the air around him was as still as an empty chapel, susurrous leaves danced ominously overhead. There was a strange glow in his eyes tonight as he donned his meticulously woven mask. It may have appeared to be crafted only of straw and paint, but as he placed it over his head, he morphed from a mere man to a large, prowling beast with flashing teeth and sharp claws. With his long, striped tail swaying lazily behind him, he faded into the shadows and began his hunt.

Tonight, he would be a mere henchman no longer. Tonight he would become a god, properly feared, with his own lackeys, his own worshipers.
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

Flower

perforce
adverb per-FORSS

Definition
1 : by force of circumstances

Lilias

Faith let out a groan of relief when Sophia came through the door with the tea tray. She dropped her glasses on the huge book she had been studying, rubbed her eyes, then let her head hit the desk as well for good measure.

‘Rough session?’ Sophia’s lips curled with amusement as she poured the first cup for her apprentice.

Faith straightened up, rubbed her eyes again and moved to a chair closer to the tray. She knew by now that she shouldn’t risk staining the precious Chantry library items. At least not when her mentor was around to see. ‘The understatement of the decade,’ she said, squeezing a wedge of lemon into her tea, then dropping the peel in as well. Sophia wrinkled her nose at the vulgarity, but Faith was past caring.

‘I don’t get the obsession with dividing the world into Orient and Occident,’ she said. ‘At least, if there was some consistent way of calculating the dividing line, it would make some kind of sense, but as it is, anyone makes the cut anywhere they want, and decide to glorify one side and demonise the other as they please.’

By and large, you’re right,’ said Sophia. ‘It’s all politics, or demagoguery, if you will. Someone got it in their minds early on that we of the Order should be good at it, and we’ve been paying the price ever since.’

Faith chuckled, took a big gulp of her tea and topped up the cup. ‘Are you harbouring rebellion in the heart of the Order, Magistra?’ she quipped.

Sophia rolled her eyes. ‘No one can accuse the Order of being consistent. Ambivalent would be its middle name--I wouldn’t be surprised if it already is, among the others on the Council. You name it, there will be a faction championing it and another crying abomination. How were you at college debates?’

‘Rubbish, mostly because I had no interest in them.’

‘Good. Good. Don’t debate. You’ll change nobody’s mind--don’t let them change your own.’

‘Does that mean I can skip those?’ Faith gestured hopefully towards the stack of well-worn hardbacks waiting by the side of the large tome that had been giving her so much grief, before sneakily swiping the last slice of toasted fruit bread.

‘You wish,’ Sophia grinned mischievously. ‘After the exam, though, you can forget about them. In fact, I will insist.’
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

The Green One

Under unknown waters, where no valorous explorer dares to go
Among the tantalizing chant of sirens and servants' agog
Lives an orgulous queen
Banshee of the cerulean waters
Lapidary of lost treasures in the seas

The sinuous body of a snake
Glabrous skin of crystal scales
Long hair like kelp, long nails like swords
All meandering creatures fall at her call

Not available for new stories

Hob

noisome
adjective NOY-sum

Definition
1 : noxious, harmful

2 a : offensive to the senses and especially to the sense of smell

2 b : highly obnoxious or objectionable

Hob

cornucopia
noun kor-nuh-KOH-pee-uh

Definition
1 : a curved, hollow goat's horn or similarly shaped receptacle (such as a horn-shaped basket) that is overflowing especially with fruit and vegetables (such as gourds, ears of corn, apples, and grapes) and that is used as a decorative motif emblematic of abundance

2 : an inexhaustible store : abundance

3 : a receptacle shaped like a horn or cone

Hob

impromptu
adjective im-PROMP-too

Definition

1 : made, done, or formed on or as if on the spur of the moment : improvised

2 : composed or uttered without previous preparation : extemporaneous

persephone325

audacious
adjective aw-DAY-shus

Definition
1 a : intrepidly daring : adventurous

b : recklessly bold : rash

2 : contemptuous of law, religion, or decorum : insolent

3 : marked by originality and verve
I don't know.

KarterKicks

In an attempt to garner approval,
I write this post to show off rhyme and word,
I hope it doesn’t mean a removal,
I hope it comes off as a little absurd,
And I hope it does not get too much reproval,
I want my audacious poem to get heard. 

Sorry, if it's too dumb :)

persephone325

occlusion
noun uh-KLOO-zhun

Definition
1 : the act of occluding : the state of being occluded: such as

a : the complete obstruction of the breath passage in the articulation of a speech sound

b : the bringing of the opposing surfaces of the teeth of the two jaws into contact; also : the relation between the surfaces when in contact

c : the inclusion or sorption of gas trapped during solidification of a material

2 : the front formed by a cold front overtaking a warm front and lifting the warm air above the earth's surface
I don't know.

Remec

The lights in the chapel were out. Only the soft glow of votive candles in their array beneath a statue to the local deity gave off any aid to seeing one’s way among the pews and kneeling benches. Anderson squinted in the dimness and then saw what he was looking for…Miller was sitting hunched over in the first pew. He didn’t seem to be at prayer, but was fiddling with something in his hands.

From his vantage point just inside the entryway, all Anderson could see was a smooth curved object, almost like a cornucopia, but much much smaller. He walked down the aisle and entered the pew behind Miller, pausing to genuflect in respect even thought this shrine was not to his own god.

“What are you doing, Miller?” He hoped he sounded stern and slightly accusatory. Anderson hadn’t heard if Miller was shirking duty or what, but he’d been asked to find him and bring him back to Control. Now that he was closer, it seemed Miller had a rather large conch.

“Nothing, sir,” Miller replied as he stood and went to attention, hand up to salute. The conch just lingered in the palm and on the fingers of his other hand.

“At ease, at ease,” Anderson told Miller. “I haven’t gotten a bad report on you,  just was asked to find you and bring you in. A message of some kind came in, maybe a package or a visitor.”

Miller nodded. “Already got it,” he replied holding up the conch. “From my sister. Just a little memento of when we had gone to the beach during  my last furlough. Have you ever held one to your ear? Such a susurrous sensation.”

“Indeed, I’ve listened to them many a time. I’m glad that’s all you were doing. I mean, you do sometimes have a reputation as a henchman who’s an expert with tomfoolery.”

Miller smiled and nodded. “I suppose I do. Best be getting back to post, then. Thank you for coming for me, sir.”

“Dismissed. Go on, get out of here.”

Flower

quirk
verb KWERK

Definition
1 : curve, twist

Flower

yahoo
noun YAH-hoo

Definition
1 capitalized Yahoo : a member of a race of brutes in Swift's Gulliver's Travels who have the form and all the vices of humans

2 : a boorish, crass, or stupid person

Hob

betwixt
adverb or preposition   bih-TWIKST

Definition
1:  between

Hob

ritzy
adjective RIT-see

Definition
1 : being, characteristic of, or befitting a snob : snobbish

2 : impressively or ostentatiously fancy or stylish : fashionable, posh

Hob

dram
noun DRAM

Definition
1 a : a unit of avoirdupois weight equal to 1/16 ounce

1 b : a unit of apothecaries' weight equal to 1/8 ounce

1 c : a unit of liquid capacity equal to 1/8 fluid ounce

2 a : a small portion of something to drink

2 b : a small amount

The Green One

Along the red shores of Blasted Lands
Defiling murlocs cry
Mllgggrrrr... Mmmurlok...
While castigated by their naga Lords

Not available for new stories

persephone325

mayhem
noun MAY-hem

Definition
1 a : willful and permanent deprivation of a bodily member resulting in the impairment of a person's fighting ability

b : willful and permanent crippling, mutilation, or disfigurement of any part of the body

2 : needless or willful damage or violence

To get in the holiday spirit, here's a bit of music to inspire your muse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIpXwY6FV3k
I don't know.

persephone325

"Wait, the snowman came to life?"

"Yeah! It wandered off downtown!"

"This just in. A sentient snowman has been spotted downtown, causing mayhem and disturbing the peace."
I don't know.

persephone325

sciential
adjective sye-EN-shul

Definition
1 : relating to or producing knowledge or science

2 : having efficient knowledge : capable

To get in the holiday spirit, here's a bit of music to inspire your muse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIn65oes8SM
I don't know.