Dragonlance: Prelude to War [PFRPG] (interest check)

Started by Andi, April 22, 2013, 11:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andi

I think what you're after is the Cavalier class. That'd be fine.

Blinkin

I'm waiting on someone to say whether a swashbucker roguetype would be acceptible in the setting. If it's not compatable, then not much point in going further with the idea.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Andi

Blinkin

Alrighty then, how about this:

Tari grew up on the docks of Haven, working with her father on his fishing boat from an early age; after her mother died of an illness when Tari was only 5 years old.

When she was merely a lass of 15, the blonde haired beauty caught the eye of the son of a local merchant of no small water and after a surprisingly short courtship, married. But the young couple had an enemy in the younger brother of her husband and a plan was hatched before the sheet of the wedding bed was warmed. The next morning, her husband would be dead and she accused of the crime! Fearing for her life and the vengeful family, her fahter helped her escape to sea and after some effort, she found herself alone and with only the clothes on her back... no prospect and suredly a wealthy merchant family searching for her already. Falling back on her experience, she hired herself out as crew on a trading vessel and began to learn the art of defending herself.

After a couple of years, she had learned the art of the blade and her natural grace served her in good stead as she gained experience and a certain flamboyant attitude.

When her vessel was hired to take solomnic families away, she had the misfortune to be recognized on the dock by the same brother who had framed her for the crime. Now, she must find a way to get away again and arranged to go with a group of refugees when they made landfall; hoping to disappear again into the population.

It's rough, but I'll refine it as I work on the character. This gives her an interesting background, a potential sub-plot to play with and a reason to leave the sea.

Now... to find the details on character generation...
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

EroticFantasyAuthor

The reason I was shying away from the Cavalier class was the assumption it is pretty mount dependent. I'll have a gander at it though.

Andi

EFA, the same is true for the Samurai - in Pathfinder, it's a Cavalier offshoot.

Blinkin

Questions:

If you're using AC as DR varient rules, how do you deal with dodge or mobility feats? Do they add to defense, or not have any effect at all?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Andi

They add to defense. They make you harder to hit.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Oh, I had thought that due to it's appearance in Ultimate Combat that it was more of a separate class.

Still have a bit of reading I need to catch up on.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Thorne on April 23, 2013, 02:20:44 PM

Kender... kender are like cockroaches. They turn up everywhere, and getting rid of them is usually entirely more difficult than it ought to be.

Kender are NOT cockroaches and I would be more than happy to play one if you would have me.  :)
O/o's

A/a's

The trouble with resisting temptation is that is may never come again!

Blinkin

I forgot to comment on sexual content... I'm pretty open minded. As long as SOME sex occurs someplace, I'm thrilled. lol

Anyone wanna talk about potential relationships with a blonde haired beauty with attitude? If they survive very long with the Armor as DR system. Easy to hit, not a lot DR in the light armors, etc, etc, etc. Get her while she's alive! hehehe
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Thorne

Do potential relationships have to include the sex? I was kind of asking about that myself earlier, and no one bit. :/
While Lorraine is somewhat a victim of her upbringing, I think she has learned that friends are not to be taken lightly, whatever walk of life they come from. One just has to get past mistaking her for a man, which has been happening to her a lot of late...

Anyway. I also forgot to comment on sexual content. I'm generally okay with it - I like my fantasy to be somewhat gritty, and I'm of the firm and fervent belief that sex should get rolled in there with all the rest of that.
I also don't have a problem with kender, my comparison of them with cockroaches aside. Most of the time, I like them - they're persistent.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Blinkin

No, sex doesn't have to be part of it. There are friends all over the world who never get beyond the occasional hug or punch to the shoulder. Relationship is often a misunderstood word these days. It can range from "Hey, I know you!" to bed-mates and old married couples.

Tari tends to not jump into bed with just anyone, although she's as likely to want to scratch an itch as anyone. So, unless something "magical" happens, any relationship would have to be pre-existing for sex to be on the menu in the near term (Such an event is possible in backstory though).

On Lorriane... How much does fighters get these days at 1st level? Those masterworked items cost a bundle even if you craft them yourself... How can I get some?? lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Andi

Masterwork's probably out of the question unless you invest a trait into more starting money. Weapon is +300, Armor/Shield +150, Gear +100.

Thorne

Was wondering if someone would notice that! *chuckle* I took the Rich Parents trait - +900gp.

Before this, she has had some occasion to go back and forth from 'home' to an assortment of places - it is not completely unlikely that Lorraine has bumped into someone. And if not .. well ... her proverbial traps do include a handful of horses, a drunkard and a bitter cripple. If that doesn't inspire curiousity in somebody, I didn't do it right. *grin*

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Thorne on April 28, 2013, 08:41:01 AM
Do potential relationships have to include the sex? I was kind of asking about that myself earlier, and no one bit. :/
While Lorraine is somewhat a victim of her upbringing, I think she has learned that friends are not to be taken lightly, whatever walk of life they come from. One just has to get past mistaking her for a man, which has been happening to her a lot of late...

Anyway. I also forgot to comment on sexual content. I'm generally okay with it - I like my fantasy to be somewhat gritty, and I'm of the firm and fervent belief that sex should get rolled in there with all the rest of that.
I also don't have a problem with kender, my comparison of them with cockroaches aside. Most of the time, I like them - they're persistent.

Then a kender I shall play.  I draft up something today/tonight.  I do so love kenders.  *starts whirling his hoopak*

As to sex, I should let you all know that I have been a member here since December and I have yet to write ONE sex post.  I'm all about developing relationships and subplots.  If sex happens, it does.  If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Just my humble opinion.
O/o's

A/a's

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Thorne

Adds nine hundred. A good deal, if you can make it work.
I can't make it work for most. :/

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on April 28, 2013, 11:48:52 AM
As to sex, I should let you all know that I have been a member here since December and I have yet to write ONE sex post.  I'm all about developing relationships and subplots.  If sex happens, it does.  If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Given the in-book description of kender, my sense of humour just kicked in, and I think I might have to clean tea off the monitor. ^^;
I should note, I don't mind cleaning tea off my monitor, as long as it doesn't get into the keyboard.  ;D

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Andi

Sets to, actually. The wording is "increases to 900", not "increases by."

Blinkin

Hmmm... I wonder if Tari's husband could of gifted her with something worth 900 steel pieces... lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Thorne on April 28, 2013, 11:57:29 AM
Adds nine hundred. A good deal, if you can make it work.
I can't make it work for most. :/

Given the in-book description of kender, my sense of humour just kicked in, and I think I might have to clean tea off the monitor. ^^;
I should note, I don't mind cleaning tea off my monitor, as long as it doesn't get into the keyboard.  ;D

No promises.  *hands Thorne a tea cup* I just happened to find this in my bag.  I was hoping that you could help me find its owner.
O/o's

A/a's

Muse

Nixia Pyretica, gnomish transcendental alchemist, coming soon. 

Oh, Andi.  May I add +2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Andi

That seems appropriate for a Krynnish gnome. Go for it.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Muse on April 28, 2013, 04:03:07 PM
Nixia Pyretica, gnomish transcendental alchemist, coming soon. 

Oh, Andi.  May I add +2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom?

Gnomes are my second favorite Krynn character type.  :)  His/her name needs to be much longer, though.  Or is that the short form?  :)
O/o's

A/a's

Muse

Indeed.  :)

The second name is actually a random piece of her guild affiliation. 

Her life's quest involves researching non-violent uses of alchemy.  (Not that she neglects the violent ones!) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)