Freedom to Worship

Started by Mnemaxa, February 01, 2010, 06:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jude

Quote from: Carpy on February 14, 2010, 03:03:36 AMTrue, but I doubt the meaning behind placing to cross there was anything less then a stab at the pagans/wiccans and had some thing similar been done to a mosque or a church that there would have been a greater out cry over it.
I don't think it's possible to say what the motive was for leaving the cross behind; it'd be kind of a pointless debate.  It could be an attempt at proselytizing or a reminder of what the Christian who left it there believes is the only true religion, but to view it as something malicious I think takes a distortion of the truth considering it wasn't vandalism or hate speech; just the planting of a common religious symbol unobtrusively.  Thus I'd say the phrase "stab" is entirely inappropriate.

In fact, if someone left a pagan symbol in the pews of the local church (which I would say is an equivalent action) do you really think we'd hear about it at all?

That doesn't mean I don't disagree with your point.  If something happens against Christianity it's going to be wider reported than if something happens to another religion.  There are simply more Christians so their interests are more pervasive.  This is still a step in the right direction, and I'd rather save my offense for when/if something worth my outrage actually does happen.

Carpy

I doubt that so one would go through the effort of making the cross then lugging it all they way to the site then leve it in plan view if they didn't mean to make some sort of statement about the site and the religion practiced there, thus taking a 'stab' at them, if only a weak half arsed stab.

And yes I do believe that had it been done in a church there would be more media coverage simply because the religious right would jump on it in an instant and then you would have the left talking about it in response.

Trieste

I really don't think there would. If someone left a Star of David in the middle of the church, if someone left a carving of the ohm symbol thingie in the middle of a mosque, etc... I really don't think people would care.

HairyHeretic

Hang a banner saying Allāhu Akbar (God is great) in the local church and let me know what happens ;)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.