Surprise, the world is still here

Started by Vekseid, September 10, 2008, 07:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Sherona

*wonders how many times I aghasted Veks...*

Heehee, wonderful blog hun, I commented in the Blog Commentary Trieste had posted already. But in short, thoroughly enjoyed it.

HairyHeretic

I think they're only just warming it up still. Isn't it a while before they actually do the smashy smashy?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Vekseid

Low energy tests have been done but the high energy ones are not planned until late October, I believe.

Sherona

Gods! The world will end in October..*goes to spend every last bit of her savings, and generally forgets how to act humanly civil*...

And for those who do not know me, thats my way of being sarcastic...*smiles*

HairyHeretic

Apparently the first data has come back.

It said 42  :D
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Caity

Porphyre

They warmed it up... And it broke...

I don't think they did the actual collisions.

Anyway it's actually a portal to hell they're trying to open, not black holes.

Vekseid

You have to see someone claim it in all serious to believe how loony people can get:

Porphyre

You must admit, the second still picture about 3 seconds into the video looks like something straight out of Doom.

Oniya

It would tie in with the late-October date - Darn them devil-worshippin' heathens an' their candy-coated holidays!

*sighs*  I remember the original Doom.  Excellent stress relief after a day of tech-support.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

Quote from: Vekseid on September 21, 2008, 06:45:24 PM
You have to see someone claim it in all serious to believe how loony people can get:

Hmmm, total running time of 9:26 minutes of my life I'm not getting back if I watch it all.

I got as far as 'the return of the something from planet Niburu' and figured out this guy is nuttier than a family-sized peanut-buster parfait with extra nuts from Dairy Queen.

Why oh why in this modern and fantastic era of astronomy does the mythos of Niburu, Vulcan and Lilith, etc. persist? Are people this easily deluded by religion and mysticism that they're willing to do anything to accept this into their lives? Are our lives really this empty?

Wait...don't answer that.

I could dump my own stool sample on the living room rug and spend hours staring at it, and it would likely be more interesting than this dufus.  >:(

The Overlord

Quote- a schoolboy knows that a black hole is a collapsed star...

No, actually a collapsed multi solar mass is the easiest way to naturally make a black hole.

There are ways to induce a singularity into existence with these colliders, but they evaporate because they haven't the mass of a star and thus the gravity well to sustain more than a few millionths or billionths of a second at a time.

Next time read up a little on the actual science before making a vid and posting it for all the world to laugh it. The basic concept of what they're planning to try is not really all that hard to get your head around. *sigh

Re-edit, wait...who exactly was this 'personal attack' aimed at? The guy in the video? Who cares, he's nuts.

Oniya

Just goes to show - some look at the unknown with hope, others with fear.  I find that fear of the unknown is a waste of energy, compared with fear of the known.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Porphyre

I for one welcome our new demonic overlords.

The Overlord

What I'd like to know is if the Van Allen belts didn't prevent passage of the Apollo craft and their crews, (and yes, I'm pretty sure this bloke is among those who say they never made it to the moon) how the hell do you expect them to hinder an attack fleet from Niburu?  :)

Porphyre

Oniya

I heard a story about a Flat-Earther who got shown a picture of the Earth from space.  "There, surely you must admit that the Earth is round," his friend said.  The man looked at it, turned it in different directions, and slowly comprehension dawned on his face.  He clapped his hand to the top of his head and exclaimed:

"The Earth..... is a circle!"

The point being that, even if you show people evidence disproving one theory, there are some that will take those facts and warp them to fit what they want to believe.

Porphyre

;D

If you've ever read Discworld, there's a great counter-example in there of how measurements can be misinterpreted. Their world, being a flat disc shape, has a small sun that orbits it. I can't remember who 'proves' that the discworld revolves around the sun by using parallax and such measurements.

I've got a friend who believes chemtrails are the government trying to mess with us. Because they linger in the air too long, and only conspiracy theorists know how long a vapour trail should really last.

I'm pretty sure 'Niburu guy' is faking his belief though. It seems a little... much.

The Overlord

Quote from: Oniya on September 22, 2008, 08:25:48 PM
I heard a story about a Flat-Earther who got shown a picture of the Earth from space.  "There, surely you must admit that the Earth is round," his friend said.  The man looked at it, turned it in different directions, and slowly comprehension dawned on his face.  He clapped his hand to the top of his head and exclaimed:

"The Earth..... is a circle!"

The point being that, even if you show people evidence disproving one theory, there are some that will take those facts and warp them to fit what they want to believe.

Funny how that flat circle only shows one side at a time...someone should have asked him why he can't see N&S America, Europe, Asia and Africa all at the same time. I'd love to hear the explanation for that.

You know, I realize we live in a day and age when this politically correct BS keeps rearing its ugly head and we tend to walk on eggshells when we tread on religious convictions.

It is MY conviction that there's a point you have to say enough is enough and this is just plain frelling stupid.

I'll come right out and say, and yes, I realize this is taking the thread off the road a bit, but I so feel the need to vent.

Hardcore religionists are pussies. There, I said it, and I'm hella not taking it back.

Why? Here's why.

Argue all day and night with them, but get too controversial, come to close to upstaging them in debate and they cry Holy Book as easily as Peter cries Wolf.

If all else fails, come to argue your book is infallibly correct on the mechanics of the universe, even though it contains 6000 year old science and is full of mythology and metaphors.

I think it was Anne Coulter that made the remark she believes in the 'tough love' approach with liberals, and funny, that's about where I feel on hardcore conservatives.

Enough. There's a point where you have to wake up and smell the coffee, pull your damned head out of the sand...use any metaphor you prefer, but the point is at some point you have to evolve and grow up.

Science doesn't have the 'you offended my beliefs' security blanket to fall back on, but of course it doesn't need one, and that alone should tell you something.

I am simply frustrated and perplexed how people can still buy into such blind ignorance. There's a reason P.T. Barnum said another sucker is born every moment. To rehash what I've posted in a similar thread, are our lives really this empty? That we have to resort to such childish tales to feel significant?

This fruitcake in the video...just how can you be this deluded? Tell me that.  :-\  >:(

The Overlord

Quote from: Porphyre on September 22, 2008, 08:48:01 PM

I'm pretty sure 'Niburu guy' is faking his belief though. It seems a little... much.

Yeah maybe he's just a good actor, but he's pretty convincing in his looney toons factor.