{~*Corner Sweets*~}

Started by Spa O o fey, October 15, 2008, 12:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wistful Dream

Ari had been working steadily for the past hour or so, the ovens were all full for the moment and she felt pleased, there was nothing else like it, working in the kitchen, steadily for a period of time, dough in her hands and being shaped. Her lips parted in a soft sigh as she leaned against the counter, flour dusting the surface for the moment as she regarded the kitchen, humming softly. Then she whirled her hands a touch, sending the flour particles up, dancing over the counter and cutting boards and into a bowl she kept of "used" flour. She would re-coat the surfaces later with the same so there was no waste. For a small business anyway of spending money was a good idea.

She should check on Evalynn soon, she had been awfully quiet for her normal morning crankiness and had not once turned up to try and get some sweet made or steal something freshly baked off the racks to fill a craving. The store seemed awfully quiet for right now, especially considering that the rest of the staff was suppose to be around. Perhaps they were out on deliveries then, certainly Allegora hadn't shown up yet in the kitchen to pester her. Vivian did stick her head in then with a smile and and come over, sniffing at the cooling racks.

Vi plucked up a sugar cookie that had yet to have frosting to decorate it. Ari did basic baking first thing, the cookies, muffins, breads and other such staples. The fancier things like eclairs, and other specialty items came later. "Your sister is talking to a stranger out front, perhaps you could bring them both some of these? They are great like always."

Ariella smiled at the younger female, having to smile up of course; and nodded. "Yes that does sound like a good idea, the breads are in the ovens now so I have some down time." She moved around the kitchen then, picking up a plate and placing a selection of tea cakes, biscuits and cookies upon it. Then she ventured forth into the main room, smiling when she noticed that her twin was sitting. "Eva love, I brought you some treats."

Johus

Johus continued in a manner most civil as they carried on, both of them in no hurry to see the conversation end, perhaps merely out of a lack of things to do, or because the company was quite pleasant, or even a combination of the two. He listened and sipped his drink, though he did so slowly, taking his time with every taste as he let it fall down his throat eventually, however far too measured to make a lewd noise as he swallowed. After she was done speaking he kept his quiet for a few moments, turning over the response in his head. He placed down the cup and saucer, still only halfway gone, and looked across to the lady, a half way smile that seemed more a smirk flashed to her for a moment; a dangerous and beguiling expression truth be told, though it did not linger long as words disrupted the image,

"Ideals are a fools errand, they serve to make a good man feel poor. A saint sins once by his own standard, and forever his ideal is marred, even when that very sin can drive him to be a saint all the more. If one ill should breed a life time of good, can the ill be considered such? What is one thing, but a response to another, in an ever cascading series of events, existing without beginning, middle or end, save the lines drawn by man? Ideals are impossible for they are not subject to change, they are static and without motion... where as it is the very stuff of life to be moving, to be dynamic and ever changing. Ideals are things that shrewd men use, to make those who are otherwise noble and good, fail to see what they are."

he seemed somewhat heated by the end, as if he would seek out such a "shrewd" man, and cause him much harm. He cleared his throat and brought his free hand down over the front of his garment, smoothing it out and setting it right, an action that served very much to calm him. Another deep breath and his smile returned, all ire put aside for a moment as he found himself speaking once again.

"Though you also asked another question, more to the point of where I am from, which is to say no where in particular. I have never found a homeland, and never claimed one in fact. Where I was two days ago, is as much as where I am from as where I first came into awareness. Are you from where you are born, or where you are raised, or are you from the place that matters the most to you? If you must know the more mundane details however, I am from a land that has been many times destroyed, the kingdom of Ozymandias himself, though I was not birthed there. Of you then, good miss, what will you share of your past and yourself; what will you offer to a stranger?"

He grinned, as if mockingly challenging her to reveal more, a childish trick that sometimes worked, as we are all children just beneath. He took his cup up again and took another sip,  watching her before she might choose to respond, as if how she did would tell as much as the words that were chosen.

anon

"Oh I don't know, Vi." Ally answered with a low laugh, watching the stranger.

Silver bells jingled as Ally moved to watch the stranger with interest, resting her elbow on the counter. "Ideals changes constantly." She said airily as she blew a kiss at the image on the wall and watches her return the gesture. "It's only the stubborn that sees them as static." Stretching, she headed toward the kitchen. "So...I'm off to make some sugar bubbles. Any requests?" She called over her shoulders as she headed into the kitchen.

Within minutes, she was in her own little corner, absorbed in her world of sugar fantasies as she slowly formed the small sugar globes, dances of vivid colors above the iridescent glow. Finishing one, she carefully placed the delicate creation on the wax paper before moving on to the next.
Ons/Offs ~ Absences
Disclaimer (thanks Caeli xP): I am NOT a kitty...just...kitty-like.
"I never trust a sneaky pussy." - Paradox

Spa O o fey

Eva quirked an eyebrow. Sipping more at her tea as she the contemplated the stranger. All around people were coming to life again, begining work that is. Her sister Ari appeared next to her with a tray of treats and a smile. A striking resemblance to Eva physically Ari held a different personality all together.

Evalynn selected a chocolate treat, placing the small delectable into her mouth. Letting it melt onto her tongue her blue eyes shifted back towards the man. Pressing her tongue into the crevices of her mouth she cleaned away any clue of chocolate before flicking her tongue over her lips.

Tilting her head she stared at her tea for a moment. "Oh.." she breathed a bit, "I'm from near by. But, in my younger days I traveled the lands." How vague. Eva's head rose, her eyes rolling over him with amusement. "What brings you here, then.. Sir?" she paused, not knowing his name as her hand brushed over the air as if to indicate the store, or perhaps more.

Her eyes turned towards Vi. The wonderfully talented artist that was working on the mural behind the counters. "No, thank you. Ari spoils me with enough treats, love." Turning back again she helped herself to another delectable sugary good.

Johus

"Then you have never met a true idealist of a man." His retort to Ally was simple and polite, though also was it direct. He nodded towards her and said no more, as she seemed to be otherwise engaged for the morn,  and as such Johus would return his attentions to the woman seated near to him, now enjoying the tempting delight in a most appealing way. He smiled as she savored, watching her whole face melt for a few moments before she returned to the present time.  He seemed to enjoy the silvery sound as it faded into the distance, the subtle motion within the air delightful even in its passing. He took another sip from his drink as he watched the shop come to life around them, out of place in such a world, the dark hues of his clothing and eyes suggested something sinister. He did not act as he appeared though, continuing to enjoy himself as would any other customer.

"Nothing in particular, save traveling for travels' sake. I am one of the fortunate few bohemians in the world, and I take my job of the easy life quite serious, you ought to know. It is difficult, always being at ease, never falling victim to stress or worry, but still I prefer it, given the alternative choice."

He responded with a grin and a wink as well, a most human gesture from a most inhuman looking man. He chuckled as well and seemed to recall some wild misadventure, his lips parting to reveal a perfect row of teeth before he shook his head and dismissed the thought, however pleasant it might have been.

"You could say I do many things, and like all artists I hate to be defined by my work, nor do I wish the label that seems to imply so much more then mere profession. Artists are regarded in some places as scoundrels, and in others as gifts from the Gods. In fact, as man climbs ever higher upon the rungs of the ladder of civilization, his disdain for the creative, for the artist, seems to increase in direct proportion. I theorize as man turns his back on his roots, on his true origins, he no longer wishes to view the works that spring from that source, as do nearly all artistic endeavors.  They deny the artist and the art, so they are not made to remember that man is what he is, and cannot escape that. They embrace the lie and burn the truth... so do forgive me if I hesitate to commit to such a profession, but it is a part of why I came, and what I seek at this moment."

he smiled again and sipped his tea, though now it was nearly gone. He placed it back upon the saucer and slid it away from himself just enough so he would not be tempted to drink from it out of habit or lack of thought.

Spa O o fey

Evalynn was impressed. She poked idly at the tray of treats, thoughtfully.. As if each sugary delectable was a response to this rather odd conversation. Her clean fingers passed over each treat noting the texture beneath her finger. Deciding she hadn't a taste for the sweets anymore she merely ran her finger around the rim of the tray idly. Surely, this woman could sit still. It was no wonder she complained about the constant activities of the child in her womb afterall, Eva couldn't even remain still for too long herself.

Azure traveled over his form, taking in his attire slowly. An eyebrow rose over half lidded eyes as her gaze slid to his face once more. "Everyone can be defined by their work. Perhaps, not as truly and honestly as Artist. But, art is such a broad genre. I myself can regard just about anything to be "Art". Why, life itself could be considered "Art".  So, in my opinion a man can never escape art for he constantly creates it. Though, it may not be viewed well by the audience.." She smiled at that, knowing her choices were defiantly not something that Ari had viewed as brillant art. Perplexed about the rather deep conversation she was having with a stranger over tea she felt curiosity bubble, "Would you not say man himself is a work of art? Being so, as a masterpiece he can not create anything but art.. as he is art." A giggle rose from her slender throat, "Oh, the circles conversation can go."

With that she said she regarded him, rather intrigued, rather curious. Her eyes seemed to bore into him, always the business woman she pondered his puzzles, his aim. "What is it that you seek then, stranger?" she inquired lightly willing to be surprised by his answer.

Solaine

The two of them blended rather well into the scenery of this strange new world.  Phaedra had done her homework well.  Anyway, she didn’t particularly consider herself a stranger to Earth--- more like an ex-patriate moving through the semi-familiar sights and sounds of her new home. 

The same thing couldn’t be said about her companion.  Everything to him was alien and new--- perhaps because he himself was alien and new, like a new-born babe whose life was a vast field of nothing.  True, he could somehow remember how to speak, how to learn a new language, how to do sums in his head, how to work a woman’s jeans zipper and how to have sex.  Phaedra had proven to him he wasn’t lacking in those areas. 

But who he was, what he was, where he was from--- these were all glaring omissions from what his head should contain, but didn’t.

Phaedra had insisted they explore the town.  She had been here once before, during her few years on Earth going through university to get her doctorate in psychotherapy, but she had never been down this particular street.  The red cobbled stone path was too irresistible, and to Phaedra it might as well have a great big arrow pointing down it with a sign saying ‘The Road Less Travelled.’  This was what she loved, especially as these were the sorts of roads they needed to keep to as fugitives from their world. 

She stopped and sniffed the air.  “I smell chocolate.”  When it came to chocolate, her nose was like a bloodhound’s.  She guessed it was the quaint little shop past the iron gate from which such succulent scents tugged at her.  “I’m hungry.  Come on, mei agonei." My heart.  "It’s time we feed that bottomless stomach of yours.  I can hear it complaining.”

The man also sniffed.  Not to smell the chocolate, but to express mild disgust.  He was always hungry.  At six-four and two-hundred-ten plus pounds of pure lean muscle, whatever he ate never seemed to be enough.  He supposed it was the consequences of the savage illness that should have killed him but didn’t.  His body was recovering with a vengeance, although some parts of him (not the ones down below, thank the gods) refused to work properly--- like his eyes.  They were so sensitive to light that he had to wear sunglasses during the day, like he was now. 

Phaedra grabbed his hand and pulled him through the gate, down the path and into the shop, and he didn’t resist.  The smells of the bakery were too tempting for a man whose last meal three hours ago had been just a snack.

As usual, Kyros felt rather freakish--- a big man with longish dark hair, a masculine, strong-jawed face that might have been considered handsome if not for the scar on his forehead, sunglasses, and tattered jeans and faded shirt (Phaedra insisted these were the fashion among Earth men), he couldn’t help thinking people could see right through him for what he really was--- a man who was mentally ‘broken’, missing memories and all.  So he sat down quietly at one of the tables in the corner and let Phaedra go to the counter to get their food and drink for them. 

He watched the way her hips swayed as she walked away and knew a different hunger.  Phaedra was all woman, all soft, generous curves and slender valleys where they should be, with long shapely legs that could wrap around a man with surprising strength.  Her hair was also casually disheveled like his, long dark-brown tresses that curled just past her shoulders, large violet eyes with long lashes provided by nature and a face, while not classically beautiful, that seemed luminous from good-natured humor and enjoyment of life despite their predicament.

As she approached the counter, she noted the employees and other customers warily, having learned to scope out her surroundings from long practice as an illicit visitor to Earth.  An empath, she also learned to shut out all but the most pertinent emotions coming from those around her, or else she knew she would be overwhelmed by the incoming stimuli. 

She walked unhuriedly along the counter, noting all the offerings and breathing in the delight of coffee with simple pleasure.  She would wait patiently for an employee to help her with their order.
“Not the glittering weapon fights the fight, but rather the hero's heart.” ~ Proverb
~Currently not available for new games.~

Johus

"Good miss, I know you meant no insult, but a grievous sin you have committed, though it is no crime. You place the work beneath the worker, the artist above the art... the artist is naught but the vessel for bringing into being something else... it would be as if I were to imply your child were less than you, when in fact it is not. My dear, art is not the finished work, nor is it the admiration it is the act of being lost in something so much so that the very idea of existence fades, and there is only the doing. Dancers, fencers, painters and diggers, all are artists too me. They are pure in pursit, and no longer care about the creation and the creator, as they understand both to be necessary for either to be. To try and say cannot escape his work is like saying you cannot escape your legs... no of course you cannot, but one does not define the other. However, only when a man lets go of himself, only when he foregoes the notions built up by "society" can he tap into the creative soul, into the true heart of mortal men. Only then will he be free to express what is found there in, and only then will it touch others outside himself... until then he is a pretender, making caricatures of what art is."

He sounded so assured, so full of fire... there was a passion in him about that, one that would not be denied nor tamed in any manner. While her eyes seemed to delve into him, his gladly welcomed her, taking the stare into his gaze, and drawing her in deeper slowly. The abyss was what was in those eyes, the unbridled void, the place before and after all,  where all were from and would return too eventually, and it spoke to her of this. In those eyes there was endless stillness, endless peace, and endless time for questions. No sound, no sensation, no word or thought, there was freedom from the self and personality. To look too long would hypnotize the weaker souls, draw them close where they might find his words all the more enchanting as he wove them round  and round again, like a pythons coils about the mind.

"Truth be told I know naught what I seek, only that I will know it when its found, and then it will inspire whatever is to come next. Such is the way of the bohemian." He winked and grinned broadly too her, teasing her with that lifestyle most would only ever dream of living, and waiting for the response he knew would come from her, seeming to enjoy himself utterly in her company this morn.

Spa O o fey

Eva look a bit taken aback by his statement. A bit shocked by the accusation of sin. "A sin that is not a crime?" she questioned thoughtfully. A rhetorical question really, not a question she posed to him. But, perhaps the fact that she repeated it meant she was contemplating. Evalynn may bring it up later in passing conversation.. She huffed a bit, staring at him with eyes as bright as the skies before they turned a shade lighter. A fierceness passed over her expression, not used to being outdone. She often had battled with wits, keeping speed with the best of them. Even her husband, a brillant man and scientist-- she held her ground. But, this stranger was besting her. Evalynn sighed, her shoulder's relaxing again as she heaved the breath. No, she reminded herself, life wasn't a competition.

"My Child is more than me." she spoke finally, a rather harsh statement that was concrete in her commitment to motherhood. Sucking on her bottom lip for a moment she looked deeply into his eyes. Feeling a bit shaken as if she were drowning she averted her gaze to the door, noting the patrons lingering on the street. Surely, they could smell the scents of the bakery even from their position on the street.

Turning back to her company she tilted her head, venturing another glance at his eyes as she calmed. "Are you an author?" It was said in such an innocently childish tone that one couldn't help but laugh. Her eyes shifted to the threshold of the bakery, hearing the chime of the bells.

She gave a lovely smile, her moist lips curling delicately. Eva's eyes slid over the man, remind her of her husband, constantly disheveled and empty minded. She didn't look too deeply into it as he sat down. Her eyes slid the the striking woman, noticing the curves of her body. Eva's hand grazed over her stomach unconsciously comparing herself. Ah, to be voluptuous again. She sighed outwardly as her eyebrows rose. Eyes scanning the area she noticed her employees were indisposed.

"Is there anything you need, Miss?" came her honey voice from the corner. She didn't look much like an employee. Infact, with the company she was keeping she looked very much a customer herself.

Johus

He nodded as she spoke those words etched within her soul, of her child's place. He made no further remark as to art or creation, as she seemed to grasp his intention. They watched one another for a long moments time, as if seeking out the heart of the others' conviction. Johus showed no remorse, or even awareness of his effect on others when he stared at them; quite the contrary, as he seemed to take some personal delight at that magnetic pull. There was a moment before she looked away, when she could feel something resonate within him, something foreign and strange, rarely would it have been felt before. As if her mind was the shore, and his gaze the ever changing tides wearing away the sand until nothing of it remained, save more ocean. Then it would be gone again, the strange, unsettling feeling vanishing the second she looked away from that vision, as if it were just a trick of the mind brought on by hormones and over work. In retrospect she might recall that he rarely seemed to blink, though in the moments she directly looked on him, nothing would appear out of place.

He definitely seemed bemused by her question, and he let forth a low chuckle that seemed to reverberate within his chest, giving it a pleasant tenor. He shook his head and said only in reply, "Not an author no, but perhaps something like it, perhaps when you are not otherwise indisposed, we can talk of my artistry, and what it is."

He rose up from his seat and returned the chair to the proper location, then the gentleman took up his silver topped cane and checked his clothes once again. Carefully he set right every line of his garment until it was flawless to look at, then he donned his customary grin, both pleasant and predatory, and nodded to the other customers therein.

"Good Day" Was his remark as he moved through the shop the door, pausing only to glance at his now engaged companion, and offered her a bow as well performed as she would find outside of a nobles court. Then he was gone as he came, with a slight clatter of bells as the door moved past, and then he was off and perhaps forgotten, though he would not mind that. In truth the girl had provided wonderful analogies, and gifted him with new insights into the human soul... whatever might come to pass, he would not soon forget that woman, not that he could forget anything, for that matter.

Solaine

Phaedra looked at her in surprise, not expecting that the radiant, golden-haired woman worked in the bakery, thinking she was one of the customers too. She glanced at the man the woman had been conversing with as he left the shop, curiously sensing something about him.  But she didn’t have time to open her empath to explore further.

Then she noted that the woman was expecting, which explained the radiance from within and without, and smiled back brightly. 

“Hello, yes, we’re starving.  And your bread looks sooo good.  Do you make sandwiches?”   Even if they didn’t, she and Ky would devour the bread, and whatever goodies the bakery had to offer. They had been walking for hours so they weren’t very picky, everything her eyes lingered on in the shop made her mouth water. “If you do, we’ll take two, and two coffees, please.”  Her eyes drifted down to the other woman’s child-swollen belly with a touch of wistfulness.  Someday, perhaps, she would have a child of her own, but for the time being there was still so much to do.  “When are you due?”

Ky had also taken note of the occupants of the bakery, automatically cataloguing each and every one in his mind, watching the one customer leave.  He was unaware of this little habit of his, not knowing that his training as a Damon still stayed with him.  Phaedra had insisted on the details of his life before memory loss but he still couldn’t quite bring himself to believe her.  But what else could he believe?  How can he argue that alternate realities didn’t exist when he really didn’t know anything, despite everything his instinct shouted at him?

He had acknowledged the gold-haired woman’s smile with a nod as they entered, and now his eyes took her in from behind his sunglasses.  Pregnant but still looking damn good… and probably spoken for.  He turned his gaze away and inspected the wall nearest him and its askew artworks.
“Not the glittering weapon fights the fight, but rather the hero's heart.” ~ Proverb

Wistful Dream

Ari had left the tray on the table when neither her sister nor the stranger seemed to acknowledge her, instead going back to the kitchen to start loading up the trays and bring them out to the front. The man seemed to be holding her sister's attention and for that she was thankful, Eva needed to be off her feet more and if anyone could get her to sit still for any length of time and drink soothing tea Ariella was more then happy to leave the two be for now. Besides with Ally in the kitchen and Vi working along side her for now it wouldn't take that long to carry the sweets and goods out front.

Once there it was two artistic hands that worked as the display, and she loved how the tea cakes had turned out this morning, the batching of icing had been very cooperative thankfully, and it was almost like a mini garden on their tray, she murmured to her creations, thankfully they weren't as lively as Vi's paintings, but she put well wishes and simple charms for good health, luck and warding from illness. She wanted to help others as much as she could. Vivian watched her, of course the raven haired girl watched everyone and their eyes met, forget me not to dark emerald and both smiled. For all that they were so different they got along well, the general agreement of the shop was that it was impossible to not like Ari, Vi was difficult at times, but Ariella knew her heart was in a good place.

"Go help Ally now, see if she has her first batches up and ready." Vi nodded and slipped back into the kitchen just as two more customers came into the store. Ari kept at her work, straightening up the count and the foods behind. Then Eva spoke and her twin had to sigh, the woman needed to stay still so she took the moment to intercede at the strange female's question. "We don't normally but it would be easy to do so, depending of course what you want. We are mostly a sweets type of store but I'm the chef so just let me know how I can help you."

At the mention of coffee she turned and clicked on the pot now, pulling down two mugs for it before going back to the counter and offering up the sample tray that was on the counter, there were a few tea cakes, some cookies, a similar arrangement to the plate sitting before her twin right now. "Would you like a free sample while you wait?"

anon

A billow of sugar cloud went up as Ally dusted the small spheres, her head bobbing to music that only she can hear as she danced about the space, picking up the ingredients and forming her sugar creations.

Her fingers delicately balancing the clear spheres as she held it up to the light to inspect it, she turned it a little, ignoring the commotion going on about outside as she studied the swirls. "Ah. Lovely." She murmured, eyebrows furrowed in concentration as she placed it down carefully on the sheet.

Oblivious to the world, she spun about again before tapping her fingers along the counter and traveling over to the stove, checking the temperature of the concoction inside. The sugar mixture had taken on a glossy texture. She nodded in satisfaction before taking it off the stove and pouring it over the marble counter. A transparent sprawl of crimson glass appeared.
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

Wistful Dream

Vi lounged against the doorway, looking at Ally more with a slight smile on her face before snickering at her dancing toward the oven. She came in deeper, brushing raven strands of hair out of her eyes as she observed the candy making in progress before drawling out in a sing song tone.

"You know...I think you have officially inhaled too much sugar. Want some help?" She tightened her apron around her waist and reached up tuck her hair behind her ears, noting that there were still two trays that needed to be carried out to Ari in the main part of the store. Yet although Vi was picky about people she honestly liked Ally, perhaps because she was nearly as odd as Vi herself.

"Ariella wants to know if you have anything ready to go for her to arrange out there as well."

anon

Ally nodded at the tray of the sugared spheres on the counter as she worked with the cooling syrup, the candy taking on a glossy shine as she played with it. "Just those, Vi." She studied the smear of red thoughtfully as she rolled them and twists them into various little shapes before coiling them up into miniature little knots. "Hm. What do you think? Turtles, swans or catfish?" She asked off-handed as she checked the other pots on the stove. Spinning the mix a little over the stove and checking the temperature, she turned back to putting the small knots on the trays.

She'd been known to create...interesting creatures out of her sugar. Yesterday's special had been a weird combination of a butterfly and a frog. Ally paused, twirling the small pump between her fingers while she tapped the pipe in her other hand. "Or maybe mice?" Her smile turned mischievous. "I haven't done that one for a while."
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

Wistful Dream

Vi moved over toward the try of the already done candies, glancing at Ally at the question. Personally she thought putting spiders out there might be interesting, or maybe even fairy ones, but her ideas were more for paint then for candy.

"Turtles, they'll sell more." She murmured as she picked up the rack of candies and a rack of baked sweets as well to carry out into the main room. Then of course Ally had to come up with something else, and Vi couldn't help the snort that came out at the suggestion. "Yes and do you remember how made Eva got at you after the last one? You need to make things that will sell hun, not whatever you fancy.. I'll paint you a mouse though."

Solaine

Phaedra’s eyes became rounder at beholding the twin of the first woman.  But her smile never wavered.  “Oh, our needs are very simple.  Whatever you have, even just a cheese sandwich will do fine, or even just toast.”  She laughed a little.  “My – friend would require a lot of it, though.  And of course we’ll have some of these.  May I?”  She picked out a beautiful tea cake and nibbled on it, closing her eyes for a few seconds as the morsel dissolved blissfully in her mouth.  “Thank you.”  She gestured for Ky to come over, pointing at the tray.   

Ky’s gaze fell on the twin of the petite, gold-haired woman.  No, definitely not pregnant.  But having grimly established himself in what he thought was his safe zone, he was reluctant to get up.  Still, the tray beckoned to him.  Before he could stop himself, he ran a hand through his hair, which only made the waves even more disheveled, but he made himself get up and brave the counter… and the pretty woman behind it.

“They’re samples,” Phaedra explained, and Ky frowned slightly at her. So what was she telling him? Not to inhale the freebies? Even with amnesia, he knew better than to scarf up the contents of the sample tray.  He selected a cookie and took a bite, chewing slowly to make it last longer.  He nodded to the golden woman who had offered the tray.

“It’s good,” he conceded, deep voice gravelly around the cookie crumbs. 

“You have a lovely shop,” Phaedra enthused.  “So warm and inviting.  We couldn’t resist.”

anon

"Ah Eva never lets me have any fun." Ally grumbled before stabbing the pipe into a piece of sugar and attach the pump. She began forming a turtle, crafting the shell carefully as she did so. "Think you can make the mouse squeak whenever she walks in the room?"

Her lips quirked as she took a toothpick and picked a goofy smile on the turtle's face before putting it down lightly on the table, the green sheen glinting under the light. Hearing the voices of strangers, however, she popped her head out of the kitchen. "Customers?" The silver bells jingled as she nodded at them. "Question, would you rather have a turtle, swan, or catfish? Or mouse?" She added, lowering her voice conspiratorially. "Get the answer right and I'll make one for you."
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

Solaine

Ky searched his mind wildly.  Did he know what a turtle, swan, catfish or mouse was?  To his relief, he did recognize them as animals of Earth.  Was the girl with the blue-dyed streaks in her dark hair and the impish, mischievous twinkle in her eyes asking them if they wanted an animal?  Then, rightly grasping that she was going to create an edible animal specimen for them, he hurriedly swallowed the last bite of his cookie and absently reached for a tea cake.

“Ummm, turtle?”  He gave her a crooked, self-deprecating grin, revealing white, even teeth.  He felt an affinity for the poor shelled creature—he really hated being this slow.  Did turtles know how slow they were?  “No, wait.  Make that catfish.” 

Phaedra laughed.  “Turtle.  You remind me of one when you come out of your shell.”  She winked at the girl.  Ky really did need to get out more… although how to do that safely was always uppermost on her mind.

Wistful Dream

Ari smiled easily at the woman and laughed softly "Oh, no I can do you better then a cheese one. Just give me a bit and I'll have it out in no time." She smiled at their happy expressions with her treats, glad she had put a ward of health on them, these two seemed exhausted and a little worse for the wear, and that would simply never do. She turned, going into the kitchen to take up the loaf of bread she had set apart earlier, wielding a rather large bread knife to slice clean through and get several large slices of the fresh bread.

She made her way over to the fridge next and pulled out the different lunch meets and such supplies they kept for their own noon day meal and set about making four sandwiches, her hands moving with the casual ease of someone long use to the kitchen, humming softly as she wished smaller spells into the food, things to rejuvenate them. In less then ten minutes she reappeared with two plates and set them down on the counter, turning to pour coffee into both of the mugs she had left and then placing those besides the plates.

"I'm glad you couldn't resist Miss, its always a pleasure to serve those who need and enjoy our services." She said with a bright smile and she meant every word. "Would you like a muffin or some other sweets to go a long with that?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vi laughed at the petulant Ally and shook her head "No hun, they can't make any noises sweets, just move. Eva would kill me if I ever even did figure out that trick and I rather like my life." Vi leaned out of the kitchen as well and tousled Ally's hair in a affectionate manner as she stepped over to the counter and picked up the plates and such that Ari had set out, loading them onto a tray.

"Don't mind that silly miss, now where would like to sit? I'll carry your tray for you."

anon

"Ah ha." Ally announced, triumph in her voice. "See? Catfish. There are people that want them." She stuck her tongue out at Eva. "You, sir, just earned yourself a fish." She added to Ky as she disappeared back into the kitchen again. A few seconds later, she popped back out, casting a look at Phaedra. "And you can get the turtle I guess...the challenger still wins in the event of a draw!"

She returned to her work area and within a few minutes, reappear with a lifelike catfish in her hand and the turtle in the other. "The catfish is named Sushi and the turtle's named Wasabi." She said, offering them to the two strangers. "Take good care of them." So saying, she blew kisses at the two sugar creation before dancing back into the kitchen again, the jingle of the bell chiming in her wake.
Ons/Offs ~ Absences

Solaine

Phaedra did feel something wonderful about these sweet offerings.  Looking at Ky, she felt he seemed more at ease, the tension gone from the big shoulders, and a smile was actually twitching on his well-formed mouth as he regarded the women behind the counter.  She also felt a sense of well-being, her tiredness slipping away from her. 

When the gold-haired woman returned with their plates, Ky actually took off his sunglasses, blinking as he gazed at what the woman had prepared for them.  Cerulean blue eyes that weren’t empty at all—in fact, they seemed to contain a world of secrets, secrets deep and hidden even from himself. 

“Wow,” he murmured.  “Now that’s a meal.”  He looked at the woman whose name was Ari and smiled.  “Thanks.”  Maybe he didn’t say very much, but what he did say was packed with meaning.  He was beginning to realize just what sort of world Earth was, and what sort of people it contained… of course not knowing that the Corner Sweets shop was not a typical Earth bakery!

Phaedra’s jaw had dropped a little as she looked at the laden plates, then her face broke out in a smile as bright as a sunspot.  “Thanks so much! Oh yes, we’ll take a couple of this .. and this… and this…”  She pointed to the succulents behind the glass, not caring if she was ordering overkill for their meal.  Besides, it was better to buy too much rather than too little where Ky was concerned, and she really was determined to give the shop as much business as she could.  She opened her purse to take out her wallet, took out money to pay for their meal, dropped a few bills in the tip container, and tilted her head to one side as she regarded the other woman with a puzzled smile.

Most of the time she kept her empath suppressed, not wishing to pry on others and to keep the stimuli down.  But she couldn’t help sensing something different about the woman… and the shop.

“Thank you so much,” she repeated warmly. Then she blinked in delight and confusion as the girl called Ally granted them the two life-like sugar creations.  “Why, thank you!”

“Thanks!” Ky called after Ally, then regarded his catfish admiringly.  “This would look great on my desk.”

“I think we’re supposed to eat them,” Phaedra whispered to him.  Then, uncertainly, “Aren’t we?”

“You eat Wasabi. Sushi goes on my desk,” he said firmly.  He liked the catfish.

Phaedra had to laugh and turned back to Ari with a grin.  “How much do we owe you?” 

Wistful Dream

Ari laughed at Ally, a soft chuckle but she didn't bother to hide it, it was not in her nature to be in anyway ashamed of the simple joys in her life. It was a good thing Eva seemed drowsy at the moment for the girls outward spark as she danced in and out of the kitchen and behind the counter. At the female customer's gestures she fetched two cinnamon rolls, smaller in size then most bakeries sold, two cookies and a small collection of tea cakes, her hands dancing over the plate she arranged them on as she set them on Vi's tray.

The raven haired young woman nodded then and took up the tray, walking to a near by table to set it down and arrange it all. Ari plugged in the amounts for each thing, only charging for the slices of bread rather then the whole sandwiches, after all they were rather hungry, and had ordered so much, it couldn't hurt to give them a bit of a break.

Besides, she rather liked these strangers. "$15.34 altogether, you could have probably gotten a cheaper meal at a fast food place, but I think quality makes up for some of it" she said with a bright smile. "Let Vi know if you need anything else, I should be heading back into the kitchen."

Solaine

“That’s not much at all,” Phaedra assured her.  Besides, she was tired of fast food and would gladly pay twice that amount for a meal like this.  She handed Ari a twenty and lowered her voice to a whisper too, violet eyes dancing.  “Keep the change for your sugar artist.  I can tell Ky is already attached to his catfish.”

Ky had followed the raven-haired waitress to the table, waiting until she was done before sitting down and putting Sushi the Catfish carefully down beside his plate.  He nodded and smiled at her, rubbing his hands over his thighs in anticipation, but not quite willing for yet another pretty female to watch him eat.  Phaedra often complained that he didn’t even chew his food, it disappeared so fast—a consequence, she told him, of eating on the run, both as a Damon and as a fugitive.  He wryly doubted Vi would appreciate his table manners.

“Thank you, we will,” Phaedra said to Ari with a farewell nod and smile before turning and following Ky, holding Wasabi the Sugar Turtle gingerly in one hand. It was so life-like and delicate, she was afraid it would break, or, worse, melt.  She had decided against eating it. 

She sat down  across from Ky and smiled at Vi.  “This looks wonderful, thank you.”  She couldn’t quite contain her drool.  How long since they had eaten a meal as appetizing and hearty as this?  Too long.

Wistful Dream

Ari smiled as the woman paid her, although her eyes widened at the generous tipping but nodded all the same, smiling at Phaedra's whisper and bright expression. "Ally does do a lovely job." She chimed back before carefully putting away the money and taking out what would be the change to give to Ally and slipped it into her apron pocket for when she returned to the kitchen. Vi had left the finished trays of treats out though and she turned her attention next to them organizing them in the displays.

The strangers seemed happy here and that put her in a good mood, after all she worked hard with her sister to make sure that this place would be somewhere everyone could be at ease. Her hair was falling out so after a few moments she slipped back into the kitchen going over to the other female still working to tap her on the shoulder and give her the extra tip. "They liked their presents ma petite..." And with that she set about working on the more delicate creations she made.

Vi had laid out the meal neatly, glancing up at the strange man, curious about Ky but not opening her mouth, her emeralds eyes showed for a brief moment their intensity, a butterfly moved in the mural, that was a good sign, he didn't have bad intentions then. So she flashed him a brief smile and then nodded to what she believed was his wife.

"A pleasure. Enjoy, I'll be at the counter." And with that she slipped away to leave them to their meal.