Halfs And Wholes [byShia&National Acrobat, idea by Shia,with summary, COMPLETED]

Started by Shia, February 24, 2010, 09:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

National Acrobat

It had indeed been a long day for Dr. Cody Richardson.

It had started when the Colony Ship Constellation had a catastrophic accident while testing out her new jump engines. She was now a twisted wreck in space. The Endeavor had been close, and responded. Wounded had come on board in droves. It was awful.

Cody had been thrust into the middle of it on his first shift in the emergency room aboard the ship. His first shift.

The man had been the father of four children, ranging in age from three to seventeen, and Cody had tried for longer than normal to get the bleeding to stop, but the shrapnel wounds were just too much.

He looked up and saw Imma coming. He managed a weak smile.

'Terrible. Absolutely terrible. I am supposed to save lives, not watch them die. I couldn't-I couldn't do it. He was young, had children, a wife...' he said, his voice trailing off. His skin was pale.

Shia

Imma sighed and leaned against the wall beside Richardson, giving his hair a few gentle strokes with her free hand, then nestled her head to his shoulder.
"We fail.. Time to time it happens, you know that.. No matter how hard we want the opposite..."
A few other staff members passed them by but everybody was too busy to pay more attention to them than the usual look and nod. After all, nothing special happened - death payed the bill.
"I'm here.. And you can tell me anything, you can curse, you can pray, whatever. I'll keep that. At a good place in my heart."
The same hand gave an encouraging squeeze to his.

National Acrobat

'I know it does, and I know that it is inevitable. We can't save everyone, but it just seemed so unfair. He had so much to live for, and I couldn't make it happen' he said to her. He'd never felt like he'd failed so much before. 'I had to tell his wife, it was awful. I had to tell her that I failed her' he said, nearly choking up.

He put one arm around her, and she took his other hand. 'Thank you, Imma. That means a lot to me. I, I could use the company. Would you like to grab a bite to eat, or something to drink. I don't think I want to go back to my quarters right now, at least not before talking some. I am afraid if I go back I'll just drink too much' he said to her. Besides, he'd rather have the company. He needed it.

Shia

With a mischievous smile she leaned closer, planting a gentle kiss on the weary surgeon forehead.
"Have a shower and be at my quarters an hour later. I'm finished here for today and I think I know what you need just right now..."
Imma quickly wrote the number of her apartment on a slice of paper and carefully she slid it into the pocket of his cape.
"Here. This is your ticket to Optimism. I'll show you why..." She gave him a last wink then patting his shoulder she stumbled away, back to the elevator.
That fall, on the day before yesterday made her more cautious. Not because of herself but because he asked her to be so...

National Acrobat

'Alright' he said to her rather quietly, squeezing her hand. 'I will do that, and I thank you' he said to her as she kissed his forehead. 'A ticket to optimism. What a lovely phrase' he said, grinning as she headed off, back to her apartment.

He still felt a bit down. Great days in the emergency room were just that: Great Days. Bad days, however, were worse than it sounded. One bad incident could shake a surgeon's confidence, one really bad outcome could follow them forever.

He went back to his quarters, and took a long, hot shower, and shaved. He then dressed in his favorite clothing, a simple pair of blue jeans, cowboy boots and a simple shirt. With that, it was off to see Imma. He arrived at her door feeling a bit more relaxed and upbeat.

Shia

Almost his mirror image opened up the door for him once Cody pressed the button of the com link: loose hair, jeans, T-shirt... except she was "barefeet" here, he could take a long peek at the end of her nicely formed new legs. There were no toes there but the construction looked reliable and quite feminish, to say so. 
"Come in, make yourself at home."
Behind her a small picnic scene appeared, arranged on a blanket on the soft wall to wall carpet, only some colourful spot lights were on and many, many many little candle lights dancing under the majestic view that welcomed him at the place of her ceiling which was actually one large window, revealing the wonders of space.
"You like it?" Imma chuckled, obviously she already started to get used to this breathtaking background and was happy to share it with somebody else too. 
In the silence he could hear the slight, almost unhearable buzzing of her metallic arm as she quickly picked up her cardigan from the back of the sofa - to cover the embarrassing reality of her new being...

National Acrobat

'Wow' he said, amazed at all this. He hadn't had a clue what she was up to, but he smiled. 'Yes, yes I do. I like your choice of clothing, by the way' he said, noting her similar style of dress. He offered to help her with the cardigan. 'You look really, really nice. Very nice' he added.

'It's fantastic' he said, looking at her preparations. The window into space was majestic. 'Thank you, I already feel much better' he said to her.

Shia

Truth was she liked skirts. No, she loved skirts but after the accident everything turned upside down for Imma and she didn't feel the right to wear a cloth like that anymore, nor the sleeveless tops she was so fond of and from what she had a wide and colourful collection, each piece a fully written sheet in her mental diary.
So she turned back to jeans and T-shirt with a minimal cleavage and with much sorrow hidden under their material...
But now, a sparkle began to dance on the skin of her cheeks and blushing slightly as a springtime tulip she asked back. Insecure. Hoping?... She stopped halfway in her dressing moves.
"Really?... I mean.. it doesn't disturb you?? The sight of my arms...?"
The young woman looked away - she hated that cardigan and only kept it there, close to the door to be ready and 'invisible' enough if somebody comes.

National Acrobat

He thought she looked great, the jeans and t-shirt were a natural, comfortable look. It looked really good on her, natural for her. He smiled, stepping into the apartment and letting the door shut behind him, taking the cardigan from her. 'No, it doesn't disturb me. It's still you Imma, and that's all that really matters. You're here, with me, which is a good thing. I feel better already' he said to her. 'You didn't have to do all this, but it's very appreciated' he said, leaning over to put a kiss on her cheek.

Shia

Feeling that gentle touch of lips on her cheek, a man's lips -and it was the very first time since she opened her eyes after the drastic chain of surgeries-, Imma was smiling a bit sheepishly but her mood was definitely moved towards 'cheerful' and 'satisfied'.
"Well then..." She inhaled and the springtime tulip changed into a crab-red. "May I bring you something to drink?"
Caressing hair behind her ear nervously she walked into the small living room that was separated from kitchen by only a few light bamboo sliding walls.
"Truth is I don't have any alcoholic here because of my medication, but I can serve you orange or apple juice, mineral water, coke, coffee whatever.. Or I can order you some bear if you insist to make yourself numb tonight." Imma teased him gently and offered him a stool at the other side of the counter.
"Music? I have some fine country stored if you're not affraid to become home-sick." The woman stirred something on the cooker then turned back to him with a mischievous smile - scents were already promising and strongly reminded him of his favourite meal...

National Acrobat

He smiled. It was familiar and felt good to be here. He was suddenly very glad that his new assignment had brought them back to the same place. He didn't feel that any time had passed between them. It was as if things were as they were. She was physically different, but that didn't matter to his eyes. She still had the same laugh, the same voice, the same mind. He smile was still the smile he remembered. Yes, Imma was the same old Imma and it brought a smile to his face.

'No, I'll pass on the alcohol. Coke is fine. I mean, what's the point of getting numb? It really doesn't help anything.'

'Not afraid of being home sick at all, as long as you can stand the country music' he said with a grin, taking the offered seat. 'Something smells wonderful. I dare say, you're up to something, aren't you?' he said, giving her a wink.

Shia

"Perhaps yes, perhaps no!" She touched the tip of his nose with the clean end of the wooden spoon she used and with a smirk, then after a little struggle with the bottle and pouring out what he wished to have she handled him the glass.
"Just settle down on the blanket, I'll be right there.. Oh, feel free to use the cushions. It's more comfortable that way." Imma added once he walked away.
So this was how she spent her evenings: watching the wonders of the Universe, contemplating about her life... Never she appeared at the cantin, nor she was seen in the artificial park, a popular place for staff members to meet.
Soon some tearing-smiling country music was displayed softly in the background, like a 'thinking about you'-hug right from Texas, right from Planet Blue, evoking memories of rain and sunshine in their souls...
Imma joined him with her orange juice and a quick 'cheers'.
"To our weak points.. Remembering they only make us stronger."

National Acrobat

'I suspected as much, but I'll keep my nose out of the kitchen' he said, grinning. No sense in spoiling the surprise. Unless of course she wasn't up to anything, then it really wouldn't matter, now would it?

He took the offer glass, and bowed. 'Thank you much ma'am' he said. 'Cushions you say. Should I take my boots off? It won't offend you will it?' he said, moving over to find a place to set the glass down without spilling it. He took the boots off, figuring she wouldn't mind, and he got comfortable, leaning back on the cushions. He loved the view, the stars passing by and the twinkling lights in space. He found it to be comforting, soothing even. When she sat down he smiled. 'Cheers, and you are right' he said in regards to her toast.

'This is a fabulous place you have here. I love it. It is very welcoming' he added.

Shia

"The fact that you still have two handsome legs doesn't offend me at all." She lifted her glass to drink for his health with a playful smile. "Besides.. I don't wear shoes myself."
It seemed Imma's humour was one of her most unharmed parts.
Once she put aside the crystal cup she settled more comfortable herself, leaning her head against her palm, supporting herself with her elbow.
"Would you like to talk about it?.. I'm listening Rich, you can tell me anything."
Her strange "gaze" was piercing and reassuring at the same time - always the same pale blue, glowing with the same intensity.

National Acrobat

'Alright, point taken. I can take the boots off' he said, grinning. 'You're still a charmer Imma. Your humor is a very welcome thing. I have missed it dearly over the past couple of years' he said to her.

'I, well, I was scared today Imma. Scared. I saw the man die, after I couldn't save him, and I've never tried so hard in my life to save someone, to will something to work even though it wouldn't. I have to admit, although I was afraid to, that for once in my life, I was very, very afraid. Scared to death. How could I call myself a surgeon?' he said to her.

'And then, I realized, I had nothing to be scared of. At least not there. I think I was scared of something else. I was scared that you might think I was being kind to you, when I talk like nothing has changed between us. I realized, after seeing you again, that nothing has. You're still the same woman to me you always were. You always will be. All those feelings I had before, I still do have them, Imma' he said. He was being very honest with her. Her physical body did not turn him off like it might others. He knew her, who she was, what she was like, and it was all good to him.

Shia

She pressed her closed lips a little... that singly, tiny gesture telling about her nervously racing heart, cute and talkative.
"Now you scare me." Imma giggled softly, obviously not realising what he was just telling her, the full meaning, the whole weight of his words just didn't impact, only fragments provoking thoughts, somewhat.
It was the same just as her problem with clothing. She still could wear skirts, why not? And also those sleeveless tops - she just didn't believe she could still do that.
"All this time we spent apart I thought you have a girlfriend.. A fiance or.. already a wife. Two kids. Why don't you? There were plenty of nurses and doctors sticked to you, pretty ones, successful ones. What's the problem, Rich?"
It was weird, she mentioning problems in connection with him, while it was her life that's been teared apart, so cruelly and so painfully literally.

National Acrobat

'Me, scare you? Why?' he said to her, moving just a little closer to her. 'I certainly wouldn't want to scare you' he said to her, wonder in his eyes.

'I have not had a girlfriend, fiance, wife, any of that. I have often had one woman in my thoughts, and none compare to her. None have ever touched me here' he said, hand over heart 'like this woman does. I find myself comparing them all to her' he said.

Shia

Giving a soft caress to his hair again Imma smiled solacingly.
"But Rich.. Then why don't you just tell her?? You're gonna.. life's gonna just.. pass you by if you don't take a step and she doesn't even know it! Why are you here then? Why aren't you there, by her side??"
If she would have had eyes those would have been the most convincing, just like any time when she was talking about something important.
"Go ahead and live your story Rich.. She must be a very lucky girl, perhaps one day I'll meet her myself."
Again she took a sip from her glass - wishing it was alcohol that absorbs her bitterness...

National Acrobat

She didn't see it. How could she. She didn't view him that way. She doesn't see me like that he thought to himself. How could he tell her? If she didn't notice, then what was telling her going to do? It would set him up to be disappointed.

He looked at her. 'I tried to tell her, but she didn't see' he said to her, looking at her face, smiling at her.

Shia

"Then tell her again! Tell her in a different way! Hey, come on, use your brain Rich! I know you can do it..." Imma began to warm up and ready to fight for helping him and that unknown young lady - she could be a true warrior if the steak was high.
Patting his shoulder she jumped on her feet and run after her nose that signed her it was time to serve dinner...

National Acrobat

'Imma, it's you' he said as she got up to run off to the kitchen.

He was half-expecting her to turn on him, or to feint. He wasn't sure which, so he was ready to spring up.

'It's you. It always has been you. It always will be you' he said to her.

Shia

Whatever was being prepared on the cooker it started to get more than ready as Imma stayed motionless as a statue, staring at him... gathering strength to swallow... then to say something, anything.
Long moments tick-tacked away upon them as the two were standing, facing each other without those walls - they disappeared, maybe they've never erected there between them.
"I can't have a child..." This was all she muttered finally, squeezing her jeans like it was one of her old, long skirts, like she was the same frightened, long haired girl as she was once, on the first day of their lives as interns, at the gate of hell. "My love..."

National Acrobat

He looked at her, relieved that she didn't run away from him, or throw something at him.

He took a step closer to her. 'That doesn't change my opinion, or what I think or feel' he said to her.

He blushed when she uttered those last words. They were music to his ears. 'My love...that sounds so right' he said to her.

Shia

"Because I love you..." Her voice was still as quiet as a whisper and she was still affraid to touch him once their cards were revealed. "For ten years I've been loving you.. And I still do..."
Something turned on in the kitchen with a polite 'click' - the sensor above the cooker met the smoke and quit warming up their lost dinner.
Her eyes couldn't speak to him anymore but from many other sign Cody could be sure she was crying now.

National Acrobat

He didn't hear the click. He only heard her voice. He moved towards her, and embraced her in his arms. 'And I love you, Imma. I always have, and always will' he said, comforting her, holding her in his warmth. He held her close, savoring the touch. The contact.