Fire Emblem: Seal of Ruin (EX, Custom System, Still Recruiting!)

Started by Gensokian, April 13, 2011, 09:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gensokian

It was long believed that the shadows of old were locked away forever...
...except now, someone has found the key.

The continent of Gailus holds seven mighty countries: Bruthis, Lyre, Ischim, Tralis, Yumar, Orgoz, and Euphrim. Of the seven, Bruthis is by far the largest and the mightiest. It lies in the center of Gailus, and also controls much of the western territories, as well. It holds strong alliances with most of its neighbors, and maintains a peaceful lifestyle. King Hurmar rules Bruthis with a just mind and an iron fist. He knows when the law must be applied, but he is not about to oppress his people with it, no matter their race or income. It is this policy that makes him loved by both his subjects and the neighboring countries.

To the north of Bruthis lies Lyre, home to the descendants of ancient tribes that settled in its snowy mountains. Ruled by King Yetim, it fears no assaults from Bruthis, as its mountainous regions protect it from any army of any size. However, even without the mountains, Lyre still would have no fear of assault, as it holds a strong alliance with Bruthis, which has held for over three centuries. The two share both military might and trade supplies, so the two gain much through their alliance.

To the northeast of Bruthis lies Ischim, populated by the descendants of the ancient forest tribes. The citizens both respect and fear their King Gawain, as his rule has reigned much longer than King Hurmar, yet no one truly knows how old their king is, or how he has managed to hold his power. Some say he is a powerful sorcerer that has magic to keep his youth, while others say he is something that isn't human. However, throughout his rule, there have been no wars, so no one doubts his ability to lead his people.

To the east of Bruthis lies Tralis, the youngest of the seven countries. For many a century, no one thought that it could be possible to live in the harsh desert climate of the region, but Duke Tralis, former noble of the Beast Laguz circle of Bruthis, had managed to succeed in settling a village within the sandstorms, and soon, several people followed. Those who live there are now known as “sand people” by others, and they take their name proudly, Duke Tralis even referring to himself as “The Sand Beast”.

Southeast of Bruthis lies Yumar, a vast grassland home to many nomadic Dragon Laguz tribes. No one person holds total power in it, instead having each tribe have either a chieftain or counsel of elders. Each tribe is unique, yet each cooperate under several unwritten codes, and they battle only in competition.

Directly South of Bruthis lies Orgoz, home to many lakes and rivers, as well as the coast of the Nimen Sea. Thriving on its fish and boat trades, it is ruled by the three wealthiest merchant families. The three families consult with each other about new trade laws and taxes, and though they often choose to fill their own pockets before others, it is still a decent place to live, and no one truly lives in poverty.

Southwest of Bruthis, in the Nimen Sea, lies the Isles of Euphrim, populated mostly by those who belong to the various Bird tribes of Laguz. Actually three islands separated by miles of reefs, it is a tropical oasis that supplies much of the mainland with exotic fruits, vegetables, and other various foodstuff. Ruled by the fair Queen Vera, all are protected by the law, and from those who break them. Vera herself is known as a powerful Raven, and has often taken the battlefield herself in several of corsair raids on merchant ships, rending the vile pirates for threatening her subjects.

All seven countries have lived in relative peace, having only the occasional skirmish in border disputes that resolved quickly. However, all that could very well change...

It is the time of the yearly Continental Festival; citizens from each country come to feast, dance, and play with the entire continent. Each ruler of each country always attends, save Yumar, which has no actual ruler. They always come with a few soldiers for safety, but this year, King Gawain had brought almost half his army. No one had thought much of it, until he approached the castle walls, which were poorly defended due to the festival, and ordered his troops to invade, with no explanation behind it. Within a matter of hours, the castle was swarmed with Ischim soldiers. The king still on his throne, and his son, Roland, with him, all he can do now is wait...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
System Guidelines:

All characters from the start will begin at level 1. No characters will start promoted, so don't even think about it. The Lord class is off-limits, except to those I give permission to. Should you wish to be a Lord (a.k.a., main character), send me a PM before the game starts. All other base classes shall be available, though I do hope to see more than just spell casters; if variety seems to be an issue, I will assign classes to characters, should the need arise.

Just for niceties, here's a list of the classes you can choose from*:

Cavalier (sword/lance; horse mounted)
Sword Armor (sword/armored)
Lance Armor (lance/armored)
Axe Armor (axe/armor)
Soldier (will promote; not the GBA version) (lance)
Mercenary (sword)
Myrmidon (sword)
Thief (sword)
Fighter (axe)
Brigand (axe)
Pirate (axe)
Archer (bow)
Nomad (bow; horse mounted)
Priest (staff)
Cleric (staff)
Mage (nature)
Shaman (dark)
Monk (light)
Troubadour (staff; horse mounted)
Pegasus Knight (lance; flying)
Wyvern Rider (lance; flying)
Cat (claws; beast)
Tiger (fangs; beast)
Wolf (fangs; beast)
Raven (claws; bird)
Hawk (talons; bird)
Red Dragon (breath-physical; dragon)
White Dragon (breath-magic; dragon)
*note that these do not include the lord classes; if I decide you can be a lord class, I’ll PM you a special list for those

Each new character will be given 100 points to spend on stats. Each stat starts at 0, save HP, which starts at 20; the more points you invest into a stat, the higher it goes; shocking, I know, but I like to be original. Now, it costs a mere 1 point to raise a stat to 1; however, it costs another 2 points to raise a stat to 2, making a stat that has 2 points in it cost you 3 points in total. So, it costs 3 points to put in 2, 6 points to put in 3, 10 for 4, and so on. Spend them wisely.

Now, when a character levels up, naturally, stats should go up as well. However, this will be decided by a growth rate system; for each stat (HP, Str/Mag, Skill, Spd, Lck, Def, Res) you will roll a 10-sided die. Multiply what you roll by 10 to determine growth rate; for example, a roll of 6 will give that stat a growth rate of 60%.

I can already hear someone asking how you can use growth rates in an RP. Well, person I just made up, glad you asked. See, when you level up, for each stat, you will roll a 100-sided die. Should your roll be less than or equal to that stat's growth rate, it will go up; if it's higher than the rate, it stays the same. For example, say that HP for a character had 60%: if a roll yielded a 58, it goes up by 1. If the roll yielded a 78, it would stay the same.

For both the rate determination and the level up rolls, I will be a kind, loving GM and allow for a Mulligan; basically, if you don't like your roll, I'll let you have a second chance. However, you only get ONE extra roll per stat, and should it be worse than what your previous roll was, too bad, it's what you get.

Now, each new character will also roll for a starting weapon level for the weapon(s) their class uses; this will be done with a 5-sided die. Here are the ranks to the corresponding values:

1- E
2- D
3- C
4 – B
5 – A

Having a higher weapon level allows you to wield more powerful weapons, so either hope for a good roll, or practice one hell of a lot with that weapon. However, in the case of a Laguz class, they will start with an automatic A; no more, no less. With the Laguz, their weapon levels determine how much damage their natural weapon will add to their Str bonus, and instead of capping at S, they can go up to SS. However, don't expect that to happen quickly, unless you hog every single battle of every map.

Each starting character will also have a starting inventory; it will consist of the following:
Iron/Steel (if weapon level is higher than E; player’s choice) of their combat weapon (both a sword and lance in a cavalier’s case)
Either a vulnary, Olivi grass, Laguz stone, or lockpick (for thieves)

Now, let's talk about money; the entire party has a pool of gold that will be available to each member. However, each starting character will have gold they start with to contribute to the party. Each new character will roll a 10-sided die; multiply the roll by 1000, and that's the amount of gold you will give the party upon your arrival to the group.

Alright, now that we have that out of the way, let's talk about what happens on the maps, or battlefields. Each map will be made by me, and shall be provided before each “chapter”. These maps will include the following:

Enemy location (including a special symbol for the boss)
Terrain (plains, forests, mountains, cliffs, etc.)
Starting positions
Shops and Armories (should they be present)

These maps will be linked in the starting post of the thread, and shall be updated at the end of every phase; in other words, every Player Phase and every Enemy Phase, and every NPC phase if they're around. This might be quite a bit of work on my part, but I work hard for your chance to enjoy yourselves, dammit! Well, and myself, as of course I'll also be playing...

Now, here's how battle works; when you combat an enemy, several stats come into play; namely, all of them. However, I'll first explain how to determine how you'll hit an enemy or not.

Your percentage for Hit will come off of four things; your Skill stat, your weapon's Hit stat, your opponent's Spd stat, and your opponent's Lck stat. For each rank in skill, your base hit goes up by 5; so if you have 5 ranks in Skill, you have a base hit of 25. Your weapon's Hit gets added to that base hit; so if your weapon has a 90 hit, your total hit will be 115. Now, for each rank in Spd, you gain 2 to your base avoidance; so if you have 5 ranks in Spd, you have a base of 10 avoidance. For every rank you have in Lck, your avoidance also goes up by 1; so if you have 5 ranks in Lck, you'll have 15 total avoidance. However, your weapon's Weight also can be a factor; should its Weight exceed your Str/Mag, you'll suffer a Spd penalty based on the difference; like, say you have 5 Str, and your sword has 7 Weight, you'll suffer a -2 Spd.

Now that you know all that, let's say you have 95 Hit, and your opponent has 30 avoidance. For that battle, you'll have a Hit percentage of 65%. You remember that 100-sided die you rolled to figure out your growth rate percentage? You're using that again to see if you hit, in basically the same way. If you roll, in this case, a 65 or less, you'll hit your opponent. Should you roll more than 65, you'll miss.

Now, you'll also have a Crit chance, based on a few factors. First, your Skill stat; for every two ranks in skill, you gain a Crit bonus. So, if you still have those 5 ranks in Skill, you'll have a 2 in your Crit chance. Also, your weapon's Crit stat is added to your chance; so, if your weapon had a 30 Crit bonus, your total bonus is 32. Now, you'll reroll your 100-sided die to see if you dealt 3x the damage; same rules apply. I know it may seem silly to have to roll that die twice, but for potentially 3x the damage, I think it's a good idea to roll again.

For the more Fire Emblem savvy players, feel free to doze off during this part; this is mostly for those who are joining because they like the idea, though they know nothing of how FE works.

Now, I'll explain some of the more intricate parts of battle. Did you know it's possible to attack twice in the same round?! It's true! I'll tell you how it's done.

It's all about your Spd stat; if your rank in Spd is 4 or more ranks greater than your opponent's, you'll attack them twice in the same round! So, your opponent has 2 ranks in speed, and you have 7; you'll be attacking twice. However, should your opponent have the 7, and you have the 2, your opponent will be attacking you twice, so be careful if your character is a bit on the slow side.

Oh, and did you know that Lck is used for more than just helping your avoidance?! It can also help guard you from your opponent's Crits! For each rank in Lck, you also reduce your opponent's chance to Crit you by 1! So, if you have 5 ranks in Lck, and your opponent has a 7 chance to Crit, your opponent will have only a 2% chance to land a Crit! How...lucky.

Now, there are four basic weapon groups; swords, spears, axes, and bows. Swords are typically weaker than the others, but are usually reliable to hit with. Lances are a bit stronger, but a little be less reliable to hit. Axes are more powerful than lances, but even less likely to hit. However, bows are a bit like swords; not too powerful, but great to hit with, typically. However, bows are projectile only; you can't hit adjacent enemies with a bow.

Now, with swords, lances, and axes, there's a bit of a triangle; each one has a strength and a weakness against the other two. Here's the run-down:

Swords are strong against axes, but weak against lances.
Lances are strong against swords, but weak against axes.
Axes are strong against lances, but weak against swords.

Now, there's a bit of a difference to battle with an advantage or disadvantage. There's a 30% added to the Hit of the person with the advantage, and a 30% subtracted from the person with the disadvantage. In addition, there's an extra point of damage added to the person with the advantage, and a point of damage subtracted from the person with the disadvantage.

It sounds complicated, I know, but let's try an example:

A sword-wielder is facing an axe-wielder. The sword-wielder has a base of 65% Hit, 7 Power, and 0 Crit. The axe-wielder has a base of 55% Hit, 9 Power, and 4 Crit.

However, as the sword-wielder has an advantage over the axe-wielder, his new battle stats are 95%, 8 Power, but still 0 Crit. The axe-wielder, having the disadvantage, has new battle stats of 25% Hit, 8 Power, but still 4 Crit.

Hope that clears that up.

Now, there are also three core types of magic; Light, Dark, and Nature. Nature magic is split up into three groups, however; Wind, Fire, and Lightning. As with the swords, lances, and axes, there's a triangle with the magic, as well. Well, actually, there's two of them.

For the core magic groups, here's how it goes:

Light is strong against Dark, but weak against Nature.
Dark is strong against Nature, but weak against Light.
Nature is strong against Light, but weak against Dark.

However, within the three groups in Nature, there's another triangle.

Wind is strong against Fire, but weak against Lightning.
Fire is strong against Lightning, but weak against Wind.
Lightning is strong against Wind, but weak against Fire.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's talk about what goes on before the battles, hm? There's a lot that goes on here...yes, even that, you pervs.

First, let's talk about item management. You can trade with anyone in the party before the battle starts; just make sure the person you're trading with is willing to give you what you want from them.

Also, there's a merchant you can buy from all the time; however, he only sells your basic weapons and tomes; namely, iron weapons and the weakest tomes. However, if you're in need of emergency weapons, he's good to have around. You can also sell him your treasures and undesirable items to him, so he's good for acquiring funds before a possible shop or armory on a map.

This is also the place to select which units will be deployed. Though I doubt it'll be much of an issue here, should there be a surplus of characters, there will be a need to choose a certain number that goes into battle each chapter. We'll fight amongst ourselves who goes into battle should that happen.

Another feature that is present during this time is weapon repairs. Should you have a weapon that has only a few points in Endurance left, this is the time to save it. This service isn't free, however; it costs 100 gold per each point in Endurance that needs to be regained. So, a weapon that has only 1 Endurance point that has a max of 20 will cost the party's gold pool 1900.

And, yes, preferred weapons may be repaired, as well, and even for the same price.

Also, this is where you'll equip your skills for the chapter; skills are nifty little additions to your character that activate at certain times. I'll be sure to list the available skills each chapter, what they do, and how they're activated; sometimes it's a dice roll, sometimes it's constant, and sometimes it's circumstantial. Each character can equip up to three skills per chapter; once the map starts, you can't change them. Now, each promoted class will have a choice between three “elite” skills; however, they only get one per chapter, along with the three normal ones.

Lastly, this is where, by far, the most interaction will take place. On the battlefield, one needs to concentrate, though there will certainly be interaction there, as well, but before the battle, it would make sense for the party members to mingle and converse, no? And of course, this is Elliquiy, so, yes, there will be sex. Probably lots of sex...

Speaking of that, there'll be a bit of a rule on that on the battlefield. See, I understand that sometimes, nature calls, and two (or more) people must act like the animals they are and just go wild. However, the battlefield isn't the smartest place to do it. It can be done in this game, however, but there will be consequences to such an action. Should, for some reason, an enemy find the two (or more) people in the act, they gain an extra 30 to their Crit bonus, an automatic hit, and 100% armor penetration, as it's doubtful that there'll be any armor to get in the way.

So, practice safe sex, people; check the map every time.

FE veterans and FE newbies alike, all are welcome. I'm looking for a rather large group, so don't feel left out if you see a lot of joiners.

Creeper

I'd like to know plot details, what characters types are desired, and the system. Might be a good idea to put all that on the main page with spoiler tags instead of by pm.
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Silk

Yeah, extra plot would be nice rather than backstory.

pendarious

Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

Gensokian

Alright, as per request, a little extra plot was added, and underneath the spoiler tag is the lengthy system; for the Fire Emblem savvy, however, it won't take that long, as you can skip a decent portion of it.

pendarious

wow someone other than me actually looked up the stat system.......Ironically the RNG of the games works similarly to your dice system.......

hopefully the RNG in this game won't be nearly as hellish as in Thracia........
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

Gensokian

Heh, it's why I used that system for the RNG; made sense in my head, and still made sense on paper. ^^

And I hope that as well; still, it does come down to luck, so hope for some good rolls. ;)

pendarious

Kunoichi

Well, I'm certainly signing up for this.  I know almost nothing about Fire Emblem, though. ^^;

pendarious

a thought just struck me......are we using the two tier system or the three tier system?

Gensokian

Oh, just the two tier; one promotion. Might change my mind if this does turn into a rather long game; which I'm hoping for. ^^

Kunoichi

pendarious

Laguz don't promote. in fact rolling stats for laguz is harder because you have to roll double standards because their human form has a set of stats and then their transformed state has the base stats plus some

though i don't know how the gm plans to deal with that issue

Gensokian

Alright, with the Laguz, they'll not promote, but go up to lvl 40 instead. As for their stats, the base stats apply to their human half; in their transformed state, those stats double.

Kunoichi

Ah, I see...

*will probably need to get a bit of a walkthrough on how it works when the game starts*

I can still use that sprite I sent to you for the map, right? ^^;

Gensokian

Yes, yes you can. ^^

And don't worry about not knowing; there should be at least a couple of people that can help ya. ^^

Creeper

Is there a race list? Can we make up races?
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Gensokian

They're under the available classes, if you looked. Just going with the ones already made; cat, tiger, wolf, raven, hawk, red dragon, white dragon...a few others under the lord class, though. For the sake of making sure no one picks them by accident, though, I'm only sending those particular classes to those who wish to be a lord class.

Silk

Gensokian

Well, this'll be up for a while, so feel free to think about it. ^^

However, I'm having a bit more than a spot of trouble making maps for the game, so it might not have maps...still, even if it does come to that, I'll be able to figure something out; perhaps with the help of a few others. ^^;

Laughing Hyena

Are we commanders or soldiers in this game? I know Fire Emblem is about champions of a specific force and such but Im wondering if that will come to play.

Gensokian

Champions of a specific force...I...guess? Well, to answer your question, you'd be the soldiers. Your character will be of the class you choose, which are provided in the system rundown.

Silk

Might I suggest a program called RPG maker. during the construction it comes out with a pretty good scale and envioment design.

Heres a quick one I whipped up in a few mins

Orochimaru

I suppose of Penny boy and Lady Silk are here. I may as well give it a go.

pendarious

-_-' gees orochi.......why Penny Boy? you make me feel poor.....

anyway welcome aboard fellow nerd.