News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Kushiel

Started by HairyHeretic, March 14, 2007, 05:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

From chatting with a couple of people, it seems there would be interest in starting up a game based in the world of the novels Kushiels Dart and its sequels (whose names I can't remember, cos I'm still on book1 )

For those who don't know it, its a Rennaissance era world, based roughly on Europe, and from what I've seen so far, low magic, but a fair bit of intrigue and social goings on.

I can post more when I have more time about the world setting, but for those already familiar with it, would you be interested in playing? And what sort of game would you like ?

It will likely be a few weeks yet before we get round to setting anything in motion ... this is more to judge interest, and start talking through ideas.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Elandra

I would be interested the game, though I would like to play one in the world and not play the characters that exist in the novels, they can exist but I would want them to be a backdrop.

For the record, the title of the books by Jacqueline Carey:

First series about Phedre (Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, Kushiel's Avatar)
Second series about Imriel (Kushiel's Scion, Kushiel's Justice, unnamed as of yet)
~~~ ONs & OFFs ~~~ Requests ~~~

HairyHeretic

Yes, we'd be using the world, but not playing the characters.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MagicalPen

I've read the first book (two years ago) and am somewhere in the second book. Dont get to read nearly as much as i'd like, but i found the books to be rather intriguing. I'm usually not a fan of the point of view it was written in, but it works well for the series. So i would be interested.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Cherri Tart

i would deninately be intersested, and yes, i agree - i hate playing canon characters, so we should just use the world as a backdrop. :)
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

HairyHeretic

Cool. So, what kind of game would people like to see? Any particular time period, setting, character types, plots etc?

I just want to toss some ideas around, see what people are looking for at present, and see if we can craft something that everyone wants to play with :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cherri Tart

i'm kind of fond of all the intrigue from the book - i'd like to see at least some of that involved.

O/O, Cherri Flavored

HairyHeretic

I've been running the City of Lies for L5R the last 18 months or so .. intrigue I can do  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cherri Tart

lol - yes, where no one quite knows where they stand with everyone else... wheel and deal in PMs even, so that no one knows who to trust *Grin*

O/O, Cherri Flavored

HairyHeretic

Or if you feel you can keep IC and OOC knowledge separate, do it in open threads. That way everyone can enjoy the intrigue.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cherri Tart

Quote from: hairyheretic on March 14, 2007, 11:47:01 AM
Or if you feel you can keep IC and OOC knowledge separate, do it in open threads. That way everyone can enjoy the intrigue.

*smiles*  yes, this is true - and i can do that without problem

O/O, Cherri Flavored

HairyHeretic

I think most people can. Thankfully I've not had to deal with too many munchkins in my gaming that would try abusing IC/OOC.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MagicalPen

Intrigue is always a good idea. I imagine there ought to be some sort of political upheaval that throws things askew.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

HairyHeretic

You thinking at a local or national level?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Swedish Steel

Hmmm. I love intreague, but don't know the setting. Sounds a bit like A Game of Thrones though. Love those books.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

MagicalPen

Well, depends which city it takes place in. Not really sure, perhaps local level would be best otherwise its too cliche (Heir is dead, who will take his place?)

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

HairyHeretic

Well, if we go with the capital local and national events are fairly well entwined :) Plus there's plenty of opportunities for mischief  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NightBird

I have absolutely adored this series from the first book that came out, and I was thrilled that she went back to the setting after Godslayer and Banewreaker, which weren't nearly as powerful, IMHO. It's quite a bit different from A Game of Thrones, though, much more sybaritic and lush. Wikipedia has some great summary setting info, and this is a good page to start from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqueline_Carey

Personally, I avoid fanfic with canon characters like I would bird flu. We trespass on the borders of intellectual property using a setting created by an author who hasn't given permission for fan fiction or gaming, but I think taking over an author's characters is just... wrong. There are a lot of character possibilities, I'd think, in the City of Elua, between the Palace, the Night Court, and the city streets themselves. The fuller introduction to the Unseen Guild in the fourth book adds some cool potential, too.

What about the time part of the setting? Something older, well before the stories could be interesting. Maybe that with a focus on smaller events could keep it fresh. Something stolen or lost during the longest night, leading to blackmail, say, could lead to a group of friends trying to fix the situation.

Goblinmoon

oh blast!!

I had just promised myself that I wouldn't join anymore games!  This is one of my fav series! I agree with NB that in scale its similar to the Cycle of fire and Ice books from GRRM, but I honestly feel after reading Scion that JC has managed to keep more consistent quality to the books than he has.

I was lucky enough to have lunch with her and while she personally doesn't have any problems with fanfic etc, she's been told by her publishers to not come out and say sure!  lol of course she didn't say don't do it either.  Actually using the world is copyright infringement technically too since she did create the world, but that sort of things is kind of just out there nowadays. 

I'd be all about intrigue as well, but intrigue on all levels, personal, family wise, national wise, but that might be harder to pull off in this scale.

HairyHeretic

Given that we're not trying to profit off her world, I can't see her setting the lawyers on us  :)

National intrigue does make for a good story arc, but I suppose it depends on how structured people want things to be. I've run book campaigns with firmly defined plots, and I've run player driven ones, where I'm about 2 steps ahead of the PCs and scribbling fast  ;D Actually thats not quite true ... I rarely write anything down in that style, I just wing it.

I think to start with, city wide intrigue is probably going to be enough to keep people occupied. Politcal maneuvering between individuals, houses, guilds, factions or what have you. The social combat of the word softly whispered behind a languid fan, with perhaps occasional more direct activities.

For a kick off ... perhaps the big midwinter festival? Thats an excuse for people to mingle, attend gala events, etc etc

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Question the second ... what kind of characters would people like to play. No sense coming up with a detailed elaborate setting if the players have something entirely different in mind :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NightBird

I'm thinking an adept of either Valerian or Eglantine, leaning a bit more to the former.

Seereous

Great series.  I've read every book in the original trilogy twice and Kushiel's Scion once.  Great series.  Oooops...said that already.  I'm actually surprised that this game hasn't found it's way here before now. *shrugs* Oh well.

Given how some like to be tied up, etc, etc....my one piece of advice would be don't go overboard with the number of anguisettes.  *shrugs*  Then again I'm not the one running the game. *smiles* Just a humble suggestion.

While I thoroughly enjoyed reading these books, I'm afraid that I'm a bit too vanilla for such a world.  I know that the book had people of every orientation and taste, and I would love to play in the setting, but I don't think that I would do it justice.  Never know, I may try and give it a shot anyway.

Cherri Tart

and on that note, i would love to play an anguisettes - hmm.. not sure if that would be considered role playing or not... *wink*

O/O, Cherri Flavored

HairyHeretic

I've an idea for a disgraced Cassiline.

Cattle die, kinsmen die