INTEREST CHECK - Academy-style game with body-swapping twist

Started by Lynnette, March 30, 2015, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnette

Do note that this is just an early edit and more will come once I have more definite facts laying around. Some things might get changed around completely by the time the actual game thread is up, but for now, take what is presented and base yourself off of that.

I had this idea earlier today. I’m ploying around with the idea of body-swapping. The idea of one’s personality and mind being transferred over to another person and coping with the drama it creates. I can’t say much more than such, but it’ll largely be a character-driven academy game with a body-transfer twist. Most of the time it’ll play as per usual, but occasionally one or several pairs of characters will hop around between the other characters’ family situation, social situations and the list goes on. It has a lot of potential that could be used.

Of course, it’ll demand a fair bit of communication between players, which I’m sure we can work out.

As far as how swappers are picked, it’ll be mostly determined by dice-roll, or by an existing deal with me as the GM allowing it. Things like such would be mostly for things like character arcs, since there will be little to no overlapping story. Other than that, it’ll be at random, at the mercy of RNG-Jesus.

To answer some of the questions I’m expecting, I’ll list up some below so that you can hopefully have your questions answered, and if you don’t, then by all means ask :)

What kind of characters can I play?
It is currently not decided if non-swappers and faculty (Swapping or non-swapping) will be permitted, but for now, if you’re interested in any of such, state it.

I’m not comfortable with playing characters of the opposite gender, can I still play?
Of course, I’ll add a part of the application that allows you to state if you have any problems with changing bodies with the opposite gender. Do note that until further notice, non-swappers are not confirmed to be a playing part of the game.

Do you have a specific picture-type preference?
Yes. While I understand that some might not like it, but personally I prefer to not have actual models etc. participating as it unsettles me a bit. Anime/CGI only please.

Will there be an application?
Yes, there will. It’ll be added whenever I have garnished enough interest to go through with this.

Where will this be taking place?
While still undecided for now, it’ll likely be an academy-style game.

Will there be room for sex?
Of course, and you don’t have to worry about suddenly getting interrupted by a swap unless you want to, I’ll make a whitelist.

What is it you hope to achieve?
I want to put an extra twist on your A-typical drama games/shows by adding this kind of twist, changing the dynamic of such a story completely.

RECRUITMENT THREAD IS UP - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=226648.msg11123669#msg11123669
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

AidenWhite

My Request Thread + info about me!
My O/O's ~ AidenWhite O/Os - UPDATED: 08/01/2024 (dd/mm/yyyy)
My availability for One on One's (Solos): Available! PM at your own risk.

Lynnette

Quote from: AidenWhite on March 30, 2015, 01:09:20 PM
I am interested in this plot. Count me in!

Quote from: Starcry on March 30, 2015, 01:56:23 PM
Noting interest. :)

Thanks to the both of you, I'm hoping to get a few more people in though, the real fun is when there are plenty to jump between :)
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Rel Mayer

SargentToughie

This could be interesting, if it gets a few more people... Sure, why not?
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Lynnette

Quote from: Rel Mayer on March 30, 2015, 09:05:46 PM
Stating my interest!

Quote from: Idlewyld on March 30, 2015, 09:11:07 PM
I'll keep my eye on this one.

Quote from: SargentToughie on March 30, 2015, 09:09:47 PM
This could be interesting, if it gets a few more people... Sure, why not?

I'm happy to hear people are interested, and I hope more people show up as well, the more the merrier :D I think this is enough to start working on a recruitment thread, but I do hope more people show up.
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Rune

towerhouse

-TH

On/Offs

Lynnette

Quote from: Rune on March 31, 2015, 08:49:26 AM
Mark me down as interested as well!

Quote from: towerhouse on March 31, 2015, 10:06:33 AM
Sounds like fun.

Welcome aboard, both of you :)

Also, as an extra notion, welcome to E Towerhouse, feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions :)
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Haibane

Interested (since you're running it!) but my participation will depend a lot on my current bumpy life and moods... and availability... and... you know the rest. Its a very curious and interesting premise. I'd certainly be up for some gender swap.

Some immediate rambling thoughts in no particular order that have just come splurging out...

Had you given any thought yet to what is causing these personality/mind jumps? Is there some magical/supernatural power around? Some evil baddie? Is this an alternate universe? A secret government programme perhaps designed for military infiltration/spying ops? Something else?

If its all a dastardly plot are the students selected for any particular affinity to whatever the plot is? Or are they unwitting victims?

Following on from that, apart from the mind swaps is this a 'normal' academy or is it built around whatever this experiment or effect is?

If we go with anime pics/CGI artwork is there any other Japanese based theme or are you simply wanting artwork character pics for personal reasons? If not set in japan where is the setting please?

If, for example, a female character's mind gets moved to a male body she (now he) will presumably still retain her (now his) sexual orientation thus giving rise to possible homosexual scenes. Will the game therefore be LGBT friendly?

Age range of students?

Sci-fi or contemporary or any other time setting?

Okay, that's quite enough idea splurging for now. Sorry if I exploded any plot bunnies for you, I can cause a mess when I get going.

Lynnette

Quote from: Haibane on March 31, 2015, 04:46:42 PM
Interested (since you're running it!) but my participation will depend a lot on my current bumpy life and moods... and availability... and... you know the rest. Its a very curious and interesting premise. I'd certainly be up for some gender swap.

D'aww <3 And it's fine, just make sure to let people know that your road is a bit bumpy if you decide to join when the full recruitment thread is up :)

Some immediate rambling thoughts in no particular order that have just come splurging out...

No order?! D: What kind of anarchistic tactic is this...

Had you given any thought yet to what is causing these personality/mind jumps? Is there some magical/supernatural power around? Some evil baddie? Is this an alternate universe? A secret government programme perhaps designed for military infiltration/spying ops? Something else?

I'm still pending. As of now, I'm basing a lot of my ideas from the anime Kokoro Connect, it's what gave me the idea of running a game like this in the first place. This game will however not have any direct relationship to the anime, so if you, or anyone else for that sake, haven't seen it, it won't make much of a difference.

The anime used a bored god, and it worked out quite well. Found itself a host if it needed to communicate with the participants in the mind-jumping and all that. I'll consider alternatives though, but for a game like this, where only a limited amount of people (Aka. Personal characters) are affected by the swaps, it's a bit hard to justify with anything but the supernatural. I'll have more details on it whenever the recruitment thread is up, but I'm afraid that's the most clear response I have at this point.

If its all a dastardly plot are the students selected for any particular affinity to whatever the plot is? Or are they unwitting victims?

Once again, referring to the anime. I'm only using very-early information that you could guess already during the first episode, but the participants were chosen simply because they were considered more interesting than the other possible participants. I'd likely run it by a similar model. Other than that, it's depending on who is hosting the games (Supernatural being, evil project etc.).

Following on from that, apart from the mind swaps is this a 'normal' academy or is it built around whatever this experiment or effect is?

It'll very likely be a normal academy since the rest of the world would be unknowing. If I go by the supernatural model, it might even be so that the other students (The non-swapping ones) can't be convinced no matter how hard one tries.

If we go with anime pics/CGI artwork is there any other Japanese based theme or are you simply wanting artwork character pics for personal reasons? If not set in japan where is the setting please?

If I set it in Japan (Which I likely will) it'll most likely use honorifics (Which I'll include a small guide for how to appropriately use) but nothing further than that. the main reason I want anime-pictures is like I mentioned a slight discomfort to using actual models.

If, for example, a female character's mind gets moved to a male body she (now he) will presumably still retain her (now his) sexual orientation thus giving rise to possible homosexual scenes. Will the game therefore be LGBT friendly?

Yes, it's a full-mind transfer, so sexual preferences would follow along and it is one of the things people would have to accept about this whole ordeal, that their character might be used for LGBT-related activity. But then again, it's the mental that counts, so having a character proceeding to have sex with someone who would not normally be within your sexual comfort scene would not mean that the character in quest- This became very complicated very quickly... Hmm... If someone was having homosexual activity in my character's body, it wouldn't mean that I'm having homosexual sex since I'm busy being somewhere else in someone else's body. Does that make sense? <3

Age range of students?

Likely 16-18, with faculty (if I find room for it) at 21+.

Sci-fi or contemporary or any other time setting?

Very high probability for contemporary.

Okay, that's quite enough idea splurging for now. Sorry if I exploded any plot bunnies for you, I can cause a mess when I get going.

xD Don't worry don't worry, no question's too stupid, ask away :)
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Haibane

Thankyou, this is sounding more promising now. I need to go catch that anime, never heard of it before.

Lynnette

Quote from: Haibane on March 31, 2015, 05:29:57 PM
Thankyou, this is sounding more promising now. I need to go catch that anime, never heard of it before.

It's a fun watch, I'd deem it worth the time :)
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

GiftsUngiven

Apologies and Absences

On indefinite hiatus.

Yukina

I'm interested. It'd be interesting to have one of my meek females be transferred to the body of a taller/more athletic body or a one of a total bombshell. :) Also, nice to see another watcher of Kokoro Connect. :)

towerhouse

It might be interesting if two people who are already a couple switch sex roles.
-TH

On/Offs

Rune

I would like to play a young handsome teacher that has the reputation of being extra hard on the more empty headed girls in his class. He has an open door policy for any student wanting to stay after class for extra credit. Rumors abound regarding what happens during these study sessions.

I would like for him to learn just how difficult the students have it.

towerhouse

Quote from: Haibane on April 01, 2015, 03:05:19 AM
Yes that would be fun.

That would be interesting if a female character is swapped into a male body.  Would the new man prefer other men or would he prefer his previous boyfriend who is transferred to a female body.   This would make for some interesting story-telling. 
-TH

On/Offs

Lynnette

The recruitment thread is currently being finalized and I'm hoping that I'll be able to post it not too far into the future.
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Lynnette

Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Haibane

One thing I notice about this premise is usually when in a school setting your character only interacts 90% of the time with students in the same year. Having a school-based RP open to characters in all 3 years might usually fragment the game into separate social groups who rarely mesh, but with this premise of minds swapping to other bodies, we'll get a 16 year-old in the body of an 18 year-old and vice-versa. Or a 30+ year old teacher in the body of a 16 year old! It should be really fun and it should bring the students from different academic years into social contact with each other.

One thing you mentioned Reaper was that people who are not swapped cannot discover what is going on... but can those swapped? Can we start a sideplot where some of the victims discuss this craziness and think there may be a cause... and set off on an investigation of the puzzle?

Lynnette

Quote from: Haibane on April 02, 2015, 08:13:08 AM
One thing I notice about this premise is usually when in a school setting your character only interacts 90% of the time with students in the same year. Having a school-based RP open to characters in all 3 years might usually fragment the game into separate social groups who rarely mesh, but with this premise of minds swapping to other bodies, we'll get a 16 year-old in the body of an 18 year-old and vice-versa. Or a 30+ year old teacher in the body of a 16 year old! It should be really fun and it should bring the students from different academic years into social contact with each other.

One thing you mentioned Reaper was that people who are not swapped cannot discover what is going on... but can those swapped? Can we start a sideplot where some of the victims discuss this craziness and think there may be a cause... and set off on an investigation of the puzzle?

I'm considering things to counter this fragmenting to happen at the moment, it'll likely be through the means of making a bizarre club that extremely few would ever be interested in joining, take Saori from Discipline's Bible Study Group as an example.

hmm... Well, thing is, when you're swapped, you kind of know that you are. Those not involved won't be able to comprehend it for the sake of comedy. And when I say not swapped, I mean those not involved in the swappings. Aka. even if I'm not swapped at the moment, I'll still understand the whole swapping ordeal.
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread