Free Love in the British Empire (All Welcome - Recruiting)

Started by Montagne, April 12, 2013, 07:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montagne

Free Love in the British Empire

Britain of the 1870s is nearing the height of Queen Victoria's reign. Britain has powered its way through the industrial revolution, building itself the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. The Raj has been established, China bested, and the first expansions into Africa are beginning. Back home society is changing, sexuality is becoming more repressed as eyes turn towards "saving" those who are promiscuous or engage in prostitution. The trials of homosexuals are on the rise, a puritanical spirit spreading across the city. In the backdrop to all this revolutionary ideas are fermenting. Marx writes in his London offices, while another, different movement is also forming. The "Free Love" movement. A group that rejects the common morality. This is their story.

The "Free Love" Movement was a short lived movement that rose up around the end of the 1800s, that stressed a number of concepts based around promoting, love based relationships. It saw men and women as equals, encouraging liaisons outside of marriage based upon mutual love and romance. It accepted bigamy, polyamory and homosexuality, despite societal norms. It never really grew from its infancy or caught on, its greatest effects were probably seen in St. Petersburg but it had some effect on European society. This RP will be set in a fictional semi-realistic Victorian setting, and follow the people involved in the is movement, centering around their playground, "The Castello"

The Castello

The Castello is a hotel named by its patrons for its location on the corner of Castle Road, Dover. Dover is England's largest trading port, bringing in the the fineries of a hundred nations, back to the seat of power. sitting in the south, Dover escapes much of the rain and chill of the region, and with the large shipyards and docks employing most of the people there, it escapes much of the infamous gloomy smog of London. The Castello Rises up 6 stories, a giant for the period and sprawls outwards to cover a large section of the sea front at the edge of the city, giving its patrons a lovely view of the ships, along with the much needed privacy they desire.

The Castello provides all a patron could ever need, it is a restaurant, a hotel, a bar... and a brothel. The Castello is a bourgeoisie playground, where the aristocracy and the new emerging enlightened middle class mingle together in a tantric land of sexual pleasure. The Castello's owner is a member of the movement, and has built up the brothel to serve those within it. It specializes in two things exotic beauty, and extreme sexuality. Victorian England is a place where even the thought of oral sex would be enough to shame one from a community. In this backdrop, The Castello promotes a realm of domination and submission and pleasure fulfillment. Inside its walls nothing is off limits, and people are encouraged to give into their baser desires. It also brings beauties from across the empire. The owner is known for his work as an artist, and chooses his workers for their most striking characteristics, many coming from exotic lands to the east, as well as ethereally beautiful men and women of the homeland.

What Is The Game About

In short, an exploration of sexuality in a realm where everything is forbidden. Following the lives of the men and women as they escape away from society and build their own community within the walls of The Castello. The troubles they face and the relationships formed between them. How do the men and women survive in their world away from the commune, do they submit to the cultural norms, or fight to change them. Are they revolutionaries or jaded cynics. Some other fun themes to explore would be the addictiveness of hedonism, and how women react to the society where they are finally free from the social morays of Victorian England.

What do i mean be "semi-realistic" The setting does some strong bending of history for the story. The Free Love movement, whilst followed by quite a few famous revolutionary authors of the period, was, for the whole part, not part of victorian society. As far as we know (or atleast to my knowledge) there was no equivalent place to The Castello. This is an important consideration for the setting and characters being created. The world I wish to portray in this RP is not one of a historical Victorian period, but rather one viewed through an authors lens, to create something much more closely resembling the works of Oscar Wilde than a perfect historical narrative. The important thing with these settings is "authenticity" rather than realism. It should feel real to all those reading, even if perhaps X piece of architecture is out by ten years, or Y dress is from the 1880s rather than the 1870s. This will allow for a compelling story, without everyone needing to have majored in history to enjoy themselves. it is the feel and themes of the period that are the most important to capture.

Character Ideas: So, who would be part of this sort of movement? Historically, it covered both the young and the old, but of course had a special appeal to those in their teens and twenties, when people would be most hungry to push back against society and believe in such idealistic propositions. The fire of passionate love burning the strongest. Some obvious influences for characters could be the students in Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. There's also the characters of Oscar Wildes "A Picture of Dorian Gray" Older members might be more radical aristocrats, both men, and the early feminists and romantics of the period like Mary Shelley. We want our revolutionaries, our radicals and our old guard, these new emerging philosophies shaped the people of the time.

What sort of characters do we need:

The Aristocrats: both male and female, can be old or young, the old money enlightened elites of society.
The Students: Radicals, Young, usually male. Young men influenced by both their own lust, and their idealism or nihilism.
The New Rich: Those who have become rich through the rise of industrialization and trade, go-getters, men and women of families who built it for themselves. Often looked down upon by the Aristocrats.
The Staff: The Castello needs staff, and the brothel needs workers. Both men and women serve the sexual needs of the new visitors.

So, will your character be an old jaded aristocrat, with The Castello sinces is formation, a young new student brought to this place by friends looking for and adventure, or an exotic beauty from the east, coming to england in search of a new start inside The Castello's walls? When you create your characters be sure to answer three important questions. What made them come to the Castello, What made them believe such a thing, and why do they stay.

Plans for the game are to begin with a masquerade ball, allowing all the characters to meet and interact. (The owner having an obsession with enlightenment culture). From there will be a number of plot threads, and the interpersonal dramas that will hopefully play out.

I'll also be looking for one or two people to co-GM with me, as this will hopefully be a relatively large game.

So, everyone who's interested, post a character below!

Free Love in the British Empire Character Sheet

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Played by:[/b]
[b]Nationality:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Eyes:[/b]
[b]Hair:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]

[b]Likes/Turn ons:[/b]
[b]Dislikes/Turn offs:[/b]

[b]Role/Archetype:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Background/History:[/b]
[b]Additional Character Info:[/b]

The IC and the OOC are currently active but we're always looking for new people. Anyone wanting to take a read can find it below!

IC

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=173953.0

And the OOC

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=173954.0

Montagne

Accepted Characters:

Males:

Name: Louis Gabriel Maxwell
Played by: Atlas
Nationality: British
Sexuality: Bisexual

Role/Archetype: Master of the Castello

Name: William Firestone
Played by: Napanee
Sexuality: Bi-curious

Role/Archetype: Nouveau Riche

Name: André Toussaint
Played by: BlackestKnight
Nationality: Haiti (born in france)
Sexuality: Straight - open minded

Role/Archetype: Brothel Musician  - Reefer Man

Name: Alistair Pembroke
Played by: Madmartigan
Nationality: English
Sexuality: Bisexual (untested)

Role/Archetype: The Innocent Idealist

Name:    Akira Tetsou
Played by:    Hellis
Nationality:    Japanese
Sexuality: Pansexual

Role/Archetype: Androgynous oriental young man and enterteiner.

Name: Known as Jacob Hayes...real name Daniel Smyth-Holt
Played by: Eiselmann
Nationality: English
Sexuality: Hetero

Role/Archetype: Staff/ Switch

Females:

Name:Lucretia Rosalyn Maxwell
Played by: DarkRose15

Role/Archetype:Aristocratic student

Name: Lorelei Sinnett
Played by: Jane Storm
Nationality:French
Sexuality: Hetero
role/archetype:

Name: Anne Cooper
Played by:bubby
Nationality: American
Sexuality:Hetero

Name: Xia Yongwei
Played by: ReaperDouble0
Nationality: Chinese

Name: Victoria Hale
Played by: ReaperDouble0

Name: Capricia Donati
Played by: Laura Haddock (writer: Sexy Firefly)
Nationality: Florentine

Role/Archetype: Florentine Courtesan (Castello Staff)

Name: Evie Alesi
Real Name (Unknown to Most): Evelyn Danilo
Played by: AmberStarfire
Nationality: Italian

Name:   Aisha Patel
Played by:   Kajirakate
Nationality:   Indian or Anglo-Indian
Sexuality:  Bisexual

Role/Archetype:  exotic Eastern seductress, compliant to the demands of her partners

Vassus

Well, I'm interested! I'm pretty busy at the moment, but I hope to be able to get a character in, possibly tomorrow at the earliest.
E-Mail: radically.irrelevant@gmail.com

Did you know: "polish" is a word that completely changes it's meaning when you capitalize the first letter?

Sephiriel

Hello and color me interested.
Some questions before I submit a character:

About how many players would you like to have?

At the masquerade ball are some of the characters likely to know eachother beforehand or even know the owner?

Will there also be group activities such as playing cards or other ways of entertainment (theater plays, professional musicians etc)?

DarkRose15

Of course you've gotten me interested and depending on the responsibilities I could possibly be interested in co-gming. Either way I will work on my character. If allowed I make make two :)
Den of DarkRose: Ideas & Completed Games
Apologies & Absences *Updated 10/4/16*

Friends help you move; Real friends help you move the body.
Carl: Shh....do you hear that? That is the sound of forgiveness!
Paul: That's the sound of people drowning Carl!
Carl: That...is what forgiveness sounds like! Screaming then silence!

Montagne

Hey Vassus and DR! Great to have you on board again.

Feel free to play up to two characters if you feel you can manage both and reply reasonably frequently. I'll put a hard limit at 2 as things just tend to get jumbled after that.

Quote from: Jane Storm on April 14, 2013, 06:02:02 PM
Hello and color me interested.
Some questions before I submit a character:

About how many players would you like to have?

At the masquerade ball are some of the characters likely to know eachother beforehand or even know the owner?

Will there also be group activities such as playing cards or other ways of entertainment (theater plays, professional musicians etc)?

Hey Jane Storm. Glad I grabbed your interest. On your questions.

I would like a relatively large group, to give a varied group of characters, with a reasonable limit so it doesn't become just a mess of non connected stories. (I know that's not quite a number ;) ) but expect somewhere on the medium to large size. So any friends interested be sure to invite them!

As for the masquerade ball. The society will have been in formation for a number of years. The ball allows new members who may have shy ed away from attending to do so in secret. However, most of the people there will know each other and I would encourage players OOC to work out previous relationships before hand. As for the party. There will be musicians, dancing, drinking, certainly games and gambling, and of course opiates. (Hey, its the 1800s :P )

Hellis

I am incredibly intrigued. I feel I have a character for this in the back of my mind.

Wargtass

Might have time for this. I'll be back at the end of the day with a definitive answer.
O/O

Lockepick

I'm interested, got a partial idea running in the back of my head: Somebody trying to expose the organization and ends up getting sucked in. Like a reporter who sneaks in, ends up going 'too deep' and learns to love the life style.

I'll offer the same apprehension I give for any group game: I'm a gay male looking for other gay men. I'm always worried I'll end up joining a game and there won't be any other gay men characters.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Sephiriel

Thank you Sir Atlas, that was most helpful. I shall have a character up by the end of the week.

Montagne

Quote from: lockepick on April 15, 2013, 09:14:19 AM
I'm interested, got a partial idea running in the back of my head: Somebody trying to expose the organization and ends up getting sucked in. Like a reporter who sneaks in, ends up going 'too deep' and learns to love the life style.

I'll offer the same apprehension I give for any group game: I'm a gay male looking for other gay men. I'm always worried I'll end up joining a game and there won't be any other gay men characters.

That sounds very fun, and I'll be playing a bi male. You know my type :P But I know its always a problem with group games. This game will be completely LGBTQ friendly so anyone you think might enjoy the setting send them a PM. The more variety in the sexuality of characters the better :) and I know it would be nice to have the maximum number of people to interact with as possible.

Hellis

Quote from: Atlas on April 15, 2013, 04:35:42 PM
That sounds very fun, and I'll be playing a bi male. You know my type :P But I know its always a problem with group games. This game will be completely LGBTQ friendly so anyone you think might enjoy the setting send them a PM. The more variety in the sexuality of characters the better :) and I know it would be nice to have the maximum number of people to interact with as possible.

as a fellow who is playing a Bi male aswell, I think you are safe Lock.

Wargtass

Well now that I count it, there is potential for doing dirty deeds between men all over this. Myself included. Rather refreshing actually, although not to insult our female players...  ::)
O/O

Love And Submission

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Montagne

An idea of what I'm going for with the character sheet. (1st draft I'm going to massively edit soon because its a horrible jumbly mess of writing, but it's 230AM so time for me to sleep! ;D)

Name: Louis Gabriel Maxwell
Played by: Atlas
Eyes: Light Tan/Brown
Hair: Sandy Brown
Height: 5'11

Likes/Turn ons: "Corrupting" the innocent. Women who speak their minds. Taboos. Human sculptures. Anarchists. Spanking. BDSM. Sadism. Someone with a good story. Music. Dancing. Parlour games. Exotic women. Seductive semi-consensual.
Dislikes/Turn offs: "Conventional Morality". The status-quo. Scat. Forceful Rape.

Role/Archetype: Master of the Castello

Personality: Louis is a man of few words. He enjoys listening to stories, and it was this part of his personality that had him create the Castello. He enjoys watching events unfold before him, particularly in a domain he knows he controls. While still young, he sees himself as a father figure to many of the younger members of the society, and acts as such. An ardent Anarchist, nothing excites him more than breaking the taboos society sets for him; he takes an active relish in doing so. A seductive air of mystery surrounds him, a circle of close admirers, his "inner circle" both men and women are his regular lovers, although he regularly seduces members of the society.

Background/History: Louis was born at the beginning of the 1840s. A grandson of a merchant captain in the East India Company. His grandfather had rose through the ranks from a lowly officer to a person of importance in Calcutta. From there, his son; Louis' father was able to use his position to amass relative wealth, commanding a small fleet of vessels, trading spices up and down the coast of India and China. Louis' father returned to England and married Louis' mother, settling down and founding a family with their newly gained wealth.

Louis was the fourth and youngest son of the family. As was regular of the age, his oldest brother inherited the estate and the family wealth, the second and third son helped their father run the business, which left the youngest son to go and make a name for himself. He took the small inheritance he gained upon turning of age and bought himself a commission in the East India Company, spending seven years in the east trying to make a name for himself. Something made Louis turn back and return to London. He dislikes speaking of that portion of his life, and when asked he is cryptic at best, but people can assume whatever it was that made him make the change, it wasn't good. Being a man of relative wealth, he continued his education as he traveled on the trading vessels, such that once he returned he was as well read as any London intellectual.

He landed in England with his own small fortune, the seas had been kind to him, and there had been a number of new conquests that had brought him (and the crown) back enough to sit comfortably for the rest of his days. However, Louis did not desire comfort. He was engaged in several scandalous relationships upon his return to London that shamed his family, and when his father arranged a bride for him he refused out of hand. He angrily shunned aristocratic dinners (whilst bedding their daughters) until he could take London life no more. He would build his own home, where people like him could be. He would build... The Castello.

I took another 3 years to finish, opening a month after his 30th birthday. Since then, he has amassed those who believe in Free Love and human freedom as he does to his domain, calling to them like a beacon in the dark. His family has renounced him, and he no longer cares. Philistines, the lot of them. His whole life is now dedicated to providing a home for outcasts such as himself. He watches over The Castello like a loving father, protective of its patrons.

Additional Character Info:

Madriv

Truly a brilliant setting. I can't commit to another group game right now but honestly... this one is at the top of my wish list.

DarkRose15

The post she is fin!

Name:Lucretia Rosalyn Maxwell
Played by: DarkRose15
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Height: 5'8"

Likes/Turn ons:Kissing, Romantic seduction, Spanking, Biting, Oral, Reading, Exploring Sensuality, Pushing boundaries, Being tied up, Threesomes, Breasts, Being Dominated, Being on Display, Nibbling/Biting, Watching intimate acts of pleasure, Masturbation
Dislikes/Turn offs: Excessive cruelty, Rape, Being forced to conform, Men or Women who cannot take charge, Anything that belongs in the toilet

Role/Archetype:Aristocratic student
Personality: Fiesty but sweet, Stubborn, Proud
Background/History: Lucretia (Her preference is to be called Lucy) is the niece of the Master of the Castello, and her more lusty nature is slowly coming forward. Always precocious child, she displayed from an early age a love of pushing the boundaries set in place. Conforming was simply not an option for her, she wanted what she wanted and she would always find a way to get it. Suffice to say, her parents certainly had a handful in their lovely but somewhat headstrong child. Even at a young age she knew she was different and learned of her more carnal interests through romance novels she would sneak in with her historical and educational books. She found herself wanting to feel the same passions as the women in the prose she read, and she would make it happen by any means necessary. As a young woman she began to feel the yearnings of any young girl, and rather than being prim and proper, she wanted to go out and experiment for herself. She was caught by her parents kissing a boy she fancied and was promptly punished for it. Since then she's wanted to go further, to find out what it is that the world finds so shameful. To feel desire that burns her to her core.

She has always been close to her Uncle Louis, and as she grew into womanhood began to flirt a bit more openly with him. She began to fall in love with him as a young girl, admiring his ability to go forth and do as he pleased. She vowed one day to become his, even as the rest of her family cast him aside as a black sheep. She was no fool, she knew what her Uncle enjoyed and wanted to participate. The few times when he'd visited and gone off to satisfy his lust, she too had snuck off. She was never sure if he knew she was watching from the shadows, but even if he knew she found that the notion excited her even more.

When Lucy learned of the Castello through whispered rumors, she made it her business to find a way to go. The matter is even more important to her, for her parents are at present away and have plans to arrange her marriage to a man of their choosing. She'd fought in earnest, but she was not heard. She made it a point from that moment on that if she was to be forced into a marriage she did not want, she would enjoy and satisfy as much of her desires beforehand. She still seeks to either destroy the chances of being married off, or perhaps seek to tempt her future husband to join her in her lustful escapades. It is her ultimate goal to belong to and submit to her Uncle, and she has no qualms continuing to belong to him and outright telling her husband if she must. As many who know Lucy would say, she might behave an innocent when she would rather play the whore!
Additional Character Info: Lucy often shocks people when she does opt to discuss her desires openly. She acts and behaves very sweetly most of the time, but do not cross her. If you speak ill of her Uncle, it will cause her opinion of you to become far lower. She sees her Uncle as a light in the dark for the sexual explorers seeking refuge, and admires him greatly for it.

kajirakate

Name:   Aisha Patel
Played by:   Kajirakate
Nationality:   Indian or Anglo-Indian
Eyes:  Brown
Hair:  Black
Height:  5'6
Sexuality:  Bisexual

Likes/Turn ons:  dominant partners, rough sex, breasts, facials
Dislikes/Turn offs: rape, scat, pee, blood

Role/Archetype:  exotic Eastern seductress, compliant to the demands of her partners

Personality:  Aisha is submissive sexually but she is a hunter for a chance to further her position, she is full of guile and desire for the finest things in life as well as enjoying sexual freedom

Background/History:  Born in Calcutta, to an Indian mother who was a prostitute in a high class brothel that catered for Officers of the East India Company, British Army and British Officers attached to Indian Army Units and reputedly a highly place English father, within the Colonial administration.  She was brought up by her mother in the upper class brothel in a very good district of Calcutta. 

Her upbringing in such an environment gave her a very open minded view of sex and sexuality. Her mother raised her to use her wits and her beauty to achieve whatever she wanted in a world where the powerful have everything and the weak have nothing.  She learnt English as well as Hindi and Bengali, was taught arithmetic, history especially of the British in India.  Her mother ensured that Aisha was not actually raised to be a whore, as her mother had progressed to being the Madame of the establishment. In addition to her academic study Aisha became a keen student of the Karma Sutra, and was a skilled dancer in both Indian and Western styles. In addition to her sexual skills, she is also well as being exceptionally flexible, due to years and years of yoga training. 

She was sent to school in England at the age of 14, with a view to going to university however she became the object of affection of a member of parliament, when 17, but that ended when he could not accept that she was a person in need of expressing her sexuality, and not be the limited plaything of one man, no matter how powerful.  She found her way to Louis and the Castello, which is the perfect location for a sexual being like Aisha, with no one judging her, but instead revelling as she does in the sensual pleasure.  The Castello is the perfect location for Aisha to express her wide ranging sexuality, as well as being an environment not too dissimilar to her childhood home.

kk

Montagne

Lovely start points Kajirakate and DR, can't wait to see how the characters finish up ;D

Montagne

Hey Jane. She's a lovely character, happy to approve it. (love the story of the relationship between her and her brother.)

minimum preferred will be 3-4 paragraphs, with no maximum. preferred posting frequency will be 2+ times a week, but feel free to post more frequently if the story really captures you :) Would you be playing her brother as more of a side character, or would you like two main player characters?

Sephiriel

Thank you Atlas, she was on my mind for quite some time, just didn't get the opportunity to play her in a victorian setting. Gaillard will be more likely a side character, I may not have the time to play him in a more complex way. There might be times he will take the "main stage" especially if there will be any ladies he's interested in.

Montagne

Quote from: Jane Storm on April 16, 2013, 04:04:46 PM
Thank you Atlas, she was on my mind for quite some time, just didn't get the opportunity to play her in a victorian setting. Gaillard will be more likely a side character, I may not have the time to play him in a more complex way. There might be times he will take the "main stage" especially if there will be any ladies he's interested in.

Thats what I was imagining you were going for, sure thats fine. How long has she been at the castello, or will she be arriving as the story begins? If so has Gaillard been in contact with Louis? How did he find out about the Castello? how does he feel about taking his sister to such a place (tell me more about that I know there is a bit in your history section), and what does she feel about leaving home?

Sephiriel

Since I like the idea of the game beginning with a masquerade ball and because I want to describe my character’s first impressions of the Castello and its inhabitants, I’ll go with their arrival taking place no more than a day or two before the ball. Obviously excited at first by the whole thing, Gaillard might come to realize that the Castello isn’t really the proper place for his sister – he might even regret his decision, but by the time it happens, it’s already too late, both being more or less taken by the flow and the “magic” of the place. 

Coming all the way from France and living for a short while in Britain before moving to the Castello, it’s likely improbable for Gaillard to have a real idea of what the movement and the place are really like. All he knows is what he read in the papers (scandalous and flamboyant, just the type of fun he’s looking for) or what some of his new friends related. On the other hand, if you find it more suitable, we could say that he and Louis met at a party beforehand or through some other means and became relatively close (Gaillard just might like his anarchist side) so he couldn’t simply refuse Louis’ invitation.

As for Lorelei, she’s more or less determined to stay more than a couple of days. She views this as a trip, a vacation of some sort, an eccentric experiment of her brother that could benefit her writing career. She’ll be fairly busy adapting to life in Britain and then to life in the Castello, pursuing her own interest at the same time.   

DarkRose15

All done Atlas! Lemme know if you want me to change anything or what not :)

RipTide

I am also quite interested! This sort of story is right up my alley. I'm thinking a young lady from a 'New Rich' family who is curious, but does not know entirely how she feels about the idea of free love so decides to explore it in secret.

Posting Rate = 1-2 posts/story/week

What Does a Siren Crave? === What Does a Siren Prefer?