Shadowrun (4th Edition)

Started by ZK, February 19, 2006, 08:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZK

I don't know about that, I wasn't planning on using the Mafia as a part of the first chronicle.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Creeper

The mafia don't have to have any real influence on the story, and Jimmy fingers is unlikely to bring Lorenzo in on his shadowruns unless he really needs to.
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

ZK

I'd still prefer the characters to have no tie to organized crime and be a group of Shadowrunners instead of having "ties" to elsewhere that will occupy them.

Just to keep cohesion to the plot and keep the people together on a main.

You can have the Mafia as a Contact and do jobs like that when we have the time to do "non important" "storyline" time.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Creeper

kylie

Okay, I downloaded the character program and it looks rather nice.  It's been ages since I played this game, though.

Can someone give me an idea of what are weak, typical, and exceptional attributes? 
(Is it still like 2, 4, 6 and are there minimums and maximums fixed for starting characters?)

(Reedit after previous confusion.)  I take it the 400 points are the sum of all the stuff on the bottom left?

I don't see where to buy lifestyles on the form.  -- Scratch that, I found it buried under Equipment. 

I'll probably make some sort of merc.  I never did learn the mechanics for much else, but shooters often seem to have something to do, even if it is just playing lookout or pack mule.  (Snorts in advance at obligatory incoming pony jokes.) 

And just because it seems a little wacko to make a female elf merc in this game system, I'm tempted...  Not a tank.  More a flexible, light infantry type.  Perhaps a sniper, if any of those rifles are even available?

Jefepato

3 is human average, 6 is still normal human maximum (which is why it's so expensive).

And although I still think elves are a little overpriced for what they get, at least they're useful now that Agility figures directly into your chances of shooting someone.

By the way, I can't find anywhere in the book what the maximum Availability on a starting character's items is.  ZK?  Anyone?

kylie

Heh. What do elves get again exactly?  I just remember funky night vision, and the apparent attribute boosts.

The form gives a figure for maximum item availability, I think mine was around 10.  I'm not sure whether it's linked to Lifestyle or not...    Do we need to roll for starting funds, or will you give us a fixed amount for each lifestyle?

So, now I'm thinking medical student turned militant animal rights / general anti-corporate activist mercenary.  Somewhere between  radical saboteur-assassinr and once spoiled, seductive faerie chic.  And a passable medic, by the way.  So people with more body points have to take care of me ;)         

Celestial Goblin

My char is ready, soon sent. I'd just let you know i'm good at pistols, stealth, lockpicks, security and demolition. I'm a saboteur infiltrator, and i'm also an elf. I could still reconsider if someone else wants to take this role, though.

Celestial Goblin

Change of plans, i'm going orc and i leave the infiltrator stuff to you. I'll protect you Kylie and all that:)
Jefe, your troll is, i understand a 'sammie'?

Jefepato

Yes, a sammy -- that is, a street samurai.  Or in more common gamer parlance, a brick/meatshield/guy everyone stands behind when bullets fly.

kylie

Fyi, I may have suggested too much about saboteur sort of stuff.  Not so much background there, yet.  More medical, related sciences, and rifle practice.

ZK

Once I'm done rolling the basic premise of storylines and other things.

There will be only one real house rule.

Your main profession is a Shadowrunner and you have no ties (aside from Contacts) with any organized crime syndicate, organization and such.

There will be two types of Missions.

Critical Missions that continue the ongoing plot and regular submissions (some randomly generated) for people to gain experience and "nice gear" to fence or keep.

Now, the submissions can tie in to the main storyline, but not in a strong significant way.

Only real thing is. Critical Missions will be in fact harder then regular submissions, unless of course the team wants to do a SR Mission (Suicide Run).

Closer chance of being killed, arrested or worse...but a bigger payday.

ZK

To clarify it all.

In Critical Missions you're more then likely to run into Prime Runners. In Sub-Missions, the chance is drastically lowered to near nigh improbable.

Critical Missions follow the overall storyline, but isn't always "in your face" type action. Sub-Missions do involve storylines as well, just minor compaired to the Critical ones and it gives a chance for the PCs to use their contacts. ^^

Natalie C. Barney

I'll need help with my character I'll be going for the fast and agile monofilament whipmistress, maybe sneaky a bit and looks alot less dangerous han she is.

I was thinking NO cybernetics either or very minimal like a nightsight eye or something.

Any suggest race for her that would help. I played the original game a long time ago just don't have the rules.

Do they have any feat like things to help her with her weapon I want to max her out but might want her to use a pistol as a backup.

Hope I'm not a pain?
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Jefepato

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on February 22, 2006, 06:19:06 PM
I was thinking NO cybernetics either or very minimal like a nightsight eye or something.

This is probably the wrong way to be thinking.

You don't need to be cybered to the max, but if you're not magically active at all, a no-cyber policy isn't going to do you any favors in serious combat.  If you feel it's important to your concept to avoid invasive surgery, maybe you should be an adept.  Adepts are quite good at not looking as dangerous as they are.

I recommend either human or elf for your race.

ZK

For a new player at start to fourth edition. I suggestion human. Since they get more Edge (think of "special go juice when the going gets tough) then any other race and you get more Build Points to work with.

Zakharra

This sounds somewhat interesting, butn I've never played Shadowrun before. Only Cyberpunk, so I don't know how to make a Shadowrun character.

Vice

Quote from: Jefepato on February 22, 2006, 09:20:06 AM
3 is human average, 6 is still normal human maximum (which is why it's so expensive).

And although I still think elves are a little overpriced for what they get, at least they're useful now that Agility figures directly into your chances of shooting someone.

By the way, I can't find anywhere in the book what the maximum Availability on a starting character's items is.  ZK?  Anyone?

All of that stuff is in the char gen chapter. Max Availablility for starting characters is 12. Max rating for equipment is 6.

Vice

Quote from: Jefepato on February 22, 2006, 06:26:10 PM
This is probably the wrong way to be thinking.

You don't need to be cybered to the max, but if you're not magically active at all, a no-cyber policy isn't going to do you any favors in serious combat.  If you feel it's important to your concept to avoid invasive surgery, maybe you should be an adept.  Adepts are quite good at not looking as dangerous as they are.

I recommend either human or elf for your race.

Kinda depends on the concept...hackers can go pretty light on cyber with the new system. Just one datajack and you're cool...everything else is equipment. Or you could go bioware for your intitiative enhancers instead of doing wired reflexes...with the new system, Smartguns don't seem like quite as much of a requirement as they were before.

On another note, I never understood why anyone would buy cyberlimbs at character generation...it's a waste of cash and essence for a melee fighter. You're better off spending that money on muscle replacement and a set of retractable spurs and/or some decent bone lacing. I'm a big fan of bone lacing.

ZK

They can get anything they want.

There is such a thing as "comsetics" and storyline.

What about they lost a limb and had it replaced due to an accident or faulty Shadowrun?

It's all about having fun and making it more real.

Not munchkin out your character to the max.

kylie

Quote from: Z.K. on February 23, 2006, 02:23:18 AM

What about they lost a limb and had it replaced due to an accident or faulty Shadowrun?

Are you saying we can pick up whatever seems to fit the character??

As it is, I don't see a way to afford both a sniper rifle and serious cybernetics, unless I forego a whole bunch of handy miscellaneous gear.  The character background here is more academic than toughie, although she has seen some low-level raids on lab kennels , related corps and the like.  I wouldn't mind a reasonably blank check or happy medium, though ;)

Just checking to make sure I understand this right, before I stretch the usual Middle class budget cap a tad for cyber.

Oh yes: what sort of cyber eyes can elves use, or how do these interact with their typical vision abilities?

ZK

Quote from: Vice on February 23, 2006, 02:12:58 AM
All of that stuff is in the char gen chapter. Max Availablility for starting characters is 12. Max rating for equipment is 6.

As what Vice said. That is the limitations you have.

Starting characters, whatever you can get as a starting character is fine.

GoldenChild

Natalie C. Barney

Quote from: Zakharra on February 22, 2006, 10:39:38 PM
This sounds somewhat interesting, butn I've never played Shadowrun before. Only Cyberpunk, so I don't know how to make a Shadowrun character.

Join the club.  ???

I might go for more cyberware maybe enhanced reflexes and such she's not going to be using hevy weapons and the like, if you saw Underworld that battle near the end where that vampire used two whipps at once that would be so cool two monofilament whips. But I think one will be afer if she fumbled too much.  ;)

And I need help doing a character seriously not just pointers I  have no idea where to start and maximize her concept.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Creeper

Quote from: Z.K. on February 23, 2006, 02:23:18 AM

Not to mention Cyberlimbs are teh hawt!

What? They are!