The Doves' Talons (Star Wars FFG) [Closed]

Started by TheFourthShade, March 15, 2018, 07:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcanist

Damien Wall - Soldier
Background: Damien was born in Theed on a fine winter's day. The runt of the family, he was quite small, frequently falling ill and kept mainly to himself. He did not have many friends except for a girl called Rabme. Their parents thought it was very cute, especially when they "married" at aged 6. They stuck together like glue. Fortunately or Unfortunately, depending who you were, their friendship was an on and off thing as Rabme often travelled with her family. However, they lost contact after the Theed Massacre. Managing to escape the planet, they found themselves refugees to Alderaan.

Continuing his studies, he excelled in sports. He surprised everyone when he joined the Alderaanian Armed Forces after college, especially because of his disposition towards being by himself. He gone through basic military training when his talent with a rifle shone, winning a number of awards. Posted to sniper school, Damien found his calling. Patriotic, loyal to the cause he followed his own code of honor. Used to working alone with the Alderaanian Sniper-Scouts, he is surprised to receive summons from his superior officers for a new posting.

BR 3         AG 4         IN 2        CU 2         WI 2        PR 2
Soak: 4 (3)   Wounds: 13   Strain: 12   Defence: 0R/0M

Skills:                               
Astrogation (Int)             N           Brawl (Br)                        C
Athletics (Br)                  C  -           Gunnery (Ag)                N
Charm (Pr)                     N           Melee (Br)                        C - *
Coercion (Will)                N -        Ranged – Light (Ag)          C - **
Computers (Int)              N           Ranged - Heavy (Ag)        C - **
Cool (Pr)                        C - *       Knowlege - Warfare (Int)  C
Coordination (Ag)            N           Core Worlds (Int)             N
Deception (Cun)              N           Education (Int)                N
Discipline (Will)               N - *       Lore (Int)                        N
Leadership (Pr)               N -          Outer Rim (Int)               N
Mechanics (Int)               N            Underworld (Int)              N
Medicine (Int)                 C            Xenology (Int)                 N
Negotiation (Pr)               N           Perception (Cun)              C - *
Piloting – Planetary (Ag)   N           Piloting – Space (Ag)        N
Resilience (Br)                 N -         Skulduggery (Cun)           N
Stealth (Ag)                     N - *      Streetwise (Cun)             N
Survival (Cun)                 C - *       Vigilance (Will)                N

Talents
Deadly Accuracy - Ranged (Heavy) Add 3 to damage to one hit of successful attack

Duty:
Counter-Intelligence

Motivation:
Honor

Equipment
Slugthower Rifle Czerka Arms Adventurer 250
Combat Knife                                             5
Heavy Clothing                                         50
Comlink                                                   25
Stimpack                                                  25
Macrobinoculars                                        75
Extra Reload                                             25
Utility Belt                                                25
Field Ration Packs x 5                                25

72 Credits

Starting Duty: 0
Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

clonkertink

Vo-Cador

No art, because I couldn't find a non-Plo-Koon Kel Dor I liked.

Species: Kel-Dor
Career/Spec: Consular/Arbiter (Disciples of Harmony)
Morality: Discipline/Arrogance
Motivation: Become a Jedi.

Vo-Cador was raised, like many force-sensitive children, in the Jedi Temple. Indeed, he was largely considered a shoe-in for Padawan when the time came, as he was a diligent and disciplined student, and a way with words. And yet when the time came, the Jedi Council decreed that it was the "Will of the Force" that Vo remain a novice for the time being. And Vo accepted the Council's wisdom. The next year, the Council once again decreed that, by the Will of the Force, Vo not rise to the rank of Padawan at this time. And Vo again accepted the Council's wisdom, though he began to question. In the third year, the Council decreed that Vo would not study under a Master. And Vo began to doubt the council's Wisdom in earnest.

It was in this third year that Senator Organa came to Vo. He required a "Negotiator who could handle himself in dangerous situations." However, this would require Vo to leave the Jedi order, as this work was to be conducted in utmost secrecy. Vo agreed to this quickly, feeling he had little left to learn in the archives of the temple, and doubtful that the Masters would ever make him a Padawan.

Vo still believes he is worthy of being a Jedi, but that he will never achieve that rank as part of the official Order. Instead, he will go out into the Galaxy, eager to learn, and when the time is right he shall knight himself. In a way, he views himself as Senator Organa's Padawan.

While Vo is typically very reserved and disciplined, he still holds resentment towards the Jedi Order for holding him back, particularly those students who were elevated to Padawan ahead of him (almost always, in his mind, lesser students than he ever was).

Ghostly

I had a Nagai scoundrel back in the day, I'd love a chance to play him again. You can always use a good conman.
Perhaps he knows Viera?

Guancyto

Bare-bones, flying the flag

Shash Hui
Trandoshan Colonist Doctor

BR 3         AG 2         IN 4        CU 2         WI 2        PR 2
Soak: (4)   Wounds: 15   Strain: 12   Defence: 0R/0M

Skills:   

Astrogation (Int)NBrawl (Br) N
Athletics (Br)N    Gunnery (Ag)N   
Charm (Pr)C    Melee (Br)N   
Coercion (Will)N    Ranged – Light (Ag)N   
Computers (Int)N    Ranged - Heavy (Ag) N   
Cool (Pr)C   
Coordination (Ag) N    Core Worlds (Int) C1   
Deception (Cun)C    Education (Int)C1
Discipline (Will)N    Lore (Int) C1
Leadership (Pr)C    Outer Rim (Int) N
Mechanics (Int)N    Underworld (Int)N
Medicine (Int) C1   Xenology (Int)N
Negotiation (Pr)C    Perception (Cun) N
Piloting – Planetary (Ag)N    Piloting – Space (Ag)N
Resilience (Br)C1   Skulduggery (Cun) N
Stealth (Ag) N    Streetwise (Cun)  C1
Survival (Cun)N    Vigilance (Will)N

Talents
Surgeon 1 - When making a Medicine check to help a character heal wounds, the target heals 1 additional wound per rank of Surgeon.
Grit 1 - Gain +1 Strain threshold.

Duty:
Support 0

Motivation:
Redemption

Equipment
Heavy Clothing (+1 Soak)
Slugthrower Pistol (Damage 4, Range Short, Crit 5)
Emergency Medpac
Handheld Commlink
Breath Mask
Hand Scanner
4x Stimpack

TheFourthShade

Character ideas or finished sheets received so far:

Shash hui, Trandoshan who knows more than just first aid -Guancyto
Vo-Cador, Kel Dor who wants to be a Jedi - Clonkertink
Damien Wall, Human Merc - Arcanist
Laeli, Miralian Guardian - Shadowfox89
Viera Kilvaari, Marshall - PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric

I know we're not finished on character design or writing yet, but I'm just trying to note everyone down.   If I missed someone or something, please inform me. I just had my coffee at the time of this post.

clonkertink

You missed PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric’s character, Viera Kilvaari.

TheFourthShade

Annaamarth

I may be interested with either a Hired Gun/Demolitionist (Survivor of the Theed massacre who wants to stop ALL of the war machines), a Colonist/Politico or an Explorer/Big-game hunter (both of those cases would be a minor member of a noble house of the outer rim fighting against militant imperialism and rabid plutocracy).

Depends on the sort of game 4th wants to run.  If you're thinking a mostly black-ops sabotagy game, demolitionist hands down, but if you're looking for ways to politically defuse things, I'm seeing a lack of "face power" in the group (aside from the Marshall, of course).
Ons/Offs

My sins are pride, wrath and lust.

TheFourthShade

I'm keeping an open mind but it definitely could develop either way, since how the players approach problems would influence what kind of operations are suited to them, as well.

That said, 'face power' could be useful no matter which way you guys end up going.   Charisma is useful whether you're trying to get into a dinner party or to convince guards that there really isn't anything worth investigating in the back of your speeder.

Annaamarth

So, to rebuild and rephrase the list as I've seen so far, including skill highlights that jump out at me...

Trandoshan DOC/Lore/Core/Edu/(way minor brawler)
Kel-Dor NEGOTIATOR/EDUCATED/sabre
Human COMBATMONKEY/planetary pilot/intimidator
Human GUNSLINGER/Charmer (lore/underworld/skulldug/street)
Mirialan something-something-jedi-something maybe?
Nagai scoundrel (presumably skullduggerous things) maybe?

... Nobody's flying the damn ship. We have plenty of intimidation factor, and the Marshall can lay on a fair bit of charm, while Mr. Wall is, in fact, intimidating.  There's also plenty of incidental a-point-here-and-a-point-there, but I don't see anyone flying the damn ship.  I also don't see a lot of Outer Rim knowledge, but for the missions I expect we'll be undertaking, I think Core and Underworld are going to be more important anyway.

But someone has to fly the damn ship, so I think that encourages me to go a certain direction (as much as I really wanted to do the mad bomber of Naboo, and I like this character idea too).

I'll post a human big-game hunter (Explorer type from EotE suppement Far Horizons) sometime in the next day or so, unless someone else decides they really want to build a pilot superfast.
Ons/Offs

TheFourthShade

The Mirialan Jedi is a tank (or is going to be one), if I recall correctly.  Player talks a lot in our group chat about tankiness and becoming a front line combatant.

That's a very good point.  Helps to have someone fly the ship, or at least someone who can pretend that they're good at it to give you guys confidence in difficult moments.  Beats the hell out of paying someone to do it for you.

Then again, if no one wants to make a pilot, surely one could be provided for you...but that would probably reduce the amount of ridiculous flying related stuff you could get away with.

Tradeoffs, tradeoffs.

Annaamarth

Having a droid handle astrogation I'm okay with. Not having a PC to provide reliable hot exfil makes me nervous.
Ons/Offs

TheFourthShade

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

ReijiTabibito

Is there room for another player on this one, or no?  I recently got into FFG and have an idea for a pilot-type character, which seems to be missing ATM.

(At least, assuming you don't mind dredging up past history...)

TheFourthShade

It's not first come, first serve here, but yeah we are at the point where someone's going to be left on the cutting room floor.

Feel free to submit your character when it's ready.

Annaamarth

Rabme Sedila, Human Explorer/Big-Game Hunter from Naboo
  - Pilot, companion, charmer and safari leader!
  - Educated and erudite!  Friendly and flirtatious! Dashing and daring!
  - Accept no substitutes for your adventures!
  - Newly edited and corrected for the timeline!

Rabme Sedila was a native of Theed who had grown up exploring the swamps and forests of the world with her academic parents.  She grew up displaced and often homeless, but always on an adventure- frequently even venturing offworld on expeditions, where she would travel with her family to explore the ruins of ancient civilizations or the jungles and deserts of strange worlds.  Occasionally, her family would be "between trips" and she would spend a time in "normal" school, generally bored.  She did, however, enjoy the opportunity to regale her schoolmates with stories of faraway places- but when she was thirteen, the Trade Federation blockaded Naboo.  Her family were fortunate enough to have fled from Theed and hid in the swamps of Naboo when the blockade turned into an invasion, but after the Massacre, nothing was the same.  Nothing was organized, nobody knew where anyone was, and there were few options.  Rough living, homelessness and transience were nothing new for Rabme- and the food shortages and fear came to an end with the arrival of Alderaanian aid.

It took time, but a semblance of normalcy was had again... but not on Naboo.  Rabme's family found new contracts, new expeditions and surveys, and never returned to Naboo.  They couldn't find academic contracts, but they were able to get work on the rim regardless- survey work for corporate groups, mining guilds, and -when the opportunities arose- the odd xenological survey. For years, they roamed the Outer Rim, until finally restoring their connection to academia- and then, Rabme had her own chance to head an expedition.  She jumped at the chance.

She spent years on university grants exploring the dangerous wilds of Tatooine, Dagobah, Felucia, and other worlds, photographing (and occasionally even hunting) the local wildlife.  She thrived on the adrenaline of the adventure, and supplemented her income with... questionably legal side contracts on behalf of outside entities.  She improved her income (and a hedonistic lifestyle) in this way until her career was disgraced when it was discovered that she had taken one such job on behalf of a hutt to bring down a Wampa (either to have stuffed or to eat, presumably the former as the Wampa was dead on delivery).

But she kept her ear to the ground, and she never stopped paying attention to home, and when she heard about the massacre of Republic ships, she knew she could hear the drumbeats of war on the horizon.  She wouldn't return to Naboo- it wasn't home anymore- but she wasted no time in making her way to a stronghold of the peacemaker's faction- Alderaan.  She knew that the inevitable wars approaching would signal the death knell of all of the freedoms and values that Alderaanians- and Nabooans- held dear unless the tide could be turned.

When she arrived on Alderaan, it was through luck, or the will of the Force, that she met Senator Bail Organa...

Rabme
BR 2    AG 4    IN 2    CU 2    WI 2    PR 3
Soak: 3(2)   Wounds: 12   Strain: 13   Defence: 0R/0M

Astrogation (Int)          C           Brawl (Br)             N
Athletics (Br)             N           Gunnery (Ag)           N
Charm (Pr)                 N - *       Melee (Br)             N
Coercion (Will)            N           Ranged – Light (Ag)    N
Computers (Int)            N           Ranged - Heavy (Ag)    C - *
Cool (Pr)                  C - *
Coordination (Ag)          N - +       Core Worlds (Int)      N
Deception (Cun)            N           Education (Int)        N - *
Discipline (Will)          N           Lore (Int)             C
Leadership (Pr)            N           Outer Rim (Int)        C
Mechanics (Int)            N           Underworld (Int)       N
Medicine (Int)             N           Xenology (Int)         C - *
Negotiation (Pr)           N
Perception (Cun)           C - *
Piloting – Planetary (Ag)  N
Piloting – Space (Ag)      C - *
Resilience (Br)            N
Skulduggery (Cun)          N
Stealth (Ag)               C - **+
Streetwise (Cun)           N
Survival (Cun)             C
Vigilance (Will)           N

Talents
Stalker 1: +1 Boost die to Stealth and Coordination tests
Outdoorsman 1: -1 Setback die from checks to move through terrain or manage environmental effects.  Decrease overland travel times by half.

Duty

Motivation - Adrenaline Junky - She grew up with ruins and jungles and wilderness and exploration, not schoolyards and structure.

Equipment
Model 57 "Homesteader" Rifle
Czerka arms "detonator" rounds
A/KT Tracker utility vest
Heavy Clothing
Holopicter (as electrobinoculars)
4x ration packs
3x chance cubes

92Cr

Sheet assumes Big Game hunter (Enter the Unknown) and Model 57 slugthrower (Savage Spirits) is acceptable and a starting Duty of 5.

Other notes: It is possible that Rabme brought a noble on safari, or possibly rescued a crashlanded slicer from dangerous wilderness in the past, or even spent a year around another native of Naboo when she was growing up.

500Cr does not get a ship, but neither does any other starting budget.  Shade, might I have a ship? Also, I increased Obligation for +5xp (because at 5 starting that's all you can do is +5), but I can shift that as required.  I don't have Age of Rebellion- does it still add on?

PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric- It is possible that your world was one I made a stopover at.  Did I make a scene?  Rabme generally has no problems with law enforcement, it's just that she doesn't always check to make sure that the people interested in her aren't already life-bonded to other partners first...

Arcanist- Did you ever pull a bodyguard job for someone I took on safari?  Did I ever meet you portside?

Guancyto- Did we ever cross paths?  Did I ever come to you for medical care after being injured by some beast or another (or a jealous wife)?

Edit: I have PMs out to Ghostly and AnnieSatin, so I may be able to tie into lots of different people's backgrounds lots of different ways.  AnnieSatin and I have started collaborating, but I don't think either one will require the other.

Edit2: Corrected overexpenditure (reduced Heavy Ranged 3->2) and reallocated that xp (Cool 1->2, Forager talent)

Edit3: Rebuilt and reallocated resources.
Ons/Offs

TheFourthShade

The group can have a ship if they pick that option (it really makes the most sense to pick that option).  Mind you, makes the game a bit more dicey if you guys don't have a ship, but you could always steal one.

Arcanist

Quote from: Annaamarth on April 07, 2018, 12:52:11 AM
Arcanist- Did you ever pull a bodyguard job for someone I took on safari?  Did I ever meet you portside?

Can be arranged. Would have done a few gigs
Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

TheFourthShade

I'm closing this to new interest.  I'm a little surprised we've gotten so many, though I look forward to seeing everyone's finished character ideas.

Annaamarth

So for the ship discussion (for people to start thinking about).  Rabme's an explorer, not a smuggler, so most of the freighters aren't quite her gig- to heavy to run, fuel inefficient, and worst of all- slow.  The ships that most grab her attention in the same price range as a Wayfarer transport (or cheaper) are all Corellian manufactured-  The YV-560 survey ship (Enter the Unknown page 66), the fast HWK-1000 (Fly Casual page 59), or possibly an old (and cheap) YT-1000 (Enter the Unknown page 64) outfitted with a faster hyperdrive and an onboard amenities unit (adding some flavor in exchange for the inferiority of the ship compared to the YT-1300)

Of those, my favorite is the HWK-1000- it's a fast, maneuverable unarmed freighter, with a limited cargo capacity.  Rabme doesn't have gunnery, and that's an excellent explorer ship.  They next on the list is the YV-560, since it has an advanced sensor suite array usable for surveying worlds... that could probably be turned into a decent surveillance package by a decent slicer.

Now, I know the default options are the Warfarer (SLOW trader ship, not an explorer), the Firespray (pew pew pew oh wait I don't do that), and the YT-1300 (in case I wanted to rip off Han Solo, which I don't).  Of those, my favorite choice would be... I dunno, could I lose the weapons on the Firespray for Onboard Amenities and a Class 1 Hyperdrive?

What are the odds of having an NPC astrogation/repair droid on board? R3-K1(T) could be "Wreckit."  Not vital- just a thought!

In other news, I corrected an error in my character build- I had too much heavy ranged skill!  S'okay though- now I can keep a cooler head and can forage more effectively.  Turns out that Rabme makes an excellent wilderness guide, in case that ever comes up!
Ons/Offs

clonkertink

I'd rather we not go unarmed. We are deniable assets. Besides, Damien has Gunner, so the weapons won't be entirely useless. Personally, I like the looks of YV-560. It just feels like the sort of civilian vessel that might get commandeered for covert operations.

TheFourthShade

Some warning that I probably should have given sooner.  I will be going on vacation on the 13th and will not be back until the 19th (and probably won't be posting fit until the 20th).  I would like everyone to finish their characters this week (next week at the latest), and I hope to select the final group from them then.

I will have internet while I'm gone but I'll be with friends so I'll probably not have time for much more than quick posts.

Annaamarth

No problem.  I just realized today that I have some timeline inconsistencies that I need to resolve, currently working with Arcanist on that too.  If anyone else has any thoughts or wants to work on background things (even if there is no connection to Rabme), feel free to let me know here or PM.

Also, as I understand it:

Timeline

~10 years ago- Episode 1 Alternate Outcome
Trade Federation blockades and subsequently invades Naboo.

Massacre of Theed.

In the face of Republican inaction, Alderaanian Armed Forces dispatch a task force to break the blockade and liberate Naboo.

-Personal note-
The remnants of Rabme's family flee the world as refugees, but secure additional expeditionary work.

<1 year ago- Episode 2 alternate events
As the Republic Senate debates a Military Creation Act, an unforeseen buildup of military forces (later believed to have built up in the Geonosis system) strike against Republican peacekeeping forces.  Jedi casualties are high.

Emergency Powers are granted to the Supreme Chancellor, who raises a Grand Army of the Republic, currently consisting almost entirely of clones- their origin is unclear to the wider Republic.

The clone forces engage CIS forces, equipped with new weapons developed and produced in secret.  Unfortunately, such secret production is small in scale, and the shipyards of Kuat, Fondor, Corellia, Anaxes and elsewhere enter crash production programs, converting the bulk of their civilian shipyard production to military use in order to provide modern hardware to the Grand Army and it's volunteers.

Sector security flotillas, local fleets and mass volunteerism swell the ranks of the Grand Army of the Republic.  Secessionist fleets swell with ships associated with Geonosis, Serenno, the Trade Federation and other secessionist factions.

Did I get that about right?
Ons/Offs

TheFourthShade

I'd only really debate the 'Jedi casualties are high'.  For better or worse, the first battle of Geonosis didn't occur and the Jedi didn't become involved in ground fighting there.