News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yukina

Welp, I think I'll be dropping Plastic Memories. They did the same thing that made me stop watching Chobits; stuffing villains in a story that clearly didn't need them.

Drake Valentine

Ugh.

Gunslinger Stratos gave me a headache.

First episode was okay.

Second episode when they start explaining
PLOT
Basically, they are from the future, time travel back in time to present day 2015 Japan, but it isn't really a present day Japan but more of a digital Japan. There they fight THEMSELVES from ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSES, using some type of TECHNOLOGY that was given to both sides to prevent their universes from collapsing. WHAT!? Yea, I don't understand it either, I'm not sure if I even properly explained it, but after the anime scene explanation and the headache that followed I dropped the anime there.
was the dropping factor.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Cayenne

Quote from: Drake Valentine on May 02, 2015, 09:10:41 PM
Ugh.

Gunslinger Stratos gave me a headache.

First episode was okay.

Second episode when they start explaining
PLOT
Basically, they are from the future, time travel back in time to present day 2015 Japan, but it isn't really a present day Japan but more of a digital Japan. There they fight THEMSELVES from ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSES, using some type of TECHNOLOGY that was given to both sides to prevent their universes from collapsing. WHAT!? Yea, I don't understand it either, I'm not sure if I even properly explained it, but after the anime scene explanation and the headache that followed I dropped the anime there.
was the dropping factor.

Yeah...

I was totally like "What? what kind of ridiculous logic does this hinge on?"

Basically it is...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
You guys built this technology that you thought was time travel or some such but turned out to just hook your world to an alternate version of it (Of which happened because those guys at the very same time built the same damn thing).  Currently you are on a path where both of your worlds die in the future, and seeing as there is no future for either of you people are turning to dust right now (Because, they obviously can't wait till doomsday.. gotta jump the gun early) There is a chance though, that if you should just wipe out the other world completely your world will be saved.

So basically my thoughts of what it seems like is..

For whatever reason, we can't kill you directly (Be that because this is for their amusement or otherwise) We are turning those people who become dust into the energy you guys use to upgrade your technology so the more you wage this war the more you want to upgrade the more you wipe each other out.  I sit around and tell you that maybe one of you might live if you wipe the other out so that you have what you need to keep going down this self destructive path.

Currently, I don't think any singular person who has fought has been completely wiped out? Like, of everyone who has died so far their alternate is pretty much alive.

Also ...

During the conversation with himself he basically says "I can't believe you won't try to find some way of making this work where we don't murder each other!" and his opposing self is like "I can't believe you don't understand that this needs to be done!" and yet, and no point were they like "Well, I guess we should maybe sit down and talk because if you're me obviously me explaining my side will bring you over"

In the end, I'm not sure the writers have a good grasp of their own concept.. or at least, it doesn't seem like it currently.
"My mind is not in the gutter, I just happen to have a really good view of it from my high horse"

ONs & OFF

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Cayenne on May 03, 2015, 08:39:19 AM
Yeah...

I was totally like "What? what kind of ridiculous logic does this hinge on?"

Basically it is...

You guys built this technology that you thought was time travel or some such but turned out to just hook your world to an alternate version of it (Of which happened because those guys at the very same time built the same damn thing).  Currently you are on a path where both of your worlds die in the future, and seeing as there is no future for either of you people are turning to dust right now (Because, they obviously can't wait till doomsday.. gotta jump the gun early) There is a chance though, that if you should just wipe out the other world completely your world will be saved.

So basically my thoughts of what it seems like is..

For whatever reason, we can't kill you directly (Be that because this is for their amusement or otherwise) We are turning those people who become dust into the energy you guys use to upgrade your technology so the more you wage this war the more you want to upgrade the more you wipe each other out.  I sit around and tell you that maybe one of you might live if you wipe the other out so that you have what you need to keep going down this self destructive path.

Currently, I don't think any singular person who has fought has been completely wiped out? Like, of everyone who has died so far their alternate is pretty much alive.

Also ...

During the conversation with himself he basically says "I can't believe you won't try to find some way of making this work where we don't murder each other!" and his opposing self is like "I can't believe you don't understand that this needs to be done!" and yet, and no point were they like "Well, I guess we should maybe sit down and talk because if you're me obviously me explaining my side will bring you over"

In the end, I'm not sure the writers have a good grasp of their own concept.. or at least, it doesn't seem like it currently.

*Cries in corner.* >.>

All that gave me more of headache, glad I dropped that.

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

marblesoda

≿ So, I'm hoping this won't be taken the wrong way... it's been so long since I've watched any anime or read any manga. Mostly, because I'm more into western comics now. I'm not saying one is better than the other, the style of western comics just appeals to me more. I never could get into anime or manga as much as my friends did because I really don't like "pretty" characters. That said, there are some animes that I still love. Note that I get into manga for characters, not really story. Yeah, I know, weird...

Dragonball Z is definitely the big one. This is the one that started it all for me. I soaked that show up like a sponge, as well as Digimon (yes, I'm more of a Digimon fan than a Pokemon one, but I like both).

I put up with Rurouni Kenshin for the Oniwabanshu/Oniwaban Group (the original - Beshimi, Han'nya, Hyottoko, and Shikijo) until
they died
. So... yeah, not for very long. I just didn't like the main cast at all... kind of like Fullmetal Alchemist. I like everyone EXCEPT Edward Elric. ...And Envy.
I liked Shaman King a bit for Ryu and Tokageroh and was really excited when the manga-ka brought Tokageroh back as a protagonist, AND as the spirit for Ryu.
Cowboy Bebop was okay.
One Piece will probably be a manga/anime that I will always love. I don't think there's a character in that series I don't love, even if it's just because I love to hate them. The designs for the characters are outstanding, and I love that friendship is such a big plot for them. Luffy is such a cool kid. I'd be proud to be his "nakama"!
Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter are great and I wish there were more fans of them.
When I was very young, I was into Zoids and Gundam. But I didn't keep up with them for very long. (Are you noticing that I liked a lot of shounen? I did - still do. I am NOT a shoujo reader... I can't stand romantic-centric plots, honestly.)
Worst is an EXCELLENT manga. Well. For me. The character designs. All guys. All Japanese punk and greaser guys doing nothing but kicking each other's asses. Mmmmmmm. Drool.
And of course ANYTHING, ANYTHING at all, by Naoki Urasawa (20th Century Boys, Pluto, Billy Bat, Monster, etc). That guy has never written/drawn a manga I dislike.

...Sorry, I guess I talked more about manga than anime. I hope that's okay?

Anyway, yeah... other than that, I haven't read or watched any of this new-fangled stuff. I don't really have any plans to either - anime just doesn't hold my interest like it once did.
"Do you know what that really means? A knight in shining armor?" "A hero who saves the day." "No. A knight in shining armor never did nothing for nobody. He never fought. A knight in dented, scraped armor, now that's what you want."

Drake Valentine

Speaking of Dragon Ball.

Dragon Ball Super is going to be a new series coming in June. Akaria Toryiama(sp) and whatever the company are going back. So, the events will continue after Buu series.

VonDoom

Naoki Urasawa, eh? My favorite works of his are Pluto, Monster and 20th Century Boys -- I'll admit that Billy Bat still hasn't really drawn me in, but I vaguely recall reading Happy! years ago and liking it.

Did you at least like Saito Hajime?  ;D He was my favorite in Kenshin, though it has to have been over ten years since I read it.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Cayenne

Keeping!
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches: This is pretty fun - though I've read most of the manga it's enjoyable to watch in anime form.
Baby Steps: Continues to please, I love the technical aspects and descriptions involved in how everything about tennis works - very inspiring~
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: Still liking it, with its light technical stuff on cooking and general over-the-top-ness.
Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon?: The main plot seems to be coming in, and the main character is kinda fun, especially his response to having learned a new skill.
Niseko: Came off a fun little two episode story so has kind of won me back for the time being~
MY love STORY!: Still awesome, might be a contender for the best new thing this season.
Rin-Ne: Is fun, not much goes on - it feels very old school probably because the manga it is derived from is a bit older.
Sound! Euphonium: Liking the technical things they are talking about so it's hooked me a little more~

Unsure!
World Trigger: I sorta want to drop this, or at least ignore it for a while so I can get some episodes built up as it is annoying about how little actual new episode is per episode.
Fairy Tail: I might want to ignore it for a while so I can build up episodes, while stuff does happen each episode, coming off of having marathoned it and now waiting for small bites is tough!
Fate Stay: Still hanging on, I am feeling fatigue on it though.

Drops!
Gunslinger Stratos: No characters that have clicked with me, kind of a messed up plot.. don't really feel much desire to watch.
"My mind is not in the gutter, I just happen to have a really good view of it from my high horse"

ONs & OFF

marblesoda

(Drake Valentine) I know! I'm so excited! I love the Dragonball universe and I just got my copy of Xenoverse today! It's excellent so far. I guess a lot of the appeal comes from making my own character in the DBZ universe, which is what I've wanted to do since I was like, 8, but the fighting is really cool too. I'm so used to sort of side-scroller-ish fighting.

(VonDoom) I tried to read 20th Century Boys a long time ago and couldn't get into it. Then I read Monster and was utterly blown away by how much I loved it and the characters. So I had to read more by him, gave 20th Century Boys another chance, and now I read it yearly. Pluto is amazing, especially Dr. Hoffman. What a cutie. And it's so beautiful how attached he is to Geist (who is also amazing).

I'll admit, I don't like Billy Bat AS much, but I do love the historical context of it all. The idea that
Judas DIDN'T betray Jesus, but was told by him what he HAD to do
sends delicious shivers up my spine. And I also vaugely remember Happy! and just being so angry she wouldn't just get with the loan shark already! He cares about her and wants to take care of her, the other guy is a lying sack of - RRRR. Sorry.

I did like Saito from what I read/watched but again I didn't really watch much after that one point I mentioned! Though I guess I did like some members of the Juppongatana (I have this theory that Chou and Beshimi are related, because they look similar in the face, have the same eyes, and, er, well, they do have the same English VA).
"Do you know what that really means? A knight in shining armor?" "A hero who saves the day." "No. A knight in shining armor never did nothing for nobody. He never fought. A knight in dented, scraped armor, now that's what you want."

VonDoom

... wow, just noticed that I missed writing 'years' in my earlier post. Fixed now!

I don't recall any real details about Happy!, sadly -- maybe I should read it again. The historical context of Billy Bat is interesting, but it all just seems so unfocused. I mean, I realize it's intended to be so, but it just doesn't appeal to me as much as his other stories. 20th Century Boys may have had stretches I didn't enjoy as much as others, but that was different.

Anime-wise I'm currently only really watching Fate/Stay and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Though I read all of the manga, so the anime doesn't really hold any surprises, it's a pretty nice adaption. Fate/Stay is kinda ... well, it's better than the first anime adaption (and I couldn't get over the first couple of minutes of the visual novel, either -- those inner monologues from Rin just made me shudder), but I'm not too enthused, perhaps another route would have been more enjoyable. I certainly loved Zero.

... thinking of visual novels, maybe I should replay Umineko. Or at least my favorite episodes.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Drake Valentine

Just finished Garo anime series.

I just don't know how to really feel about it.

I mean, it was good-ish.. Kind of had its depressing moments. I didn't really like how it ended, I think that is main thing. The final episode was too much out there/over-top. Then again, the whole anime was a bit over top. >.<

It was okay, I guess is my final verdict, I seen better, it could of went a lot better; but eh, that is anime. Only very few anime left a very good impression for me.

Code Geass
Umineko: When They Cry
Yuyu Hakosho(sp T_T)
Dance in the Vampire Bund
Inuyasha (Minus fact I never watched the final season they did for it, hell, I not even sure if I finished the entire series prior to that final season.)

Then there was that one anime I already forgot name of because I found out that it will never be finished(due to the sad fact of the author of the manga has passed,) One with dude that face was like a lion or tiger and he was protecting some prince/princess of a kingdom. Wonderful anime(minus the filtering of blood and violence,) and lack of me recalling the name.

Drake Valentine

Nanatsu no Taizai was a good anime, looking forward to second season whenever it comes around. Also, the episodes tend to have more to them after the end, most of them, so usually wise to watch after each of the closing scenes or skip through em to end.

Arslan Senki is also a really good anime. Not sure of the OAV series, right now watching the remake TV series of it.

Cayenne

Quote from: Drake Valentine on May 22, 2015, 07:23:46 PM
Nanatsu no Taizai was a good anime, looking forward to second season whenever it comes around. Also, the episodes tend to have more to them after the end, most of them, so usually wise to watch after each of the closing scenes or skip through em to end.

Arslan Senki is also a really good anime. Not sure of the OAV series, right now watching the remake TV series of it.

I was reading the manga for Nanatsu no Taizai, it really didn't catch me - I noticed they changed some of the setup from the original short that it came from. I never really got into Arslan Senki, though I remember seeing it come up some time ago!

As for me, I haven't really dropped any anime in a while now, everything I'm currently watching is keeping my interest pretty well - and at least one of the ones I was wondering about is turning into a real standout for the season.

ONs & OFF

Yukina

I'm currently almost caught up on the Universal Century era of Gundam (just the original and Gundam Victory. I refuse to finish that G-Reco abomination). :)

KingsBlade

In general anyone have any recommendations for an underrated or generally obscure action anime. I've literally just started going down the list on some anime sites just to see what's there and so I'm still looking for any suggestions. I know all of the anime from 2014 and 2015 so anything besides those would be appreciated.

marblesoda

Quote from: KingsBlade on May 22, 2015, 09:43:20 PM
In general anyone have any recommendations for an underrated or generally obscure action anime. I've literally just started going down the list on some anime sites just to see what's there and so I'm still looking for any suggestions. I know all of the anime from 2014 and 2015 so anything besides those would be appreciated.

Only anime, or are you accepting manga recommendations? Because a good obscure action manga: Worst. I love it, it's one of my favorites. As for anime... well, I do manga more than anime so I'm afraid I won't be able to help you out if you're only looking for anime. Sorry!

Drake Valentine

Not many I can recall.

Kingdom was really good, but I think that was around 2014-2015. I mean, if you can get pass the graphics of the anime, it is a good action/adventure series.
Guin Saga(finally remember it) is good, unfortunately that anime will never likely be continued given the author of the manga had passed away and the manga itself is pretty long, but the anime I believe only went on to the first arc and ended.
Dog Days was okay, I didn't like the other seasons of it.

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/all?sort=average&order=desc&include_tags=179&page=1 Helps, that was what I was using when hunting action animes, I was going by ratings.

Edit: Well, you might have to fiddle with it, I was actually hunting adventure animes at the time it seemed. Lazy Drake is lazy.

Lynnette

Underrated? Hmm... That's a hard one. One of those that may not be as popular would be Rurouni Kenshin. Pretty decent series overall, but not as commonly acknowledged as something like say One Piece or Naruto. Jormungand is also very good if you're into gun-action, same with Black Lagoon if you haven't already seen it. Trigun is really good as well, but it's starting to get a bit dated so the soon 20 years old animation might become a turn-off. And then there's Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Highly acknowledged, but a must-watch if you haven't already.

Hunter X Hunter (2011) ended not too long ago, it's worth a shot if you haven't given it a try yet. I didn't like it too much, but people really like it so I guess it's fair game. Hellsing Ultimate (Just skip the original) is pretty amazing as well.

Darker Than Black is also a cool action show.

That's about it that I can remember off the top of my head.
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

Raef

Owari no Seraph

Description: One day, a mysterious virus appeared on Earth which killed every infected human over the age of 13. At the same time, vampires emerged from the world's dark recesses and enslaved mankind. Enter Hyakuya Yuuichirou, a young boy, who along with the rest of the children from his orphanage, are treated as livestock by the vampires. Even in captivity, Yuuichirou dreams big. He dreams of killing vampires. He dreams of killing them all.

Pretty decent from what I have watched so far.
ONs and OFFs
My Kinks
~~BUSY AS A BUZZING BEE IRL - POSTING WILL BE DELAYED - Sorry Peeps ~~

Kimmy

I've got a hankering for some new sci-fi or space based animes. Can anyone throw up suggestions? It can be a new, recent or old. I just haven't found many in the last few years. The closest I've had is Aldnoah.zero which is just beautiful... But not quite Sci-fi really. It is, but it's not a huge focus. I love Macross, Vandread, Nadesico & such - but it's something I rarely find (hopefully I'm just blind to the releases...)
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
A&A           RL Issues: Some Insomnia.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

Yukina

Quote from: Kimmy on May 26, 2015, 11:40:33 AM
I've got a hankering for some new sci-fi or space based animes. Can anyone throw up suggestions? It can be a new, recent or old. I just haven't found many in the last few years. The closest I've had is Aldnoah.zero which is just beautiful... But not quite Sci-fi really. It is, but it's not a huge focus. I love Macross, Vandread, Nadesico & such - but it's something I rarely find (hopefully I'm just blind to the releases...)

(Prepare for a lot of Gundam suggestions)

- Zeta Gundam
- Gundam 00
- Gundam SEED (I suggest you stay away from Destiny though)
- Gundam Unicorn
- MSG: 8th MS Team (They never go to space in it, but it has a nice story nonetheless)

yugi006

Quote from: Kimmy on May 26, 2015, 11:40:33 AM

My suggestions would be:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Arise
Psycho Pass
Knights of Sidonia

Kimmy

Ghost in the Shell and various Gundams are the ones I do know off - but I'll look into the rest. And to be honest I always forget how many iterations of Gundam there are - so I'll check to see which ones I've missed.

Thanks folks!
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
A&A           RL Issues: Some Insomnia.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

Yukina

A question for the thread: What is your favorite anime theme song?

Mikem

I can't find a favorite, I'm not that much of a purveyor of Anime, however I recall the one for Girls Und Panzer was pretty good.

I also have a question. I love Anime, it's a vice. But it's a bitter vice because most Slice of Life Anime just pisses me off, especially if there's romance in it cause whenever it's a male protagonist, he's always a pushover and always naive, never takes charge in coversations n'such. I want to see one nice show where the guy can actually talk about to the girls, instead of donning the familiar wide eyed blush and muttering "uhh" twenty times an episode.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs