Feychaser (Original fantasy freeform)

Started by Ontan, June 14, 2017, 09:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontan

The world is unravelling.

Magic has always waxed and waned over the centuries… but never before has it grown so weak, so quickly. The last 80 years has seen it fade to a shadow of its former brilliance, and many have begun to fear something is deeply wrong with the world itself. This terrible phenomenon is known as the Wasting. Our leaders tell us everything is fine, but magic grows thin, as if strangled at the source.

Say what you want of our western neighbours: while we ‘civilised’ folk did nothing, the ancient nation of orcs tried to find a solution. They convened a grand gathering of royals, mages, and holy men of all races in order to address the crisis, and for weeks the passage to their ageless stone ziggurats remained blocked while leaders of all nations deliberated as equals. In the end, it was the orcish hosts who discovered the cause for the Wasting. Lead by the high shaman himself – their living link between earthly races and the gods – they gathered on the monolithic steps to address the masses huddled below. With eyes downcast and shoulders slumped, they told of their findings. They said that magic, the very essence of our world, was almost spent. They said there was only one way to restore balance: a terrible and almighty culling of life.

The shamans wept openly as they incanted the profane spells that opened their portals to oblivion. By the time anyone realised what was happening, it was already too late. The sky turned red, and untold tides of demons poured forth from the otherworldly maws. This demonic invasion is known as The Cull, and it spills towards every horizon in its crusade against mortal life. Its leaders – the shamans who command the portals – are known as the Weeping Sages.

The realm, divided.

Sometimes, I wonder if the walls of our glorious city aren’t a little too tall. In our safety, we’ve grown blind to the calamities abroad, and the suffering of our neighbours.

In the north, the tyrannical Empire carves a path of conquest and slaughter against any non-human who defies them. For too long we have considered Imperial aggression to be a northern problem… but The Cull has changed everything. The Empire grows bold as magic weakens: even as their emissaries mouth words of peace and cooperation against the demonic invasion, they put the last of their enemies to the sword, and soon their gaze will turn south. The Cull has created a vacuum of power, and the avaricious gaze of the Empire senses opportunity in chaos.

To the west, civil war simmers as the populace is torn between those who would fight against The Cull, and those who feel that the gods’ will must be obeyed unto annihilation. Survival or faith: it is a terrible decision to impose upon anyone, and the western states have already started to tear themselves apart... and all the while, The Cull sweeps their scattered armies aside. Be it from Imperials, demons, or their own zealous kin, countless thousands of refugees are being driven from their ancestral homes, but none of them know how to march. I fear many of them will not be able to outrun the coming slaughter.

Even the very heavens are divided against themselves. I know they weep just as the orcish shamans do, but so many of our gods would see whole nations eradicated so that the world itself may survive. Countless holy men and women – be they primeval shamans or civilised clerics – have been forced to join the Cull, or had their powers stripped by the deity they once served. There are still a handful of gods who have not forsaken us, but with the Wasting weakening what little magic remains, things look desperately bleak for most of the realm…

But here in the east? Reamsul stands strong against any storm. Forget the north, and forget the west. Forget the realm of the gods. In our hearts of hearts, we know The Cull isn’t our problem, because whatever happens we’ll be safe in the city. We won’t even have to fight on the walls if we don’t want to. But we will have to live with ourselves afterwards…

A mission of mercy…

We can take our good fortune for granted, or we can use it to save hundreds. Think on it: whole families and communities spared from the nightmarish slaughter of The Cull. A dozen terrified children saved from a demon’s fangs, then a dozen more.

Look around at the other people gathered here. I know what we can do, but more importantly, I know what we cannot. I am not asking for heroes to save the world. I am only asking for a few brave souls to crew my ship. If you can hold a weapon, read a map, or tend a wound, then you can do this job, and do it well. Hells, if all you can do is help someone’s grandmother shuffle up a plank, then that’s all I’m asking of you. 

My ship, the Feychaser, will follow the coastline until we reach the hamlet of Twin Bridges – it’s as good a place as any. We will offer passage to those poor souls stranded there, and then we sail straight back to Reamsul. That’s it. One stop, with no heroics and no distractions, and we’ll be back long before The Cull gets anywhere near us. Your conscience will be lighter for it… and in case it matters, your purse will be considerably heavier. I’ll see to that with my own coin.

We leave at first light. I sincerely hope to see you then.

Ontan

OOC Information

Welcome to Feychaser!

The two main sources of inspiration are the Banner Saga franchise, and an E-forums original, Darkplague: The Evil Embrace.  That said, this game will draw upon an entirely original lore, with plenty of room for players to fill in blanks and make their own contributions to the setting as a whole. Plot wise, the story will centre on a group of not-yet-heroes trying to lead a band of refugees to safety as the world around them threatens to spiral into chaos.

A few features include:
  • 80% Plot, 20% smut: The emphasis will be on story and character development. Erotic content will be entirely optional, but I'll make sure there's opportunity for that too. 
  • NC Forums: Notwithstanding the above point, the game will feature some slightly dark themes, so it will be placed in the NC group forums. Extreme content will not be explicitly posted: at most, it’ll be alluded to before the scene ‘fades to black’.
  • Dark fantasy setting: The game will take place in an entirely original fantasy setting where magic is starting to fail. I’ll be aiming for a gritty feel to the theme, albeit with a bit of humour to break things up now and then. Story-wise, it’ll be a tale of exploration and survival rather than a save-the-world epic.
  • Freeform: Some light dice rolling may feature for critical events, but this won’t be a rules-based game. The GM will take care of the dicebot!
  • Game length: The game will comprise of six distinct chapters, with players dropping in and out as needed. I’ll wait to see how much interest there is before setting any limits on player numbers.
  • Posting frequency: Whatever you can manage, but ideally once per week at a minimum.
  • Character classes: Occupation, background, and class are entirely flexible, but I ask that players mostly aim for a novice or journeyman vibe when creating their characters. If you really want to play a seasoned hero, I might make an exception or two, but the overall theme should be on novice adventurers getting caught up in events beyond their control. 
  • Less time on a ship than you might expect: It wouldn’t be an adventure if everything went according to plan…

If this looks like it might be your thing, let me know by leaving a few questions or comments - and while you're at it, maybe have a quick peek at the Worldbuilding Thread!

Character Creation

Templates for character sheets are provided below. A few points about character creation:
  • No anime, please. Photos or semi-realistic artwork are both fine.
  • Characters can start in either Reamsul, or the hamlet of Twin Bridges. Notwithstanding one short round of prelude posts, the story itself will start with the Feychaser’s arrival at the hamlet.
  • When creating your character, aim for a low or moderate level of power. Most PCs should either be in the early stages of their adventuring career, or even setting out on their very first journey. However, if you really want to play a seasoned veteran, send a PM.
  • For character background, feel free to make up minor factions or locations (e.g. a centaur settlement in Reamsul, etc.). So long as it doesn’t clash with anything in the worlbuilding thread, it should be fine.
  • Finally, don’t be afraid of role redundancy! This isn’t an MMO, and there’s no requirement to have a perfectly balanced trinity of tanks, damage, and support. Try to think of a character you’ll enjoy playing, rather than feeling obligated to fulfil or avoid certain roles.

I’ll be adding some character sheets for the two main NPCs, demonstrating a detailed and brief CS respectively. Until then, the basic framework is provided below. Feel free to post any questions, ideas, or drafts right here in the thread... or, if you want your character to be a surprise, just PM it instead.

Player Name: Your username for the E-forums.
Character Name: The name of your character, along with any titles or aliases.
Concept: A short summary of your character. Basically, it’s their character class.
Race, Age: Exactly what it sounds like. The minimum character age is 18!

Place of origin: Where your character lived before The Cull. They’ll need to start aboard the Feychaser (or in Twin Bridges, awaiting its arrival), but how they end up there is entirely up to you.
Appearance and Mannerisms: Their general appearance, and how they carry themselves in public. Also include any noteworthy pieces of equipment.
Background: A summary of your character’s personal history, and the events that led to them joining (or awaiting) the Feychaser on its mission of mercy. It can be as long or brief as you like.

Skills (3-5): Your character’s training and abilities. This includes spellcasting! Please include a general indication of the level of competency (novice, apprentice, journeyman, etc.).
Strengths: Distinct from their skills, these represent the character’s innate virtues. Courage, alertness, and empathy are all good examples.
Flaws: The personality flaws of your character. Try to make them meaningful! Please avoid “inexperienced” or “naïve” – that’s just part of being an amateur adventurer.

Connections: If you’re looking for a pre-existing connection to another character, such as a childhood friend or long-term spouse, place the request here. Similarly, note connections that have already been established.
Ons and Offs: The ons and offs that apply to your character. If your OOC player preferences don’t match with your character’s desires (eg NC scenes), please clarify which is which.

[float=right][img height=250 padding=5]http://i63.tinypic.com/1056xys.jpg[/img][/float]
[b]Player Name:[/b]
[b]Character Name: [/b]
[b]Concept: [/b]
[b]Race (Age):[/b]

[b]Place of origin: [/b]
[b]Appearance and Mannerisms: [/b]
[b]Background: [/b]

[b]Skills (3-5): [/b]
[b]Strengths: [/b]
[b]Flaws: [/b]

[b]Connections: [/b]
[b]Ons and Offs: [/b]

pdragon

Looks really cool, I'm throwing in my interest.

As far as questions, what would be the process of creating our own God/Goddess? Would you like a formal "sheet" or anything like that? something similar to what's in the world building thread for example? I have two vastly different character ideas but both would require making a new god and/or religious branch.
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Ontan

Thanks for the interest!

For making your own god / goddess, a short blurb (like in the world building thread) is fine. That said, anything further would be a nice bonus, especially if you want them to have a few nuances that set them apart.

Rajah

This is an astoundingly cool premise and I'm honestly shocked it hasn't gotten many bites up until now. Are you still looking to run it?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

whimsy

o/o ⊱ ☯ ⊰ a/a

TheHangedOne

A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Ontan

THM and whimsy:Thanks for the interest!

Rajah: Yes! I'm still looking to run it. If I can get 6-8 expressions of interest, then I'll open up recruitment and put up a template for character sheets. That said, people are still welcome to submit things (characters, gods, etc.) before then.

whimsy

Quote from: Ontan on June 20, 2017, 08:40:44 PMIf I can get 6-8 expressions of interest, then I'll open up recruitment and put up a template for character sheets.

Can't wait! I'm definitely starting on a character in the meantime ^^
o/o ⊱ ☯ ⊰ a/a

CATastrophe

Chronoclasm

I really shouldn't join anymore games.

But I'm too interested not to say "I'm interested." ::)

Count mine as tentative interest. I may put in a sheet after I read a bit more of the worldbuilding, if you do open for recruiting. But either way, whether I join or not, I do just want to say that you've done a great job with the setup Ontan.
"Being with you and not being with you is the only way I have to measure time." ― Jorge Luis Borges

Ser

*raises hand*

Sign me up for the next war! Very cool, I'm in if you open it up ;)

Kadigan

I would be very interested, been a while since a fantasy game has piqued my interests.

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Ontan

[Character sheet templates have been moved to the top of the thread!]

Dys Astyr

Ooohhh, this sounds so exciting! I'm on my phone currently but I'm gonna be all over this once I can get on a real computer. ;D
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

TheHangedOne

Player Name: THM
Character Name: Caecus Bellator
Concept: Downtrodden Outcast/Crippled Warrior/Justice Seeker
Race: Human, 27

Place of origin: Reamsul
Appearance and Mannerisms: Caecus often wears dirty clothes, as befitting one of the downtrodden; he also carries a staff with him, made of solid ironwood, and capped with metal at each end, which is likely worth more than the various little trinkets he carries with him. His eyes, and indeed, most of his face, remains bandaged. He appears to be in his late twenties. A pendant hangs around his neck, showing two closed eyes, and a third, opened eye in a triangular formation; a holy symbol for the blind god of Hidden and Forbidden knowledge. He can constantly be heard murmuring to himself, or tapping his staff around.
Background: A human, he was born with poor eyesight, which gradually developed into full on blindness. He was shoved out onto the streets by his parents who could not afford to care for a cripple; but a community of the poor and disenfranchised where willing to take him in, and he learned to be a beggar, often earning a quite deal of sympathy from his milk-white eyes, which saw nothing of his surroundings.

One day, as a teen, a man approached him, and asked him if he was content with his life; Caecus responded that no, he had nothing to truly be happy about it. His life was one of agony and suffering, even if those around him meant well and did what they could for him. The man enjoyed his honesty, and offered to teach him something; it would not give him his sight back, but it would show him how he could understand the world around him in a different way.

It was with this stranger that he learned how to perceive the "melody of the universe" around him; how to interpret it, and interact with it. How to let it guide him, and, should he need to, how he could disrupt it. The man also gave him the medallion, and told him to keep it close, to study it with his fingers, and contemplate on its meaning and its nature; that one day, he would understand.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
Skills (3-5): Blind-fighting (In melee combat, he suffers no penalty from his blind condition) (Journeyman),  Hidden Awareness (can discern the location of traps and hidden doors) (Novice), Enigmas (Puzzles, riddles, and esoteric knowledge have become his bread and butter) (Apprentice).
Strengths: Calm Heart (Doesn't give into anger or fly off the handle), Strong Morals (Difficult to corrupt or influence), Strong Constitution (Living on the streets breeds hardiness)
Flaws: Downtrodden (He's a bum! He talks nonsense all the tim. What a loony! Who can take him seriously?), Blind (Can't physically perceive the world around him; while his blind-fighting skill helps him overcome this to some degree, there are still many tasks that he is utterly unsuited to perform, or could only do with assistance).

Connections: - Open
Ons and Offs:   https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=191021.msg9257412#msg9257412
Check out my poet tree!

Ontan

Dys Astyr: Welcome  :-)

THM: Looking good! I've sent off a PM to check one or two points before finalising approval, but on the whole Caecus is looking like a fine start to the roster of adventurers. 

People in general: I've made a very small change to the character sheets, namely the addition of a race / age line to provide a slightly clearer snapshot for each character. I'm also hoping to get the last of the Worldbuilding thread sorted out over the next few days, but even in it's final state I'll still be leaving some space for people to add their own lore (more gods, locations, etc.).

Kadigan

Hoping this is good and people like. Ever the fear on posting the profile!

Player Name: BarbaraGordon

Character Name: Linara

Concept: Awkward Monster Looking for her Place

Race (Age): Homunculus (24)

Place of origin: Unknown

Appearance and Mannerisms: Standing 5’6, Linara, for the most part, looks very human. She has blonde hair, and besides from strangely red eyes, can pass for a human without much problem. She has a pair of wings, small as they are, that can be tucked against her back and while a bit uncomfortable, fitting beneath most clothes. Currently they’re not strong enough to do more then flap or twitch. A few patches of her skin, thankfully easily covered, have scales on them.

Mannerisms: She’s a bit shy, from years of hiding and running from various people of the law and her “father,” as well as people recoiling from her. The few people she’s talked too and made something of friends with when she opens up, she can be silly at times, though still awkward.

Background: Linara was created in a laboratory and that’s as much as she knows about her background. She was an attempt to create something new by mixing it with something old and dangerous, but something in the mixture was wrong and the resulting accident allowed her to seize upon her freedom. The few brief memories she has of her time in the lab are of pain and being poked and prodded. The person or persons doing so were of high standing however, and if word of the embarrassing experiment escape got out well..that wouldn’t do. They’ve been looking for her for quite some time.

After escaping and before she learned the names of things she wandered for several weeks before finally coming upon a large city. She survived those intervening weeks by catching fat, dumb and slow things, or just eating whatever leaves she could find.  It was easy to blend in, robes and hoods making it easy to stay hidden. Eventually, Linara took her name from the first time she over heard a mother reading a child a story from a book, not knowing it was about a cute armadillo that caused mischief, unwittingly taking the moderately famous character's name.  She took what she needed, fled when spotted, and generally kept to herself. She helped a few people though who repaid her with small bits of kindness and foods. So she wanders about the city, looking for some place to belong or fit in.

Skills (3-5): Linara has the ability to generate fire from her mouth, via two glands that were implanted on either side of her cheeks. They generate chemicals that ignite upon contact with each other and air. It’s taken quite some practice to keep them from leaking and to control them, but she does not have a lot of experience in using them in fights (she has defended herself with them a few times.) (Journeyman)

She is physically as strong as a fit male, her slight frame hiding this fact from most who look at her as an easy prey or meal. (Novice)

From her years living on the streets she has a fair ability to snatch things away from booths, food and clothing, though she is by no means an accomplished thief. (Barely Competent)

Strengths: Linara was never going to be a perfect weapon, as she was possessed with a conscience. She’s well aware that her actions while living on the run have hurt people trying to simply get by and feels bad for it. She longs to fit in, and to belong to a group as well, eager to make friends and connections. She cannot ignore someone in need either, at times exposing her true self to help them even when it has put her in risk. She is also very curious and eager to learn things, but hasn’t been given a lot of chances.

Flaws: She lacks a lot of real world experience, as she’s only been out in the world for a few years now, and also having been in the city. Things like sword fighting (or practical fighting of any kind), sailing, foraging in the wilderness are mysteries to her, things only heard of in conversations.

The more she uses her “gifts” the more she has found she needs to eat to restore the energy taken. Prolonged usage can seriously injure or hurt her if she were not careful to rest and restore herself somewhere in there.

She has also through snippets of overhearing things, figured out what she is, and worries that she’ll continue to change into something more and more inhuman or dangerous, or uncontrollable.

Connections: Open, also her “parents” are still seeking her.

Ons and Offs:

MisoThe Mouse

ONTAN!!
*Secret Indigo Star Handshake*

I am interested, have a half Orc Berserker I never really got to play much.

Ontan

Super quick update!

THM: Thanks for the PMs. Caecus is approved!

Barbara: I'm liking what you've done, but there are one or two things I'll need to iron out. They're all very minor, so don't worry. I'll send off a PM just as soon as I get the chance.

MTM: MISO!! Glad to have you aboard  ;D

People making characters: I've got a couple of PMs about this, so I'm putting out a little snippet for Reamsul's provincial heartlands. Information on some of Reamsul's other locations has been added to the Worldbuilding thread, too.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Sheltered by the Whitewatch range on two borders, and with Reamsul’s fleets patrolling the third along the coast, Reamsul’s heartlands have become synonymous with peace, wealth, and stability.

[...]

It’s not all plump villages and sleepy castles, though. Just as the west has trade enclaves that provide little islands of civilisation, Reamsul is home to a few “special administrative areas”, where assimilated cultures can still express their ancestral traditions. Provided their… foibles… remain self-contained (and visitors are given assurances of safety), these territories are afforded certain freedoms to do as they please. Inchel valley is home to three orc tribes, who are permitted to conduct their violent little wars on one another; Folduin Point has a particularly rough clan of humans who collar their women like livestock, even though slavery is frowned upon throughout most of Reamsul.

Giantmutantcrab

*purchases a ticket*

^___^

*waits six hours in line for all the cool kids to go in first*

-_-

*hands over ticket*

^_^

*is totally interested*

Dys Astyr

Player Name:Dys Astyr

Character Name: Dakka

Concept: Fighting Naturalist/Scientist (Ten points to anyone who gets this reference. :P)

Race (Age): Half Orc - 28

Place of origin: Durthak, but is rather nomadic.

Appearance and Mannerisms: Tall enough to be eye to eye with most human men, and Dakka finds one of the perks to being half orc is that she can carry around more equipment and notebooks. Generally she is always examining something, scribbling notes and mumbling to herself/anyone who is bored enough to listen. She usually carries a large knife, plus several smaller ones of various sizes and blade shapes, field journal and pencil, calipers, measuring tape, and other manner of small items that might be of use to someone who likes to examine things.

Dakka is generally easy going and friendly, though she does have a habit of punching things that are causing her frustration, be it people or otherwise. She isn't used to being around people that don't know her and doesn't really understanding niceties and manners like personal space. Or that people don't necessarily like being poked and studied. 

Background: Born to an orc mother and a human father, Dakka was raised by a caring (if strange) family group. Her parents, uncle (orc) and grandfather (human) lived a semi-nomadic life. The male members of her family are completely obsessed with studying, experimenting, and documenting a wide range of subjects: plants and animals, astronomy, geology, technology and medicine. Her mother, a skilled warrior, made sure she grew strong and was able to take care of herself while her other relatives imparted to her a sense of curiosity and love of knowledge/discovery. They already happened to be heading east when the Cull started and managed to make it to the safety of Reamsul without too much trouble. While her family (with the exception of her mother) are happy to stay in Reamsul and study new forms of technology, Dakka still has an itch to explore despite the danger. While even she knows that it's not a good idea she wants to study the demons too.

Skills (3-5): Brawler: (a wise man avoids challenging orcs to bar fights) Journeyman. Knowledge is Power: (knows a bit about everything, generally just enough to get into trouble) Apprentice. Tinkerer: (it's mostly fixed) Apprentice. Knife Fighting: (that's not a knife, this is a knife) Novice. Wortcraft: (as part of her studies she knows how to use plants, to help and to hurt) Novice.

Strengths: Dakka is a quick study, easily picking up the mechanics behind things. (This doesn't mean she is an instant expert, just that you can show her something once and leave her to practice on her own. Speed with which she gains proficiency varies with what she is learning.) Being half orc she is also pretty sturdy. She is observant and has a good memory. Living a mostly nomadic lifestyle means she's got outdoorsy skills/experience.

Flaws: Having spent most of her life with her family and close family friends Dakka isn't acclimated to serious conflicts. Not good at lying/bluffing, basically doesn't have much of a poker face to speak of. She also doesn't understand the concept of keeping information to herself. While she is good with her fists, she doesn't have much proficiency with weapons, even her knife is more of a tool than anything. Easily distracted by things she finds interesting, even in situations where that isn't appropriate.

Connections: Open

Ons and Offs: O_O

Kadigan

Dys Astyr

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on June 26, 2017, 07:50:44 PM
Is that a Master and Commander reference?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! ;D

And I was going to put a picture of the Galapagos pudding, but apparently no stills of that exist on the internet. XD

Ontan

Barbara and Dys: Approved! Both look like fantastic characters. I suppose I should starting making a character thread to house them  :-)

GMC: Woooo, it's the Giant Mutant Crab!

Dys Astyr

Kadigan

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *breath* oooo

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on June 27, 2017, 05:55:41 AM
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *breath* oooo

Barbara!

Hello there! I haven't seen you since your Suicide Squad group rp! How are ya?

Kadigan

Giantmutantcrab

Ontan

Updates all round!
  • Unseelie, demons, and the last few locations have been added to the worldbuilding thread. Aside from any player contributions that get submitted, it's now complete.
  • Character sheet templates have been moved near the top of the thread, so that people don't need to dig around to find them.
  • The backlog of PMs have been cleared - it's great to see so much interest! If you think I've missed you, just give me a nudge.
  • I'll be aiming to get things started in around a week, so keep the character sheets coming!

Dys Astyr

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Dys Astyr on June 30, 2017, 09:19:29 AM
I'm all aquiver with anticipation. O_O

*hides my virgin eyestalks from such... quiveringness*

Dys Astyr

What you've never seen a quivering Uzitaur before? You need to get out of the house more. :P XD

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Dys Astyr on June 30, 2017, 12:44:58 PM
What you've never seen a quivering Uzitaur before? You need to get out of the house more. :P XD

I would, but I am moving.

Like, today.

And there are no Uzitaurs where I live.

Here in the cold wastes of Canadiana.

Dys Astyr

Since it's true that the Uzitaurs are currently in exile the unbearbly hot hell-adjacent Badlands I guess that's a fair point. ;D

MisoThe Mouse

Player Name: Miso The Mouse
Character Name: Lugg-rashnu "Lugg" Ardak
Concept: Musically Inclined Berserker, Sword in the Cavern Flute in the Tavern
Race (Age): Half Orc (23)

Place of origin: The Red Hills, Far From here

Appearance and Mannerisms: Lug stands just shy of seven feet, six foot eight inches. His body in thinner than his full blooded cousins, yet he is compacted with toned muscle. His slender frame does not restrict his power in the least. Despite his natural under-bite, and pointed fangs, he sure took after his father facially. His mother was considered attractive even by human standards, and his father was tall dark and handsome, leaving him with a slender, attractive in a wild way face. His dark olive, nearly brown colored skin is covered in scars. Most notably the one across his eye, under his chin, and across the bridge of his nose. (ignore the blind eye in the picture) His eyes are black with golden iris. His hair can be found in two states, tied in a tight pony tail, or dangling freely about his head. Usually, it is tied up when he feels he may be involved in a scuffle soon. He has a tribal tattoo covering his right shoulder and chest, stopping just at the end of his forearm. I suppose one could use the term "free spirit" to describe Lug-rashnu. But his brand of freedom usually causes bodily harm to someone else. Lug spent most of his young life killing, participating in raids and tribal conflict. Being a half breed, he had allot to prove to his clans men. Lugg learned early on that he had a knack to killing, and enjoyed it more than he should have. Even in the world of Orcs, his ferocity and savagery on the battle field sent second thoughts of attacks on his people reverberating through the clans of red hill. A sociopath, Lugg has a hard time considering the feelings of others to put it lightly. His mother was the most fierce thing he has ever seen n the battle field, yet she was the last person he had truly cared about. It is all about the next kill for Lugg. The next fuck, the next broken bone.  Yet there is another side to the young half blood. His father taught his the ways of Rania, and the love of free will and music. One may find him out in the trees at night, enjoying the solitude, when he's not in the tavern looking for a romp or two. If one was lucky enough to hear the eerie song flowing from his flute, it would amaze you that something so soothing song come from someone so rough.. He also has a dire panther kitten who accompanies him almost everywhere. But these are the only glimpses of normal emotion you will see from Lug-rashnu, if you are so lucky to see them at all.

Background:
Lug-rashnu Ardak was born of a traveling merchant, a chocolate skinned man coming far from the east, and an orcish war maiden, her curved and unnaturally attractive face drawing in more mates from other races than any in her tribe before. His father was so unlucky, or so fortunate, however one would like to see it, to travel just shy on the territory of the Ardak Orc tribes of Red Hill. The Red Hill clans had a reputation for their ferocity, lore stating that the red soil at the base of the range was from years of in fighting and war. They traveled long distances, from high up in the North East of the Melandril Mountains, committed atrocities on human merchants, other orcs, anyone in sight, and traveled back to their home land, which was usually too far into harsh lands for anyone to continue the chase for long. Besides their vast cruelty, the Red Hill clans were known for their beautiful and fierce orc women. The merchant found himself a happy slave, adding four new children to the already six war maiden Lesh-afa Ardak already had.

Lugg learned early on, that the need to spill blood was thick in his veins. At the age of seven, he impaled his older sister with a shard of sharpened fire wood during an altercation over a toy. The boy was shocked when he was praised for his actions, his mother told him that only the strong take what they want. He quickly became the pride of the Ardak tribe. Even the adults treated him as one of their own, knowing that Lesh-afa would let him grow this blood lust, and cater to his warrior spirit. Lug-rashnu learned that he had a knack for making people laugh, often entertaining the adults with impresions of him mother and father, and other people around the clan. He liked merry  making almost as much as he liked to kill. Yet his skill shown through in both. She started him training early, teaching him to use his great grandfather's sword Barka, which at the time was nearly larger than him. But he trained mercilessly, and studied the ways of war the best he could. His father took up what he say as his obligation to try and teach the children the importance of emotions, and the ways of Love. The children respected him, but they did not take head. He warned them , especially Lug-rashnu, that a life of hate and death cannot lead to happiness. One thing Lugg did like however, was the music. Lugg's father taught him to play a wooden flute that he won on his travels, and the soothing music clung to the young half blood's soul. Sadly, his father died of sickness before he was to be considered a man. Lugg-rashnu never stopped practicing, even to this day.

As Lugg grew older, he began to participate in raids, and wars with neighboring tribes. He quickly gained the respect and admiration of the Ardak tribe and their enemies alike. He was fearless, charging the enemy line without a moment's hesitating. And he was ruthless. He followed his mother's lead in the world of Orc politics, leaving no room for the slightest glimmer of his weakness. There is a story, of Lug-rashnu bringing a handful of bloody spines to the discussion of the terms of a trade agreement, stating that this was the alternative. Yet, by Orcish standards, he had a silver tounge. There were many occasions where he talked town an opponent, drank mead with them, and pointed them in the direction of a buxom young female. His flute filled the festival air with music, and his battle cry was know throughout the tribes. But were he was admired, his mother, still after all these years, was feared. Even in her old age, his mother charged out to meet their prey every time, right at his side. She was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, and still the greatest warrior he had ever known. Together, they had conquered most of the Red Hill territories. And all was well, until the local government took notice to their progress. With horrendous timing for the tribes of Red Hill.

Just mere months before the unholy horde flowed into the lands, the local authorities felt they had to respond to the horrific stories of the raping, marauding, multilingual tribes of Red Hill orcs. The Ardak tribe, and the other tribes of red hill banded together to fight the grunts and cavalry men. They had held their own for the first few waves, but there were great losses to their numbers. His mother had died in the third wave impaled by a heavy cavalry spear. He was separated from his trusted blade for the first time during this battle, and if you hear the story from him, he was forced to beat the rider and the beast to death with his bare hands. He watched her die in his arms. And after all the fight they had pulled together, all the effort it took to band waring tribes of orcs together, it was not even the law that claimed the warriors of Red Hill. A local religious group say fit to attack the orcs or Red Hill, the persuasion of a hefty donation combined with the horror of past raids causing them to lash out in panic. The suddenness of the attack was too much, and the Ardak tribe, and many others were over whelmed. Few had escaped, those who had too panicked to try and group with each other.

Lugg wandered the forest for about a year, hunting on his lonesome. He found he had more patience than he knew, stalking groups for weeks on end until he found opportune time to attack. He fed off the panic of the unholy horde beginning to spill out into the land. Often, he would slay a few monsters who were attacking merchants and various caravans, and kill the merchants themselves as they say their words of gratitude. That was the routine, until he came across a group of brigands who had the same idea as him. This particular group of brigands he had been following for sometime came upon their prey. A jeweler, who seemed to be late for something or another. A  scuffle ensued, and the jeweler surprised Lugg with his prowess, taking with him three of the bandits on his way down. Lugg slayed the remaining two men, and cam across a ticket while patting down the bodies. Seems the jeweler was due to board a ship. Well at least that was Lugg's guess, he was begining to wish he paid more attention to his father's lessons. He filled his rucksack with shiny things, and headed toward the sea.

Skills (3-5):
  • Fleet Footed (Novice) Not acrobatic by any means, but he is light on his feet, and would probably dodge the hit just as well as he takes it
  • Tracking (Journeyman) Living out among the trees taught him the tell tale sighs of prey on the run. Living in the city, he began to apply this knowledge in a more useful light. Trade watering holes for taverns, dens for apartments and the like. Though he would most likely still have an easier time find you out among the trees
  • Hand to Hand (Apprentice) The steel knuckles of his gauntlets can be just at deadly as the edge of his blade if he needs them to be
  • Bastard Swords (Expert): Lugg was practically born with this blade in his hand. It belonged to his great grand father, and he has a sort of chemistry with it. It is always sheathed on his waist, where ever he is, and he would gladly tell you to fuck yourself were anyone to ask him to part with it, unless on orders from Nitzy. It's name is Barka, and it means the world to him. He prefers a heavy left handed Gauntlet to a shield, but could use a buckler or small round shield if need be.
  • Music (Apprentice): The flute, sometimes the lute. Lugg used to play the instruments he could scavenge off the bodies of traders and the like. He became fairly skilled with practice. The music calms him. It even sometimes calms Nixy (his kitten) when she is restless.

Strengths:
    Stupid, I mean Brave: He hasn't an ounce of fear in his soul. For better or worse
    Battlefield Knowledge: In the heat of the moment, when you're running out of options, Lugg will know what to do if no one else does.
    Loyalty: That kind of loyalty you can only learn on the Red Hill. Tribal love, animal attachment. If Lugg considers you family, you are worth dieing for.
    Charisma: He's funny, in a brute kind of way. Lugg will make you laugh and cringe at the same time.

Flaws:
    Nihilistic: Just doesn't care much. The next thrill is all. It could be a nuisance to a group, if he ever finds himself apart of one.
    Trauma: He is always in battle. Always. It is the only way he knows. And if there is no fight, he will make one.

Ons and Offs: Offs: Toilet Stuff, Blood Stuff,

MisoThe Mouse

A little long, but there he is! Good Ole Lugg-Rashnu of Red Hill

Ontan

Miso: Hey, nothing wrong with long backgrounds!

There are a few things I'd like to check before approving Lugg, mostly about his skills. I've sent a PM  ;)

MisoThe Mouse

Ontan

Thanks for the changes - Lugg is approved!

The list of approved characters (linked on the first page) is really starting to take shape, but we need plenty more character sheets, so keep them coming in.

Kadigan

Very excited for this to start. I think the mark of a good game is when you come up with a char you like then keep coming up with more in your head.

MisoThe Mouse

If anybody can think of any connections with my character let me know! I'm completely open

Dys Astyr

TheHangedOne

Likewise, if anybody would like to have a connection with the blind 'beggar', let me know.
Check out my poet tree!

A Painter

Ontan

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on July 02, 2017, 09:42:06 AM
Very excited for this to start. I think the mark of a good game is when you come up with a char you like then keep coming up with more in your head.

On that note, if anyone has an approved character but would still like to tinker with them, just send a PM and I'll get the roster updated in the official character thread.

A Painter: It certainly is! I'm aiming for 6-10 players to get things started.

A Painter

There's just a lot to read so I'll be going through it slowly. Hopefully the game doesn't fill up before I finish xD

Ontan

After a bit of toing and froing, I’ve decided to post up the NPC characters sheets – you can find them in the Accepted Character thread!

Please note that, as NPCs, they blatantly cheat on the ‘novice to journeyman’ vibe for character creation. However, don’t be put off by their skills. There’ll be various in-game reasons why the NPCs won’t be able to assist most of the time, so the onus is on player characters to resolve the challenges ahead. Again, I don’t plan on playing NPCs as party leaders: instead, think of them as ersatz Gandalf(s), dropping in and out of our hero’s company to nudge them in the right direction. Rest assured the heroes will have to figure their own way out of the adventure’s tribulations .

On an unrelated note, I'm still ridiculously excited to run this game, and would love to get it started sooner rather than later. If you're halfway through making a character sheet, shoot me a quick PM so I can get an idea on numbers. Similarly, if you're interested but struggling with a character concept, either post here or send a PM, and we'll see if we can't get things moving along.

Kadigan

Giantmutantcrab

Player Name: Giantmutantcrab
Character Name: Bjorn
Concept: Barbarian
Race (Age): Human (25)

Place of origin: The Valley of Bones, West Lands
Appearance: Björn is a Westerner and stands around 6’2” tall (190 cm) and weighs about 220 lbs (100 kg) nude. As most of his kin, Björn’s eyes are blue and his full mane of thick hair is somewhere between blonde and brown in color. He usually keeps his hair in a half-ponytail to prevent it from getting into his eyes. A lifetime of harsh living conditions and brutal combat has forged Björn’s body into a powerful frame with a dense musculature over thick, solid bones. His impressive frame moves with the sensual ease of a great cat, sculpted muscles rolling fluidly with each gesture. Traditional tattoos of his homeland decorate his torso and upper back. Björn possesses a rugged handsomeness to his visage and a lean, primal quality that can be quite alluring. His voice is clear and deep, with an accent of the West.

Björn usually carries a massive two-handed sword strapped to his back, sheathed in a leather scabbard that hangs from his fur-lined shoulder harness. His leather boots are covered with bear fur. His thick pants are held up by an intricate girdle, over which he wears a heavy leather kilt and steel leg plates. His twin war-axes are worn at the hips on his weapon belt, though he carries them in his hands when running or moving in stealth. A thick dagger is sheathed on the left side of the same weapon belt. Torcs of embossed steel are wrapped around his massive biceps. Björn rarely carries coin. Instead, he wears a gem-studded gold bracelet on his left wrist. For the folk of Valley of Bones, carrying coin is a noisy and clumsy affair; a stumble, a poorly closed pouch, a cut purse-string and one’s money is lost. Jewelry in the Valley of Bones is normally molded with predetermined weak points. In case of a mercantile exchange, simply snap off what is needed and keep the rest.

Mannerisms: Björn is usually direct in his approach and his intent. He has little patience for the forced, often disingenuous flourish of etiquette and social niceties that is expected of civilized folk, especially in formal settings. He is straight-forward in his speech without being intentionally abrasive; only an idiot passes off insults for honesty. However, this bluntness has often landed him in trouble. Björn has a sense of humor, although it is sometimes grim. He is an individualist who values freedom, both of himself and of others; few things make his savage blood boil more than slavery. It is the responsibility of the powerful to help the powerless. Why bother being strong if you do not use that strength to help those without it? He views laws as necessary in society but they are often confining and usually favor those who are already in positions of power. Björn is stubborn, loyal and dependable. His word is his bond and he does not swear an oath lightly. He does not hesitate to ask or offer help when it is needed. Björn adheres to high principles, his barbaric code of honor, and is a positive force for helping others. He has no tolerance for those who use their abilities to abuse or dominate others. Björn judges people on what they do and what they say, not what they look like or where they come from. For Björn, life is simple; people make it complicated. He knows that he is not a Chosen One, or even someone with a great destiny chosen for him; whatever will happen in his life, he will carve it out with his own two hands. He trusts his instincts and rarely second-guesses his intuition. He has a fire in his soul and an untamed heart. Björn lives furiously and passionately.

Background: Björn was raised in the savage, unforgiving West, also known as the Primal Lands or the Wild Lands. It is a place of untamed primordial flora and fauna, where only the smartest and strongest survive. The Valley of Bones, Björn’s place of birth, draws a jagged border between the Dune Sea to the far south and the Western lands proper. His village was built along the spine of what would have once been a cyclopean, long-dead beast’s skeleton. According to scholars, the whole southern sub-continent, including the Dune Sea and the Valley, had once been a deep inner sea, but the water somehow suddenly rescinded, trapping all aquatic life within to its communal doom. Over generations, those innumerable skeletons turned to dust and became the bone-white sands of the Dune Sea. The bones of certain gigantic creatures were left intact, giving the Valley of Bones its rather distinctive environment.

In the West, time and evolution seems to have been brought to a screeching halt ages ago. Animals and monsters, both mundane and ancient, can be found here. The Wild Lands are inhabited by several different races; Centaurs hunt wild game in the vast plains, while Minotaurs stalk prey within the deep, ancient woods that skirt the Valley’s westmost bone walls. Both races live side-by-side with Humans and Orcs within the Valley of Bones, forming a strange but functional community. Wild Elves, taller and stronger than their woodland counterparts, explore the Dune Sea upon light and sturdy catamarans, commercing with the “port” cities that dot the Valley of Bones. Until three Human generations or so ago, the people of the Valley lived as primitives, hunting and gathering and using bone-arrows and onyx-tipped spears to hunt and defend themselves. That all changed when fourteen Dwarven clans that abandoned their northern homelands to escape the persecution of the Empire added themselves to the eclectic Valley society. They dug into the mineral-rich soil of the earth, teaching the Valley-folk about stonework and metalwork. The Dwarven craft changed the Valley of Bones and within a single Human generation, nearly everyone was outfitted with tools and weapons of steel. This allowed the Centaurs, Minotaurs, WIld Elves, Orcs and Humans to fight and hunt with an efficiency unknown to them up until this point. Gunpowder was impossible to make in the Valley, so Dwarf engineers instead focused on composite bows and repeating crossbows for long-range combat.

Then, the Cull happened.

Magic, both arcane and divine, were fairly unknown in the Valley of Bones. The peoples there were hardy, strong-willed folk that rarely, if ever, bothered themselves with gods. One dark day with a blood-red sun shining in the sky, Wild Elves returned from the Dune Sea with prophecies of doom. They spoke of venerable Orc shamans that turned into the Weeping Sages. They spoke of eldritch tears within the air and the earth. They spoke of daemons, misshapen and fueled by the hate of all Life,  pouring out like so much toxic pus from a festering wound. And they spoke of the slaughters. Hundreds, thousands. The darkness seeping through all, moving in all directions with the speed and strength of Chaos undivided. Within the hour, the fastest volunteer runners were sent out to all corners of the West Lands with a single, clear message.

“The Valley of Bones readies for war. Unite with us to defend the West.”

Since that day, peoples have approached the Valley to find it preparing for war unending. All those capable of participating in the war effort do so. From children to the elderly, all do their part to prepare against the coming tide that threatens to wash all Life from the surface of the world into the Abyss. And if it is not the nightmaring daemons that will destroy them, then the Empire’s soldiers would trample all those that disobey beneath steel-toed boots. Perhaps the gods have forsaken this realm, perhaps they are powerless to stop it. Whatever the case may be, the Valley of Bones will fight the Culling and the daemon-spawns it vomits up.

Björn, having been one of the couriers charged with bringing the rallying call to a tribe of Centaurs in the north-eastern part of the central plains, knew that for all its willpower and strength of arms, the Valley alone could not both defeat a foe that seemed all-powerful and be hardy enough to resist the Imperial armies trudging down from the North simultaneously. So he set sail with the Wild Elves, crossing the sea of sands, and upon finding the shoreline, searched for a ship to reach Reamsul, the Jewel of the East, in hopes of speaking to its leaders so that an alliance can be hashed out, a union of the East and the West. To his shock and awe, he learned of Imperial ships that were boarding non-humans to travel back to the harsh North and the even harsher Empire. They promised food, shelter and protection for a simple payment; servitude. The true horror that visited Björn was the fact that refugees, both human and non-human, were lining up to board these Imperial vessels.

He turned away from the sight, wishing to find a fast ship heading towards the East.

The ship he boarded that day was the Feychaser.

Skills:
Combat style: Versatility (Journeyman) He use any weapon, but will never become a weapon master. He is at his most dangerous when fighting multiple opponents simultaneously
Combat style: Unarmed (Journeyman) Björn is trained by both Dwarves and Minotaurs in hand-to-hand combat and can grapple with opponents that are bigger than himself
Knowledge: First aid (Basic), Geography (Basic), Monster lore (Intermediate)
Profession: Hunting and skinning (Journeyman), both mundane animals and monsters
Stealth (Intermediate) Björn can hide and move silently very well for a man of his size and bulk

Strengths:
Born survivor: Life in the unforgiving West Lands has taught Björn a plethora of skills to survive in the wilds. He will thrive and survive, regardless of where he is and what equipment he does or does not possesses. His survival skills are such that he can also help others in such situations, but scarce available resources may make this difficult or downright impossible.
Might of the West: Björn possesses physical skills that surpasses anything “civilized” men can hope to achieve. He was taught strength by Orcs, learned swiftness and speed with Wild Elves and gained endurance with his Dwarf and Minotaur combat mentors.
Untamed heart: Björn has the strength of character and willpower to survive the hardships of life, as well as being difficult to frighten or intimidate.

Flaws:
- Mistrust of gods (gods and their minions are strange, difficult to comprehend and dangerous)
- Mistrust of magic (magic and its minions are strange, difficult to comprehend and dangerous)
- Primitive (unused to modern technology)
- Savage (ignorant of formal settings and the etiquette expected therein)

Ons and Offs: See my On/Off page.

Dys Astyr

O_____O Those torcs tho...

They really need to come back in fashion, torcs are awesome. ;D

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 08, 2017, 07:14:12 PM
O_____O Those torcs tho...

They really need to come back in fashion, torcs are awesome. ;D

Björn is a delicate flower, those torcs are as petals upon his willowy arms.

Dys Astyr

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on July 08, 2017, 07:38:19 PM
Björn is a delicate flower, those torcs are as petals upon his willowy arms.

Now I wish I would have done one of my stereotype amazonian barbarian types so this could be a running gag. XD

Kadigan

I can't think of torc's without thinking of Eddie Drood any more.

Giantmutantcrab

Wolfling72

O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Ontan

Wolfling: The idea is okay, but it'll be the players that make it amazing  ;)

GMC: Before we get too caught up in torc talk, there are a few teeny tiny adjustments needed for Bjorn's skill set. He has one too many, so you'll need to ditch a skill of your choice to bring the total down to five (on that note, "knowledge" can count as one skills, but it'll be proportionally weaker given it covers three different fields). Also, please list Bjorn's level of competence for things like knowledge and survival. I know I'm being picky, but there's a method to the madness.

A Painter

Ontan

GMC: Thanks for making the changes - Bjorn is approved!

A Painter: Read and replied  :-) 

TheHangedOne

I mean, if we turn into an amazing adventuring band, we could all have torc's with a guild insignia sort of thing on them.  ;D
Check out my poet tree!

Dys Astyr

Quote from: TheHangedMan on July 09, 2017, 11:18:44 AM
I mean, if we turn into an amazing adventuring band, we could all have torc's with a guild insignia sort of thing on them.  ;D

I am 100% behind this idea.

Giantmutantcrab

Wolfling72

Quote from: Ontan on July 09, 2017, 04:48:47 AM
Wolfling: The idea is okay, but it'll be the players that make it amazing

Truth. This will be yet another group game that i shall stalk with impunity.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

MisoThe Mouse

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on July 09, 2017, 12:49:05 PM
Torc's, torc's torc's...

Green iz best!

*Google Torc* *Realizes I have been searching for a snake one for years*

So thaaaaats what their called....I'm in.

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Wolfling72 on July 09, 2017, 12:50:47 PM

You... can also join, you know. Plenty of room for characters and the GM is very permissive with the setting and the PCs in general.

I welcome you to join us, should you ever have the inclination to do so. :)

Dys Astyr

Quote from: Wolfling72 on July 09, 2017, 12:50:47 PM

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on July 09, 2017, 03:01:33 PM
You... can also join, you know. Plenty of room for characters and the GM is very permissive with the setting and the PCs in general.

Yessssss, join us... >_> More members for the Torc Gang.

Wolfling72

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on July 09, 2017, 03:01:33 PM

Ach, i want to, very friggin much. The idea just hits every one of my yes points. * nods* The issue is not having internet as yet and using my phone to make posts. I do not want to hold up an excellent premise.

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 09, 2017, 03:03:48 PM
Yessssss, join us... >_> More members for the Torc Gang.

Ah...but do you also offer cookies? This is very important.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Dys Astyr

Quote from: Wolfling72 on July 09, 2017, 03:07:22 PM
Ach, i want to, very friggin much. The idea just hits every one of my yes points. * nods* The issue is not having internet as yet and using my phone to make posts. I do not want to hold up an excellent premise.

Ah...but do you also offer cookies? This is very important.

Ah, phone posting is the worst... I say from my phone. XD

TheHangedOne

Well, the game has been in the planning process for quite some time, and it doesn't have a definite start date (this is not intended as a poke, just stating a fact); when will you be able to get internet, Wolfling? Depending on how close dates match up, you might be able to hop in after all.
Check out my poet tree!

Wolfling72

Quote from: Dys Astyr on July 09, 2017, 03:12:44 PM
Ah, phone posting is the worst... I say from my phone. XD

Oooh cookies.

I am posting to a large group game sooo it is do-able.

Quote from: TheHangedMan on July 09, 2017, 03:18:24 PM
Well, the game has been in the planning process for quite some time, and it doesn't have a definite start date (this is not intended as a poke, just stating a fact); when will you be able to get internet, Wolfling? Depending on how close dates match up, you might be able to hop in after all.

My interwebs will be up to par in a little more than 2 weeks. Such a large outlay of cash means that i have to divide it up out of two paychecks. ( blah). I am checking now to see what character types the group has thus far as i do not want to copy someone else's concept.

So tempting.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Wolfling72 on July 09, 2017, 03:28:01 PM
Oooh cookies.

I am posting to a large group game sooo it is do-able.

My interwebs will be up to par in a little more than 2 weeks. Such a large outlay of cash means that i have to divide it up out of two paychecks. ( blah). I am checking now to see what character types the group has thus far as i do not want to copy someone else's concept.

So tempting.

You could completely copy someone else's concept and make it your own. "Orc woman" "Barbarian male", etc... are fairly vague concepts anyway

A Painter

@Wolfing:Plus it says in the rules it's alright to have some overlap with character concepts.

But if it helps with your brainstorming I shall post my sheet here:

Player Name: A Painter
Character Name: Lyna Steele
Concept: Diplomat and Alchemist with a Roguish touch
Race: Half-elf, Thirty-seven

Place of origin: Reasmul
Appearance and Mannerisms: Lyn is proud and dignified, and it shows in the way she carries herself. While she stands at a merger 5’3”, she appears taller because of her confidence and posture. While she can be intimidating at first glance, she has a gentle manner of speaking and generally comes off as non-threatening, but has an oddly impish twinkle in her eyes.
Background: This Changeling never did get to know her Seelie father, he passed away when she was very young. Lyna and her mother lived with the rest of the Steele family, helping with the family business of smithing. It was here she became exposed to the manner of which their king liked to rule and nitpick. Some people found it irritating, but Lyna appreciated the crown’s involvement in its people’s lives.

Lyna inherited the human gift of adaptability. With observation, mimicry and her charisma she would find a way to act as a go-between for local businesses and the crown. Her job was to make sure the crown’s orders and micro-managing was well received by its people, and reporting back to the court. Being half-elf and a descendant of a respectable merchant family’s made her perfect for the job. Her only complaint would be her lack of involvement with the councils and the royalty due to her heritage.

Being a part of a family of craftsmen gave her access to a network of people with materials and knowledge, her status as a diplomat for the castle gave her extra pull in that network.
Once she left her family’s forge she picked up alchemy in her spare time. Lyna never did pick up smithing, but alchemy had a subtle art to it that appealed to her. Now, in a time when magic is dying, medicine and alchemy seem to be coming in to fashion. 

Skills (3-5):

• Diplomacy and Charm (Adept): Lyna deals with people of all walks of life. She can relate to nobility, the middle class and even the poor. Because of her manner of speaking and dress she does have some trouble with those of the lower class, that is until she gets over her pride and starts emulating her cousins.
  • Alchemy (Adept): Poisons and healing salves are her specialty. She carries a small collection of herbs with varying purposes on her person at all times.
  • Sleight of Hand (Apprentice): Lyna never would have volunteered to help on the Feychaser if she didn’t have a few tricks up her sleeve. Slipping sleeping potion in to drinks or hiding a poisoned needle in her hand when going for a handshake are a few things she can do. It helps that some of her jewellery are actually containers for these concoctions of hers.
  • Proficient(ish) with Knives (Novice): The knife is a last resort if she was to be cornered. Her cousins taught her how to wield one, but she’s no expert.

Strengths:

• Charm: Lyna is good at empathising and charming people. Under the right circumstances she can intimidate as well, but she leaves that as a last resort. She believes it’s easier to catch flies with honey.
  • Manipulation: Because Lyna is physical weak and acts naive and sweet, she sets up the platform to be taken for granted by friends and foes alike. She takes full advantage of that.
  • Steadfast: Duty is important, and she committed herself to aiding those trapped in the war, and she is loyal to the refugees and her party.

Flaws:

• Combat: Nipping conflict in the bud is what she’s good at, be it through charming people or underhanded means. She isn’t  an actual fight.
  • Chaotic: For all the effort she puts in to being proper and a voice of reason, her morality is quite confusing, even to her. Sometimes she wonders if she is actually part Unseelie.
  • Wrath: As a diplomat she is used to handling difficult personalities, but there is still a line that can be crossed. When she feels slighted, revenge becomes a priority and clouds her judgement.

Ons and Offs: o&o

Ontan

Quote from: A Painter on July 09, 2017, 09:17:07 PM
@Wolfing:Plus it says in the rules it's alright to have some overlap with character concepts.

But if it helps with your brainstorming I shall post my sheet here:

Excellent timing - I was just about to PM you. Lyna is approved!

Quote from: Wolfling72 on July 09, 2017, 03:28:01 PM
I am checking now to see what character types the group has thus far as i do not want to copy someone else's concept.

So tempting.

What GMC and Painter said.

When it comes to duplication vs diversity of character roles, I really feel there’s no wrong answer. If characters have duplicate skill sets, it means they can actually do stuff together, and they have something to bond over. On the other hand, some people like to have an area of exclusivity (such as being the primary party healer), as it can make the character feel more distinctive, and also expands the party’s range of abilities.

It’s one thing when you’re playing a systems game, where certain checkboxes needed to be ticked for a balanced party… but that’s not a problem in this case. Your character could have no useful adventuring skills whatsoever, and still make meaningful contributions to the story solely through their social interactions, so don’t stress too much about character concepts.

Quote from: TheHangedMan on July 09, 2017, 03:18:24 PM
Well, the game has been in the planning process for quite some time, and it doesn't have a definite start date (this is not intended as a poke, just stating a fact)

Consider me poked nonetheless  ;)

I’d really like to get things started sooner rather than later; there comes a point where we risk losing early players because things are taking so long. Thankfully, the story lends itself well to people joining at later points: given the number of unspecified volunteers, crewmen, and refugees, there’s no reason why people can’t drop in after the game starts. And on that note...

GM Announcement:

The OOC thread is now up and running!

In anticipation of the game launch, can all approved players please post there with their character’s start location – it’ll be aboard the Feychaser for most, if not all characters. However, this also allows me to double-check that everyone’s still active.

Dys Astyr

Feychaser for Dakka. ;D Probably pesterng the sailors to explain the mechanics of their trade to her. XD

Ontan

Quick edit for clarity: Players with approved characters, please post in the OOC Thread  ;)

Wolfling72

Query? What God or Goddess grants healing spells?? Thanks bunches. (I gave in and am even now working on a thing)
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

A Painter

Quote from: Wolfling72 on July 10, 2017, 12:28:07 AM
Query? What God or Goddess grants healing spells?? Thanks bunches. (I gave in and am even now working on a thing)
If you can't wait for Otan to answer you can also make up your own deity for your character to worship ;D It's allowed in the rules. The god of thieves was one HangedMan cooked up himself.

Ontan

Quote from: Wolfling72 on July 10, 2017, 12:28:07 AM

Given that it's a fairly common theme for a fantasy deity, I deliberately left that blank so that players could make one of their own. Feel free to do so! It's basically a first come, first serve basis to pad out the pantheon.

Speaking of all things godly, another pro-Cull goddess has wandered into the worldbuilding thread. Gwinarip is the diety of truth, justice, and duty, though she also embodies most tribal concepts of honour.

Addendum: Seeing as it's a core part of cleric archetypes, I'll say that all deities can provide basic healing magic in a manner befitting their domain (Baelner clerics could cauterize wounds, Tassimela has semi-vampiric spells that function like a blood transfusion, and so on). However, if you wanted to make a specific healing god(dess), their spells would be much more refined and generally have fewer drawbacks (on both the caster and the patient).

Wolfling72

Quote from: Ontan on July 10, 2017, 01:29:41 AM
Given that it's a fairly common theme for a fantasy deity, I deliberately left that blank so that players could make one of their own. Feel free to do so! It's basically a first come, first serve basis to pad out the pantheon.

Speaking of all things godly, another pro-Cull goddess has wandered into the worldbuilding thread. Gwinarip is the diety of truth, justice, and duty, though she also embodies most tribal concepts of honour.

Addendum: Seeing as it's a core part of cleric archetypes, I'll say that all deities can provide basic healing magic in a manner befitting their domain (Baelner clerics could cauterize wounds, Tassimela has semi-vampiric spells that function like a blood transfusion, and so on). However, if you wanted to make a specific healing god(dess), their spells would be much more refined and generally have fewer drawbacks (on both the caster and the patient).

Ach! Thank you ever so much!! I have most of her finished. Will send her along for you to peruse at some point today.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Ontan on July 09, 2017, 09:47:14 PM
Quick edit for clarity: Players with approved characters, please post in the OOC Thread  ;)

Where dat OOC thread at

Ontan

It's linked in the GM update, and also on the front page (along with other game links).

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Ontan on July 10, 2017, 06:48:27 AM
It's linked in the GM update, and also on the front page (along with other game links).

O shiiiiiiii

*goes to OOC thread*

Chronoclasm

Look! Look everybody! I made this!!
"Being with you and not being with you is the only way I have to measure time." ― Jorge Luis Borges

Dys Astyr

Giantmutantcrab

Welcome aboard, Ungu!

Poor guy. I wanna give him a big hug.

Dys Astyr

A Painter

Now I wish I made a character who was genuinely nice so Un'gulachshay could get the love he deserves!

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: A Painter on July 11, 2017, 11:17:57 AM
Now I wish I made a character who was genuinely nice so Un'gulachshay could get the love he deserves!

Folks, I just got an idea.

Linara's character is rummaging through a cabin to get some food. She gets surprised by Un'gulachshay who just wanted to stop by and say hello. She runs off, surprising Dakka who was teaching basic science to Lugg and Björn. Lyna rolls her eyes at the whole scene so much she can see her own brain.

And the blind warrior? Well...

He didn't see any of that coming, did he?

https://www.myinstants.com/instant/yeah/

Dys Astyr

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on July 11, 2017, 11:22:03 AM
Folks, I just got an idea.

Linara's character is rummaging through a cabin to get some food. She gets surprised by Un'gulachshay who just wanted to stop by and say hello. She runs off, surprising Dakka who was teaching basic science to Lugg and Björn. Lyna rolls her eyes at the whole scene so much she can see her own brain.

And the blind warrior? Well...

He didn't see any of that coming, did he?

https://www.myinstants.com/instant/yeah/

Slowly succumbs to hysterical giggling and wheezing for breath Ye gods yes! A masterwork of a scene that would make Shakespeare himself quiver with envy.

Especially if the scene ends with a sailor screaming yeah because he has just won a round of dice yet also perfectly punctuating the amazing piece of literary drama.

TheHangedOne

Just stares at everyone.

...What have I gotten myself into..?

More seriously, Caecus will probably get along quite well with the Homunculus.
Check out my poet tree!

Giantmutantcrab

Dys Astyr

This story is dangerous to my health. I just know that I am going to be drinking something and checking this thread and then burst into laughter and drown sitting in front of my computer. XD

Giantmutantcrab

BanalWhimsy

Hello everybody! A friend and I were wondering if there were still openings for 2 more characters, as we'd be interested in joining. We're relatively new to roleplay, so if you'd rather us not join due to that or there being too many people already, or any other reason really we understand.

Zordom

Hi! I am said friend of Whimsy, we just got approved and thought that this looks really cool! :D

Giantmutantcrab

Banal, Zordom, welcome!

The GameMaster is Ontan. You two can PM him for ideas and suggestions for characters. As of right now I think Ontan wanted around 6 to 10 players, so you seem to be in the sweet spot.

The rules are fairly open and easy to understand. I would suggest that you go to the first page of this thread and check out Ontan's rules, as well as the current information on the world.

Then it's just a question of creating characters and submitting them to him. Don't feel bad or anything if he asks you to change a few things or tweak some details. That's how a proper group is created.

And welcome to E. I am Giantmutantcrab, usually called GMC. A pleasure to meet both of you.

Chronoclasm

Don't make too many plans for Un'gulachshay! He hasn't been approved just yet. :P

Though if he does join in the adventure, I have a feeling your characters are going to like him less than you do! ;D Or at least, you know, dislike the idea of being left alone in the same room with him.

I liked the picture of Un'gul on a boat. Just look at that bright smile. He's such a lady killer.

... oops. Phrasing.

If it wasn't already obvious, Nosferatu was definitely the "image" I was going with when envisioning Un'gulachshay.

Ontan

Wolfling: D'Nez is approved! ... But you probably already knew that. Really, I'm saying this for the benefit of everyone else, so they know there's a new addition to the character thread.

Chronoclasm: PM'd! Un'gulachshay is also approved! Thanks for those changes.

BanalWhimsy & Zordom: Welcome to the forums! As GMC said, there are still a few spots left, so feel free to send in a character sheet. 

Zordom

Alright, here is Elias! Hope you guys like him, PM with anything that should be changed!

Player Name:  Zordom

Character Name:  Elias Tharro

Concept: Elven ranged specialist

Race, Age: Wood Elf, 32

Place of origin: Dreyara, an Elven village in the Western jungle

Appearance and Mannerisms: Elias tends to wear tight fitting clothes that promote silence while moving, trying his best to keep them clean to avoid being looked down upon. He carries a wooden crossbow with iron firing mechanisms, and almost always has several pouches on his waist filled with homemade weapons, such as caltrops or smoke bombs. Wary of showing weakness in front of strangers, Elias carries himself with an air of confidence and levity. In times of seriousness, he sheds his carefree spirit and exhibits an icy stare which reveals a calculating mind, ready for anything.

Background: Growing up in a secluded village, Elias had an easy life hunting wild animals and gathering herbs for the community. Lazing around atop tree branches while not spending time with his childhood sweetheart, Elias thought he had his life figured out, that is, until one fell night when the cull swept through and razed his village. Pulled aside by one of the elders, he was instructed to guide some of the children to safety. Gathering what children he could, Elias barely escaped with his life. His family and sweetheart were not as lucky. He had heard of a promise land to the east, where different races can gather without fear of discrimination, so with a small group of elven children he traveled to Reamsul.

Once they reached safety, Elias found the children a good home, and immediately devoted himself to learning everything he can to combat the cull. Finding whatever work he could, Elias figured out how to create small, albeit effective weapons that would help him gain distance between attackers to give him breathing room for ranged attacks. Trading in his trusty wooden bow for a more powerful crossbow, Elias sought an opportunity to test himself outside the safety of Reamsul.

Learning about the Feychaser and its noble mission, Elias vowed he would not allow the demons to destroy any more families, especially if he could do something to stop it. He sets off into the unknown with the hopes that the world will be better because of his actions.

Skills: Crossbow (In his spare time, Elias practiced with his new crossbow from various distances and angles) (Journeyman)

Smoke Bomb (As he specialized in ranged attacks, he would need ways to distance himself in case he was surrounded by enemies) (Apprentice)

Caltrops (Another method to attempt to control the battlefield and where opponents could tread) (Apprentice)

Hidden dagger (Elias hides a dagger among his clothes, he can use it in a pinch if it is his last option) (Novice)

Strengths: Strategist - He can survey his surroundings to perceive vantage points and weakness in his opponents

Level Headed - In the face of adversity, he is able to maintain a calm composure.

Kind Hearted - He will always lend a helping hand to those in need.

Flaws: Demonic anger - Around demons he gets unnaturally angry, and he distrusts anything with demonic qualities.

Loner - Used to being alone, he is nervous around groups of unknown people.

Ons/Offs:

BanalWhimsy

Here's Zuul'Jinn! Hope he's a good fit for the group, PM me anything that you've got concerns about! :)
Player Name: BanalWhimsy
Character Name: Zuul'jinn Tizali
Concept: Refugee Witch
Race (Age): Half-Orc (Half-troll) 27

Place of origin: Hokima, a relatively isolated tribe of trolls in The West

Appearance and Mannerisms: Thanks to his orc and troll heritage, Zuul’jinn stands at 7’3” tall, weighing in at just under 340 lbs. His orcish genetics definitely stand out the most, with his thickly muscled frame, huge stature, protruding tusks, and golden eyes, though the troll in him shows in his purple-ish complexion and face shape, giving him a slightly smaller jaw than a full-blooded orc. His overall appearance is often described as “exotically attractive” by people of other races, though the remark is often met with slight annoyance. He always carries his athame, his harp, a staff, and several cloth bags and vials of equipment for work with herbs, poultices, teas, poisons, etc.

Zuul’jinn carries himself confidently, with a presence that seems to take up all of the space in a room. He’s usually smiling, and treats others with a friendliness and compassion that usually surprises people, given the stereotypes surrounding his race. He’s usually very polite, and it’s difficult to upset him to any large degree, though when he does lose his temper, it’s rather explosive. While generally kind and friendly, he has a habit of emotionally distancing himself from others, usually unbeknownst to the other person, due to fear of losing somebody close to him again.

Background: Zuul’jinn was born to the Hokima tribe in The West, a tribe inhabited mainly by trolls with the occasional orc resident. Born to a troll father and an orc mother, Zuul’jinn was one of a relatively small subset of the population formed by a transracial union. Hokima, being known for its notable coven, astronomical research, and relative pacificity in the tribal wars, lended itself much more to being a neutral power, primarily assisting any tribe that needed help to get back to its feet and minding its own business when not assisting those who came seeking help. At a young age, Zuul’jinn began training to become a member of the coven after showing a high degree of magical aptitude. He was taught magic, herbology, traditional spell casting, and the tribe’s lore day in and day out for years until being allowed to finally join the coven as an initiate witch. After initiation, he rose rapidly through the ranks of the coven, achieving the status of Elder at a surprising, though not record-breaking, 25. As an Elder, he led the coven in spells of his specialities, namely Divination, Curses, Enchantment, and Glamour. He helped provide for the people of the tribe, assuming an almost fatherly role for many of the younger members.

When the news of the culling reached their tribe, he and the other elders convened to decide the best option to ensure the survival of the tribe. Eventually, they settled on a series of teleportation spells to move the entire tribe to Reamsul, though they wouldn’t be able to take much in the way of belongings with them. As the village prepared for the spell, Zuul’jinn packed quickly and lightly in order to have the time to help other younger members of the tribe get everything in order.

Once the tribe was prepared, the entire tribe convened in a mass surrounded by the elders, who began the ritual workings to cast the teleportation spell to save the tribe. Unfortunately, time was shorter than they had expected, and the demonic horde reached the tribe before the spell was finished. Knowing the tribe faced certain death without the spell, the village chieftain activated the unfinished spell in a vain hope of saving as much of the tribe as she could. The backlash of setting off the unfinished spell killed her instantly, and while the spell partially worked, many of the tribe were only partially teleported, tearing their bodies apart across space. Zuul’jinn and the others lucky enough to survive the spell were scattered far and wide across the land, isolated from the rest of their tribe. Zuul’jinn wept for the lost members of his tribe, though knowing that searching for them would almost certainly be fruitless and only result in his own demise, continued on to Reamsul where he encountered the the Feychaser. Wanting to save others as he couldn’t before, he joined their mission in hopes of protecting others from the fate that befell his tribe.

Skills:
- Divination and Scrying (Adept)- The first type of magic Zuul'jinn ever learned was Divination magic, quickly followed by Scrying, both of which he proved to have a strong aptitude for, his readings and prophecies very rarely being proven false. Using Tarot cards, bone casting, or tea-reading as mediums for his magic, he's capable of reading into general future events, such as a coming catastrophe or impending change, or more specifically into a person's life. Similarly, using a crystal ball, a fire, smoke, a mirror, or another reflective surface as a magic conduit, he's able to see into the past, present, or future of events, people, or objects, though seeing into future events has proven to be spectacularly difficult since the start of the wasting. As such, this type of magic is mostly useful for gaining information about locations, objects, past events, and people, though it does take some time to cast the magic and glean the knowledge wanted.

- Enchanting- Glamours and Curses (Adept)- Learned after his initiation to the coven, Zuul'jinn became proficient in casting glamours and black magic. Using glamours, Zuul'jinn can affect the appearance or perception of an object, person, area, etc. Common uses for this include beauty spells, intimidation spells, or stealth spells. These spells work similarly to enchantment spells, and work by either actually changing the appearance of an object or person (which is more difficult to do, and wears off faster), or changing how people perceive the person or object, IE making it difficult for people to notice something or making them find somebody more beautiful or scarier than they otherwise would.
Cursing follows a similar principle as glamours, but serves a different purpose: punishing or maligning somebody something. Curses are commonly separated into three tiers, depending on their severity: Jinxes, Hexes, and Curses, in ascending order of severity. Common Jinxes include clumsiness, absentmindedness, itchiness, or other relatively minor inconveniences. Hexes often include effects such as tiredness, confusion, paranoia, or misfortune. Curses include such things as exhaustion, disease, sensory deprivation of some kind, delirium, or persistent hallucinations. Curses placed on people act as enchantments for some time, though are not permanent, lasting an amount of time depending on the amount of magic put into the spell. Curses on objects affect whoever claims or takes ownership of an item, or a target specified by a taglock, a form of identity that denotes a target which is then placed in or on the cursed vessel. For example, a person may be cursed by placing a lock of their hair, some blood, an item of theirs, or even a slip of paper with their name on it, into a witch jar (A cursed jar, often filled with nails, urine, or something else like that). The less personal the taglock is to the target, the more difficult the connection to the target is to maintain or create. A name or item makes a target very difficult to curse for any length of time, while a sample of blood, flesh, or to a lesser extent, hair creates for a very strong connection.

- Herbology- Adept- Knows uses of many herbs, berries, etc. and their various uses whether it be poultices, teas, poisons, potions, etc.

- Musical- Journeyman- Knows how to play the mandolin, and is rather good at dancing and singing. Learned the mandolin for helping keep time for the coven’s chants and more musical spell casting and rituals. Learned to dance and sing for ceremonial dances, songs, and coven rituals as well, as music and dance were a large part of the tribe’s culture.

- Hybrid Physique- Novice- Due to both his trollish heritage and his dance training, Zuul’jinn is relatively nimble and quick on his feet considering his almost entirely orcish physique.

Strengths:
- Very level-headed, doesn’t freak out in a bad situation

- Generally patient and kind, understanding and accepting of other’s beliefs. Pretty nonjudgmental, and often becomes a paternal figure to others.

- Is a fast learner, and memorizes things quickly.

- Has a large repertoire of utility spells

Flaws:
- Isn’t much of an actual fighter. He’s barely trained in combat magic, and has no idea how to actually fight.

- Often adheres too strictly to tradition. It’s what he knows, and what he falls back on by default.

- Is too eager to prove that magic is a viable answer to anything. He’ll often try to use magic for anything he can’t immediately come up with a mundane solution for.

Ons and Offs: Offs: Bathroom stuff, NonCon

MisoThe Mouse

Oh yeah 7 foot 3? More people for Lugg to challenge   >:) 

BanalWhimsy

I don't think Zuul would last too long in a fight with Lugg lol, though I think Zuul'd be a lot more into being friends with him or possibly even flirting with him rather than fighting

Giantmutantcrab

7 foot 3?

I know who we're going to use as a lookout.

"How's the weather up there? Hurr hurr"

A Painter

He'll be able to pick Lyna up with his finger xD

Ontan

Zordom & BanalWhimsy: Thank you both for the character sheets. I’ve sent each of you a PM!

Giantmutantcrab

King Kull

Still looking for players? What could be a good character? Maybe a ranger, wilderness, sneaky type?
Mats

"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."

The Vessel

Also interested to know if you're still looking for players! :)

MisoThe Mouse

Quote from: BanalWhimsy on July 13, 2017, 01:46:54 AM
I don't think Zuul would last too long in a fight with Lugg lol, though I think Zuul'd be a lot more into being friends with him or possibly even flirting with him rather than fighting

Well both fighting and flirting might involve fisticuffs with Lugg  ;D. *waits for GMC to find the dirty joke I can't seem to come up with*

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: MisoThe Mouse on July 13, 2017, 07:23:58 PM
Well both fighting and flirting might involve fisticuffs with Lugg  ;D. *waits for GMC to find the dirty joke I can't seem to come up with*

Uhh... They can both involve fisting!

Sorry, brain-dead.

MisoThe Mouse

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on July 13, 2017, 07:33:54 PM

Sorry, brain-dead.

That was a strong 6/10 lol. We'll try again next episode.

BanalWhimsy

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on July 13, 2017, 07:33:54 PM

Sorry, brain-dead.
Quote from: MisoThe Mouse on July 13, 2017, 07:23:58 PM
I'm not saying Zuul might be into that, but he might be into that *wink wonk*

MisoThe Mouse

Quote from: BanalWhimsy on July 13, 2017, 07:37:33 PM
I'm not saying Zuul might be into that, but he might be into that *wink wonk*

Hahaha we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I usually play Lugg as Sexuality:"fuck it why not"

Ontan

Zordom & BanalWhimsy: Your characters are approved!
whimsy: Also approved! Though having two players called whimsy is going to cause all kinds of trouble, hehe.

King Kull & The Vessel: I’m loathe to say it, but the character roster is looking pretty full for the time being – we’re up to 11 characters, and a spot has been reserved for 2 more who’ve been PM’ing me. However, I’ll be reopening recruitment sometime after the game starts, so watch this space. And until then…

GM Announcement: Non-player participation.
(though this also applies to players)

First and foremost, I’m absolutely stunned by the amount of interest expressed for the game – I really didn’t expect Feychaser to garner so much, so thank you everyone for giving this thread a little bit of love. Character applications are closed for now (excepting those who’ve already PM’d me), but player attrition is an unavoidable part of any roleplay, so I’ll be reopening recruitment down the line in order for players to drop in / out, especially around the start of each chapter.

If you haven’t got a character but would still like to be involved, there are a couple of ways of doing that:

1) Lore contributions:
If you’ve got an idea for a monster, deity, or some hideous form of peril to inflict on the band of heroes, don’t be shy about letting me know!

2) Dilemmas and polls:
At key points for each chapter, the refugee band will be presented with plot-critical dilemmas about how to proceed. If you’ve played Banner Saga, most Bioware games, or even those classic choose-your-adventure books, then you've probably got a good idea what to expect. It’ll generally pertain to matters that affect the entire refugee group, such as which route to take, or whether to allow new people to join when supplies are running low.   

The voting process itself will be OOC, and non-players are more than welcome to join in: when it comes to the IC consequences, these votes will represent the collective will of the Feychaser’s crew, the masses of refugees, and other non-specific NPCs. The idea here is that players can still be involved even if they can’t play a character at a particular point in time. I also want to make sure this thread stays open to the E forums as a whole.

In the interests of keeping the GM somewhat sane, these dilemmas will only have 2 or 3 pre-determined options. This is mostly an OOC consideration, so that I can plan / write ahead.

If people have any thoughts or feedback on this idea, feel free to post below (or send a PM).

Dys Astyr

Quote from: MisoThe Mouse on July 13, 2017, 07:51:33 PM
Hahaha we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I usually play Lugg as Sexuality:"fuck it why not"

A life philosophy and famous last words.

Shado

Hello there 

>:)

Player Name: Shado
Character Name: Yoselin Devereau
Concept: Ms. Walking Contradiction
Race (Age): half-demon, 22

Place of origin: Reamsul, capital city

Appearance and Mannerisms: Yos certainly dresses and carries herself like a lady. She is regal and mysterious if nothing else. Note that she normally wears a veil or hood to cover the big ram's horns, as they tend to unnerve people. Her eyes also have the same effect from up close, as they are ruby red and have no iris or pupil.
Yoselin is normally detached, and seems aloof or even apathetic.. but she's learned to distance herself, and be more of the silent observer. That doesn't mean she won't take decisive action when needed, however. Once she does have something to say, it's usually important.

Background:
Yoselin is the product of a greedy, gluttonous man whose folly was purchasing the services of a Succubus. The man was too unimpressed with every potential sexual encounter money could afford him, and so he decided it was only the best for him. He sank a considerable amount of wealth to find someone to summon the demon to him, and in the end, his investment was to die for.
Yoselin was raised indoors under the tight supervision of her personal army of nursemaids and house servants. She only recently decided to leave home after spending a year cloistered in what is left of her home, after the inevitable death of her father. She knows her mother is out there somewhere; but demons cannot speak the language of this world, only hear and understand it.
With what is left of her father's fortune, she's decided to do whatever she can to help the victims of the Cull. She's unsure exactly why she's decided to do so in a personal capacity, but she feels some kind of draw to the mission of the Feychaser.

Skills (3-5):
Academia - journeyman. Yoselin was tutored throughout her young life by many teachers and instructors. She has the benefits of knowledge and education that most common folk don't get. She can read, write, and speak several different languages, and tell you how many things work in the 'bigger picture'. She knows many popular plays and can perform solo's on several different instruments on demand. Her scientific and sociological know-how have put many of her hopeful young suitors to sleep at the dinner table.

Swordplay- apprentice. Instruction of how to wield a saber was more of a sport than actual lessons to defend herself, but it's surprising how that muscle-memory of how to hold and swing a blade does actually become useful in a real fight.

'Succubus magic'- novice.  Yos only barely has an inkling of the ability she has. During sexual contact, she can initiate a transfer of magical essences. If she knew how to control it, she could drain other mages dry, or give an ally a great boost of magic power.

Strengths: Planner, critical thinker, eager to learn. Yoselin tries to go into any situation with hopes for the best, but plans for the worst. She generally has a good grasp of who to observe, or what questions to ask. If information is a weapon, she tries to stay well-armed.
Rich and refined, but not pompous. It's clear Yos came from nobility. Her status and wealth offer advantages some have never known in life, and she knows this.
Forgiving soul. Yos knows what it's like to be judged entirely on your appearance or social station. She is willing to look past the exterior and give people a chance to prove what's in their hearts.

Flaws:
Born this way. Being a half-demon has made everything an uphill struggle at times in the past, and Yos has no doubt it will lead to trouble in the future.
High expectations. Yos grew up with strict discipline, and a keen eye for what is considered presentable. She condones laziness and wasteful behavior, and hates filthy surroundings.
Bad at love. A real grown-up relationship is something that Yoselin has had very little luck with. She is not an easy one to court, hence her still being unmarried. She knows full well she may be expecting too much, being a noblewoman looking for the kind of love that money cannot buy.

Ons and Offs:
Off- extreme gore, toilet play, character death/disfigurement.
On- NC/Dub-con. Light bond, spanking, biting, ect.
Wubba-lubba-dub-dub

Ontan

Shado: As discussed in our earlier PMs, I kept a space reserved for your character. Yoselin is approved!

Feychaser has officially begun!

I'll be tidying up the treads a little, but I'm thrilled to say that the IC story is now underway. There'll be a brief round of prelude posts for players to find their feet, and then the story will be jumping forward to the Feychaser's arrival in Twin Bridges. I've seen a lot of roleplays lose momentum in these early meet-and-greet stages, so I'm keen to keep it short and sweet before moving on to the main plot.

Ser

*plops in the character fashionably late*

Player Name: Ser
Character Name: Marius Heide
Concept: Unconventional Agent of Imperial Idealism; The Smiling Coward Assassin
Race (Age): Human; 29
Place of origin: Zhukoya

Appearance: Notched at just above 5'7, and slightly too skinny for his height, at first glance Marius Heide appears about as average as average can be. Voluminous dark brown hair curls and cascades across his shoulders, contrasting sharply with his startlingly white skin. Red blotches across his face and arms betray his inability to properly protect his porcelain skin from the sun; such is the curse of one born with the blood of the far north, where snow reigns supreme and the sun is nothing more than a rare treat. Bright blue eyes glimmer with an untold joy, betraying a childlike sense of wonder that has drawn his lips ever in a disarmingly charming smile. Clothes are of a modest yet whimsical nature during the social events, while on the road he tends towards very light fabric beneath simple leather armor as he has yet to properly acclimate to the warmth of the south. A simple dirk hangs from a belt on his right, whilst a rapier of curiously high handiwork lays to the left. Naturally, he is never without his trusty composite shortbow and leather quiver full of finely made arrows.

Mannerisms: Obnoxiously inquisitive and ever the optimist, Marius has made quite a name for himself in the short time since The Cull. Being one for flare when in the social spotlight, his cadence and almost unwitting humor oft brings a short lived glimmer of joy to those around him, if only for but a moment before the dark cruelty of reality breaks through his illusion. This uncaring reality is what draws him to be the eccentric, as making others laugh brings him a sense of escapism. Indeed, escapism is something he's also been known for. All too often, once things get rough, Marius is the first to flee when faced with anything less than a laugh. Insults are hard enough to endure for the man with such childlike views fueled by his own daftness; open hostility or, god forbid, a fight or duel with actual weapons would simply just not do! His own weapons are mostly for show, after all. Aside from his bow of course, but that is never with him unless he’s traveling or closing in on his mark as it’s too unsightly for his daudy social elegance. Above all he's a man who keeps up appearances, even if that appearance is simply disappearance.

Background: Marius Heide was born to relative wealth and power, enjoying a life of contrasting opulence and competition. From a young age, the Imperial ideologies of lawfulness and structure were impressed upon him from his mother, while his socialite of a father sowed the seeds of etiquette and social grace. Both parents hold high ranking offices within the vast Imperial Army, adding to the level of expectation placed upon all seven Heide children. Of the seven boys, Marius is the youngest and what most would call the runt. Shying away from the shows of physical dominance that his brothers favored, he spent a lot of time in his father's library learning all he could on anything and everything. He learned many a thing and more during his time with his father, but his mother was ever more a driving force for shaping the young boy. She insisted that he follow the same regimen as his elder brothers from day one, disregarding his physical differences and penchant to disappearing at the first sign of discord. So slug along within the daily routine he did, if only to gain favor with his mother so as to spend more time in the library with his father.

Once it was time for him to enter the military for training at the age of 10, Marius was quite concerned and altogether beside himself. He had wanted to forgo the entire experience and join his father in the chambers of office, but both parents impressed upon the boy that even those who sat and delegate all day needed at the very least the most basic of training. Indeed, most of those who sat as council had earned their place through heroic acts of war and conquest upon the battlefield. So the young boy set his jaw and slugged through those ten, arduous years of training. After the initial testing of the first year was done, he was sent to the ranged squad where only the lightest of step and most keen of aim were placed. There, he was trained in all manner of specialized combat, focusing on the subtle and deadly arts of stealth and range. Training to be an archer and proficiently wielding the tools of trade held the greater part of his remaining years, where he took a penchant to sniping with a composite shortbow. The final two years then more heavily introduced exercises on honing their ability to blend in with both the shadows and the crowds, which weeded out the simple soldiers from those who showed the skills needed to be a true master of subterfuge and infiltration - few were ever chosen to be an assassin, and Marius was quite surprised that he had been deemed worthy. He was taken alone and in silence in the dead of night, whisked away from his squad while on an exercise in the mountains. His family was told that he had died an honorable death in that particularly arduous exercise, as is protocol. To this day, he hasn’t seen his parents and only hears whispers of how his family fares.

At the age of twenty, sent all across the continent, Marius continued his training as an apprentice under the tutelage of his long lost uncle, of all people. Ecstatic to be with a member of the family, Marius threw himself into the training and tried his damndest to be the best he could. For his allotted years abroad he learned from and emulated his uncle’s personalized tactics while spending what time he could in whatever library and pub he came across, keen to gain some first hand information on whatever land the duo traveled to on their assignments. There were more than a few fumbles along the way, and his tendency to run when things became difficult quickly became the bane of his uncle’s teachings. Still, after a time that was much too long for the average apprentice, Marius found his feet while in the real world and his confidence slowly grew. Once his uncle deemed him ready, Marius went out on his own.

A newly minted assassin, Marius has traveled the realms taking out marks with zeal. Never once has he questioned his path, nor seen anything wrong with killing another. He’s a small cog in the great machine that is the Empire, and he fulfills his duty quite happily. His travels have lead him to the east, where he has found himself within the realm of the Seelie at this most odd point in history. The Cull caught everyone by surprise and has thrown the world into chaos, yet Marius continues on his merry way, searching for something fun while he awaits his next task.

Skills (3-5):
Bolt Ace (adept) - His time spent in the military was tailored to his small frame and surprisingly keen aim, as well as his own cowardly self preservation, by staying as far away from melee as possible. While trained equally in all manner of ranged weapons, from the simple sling to the rare art of strategically thrown black powder firebombs, his preference and familiarity leans towards the composite shortbow- all the better to silently snipe from the shadows.
Sneaky Son-of-a-Bitch (adept) - Again, his training in the military focused and honed his light step and ease of blending in. Easily keeping to both the shadows and the edges of social parties, he is nigh undetectable when he deems it necessary. One moment, he is the life of the party with all eyes on him. The next, he's disappeared within the crowd, only to be found behind his mark with a dagger to their back and a polite shove toward the doorway, smiling all the time.
A Little Bit Of Everything (journeyman) - Marius has a passing knowledge in just about every subject imaginable - enough to keep conversation started and flowing, at least. Never able to concentrate and study for long periods of time, he is a master of no particular subject and boasts quantity over quality. Besides, he just has to get someone started and he’ll learn more as he goes.
Eagle Eye (journeyman) - Highly perceptive, Marius takes special note of his surroundings with an almost photographic memory. He is able to memorize where items lay before inspecting a desk, and can tell you exactly when the next guard shift will be. Everything has a place and time, and if he’s seen it, Marius knows it.
Fencing, Smencing (novice) - Marius never was one for close-quarter combat. However, his training forced him to learn the basics, and he can make due with his rapier and dirk when in a pinch. Well, as long as said pinch is his knife sliding along the throat of his mark. Anything more than a surprise attack, and he's next to useless against anyone with training. His only real ability is that of a defensive fight, and even then he's nothing special.

Strengths:
Imperial Observation - Marius spent many years in the military, and the need for both a strict routine and meticulous organization has permeated his life. Although he can seem quite chaotic, he actually has a very specific routine that is followed every single day. He also has a keen eye and sharp memory for objects and others' routines, as it’s been ingrained everything has its place and time. Once he notices that something is out of sorts, he makes a mental note and quite often he's the first to find a lost item or point out a deviation from one's typical schedule.
Never Give Up - Once his sights have been set on something, Marius will stop at nothing until his goal is achieved. It can cause a bit of a backlash since he can become quite obsessive, but few can deny his drive. His willingness to do just about anything to get a job done lends itself nicely to his profession.
Tried-and-True - Marius is a patriot through and through. He follows the Empire’s ideals to a fault, and his loyalty to the Imperials is never in question. This extends to whomever he happens to be friendly with, and will do whatever he can to help those he deems a companion. Unless, of course, his life is on the line. He is a coward, after all, and his loyalty to himself trumps all other ties.
A Friendly Face - Marius couldn’t care less who you are, what you do, what you’ve done, or where you come from. He’ll try to get along with everyone, even those who he’s been ordered to kill. He’s just that kinda guy, ya know?

Flaws:
Me First! - Both a personal strength and a character flaw, Marius will do anything to save his own skin. He may be jovial, but he is craven to a fault. Never one to face confrontation head on, he will sneak away and let others deal with the fallout of any situation he deems unsavory. A friend is only a friend in so far as his life isn’t in danger.
He Really Needs a Filter - As charming as he may be, Marius doesn't quite grasp every social nuance. A bit daft at times, he speaks up even when it would be prudent not to. He is just as likely to spill secrets as to call out a dishonest shopkeep, and will even rather loudly point out that that coin his friend just pocketed belongs to someone else. Honesty is the best policy, after all. Well, most of the time it is. He will never tell a soul exactly what he does for a living due to the imprint of his strict training.
Cut Twice, Then Measure - Acting upon impulse, Marius has a habit of acting first and thinking later. When able to slow himself down and think about things, he can make some really good decision and follow tactics he’s learned while in the military, but more oft than not he just goes with the first thought that pops up and follows it with zeal.
Frighteningly Focused Fixation - Well, zeal is one thing and doesn’t quite cut it- the way Marius goes about things transcends even the highest dedication of the pious. He tends to become hyperfocused on his goal, whatever it may be, ignorant of anything else going on around him that’s not directly involved. This obsession extends to his daily routine, which if interrupted will prompt a quite uncharacteristic explosion of anger.

Ons and Offs:

Amarlo

Still accepting characters? And any particular archetypes needed? (Would be playing a female, btw)  :-)

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Ontan

Sorry for the belated reply!

Recruitment is closed for the time being: Ser sent me a PM with his character concept some time ago, asking me to reserve a slot for him. However, player attrition is an unavoidable part of any roleplay, if only due to unexpected RL demands, so I’d be happy to start a waitlist if you’re still interested.

As far as archetypes go, feel free to browse the Accepted Character thread at your convenience. There aren’t any limits on roles, even if a niche is already taken (e.g. healer, berserker, etc.), but I would say there’s a conspicuous absence of traditional fireball-ey mages.