Any Twisted Metal fans?

Started by okintsukoro, February 23, 2019, 12:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okintsukoro

I've been listening to the Twisted Metal (2012) soundtrack and it's really gotten me into the mood of thinking about the deadliest demolition derby.

Anyone ever played/watched someone play a game from the series? Favorite characters/cars? Thoughts on story threads, or even the meta behind the games?

Formless

Twisted metal 2 got me into the franchise. Driving on top of New York's skyscrapers, or in the fragile Antarctic fields. Not to mention Dark Tooth ... quite scary the first time I saw him.

Thumper was my favorite, though in the mayhem of Holland's map he can't last.

Though 2 was quite over the top with its destructible environments, I noticed how they sacrificed that in favor of slicker and smoother gameplay.

2012's was fun, though its online didn't last for too long.

I hope a new installment comes out, though doubtful.

okintsukoro

Considering How I don't think David Jaffe is no longer involved, things don't look good for Twisted Metal lasting. Which really is a shame, cause I think it can get the right mix of dark and zany due to its premise, and especially how crazy some if not most of the drivers are.

Yeah, I grew up on Twisted Metal 2 as well. And yeah, Dark Tooth was super scary. Never liked playing the game alone. XD

I've never played 2012, but I've looked up gameplay and cutscenes from the story, as I'm super interested in the lore.

But yeah, honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Twisted Metal come back again. Maybe even a remastered version of some of the older games? Remastering older games seems to be a trend.

Mathim

How have they never made a movie out of this franchise? It just doesn't seem possible for all the video game rights that have been licensed for them never to have done one.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

okintsukoro

Quote from: Mathim on July 10, 2019, 01:27:19 PM
How have they never made a movie out of this franchise? It just doesn't seem possible for all the video game rights that have been licensed for them never to have done one.

I know right? I mean, they could easily center it around a few main drivers, and Sweet Tooth would look pretty cool on the big screen honestly. And if the main movie did well, maybe Sweet Tooth could get his own spin-off. XP

Mathim

Quote from: okintsukoro on July 10, 2019, 07:57:25 PM
I know right? I mean, they could easily center it around a few main drivers, and Sweet Tooth would look pretty cool on the big screen honestly. And if the main movie did well, maybe Sweet Tooth could get his own spin-off. XP

I'm more just thinking that as bad as the Fast and Furious movies are, they make bank. Twisted Metal takes that idea to the extreme so how did they figure it wouldn't work too? Even as a one-off.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

okintsukoro

Quote from: Mathim on July 11, 2019, 07:46:38 AM
I'm more just thinking that as bad as the Fast and Furious movies are, they make bank. Twisted Metal takes that idea to the extreme so how did they figure it wouldn't work too? Even as a one-off.

Even Mad Max seems to fit it aesthetically. I feel like it could've worked, yeah.

Mathim

Well I don't know how accurate it is to the overall lore but the bizarre concept from the third game of that Calypso weirdo holding the Twisted Metal tournament and granting the winner a wish while the losers get a horrible death would certainly set it apart from other sci-fi racing movies. The fact that there are so many locations and the cars can pick up powerups and aren't actually racing but are in fact only trying to obliterate the other competitors would also make it very distinct. Plus the variety of vehicles like Sweet Tooth's ice cream truck and Axel's human-sized wheels without an actual car body would have been memorable on the big screen compared to the limited animation of the games. Did no one in any marketing firm anywhere on Earth even TRY to figure out whether this would be a viable project? I've never heard an excuse rendered for why they'd all pass on it for so long. We all know Hollywood is desperate for ideas and half of everything they produce is a sequel, prequel, midquel, hard reboot, soft reboot, re-imagining or spin-off of things they've already made so this would have the benefit of at least being the most original film of its kind without the cumbersome baggage of bloated sequels...until it gets its own.

Cold Heritage

I loved Twisted Metal 2, enjoyed but was indifferent to 3, and I honestly cannot remember much about Black beyond the rendition of Paint It Black that they got their licensing fee out of and that one character was a woman with a doll mask she could not remove who drove a big rig. There was one of them that had real people movies and I watched the Sweet Tooth ones on youtube and they are fan-freaking-tastic.

I think the biggest hurdle in terms of storytelling is that Twisted Metal doesn't really have a clear protagonist that you could get a bankable star to play and for the audience to care about. The characters in Twisted Metal are all pretty terrible people. The franchise isn't really popular enough to bank on nostalgia.

Quote from: Mathim on July 11, 2019, 07:46:38 AM

Quote from: okintsukoro on July 11, 2019, 08:45:49 PM
Even Mad Max seems to fit it aesthetically. I feel like it could've worked, yeah.

There was Death Race, too, which is similar to Twisted Metal.

Actually, looking at Wikipedia, there was Death Race 2000 (which was made in '75 and is the one I thought of), then a remake in '08 with Jason Statham (which I actually remembered watching after I did some wikipedia-ing), and then like three direct to dvd sequels in the reboot franchise, and then Death Race 2050 which is apparently a sequel to Deathrace 2000 of '75.

The '08 movie looks like it didn't do too bad - the box office listed on its wikipedia page is bigger than its budget. But obviously it wasn't Fast and Furious successful.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Mathim

If you marketed Twisted Metal as being very over-the-top from the beginning, that would be its appeal so they would just have to focus on that. You don't necessarily have to make the characters in the movie the exact same as in the games, you could make several of them sympathetic and root for them against psychos like Sweet Tooth and Minion. There's a lot that can set it apart from F&F and Death Race and others. It would be like the Wachowskis' Speed Racer if it was rated NC-17.

okintsukoro

Quote from: Cold Heritage on July 12, 2019, 01:41:17 AM
I loved Twisted Metal 2, enjoyed but was indifferent to 3, and I honestly cannot remember much about Black beyond the rendition of Paint It Black that they got their licensing fee out of and that one character was a woman with a doll mask she could not remove who drove a big rig. There was one of them that had real people movies and I watched the Sweet Tooth ones on youtube and they are fan-freaking-tastic.

I think the biggest hurdle in terms of storytelling is that Twisted Metal doesn't really have a clear protagonist that you could get a bankable star to play and for the audience to care about. The characters in Twisted Metal are all pretty terrible people. The franchise isn't really popular enough to bank on nostalgia.

There was Death Race, too, which is similar to Twisted Metal.

Actually, looking at Wikipedia, there was Death Race 2000 (which was made in '75 and is the one I thought of), then a remake in '08 with Jason Statham (which I actually remembered watching after I did some wikipedia-ing), and then like three direct to dvd sequels in the reboot franchise, and then Death Race 2050 which is apparently a sequel to Deathrace 2000 of '75.

The '08 movie looks like it didn't do too bad - the box office listed on its wikipedia page is bigger than its budget. But obviously it wasn't Fast and Furious successful.

The live-action clips are unused cutscenes from the very first Twisted Metal. Admittedly I'm a little bit biased towards the titles of the series where the original creators actually had a hand to play in the making of the game, but most of them get the idea right.

I think one potential in a movie is to have a focus on two 'protags' as it were: a straight up lawful cop who enters to put down Calypso and his contest for good and the driver with a dark past who wants to make up for their darkness by using their wish to do right by someone. Then for antagonists there can be a split between Calypso as the 'overseeing big bad' with some partial good traits because of the small bit of guilt in the back of his mind in regards to his daughter and maybe even his little sister, and Sweet Tooth being the active antagonist of the contest.