What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on June 03, 2016, 08:14:33 AM
  What? It was absolutely a foot note in the game. The aggressor is forgettable, gone very early with barely any screen time, and if you don't do the quick time event he doesn't rape Lara, he just strangles her to death, in an incredibly unnecessarily sexual way.

A foot note would mean it has no impact, which it clearly does, otherwise we wouldn't be talking about it, now would we?

We are talking about pop culture, there's no need to try and ambush me by bringing real life into the discussion without indicating it, since the example you sighted of males suffering was robocop.

I'm not ambushing you, I'm literally asking you what you meant by that. Because I do not understand why rape is any different in a list of horrible things to have happen to protagonists if investment is your goal, beyond the fact that it's the low hanging fruit.

Never lightly? Oh please, prison rape is a go to joke in pop culture. And yes, males are sometimes the victims of sexual violence in pop culture, but very rarely. See the response to when Daniel Craig as James Bond had his thighs fondled by a male villain.

In pop culture. I mentioned specifically movies and games, not pop culture. And not sometimes, look a lot of prison dramas. Heck, just go watch Prison Break, if memory serves, there's more than one scene of attempted rape in there.

You mean Jennifer Laurence, the female star who was recently involved in a controversy over earning less than her male peers?

Let me look up the details about that, because just like a lot of other controversies, I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is far more to this than merely more wage gape/earnings gap whining.

And this is sexist, which a fair few people would like to see changed.

Why? I just told you that today, both male and females are subjected to the same tactics to illicit investment.

Its not that simple. The default victim, especially of something sexual, is female. You are pretty much arguing 10 is greater than 12 if you disagree with that assertion. You cannot simple the issue down to "it happens to males and females" for a number of reasons.

True, I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure rape happens to far more women than men. And this is indicative of sexism, how?
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lilias on June 03, 2016, 08:11:46 AM
This is what true bravery looks like.

Dear lord that's horrible. I've been reading more and more about this lately. Is there a rise in awareness for it?

Lilias

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 03, 2016, 08:27:09 AM
Dear lord that's horrible. I've been reading more and more about this lately. Is there a rise in awareness for it?

There is a concerted effort to raise awareness in invisible illness, from the spoon theory to individuals like this girl. Unfortunately, too many people became aware that Crohn's was a thing only when Anastacia made it big.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lilias on June 03, 2016, 08:43:11 AM
There is a concerted effort to raise awareness in invisible illness, from the spoon theory to individuals like this girl. Unfortunately, too many people became aware that Crohn's was a thing only when Anastacia made it big.

I suppose celebrities still hold the general ear to this day? I like to think the internet and platforms like YouTube have at least made it somewhat easier for people to get their stories across to the general public. I'll gladly admit I barely knew, and still don't know much about it.

Beorning

Some good news for a change:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/03/japanese-boy-yamato-tanooka-missing-forest-found-alive-punishment-parents

This story has been on the news for a few days here. I admit that I didn't believe in a happy ending to this...

Oniya

I was just reading that :D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 03, 2016, 08:26:05 AMA foot note would mean it has no impact, which it clearly does, otherwise we wouldn't be talking about it, now would we?

We are discussing it now because it was heavily criticized, and thus gained media attention, for using such a heavy tool for a foot note scene. Can you tell me anything about that scene other than the fact that it looked like she was going to get raped? Any details about its placement in the story, its contribution to the narrative, or how it was later referenced?

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 03, 2016, 08:26:05 AMI'm not ambushing you, I'm literally asking you what you meant by that.

Then you ask "What do you mean by that?" Your question was loaded with the implication that I didn't know prison rape and child molestation were a thing.

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 03, 2016, 08:26:05 AMIn pop culture. I mentioned specifically movies and games, not pop culture.

Movies and video games aren't pop culture?

"cultural activities or commercial products reflecting, suited to, or aimed at the tastes of the general masses of people."

Videogames are a billion dollar industry. They aren't niche markets anymore, and movies have been part of pop culture since before I was born.

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 03, 2016, 08:26:05 AMLet me look up the details about that, because just like a lot of other controversies, I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is far more to this than merely more wage gape/earnings gap whining.

That's not skepticism, that's pretty close to a confirmation bias. Since you've already made up your mind on what the issue is, its going to be a bit suspect as to how thoroughly you researched the matter if you just happen to find a narrative that matches the one you made up in advance.

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 03, 2016, 08:26:05 AMWhy? I just told you that today, both male and females are subjected to the same tactics to illicit investment.

No, you acknowledged that to illicit investment from woman, they are threatened with sexual assault, whilst for males its their brother dying. That is not "the same tactics" by a long shot.

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 03, 2016, 08:26:05 AMTrue, I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure rape happens to far more women than men. And this is indicative of sexism, how?

We are already pushing the limits of what can be discussed on a thread intended for single posts and then maybe some brief comments, but sufficient to say there is a lot of material on that subject matter on both sides. I'd encourage you to go research the topic, but given that you seemed to decided what was behind the "wage whining" issue apparently minutes after first learning about the matter doesn't leave me with high hopes.

Renegade Vile

EDIT: I removed this post and immediately sent is as a PM instead of leaving it here and just saying we could continue over PM simply because I realized that I was just posting more long replied right before admitting that this thread is not intended for it. As I mentioned before, feel free to respond over PM, LisztesFerenc, if you wish to.

Lilias

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 03, 2016, 03:22:38 PM
EDIT: I removed this post and immediately sent is as a PM instead of leaving it here and just saying we could continue over PM simply because I realized that I was just posting more long replied right before admitting that this thread is not intended for it. As I mentioned before, feel free to respond over PM, LisztesFerenc, if you wish to.

There is also the Dialogues subsection at the top of this board. :-)
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on June 03, 2016, 11:24:55 AM
Some good news for a change:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/03/japanese-boy-yamato-tanooka-missing-forest-found-alive-punishment-parents

This story has been on the news for a few days here. I admit that I didn't believe in a happy ending to this...

He throws rocks at cars. So they ABANDON HIM in BEAR INFESTED WOODS? That's not punishment, that's attempted murder (fillicide?).

Lustful Bride

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 03, 2016, 11:52:06 PM
Boxer Muhammad Ali died today.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/muhammad-ali-dies-greatest-boxer-dead-74/story?id=18391211

It's becoming eerie how many high profile names have started dying off in recent years. I suppose it only makes sense, in past decades, the people that were passing on were from before my time, a lot of these individuals were still very active while I was growing up.
Damn shame. At least he seems to have passed peacefully.

Neroon

They are already calling this the year of the obituary.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Cycle

"I have been treated unfairly by this judge.  Now this judge is of Mexican heritage, I'm building a wall."  - Trump, D.

"Hating people because of their color is wrong.  And it doesn't matter which color does the hating.  It's just plain wrong."  - Ali, M.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Neroon on June 04, 2016, 06:50:42 AM
They are already calling this the year of the obituary.

Last year wasn't much better though; or the year before if memory serves. I'm still mourning Leslie Nielsen from years before that. Never again will we see Police Squad.

Lilias

Quote from: Cycle on June 04, 2016, 08:05:38 AM
"I have been treated unfairly by this judge.  Now this judge is of Mexican heritage, I'm building a wall."  - Trump, D.

"Hating people because of their color is wrong.  And it doesn't matter which color does the hating.  It's just plain wrong."  - Ali, M.

At least Ali didn't live to see himself needing a special exception from Trump in order to live in his own country and move in and out of it as he pleased. Because, yanno, Muslim terrorists.
~Wendell Berry

AmberStarfire

TaintedAndDelish

Renegade Vile

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on June 05, 2016, 04:34:25 PM
European churches say growing flock of Muslim refugees are converting 
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/05/european-churches-growing-flock-muslim-refugees-converting-christianity

This genuinely surprises me as I've not heard about this in local news. Not quite sure what to make of it. I hope those remaining Muslim and those converting don't start clashing over these issues. Immigrants have a hard enough time adapting to a completely new country as it is without their chosen religion causing friction among each other...

Lilias

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 06, 2016, 02:38:42 AM
This genuinely surprises me as I've not heard about this in local news. Not quite sure what to make of it. I hope those remaining Muslim and those converting don't start clashing over these issues. Immigrants have a hard enough time adapting to a completely new country as it is without their chosen religion causing friction among each other...

Islam punishes apostasy with death, so I suspect that the anonymity and overall neediness of the refugee community makes converts feel safer from getting a fatwa on their heads.
~Wendell Berry

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lilias on June 06, 2016, 02:56:08 AM
Islam punishes apostasy with death, so I suspect that the anonymity and overall neediness of the refugee community makes converts feel safer from getting a fatwa on their heads.

You'd think so, but here in Belgium, there's been loads of fights, brawls and tension over far less in the refugee communities... A few months back, a large brawl broke out simply because some Christian refugees from Syria were inserted into a largely Muslim camp. They were attacked and had to be removed while the refugees in the camp stated that the camp was Muslim. A camp run by the Belgian government. I suppose it's not strictly the same thing as this article isn't only dealing with Muslim refugees that need to be housed in camps, but still...

TaintedAndDelish

Deeply rooted religion is not something you just part with on a whim. You have to wonder how much of this is actual conversion and how much of it is just people playing the part in order to survive.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on June 06, 2016, 04:17:31 AM
Deeply rooted religion is not something you just part with on a whim. You have to wonder how much of this is actual conversion and how much of it is just people playing the part in order to survive.

I suppose this also depends on how deeply rooted it really for some of these people. Islam is a -massive- part of the culture, mindset and traditions of people in the Middle-East, and beyond in some cases, but how many of them really do genuinely believe and how many of them believe only because they are told to?
Though, if they did not believe, why would they then just genuinely convert to a different religion that, while less violent in present day, isn't any more grounded in reality?
As you can tell, I have no idea what to think of this *snorts*.