Anthony Weiner Controversy - Perspective of Roleplayers

Started by Valthazar, July 25, 2013, 02:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valthazar

As many of you have probably heard, Anthony Weiner (former democratic NY congressman, and current NYC mayoral candidate) has become implicated in another scandal that has caused a firestorm in the media, and seems to have negatively affected his campaign.  Previously in 2011, he was involved in an initial scandal for the same reason, and resigned from his congressional post.   (Source)

Basically, it appears that he engaged in some sexually explicit dialogue with women online, and sent some inappropriate pictures.  Surprisingly, the focus this time has been on his wife – Huma Abedin.  Many are wondering why she is standing behind this man after he has again become involved in this activity.  Many people, both in politics and in the public, have urged him to step down from his campaign due to these controversies. 

The reason I made this thread, is to get the opinion of people who roleplay.  I am assuming that many people on this forum are married, and their spouses are very much aware of the fact that they write adult material both in a formal sense, as well as perhaps more casually through IM.  While I can certainly understand that Weiner’s decision to send explicit pictures was pretty dumb, what is your opinion of his behavior?  While from a political public relations perspective, his wife has to portray the image of a very traditional marriage, what is to say that within the context of their marriage, Ms. Abedin is completely okay with her husband chatting with other women purely online?  (Similar to peoples' spouses on here being okay with roleplaying/chatting purely online).  It is important to note that he never met any of the women in person, and all communication was limited to the internet and phone.

Nancy Pelosi recently stated that, “It is so disrespectful of women, and what's really stunning about it is they don't even realize, they don't have a clue.” (Source)

While I wholeheartedly agree that Mr. Weiner should have known better – especially since he is a public figure, should he really be demonized in this manner?  I am struggling to understand how his behavior is disrespectful of women, especially since we are not aware of the details of his marriage.  Perhaps similar to many married people on here, his spouse is aware of his behavior, and understands that it is in the context of online interaction and fantasy.

I’m just interested in getting your thoughts on this.  Obviously sending the pictures was a really dumb thing to do, but it appears that much of this controversy centers on the his messages and communication.  Clearly he should have learned his lesson the first time, but I'm just interested in getting your thoughts on the modern day 'ethics' of this behavior.   For example, if someone on this forum were to run for public office in 5-10 years, and someone dug up their past roleplaying history on E, along with the fact that they were married, should they be under scrutiny?

Retribution

My general reaction to such things is who cares and it is none of my business.  What does concern is the lack of thought that goes into engaging in something like that when you know if you are running for office or in office and the media ever gets a hold of it that it will be a feeding frenzy. In other words I kind of want to smack them in the head and ask what they are thinking. But in this case Mr. Weiner was mostly honest about it and did not lie and side step when he got busted. I actually find that rather refreshing.

So I guess my stance is I do not care other than the lack of wisdom it shows for people in certain positions. But if/when you get caught man up.

Valthazar

I agree.  It just seems completely blown up for some reason, front page news everywhere.  I'm struggling to see how this is any barometer of his 'ethics.'  Probably tells us that he isn't too bright, but still, I don't really see any issue with it.

This story broke out a couple of days ago, and now again it is front page news, about how he chatted intimately with 3 women.  Do people really care?

Plot Hooks

I've been pondering the same things myself.

Here's the thing that strikes me.  Weiner hasn't exactly made himself out as a champion of conservative values, so I don't see much hypocracy in what he's done.  Had you had some self-righteous 'defender of marriage' type, I would be much more inclined to ridicule the guy.

I think that it was a dumb thing to do as a politician, even if his wife is totally down with it.  Not sure I want to put that sort of person in charge of making important decisions because it calls judgement into question.  And if his wife *is* totally down with it, they should be more forward about it, and I think it would be even less of an issue.

If it were me 10 years down the line and my E life was exposed, I think I would respond with "My wife knows about this, it is an accepted and even condoned part of our marriage, and if you enjoy spying on people's sex lives so much, perhaps you should vote for someone who will fight to expand the powers of the NSA, because I'm going to do my damndest to defund it."
"Cut me down or let me run.  Either way it's all gonna burn." - Joe (The Protomen)

Ons/Offs       Ideas          A/A

Oniya

My view is that if you're following the rules, you're not cheating.  Who makes the rules?  You and your partner.

Now - if he's sending out pictures like that unrequested, then that's going to put him on the same level as a non-politician who does that.  (Back before picture phones, you had to stand out in the park wearing a trench-coat to do the same thing, if you know what I mean.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shjade

I've never understood why anything sex-related is a high-profile issue in politics.

There are far worse things politicians can be involved with than some racy sexual interests. Unless it affects their job performance, why does anyone give a shit?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Kythia

Did they (the girls he was talking to) know he was married?  That's the only way I can think it might be even slightly disrespectful, if he was leading them on or something.

Valthazar

Quote from: Kythia on July 25, 2013, 04:45:03 PM
Did they (the girls he was talking to) know he was married?  That's the only way I can think it might be even slightly disrespectful, if he was leading them on or something.

Of course they knew who he was, he identified himself.  What a dumb decision though to not be anonymous.

Question Mark

The only reason this is a scandal is because anti-Weiner groups are using this as ammunition against his campaign and because the media knows it'll attract consumers.

Weiner's sexual practices have absolutely zero impact on his ability to govern.  Sure, it may be unsavory or even disgusting depending on your views, but we're not electing the man for his sexuality, we're electing him to run the goddamn city!  That is what people should be considering, his validity as a mayoral candidate.  I bet if you asked the average American, though, they wouldn't even be able to tell you his party, but they could give you an earful about this scandal!

I like Oniya's point about his activities being a consensual, legal thing.  If Weiner had been engaged in illegal activities, well, that'd be another story.

Moving past all of this nonsense for a moment, I have to say Weiner is one of my favorite congressmen, along with Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders.  This is primarily due to his willingness to actually do his job as a congressman and faithfully represent his constituents, but also for this amazing rant he delivered after the GOP voted down a bill giving health care to 9/11 aid workers (if memory serves).

Raw Video: N.Y. Rep Weiner's Anti-GOP Rant

Retribution

And the insanity rolls on! Last night while vegetating with a cold beverage in front of the TV one of his playmates was on tabloid TV. She was saying how manipulated she was by Mr. Weiner and how disgusted she is by him. Of course this is after she sent him naked pics. The jaded part of me when I saw it as I surfed past saw a dollar sign in a thought bubble over her head and went "kaching."

vtboy

What is truly disgusting is our society's obsession with tongue clucking. Who among us has no kinks? I don't know whether Weiner had disclosed his more recent indulgences to Huma or not, but whose business is this but theirs?

Nancy Pelosi's framing of the matter in the language of gender politics was shamelessly exploitive, insulting and condescending to women who engage in sexting, and, in my view, far more deplorable than Weiner's presumed betrayal of Huma.

All that said, Weiner's decision to run for mayor, despite having continued to engage in the same behaviors that brought about his resignation from Congress, reflects both a serious deficiency in thought and a capacity for self-deception which do not speak well of his qualifications for responsible public office.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: vtboy on July 26, 2013, 05:57:59 AM
What is truly disgusting is our society's obsession with tongue clucking. Who among us has no kinks? I don't know whether Weiner had disclosed his more recent indulgences to Huma or not, but whose business is this but theirs?

Nancy Pelosi's framing of the matter in the language of gender politics was shamelessly exploitive, insulting and condescending to women who engage in sexting, and, in my view, far more deplorable than Weiner's presumed betrayal of Huma.

All that said, Weiner's decision to run for mayor, despite having continued to engage in the same behaviors that brought about his resignation from Congress, reflects both a serious deficiency in thought and a capacity for self-deception which do not speak well of his qualifications for responsible public office.

+1. Could certainly be said Weiner was dangrously naive in using his real name in these online contacts, he should have known what an easy target that would make him, but the actual content of what he's been up to is hardly that worthy fo all the condemnation, it's more cheesy.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Mathim

Even what Bill Clinton was doing was none of anyone's business. This is even worse punishment for a 'lesser' offense. So much hysterical paranoia about sex, and hypocrisy. Haven't people figured out by now that their parents lied about going blind if they touch themselves? It's time to start hating the people who spread bullshit like that and stop hating the people who do those things; I mean, seriously, what does this boil down to if not closet jealousy?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Retribution

My issue with Clinton on that whole thing always was that he weaseled and tried to play word games. I do not really give a shit what he did in that regard, but if you get busted man up. *shrugs* of course not like any politician has ever been real good at going "yeah you got me there."

Neysha

Anthony Weiner shoild either stop apologizing or step down. He's shown he's incapable of showing restraint so he should openly state his habits openly and that he's comfortable with it and let the cards fall where they do or stop insulting his intended constituents with his dishonest charade of discretion and apology ad nauseam.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Oniya

Until we outgrow the idea that sex - or sexual talk - between consenting adults is 'bad', I can understand people (including politicians) not wanting to 'fess up' to it. 

And yes, if you're a famous person, you have to watch out for people who will use that sort of thing for their fifteen minutes of fame.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Neysha

I have no problem with Weiner sex talk if its consensual, my only issue is that he denies it and lies about it and then apologizes for it and repeats the process. Maybe its too bad if his constituents aren't as open minded as he is, but he's the one rumning as their elected representative. If they can't deal with it its his problem as unfair as that sounds.

So Weiner should make the choice of being responsible and stating bla bla I like sexting and showing off dicktures, but that doesn't mitigate my ability to represent NYC yadda yadda or he should step out of the race because if he can't be honest, then he'sbeing dishonest. And continuing his behavior undercover will distract from real issues and make out Weiner as someone rightly or wrongly, as someone who continually shows poor judgment, naivety and lack of discretion and self control, as well as showing less regard for his constituents thanks to the PR nightmare and media scrutiny.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

vtboy

Quote from: Neysha on July 26, 2013, 11:09:55 AM
I have no problem with Weiner sex talk if its consensual, my only issue is that he denies it and lies about it and then apologizes for it and repeats the process. Maybe its too bad if his constituents aren't as open minded as he is, but he's the one rumning as their elected representative. If they can't deal with it its his problem as unfair as that sounds.

So Weiner should make the choice of being responsible and stating bla bla I like sexting and showing off dicktures, but that doesn't mitigate my ability to represent NYC yadda yadda or he should step out of the race because if he can't be honest, then he'sbeing dishonest. And continuing his behavior undercover will distract from real issues and make out Weiner as someone rightly or wrongly, as someone who continually shows poor judgment, naivety and lack of discretion and self control, as well as showing less regard for his constituents thanks to the PR nightmare and media scrutiny.

Unfortunately, Weiner more or less sided with his detractors by resigning his office and seeking therapy when the story first came out. Had he possessed the courage and judgment in the first instance to take the position you've outlined, he may very well have survived the storm. In effectively conceding his appetite is the product of disease or moral failing, the opportunity to tell voters to get over this nonsense has probably been lost.

Not that I bemoan the loss of a politician who lacks the courage of his perversions.

TheGlyphstone

While agreeing with a lot of people here - both the 'none of anyone's business' side and the 'he did it, got caught, take his licks honestly' camp, I still can't keep my inner sophomore from breaking out in giggling fits when I see a politician named 'Weiner' embroiled in a sex-related controversy. :D

Kythia

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 26, 2013, 03:26:27 PM
While agreeing with a lot of people here - both the 'none of anyone's business' side and the 'he did it, got caught, take his licks honestly' camp, I still can't keep my inner sophomore from breaking out in giggling fits when I see a politician named 'Weiner' embroiled in a sex-related controversy. :D

I'm so glad someone said that.  Pretending to be mature about this whole thing has been driving me slowly towards an ulcer.

bubby

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 26, 2013, 03:26:27 PM

This is why I watch get my news from The Daily Show and Colbert Report.  ;D

Oniya

Quote from: Kythia on July 26, 2013, 03:35:38 PM
I'm so glad someone said that.  Pretending to be mature about this whole thing has been driving me slowly towards an ulcer.

Quoted for truth.   

It could have been worse, though.  He could have been this guy.

alextaylor

Quote from: Shjade on July 25, 2013, 04:29:17 PM
I've never understood why anything sex-related is a high-profile issue in politics.

There are far worse things politicians can be involved with than some racy sexual interests. Unless it affects their job performance, why does anyone give a shit?

Yeah, this. Everyone makes mistakes, even if it's things like alcoholism or getting in a fight 30 years before. Society assumes that the people who hold high profile jobs are perfect.

I think people just get all flustered up when they get caught naked, and the more flustered they get, the more media loves it.

Quote from: gaggedLouise on July 26, 2013, 06:16:40 AM
+1. Could certainly be said Weiner was dangrously naive in using his real name in these online contacts, he should have known what an easy target that would make him, but the actual content of what he's been up to is hardly that worthy fo all the condemnation, it's more cheesy.

I think that's his kink - giving his name and pictures, knowing that he could get caught, but enjoying the fact that he hadn't been caught. Something like exhibitionism.
O/O

Valthazar

Quote from: alextaylor on July 26, 2013, 06:36:48 PM
Yeah, this. Everyone makes mistakes, even if it's things like alcoholism or getting in a fight 30 years before. Society assumes that the people who hold high profile jobs are perfect.

I agree, but apparently it is not just people in high profile jobs.  It seems a lot of people are 'offended' by his behavior.  Just check out the video on this page.  As much as I agree with everyone else's views on here about this, it seems many Americans don't see this stuff in the same way.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/26/ny-voter-confronts-weiner-for-double-standard/

Torch

Quote from: Kythia on July 26, 2013, 03:35:38 PM

The NYC area papers have been having a field day with Weiner headlines for years. A few gems:

Weiner Pulls Out - NY Post

Weiner's Second Coming - NY Post

Weiner Says I'll Stick It Out - NY Post

Same Old Schlong And Dance - NY Daily News

Weiner's Pickle - NY Daily News

Of course, not to be outdone, a few Eliot Spitzer (former NY State Governor who resigned after a prostitution scandal) headlines:

Here We Ho Again - NY Post

Ho No - NY Post

Lust For Power - NY Daily News

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's