News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

PS3 or Xbox 360?

Started by Inkidu, March 15, 2011, 02:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Well, despite the title I'm probably going to get a 360. My whole game library is 360 titles. I just priced a new PS3 vs. a new 360 and they both come out to $324 American. I know the PS3 is headed for another price drop and probably will be around for a long time still. What I want to know is this:

If I do eventually want a PS3 (May of this year is most likely when I'd have the money) is it worth getting? Are there just enough exclusive titles to justify it? I've already knocked ones off like Little Big Planet. I don't like create your own stuff games. I don't pay people sixty bucks a pop to have me do all the work. Demon Soul is also out, as well as anything heavily online based (at the moment of writing this). I don't know about Heavy Rain. I've never liked point-and-click games, and it sure seems a little too cinematic.

I've just never looked at the PS3 market. Never had to. My local Gamestop was oddly unhelpful in this. All they had to offer was that it was Blu-Ray and I got my stuff on one disk instead of two and that Blu-Ray lasted longer. Kind of pointless to a guy who comes from the old school of game care where all the disks were in there original cases and in alphabetical order. I just don't know...

So if someone could just rail off a list of PS3 only titles that would probably do me some good. I don't really care from what year just as long as it has good things said about it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Soran

Inkidu, I understand where you are coming from. I had to make the choice as well over Christmas and bought a 360. The PS3 does have some mighty titles exclusive to it though. Uncharted 2 won game of the year from many gaming sites for the incredible story and action and that Uncharted 3 will be arriving (possibly) sometime this year. There is also Metal gear solid 4 if you like the MGS series. Gran Turismo 5 is available, but in this gamers humble opinion isn't as good as Forza 3.

*Edit* not forgetting god of war 3 and the killzone series*

Here's a list of a particular sights favorite top ten ps3 only games. :)

http://www.gameguru.in/sony-playstation-3/2010/16/the-top-10-ps3-exclusive-games/

I hope that helps.

I am rather fortunate that I can borrow my friends ps3 whenever, so the 360 was my natural choice

Inkidu

I heard Uncharted was good. I don't care for racing sims. The fact that I need to have actually worked on high-end sports cars to play them turns me off, even Forza. I did see some good ones on that list. The only Metal Gear Solid game I have ever played though was 3. I loved it, but from what everyone tells me three is better than four and I'm just kind of worried that I'll have no idea what is going on in the game.

I looked at the list and right now they're batting 60% for games I'd actually not hesitate getting. I've got nothing against the PS3 it's just it hit store shelves with all the grace of a drunken cow. When it came down to picking the console that had been out for a year and had an established library it was no contest. I was a little incensed with the price tag on it too. Now, I'm not a raving fanboy. I like good games wherever they happen to roam.

However, I have to think about money first. I loved my Wii, but it just doesn't have the library of new games that I just have to play to justify buying another one.

I used to love PC games but I'm noticing a steady decline in the tangible game market and just don't have the internet or the drive to constantly update my machine.

My problem is that I've kind of been able to write off PS3 because so many of the games I want right now are cross-platform it seems. I think the only strictly 360 game I own is Fable 3. Even Mass Effect 2 is on all of them now.

Sorry just trying to get all my ducks in a row. 

They also said if you want RPGs the PS3 is for you. I looked and an awful lot of them are JRPGs. A genre I'm decidedly soured against.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Spell

As for RPG's, yes, most RPG's on the PS3 are JRPG's. Some are exclusive, like Demon's Souls.

However, the 360 also has it's fair amount of exclusive RPG's (I can tell, I have played and 100%'ed most RPG's on the 360) like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey *Drools at Lost Odyssey* and MagnaCarta 2

Ahem. Also, there is yer more Western type RPG's like Mass Effect ( Which came to the PS3 now though) and Dragon Age, but obviously, most are multiplatform. Also, upcoming RPG's like Elder Scrolls 5 and the lot are also multiplatform, and there are some many more RPG's on both like Eternal Sonata, NIER, Resonance of Fate, FFXIII FFXIII II, etc etc, so as far as RPG's go, both have a solid library.

*Hides*
Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

Callie Del Noire

I have both, and have played on both. I find that the Xbox has been a better console, with the online segments are nicer and easier to use. The Playstation network was simply not as easy to use or search.

The exclusive games for the Playstation that I want to play are the reason are only reason that I still have the PS3 at all.

Inkidu

I DON"T like JRPGs. That's hardly going to be a factor when I purchase my console. I'm probably going to get the new 360. It apparently has WiFi built in. If, and this is sketchy as far as I can tell, my house gets wireless internet (unlimited) then I can get live. However, online is not crucial either.

As it stands now the PS3 is never going to get bought. Sorry Sony.

How reliable are the new Xbox 360s on the breakage issues?

Soran

Yep, the WiFi is built in, although I use a wired connection since it's just a couple of feet from my router.

My xbox360 has seen a lot of action since Christmas (I mean A LOT) and not had a single glitch. The biggest issues were generally keeping the thing cool so I've made sure I have a good few inches all the way around, kept it horizontal and knocked open the window which is just a couple of feet away. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I've been having with mine and maybe I'll see you on xbl. :)

Inkidu

I wonder how hot it gets, and I also wonder if that was because they chose a black paint job instead of white. Seriously, I have to wonder how much heat is absorb/radiated because of the paint job. If push comes to shove though I can pull it out onto the coffee table and set up my standing fan to blow across it.

Soran

Here's a neat video of how a naked 360 looks. It may (or may not) answer some of your questions concerning the cooling aspects :)

Inkidu

That was really neat, Soran. Took forever to load and watch but cool. Though I'd never do that to mine. Never.

Soran

Glad you enjoyed it...aanndd nnnooo, I'd never do that to mine either! *Grins*